Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    jr251136 said:
    Mike is channeling Jonny Greenwood!

With all due respect to Radiohead, they have evolved with painstaking effort over their entire careers to evolve to an electronica art rock  sound

This song makes me think of Halloween. They are putting on a costume for show. With close to the worst lyrical  chorus of all time.
    I dunno, to me there is something genuine and awesome about how this song evolved and was made per Stone - trying out new things is what being a musician is all about!  No costumes, just instruments and minds

I love the chorus lyrically too but that is just me

I wrote the comment before I saw the personnel listing posted above. Interesting there is of switching to new instruments. It sounds like it.

when Kid A came out, the departure was expected and understood. It sounded like a bold but natural progression, and the band had the experience with experimentation to pull off such a stylistic change.

but it’s interesting experience is not needed in pop music. Eilish comes to mind. Tons of accolades for a young person but her melodies sound very inexperienced.

when I heard DotC I was like uh oh, it’s gonna get ugly fast. I’m happy I’m in the minority and fans like it. 
  • Options
    pulling69 said:
    Well looks like we have our new standard opening song to replace Pendulum. Dance into a standard opener like Of the Girl or Release or Long Road? Yes please!
    I like the way you think!

Imagine the lights go down, and you just see Matt Cameron walk up to the stage and start playing this drum beat.  Then Stone and Jeff with bass and keys, while blue cascading lights fill the crowd.  Then Mike with the funky guitar part while Ed walks on stage and begins - cue the crowd going crazy
    Thank you for this image is so perfect!  B)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    Hopefully this is a one off song and not an ongoing attempt to hang with the Lanas and Posts of the world. In that case it’s into Channel 23 for me for good.

Lana Del Rey is kickass though, but different style ofc.  I hear more Prince and Talking Heads in this than I do Lana

I know she has a lot of fans overall and on here as well. I agree it’s less LDR and  more Prince than her. I was attempting to reference current pop music culture and trends.

im not sure if it’s obvious, but I do a lot of skipping thru my Apple new music playlist. Something about the current evolution of the beat is off putting for me, 

Jambi just came on the radio,,,,, ahhhh .... shine on forever.
  • Options
    I loved it, I can't wait to hear it live! 
  • Options
    CJ206326 said:
    pulling69 said:
    Well looks like we have our new standard opening song to replace Pendulum. Dance into a standard opener like Of the Girl or Release or Long Road? Yes please!

Imagine the lights go down, and you just see Matt Cameron walk up to the stage and start playing this drum beat.  Then Stone and Jeff with bass and keys, while blue cascading lights fill the crowd.  Then Mike with the funky guitar part while Ed walks on stage and begins - cue the crowd going crazy
    Quote gave me goose bumps. Love it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    RelishRelish Posts: 18
    1st listen via cell phone low volume - Not impressed. Could not discern digital drum sound and bass. 
    2nd listen with headphones - Much better. Great bass tone. For me, too much in the vain of "You Are" which I do not love. I hope this turns out to be one of the skippable tracks on the release. I guess I just miss good *old* 90's style rock. Maybe the rest of the album will surprise!
    San Diego 6/26/1995
    San Diego Sports Arena 11/6/1995
    Seattle (Key Arena) 9/16/1996
    Las Vegas (Thomas & Mack) 7/11/1998
    Boston (Tweeter Center) 8/29/2000
    San Bernardino (Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion) 10/28/2000
    Irvine (Verizon Wireless Amphitheater) 6/2/2003
    Las Vegas MGM 6/6/2003
    LA (Gibson) 9/30/2009
    LA (Gibson) 10/7/2009
    San Diego Viejas Arena 8/7/2013
    Boston - Fenway 9/2/2018
    + a couple more I cannot remember ...
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 823
    edited January 2020
    The first time hearing the intro I was half expecting Jemaine Clement to start singing about too many dicks or the humans are dead or whatever.

It's new wavy and we all know Ed is massively influenced by Split Enz but it's still so new wavy that on first listen it throws you off that that voice (Ed's) is singing on a song like that. The synthy background tones also remind me of The Getaway album by the Chilis. Love Mike's guitar on it.

Only two listens so far, I don't know if I like it but I'm pretty sure I don't dislike it. Admire their balls putting out such a different song-which reminds me of Who You Are in the No Code era, having said that we already know it's just not the same band as the guys from the early 90s.

It's evolution, baby.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Lukeat911Lukeat911 Nashville, TN Posts: 175
    Loving after a few listens. Last 2 minutes are awesome. Already wanted to find a way to Baltimore. Now need to find a way. 
  • Options
    How fuckin cool. My mum a big bowie fan who is 65 is listening on you tube to it now.  I await her response haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    nigelnigel Posts: 267
    It's amazing!!!!  :) Welcome back...
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    God that is dire - MOR elevator muzak.

If  rest of the album is in this vein then it will be getting used as a coffee mug coaster.
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:

If  rest of the album is in this vein then it will be getting used as a coffee mug coaster.
    If the rest of the album is in this vein then please feel free to send me your copy so instead of being used as a coaster, the amazing jams in it will be cherished and enjoyed ;)
  • Options
    How fuckin cool. My mum a big bowie fan who is 65 is listening on you tube to it now.  I await her response haha
    So? what did she make of it?  =)
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    Tjm007 said:

If the rest of the album is in this vein then please feel free to send me your copy so instead of being used as a coaster, the amazing jams in it will be cherished and enjoyed ;)

Sorry - but sometimes the emperor is just naked.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Love it. Great Talking Heads kind of vibe. Something different. The sound of the recording is great too, punchy, clear, airy, great separation between the individual parts. And I love how it builds up during the last two minutes. Really looking forward to the new album now.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    I dig the fuck out of it. 
    "Society..you're a crazy breed. I hope you're not lonely without me.."
  • Options
    What an awesome statement single! The initial groove is so deceptive, it goes from something immediately hooky and new wave into this nervy epic that’s unlike anything I’ve heard from them. In the wrong hands taking a chance like this could sound embarrassing, but it’s so well written and produced that it captures the sort of grandeur that’s essential to their music.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    It actually reminds me a lot of one of my other favorite bands.. The Growlers. 
    I love The Growlers but I have no idea how you get a Growlers vibe from this song.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited January 2020
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:

Sorry - but sometimes the emperor is just naked.
    Well in that case, maybe the emperor is naked because he is busy showing off his abs in 2020 by dancing with the clairvoyants 

Pearl Jam ringing in the New Year in a big and strong way, this is the most stoked I have been for a new PJ album in a long while, I am loving this single so far.  Sorry you aren't digging it though, I am enjoying it so much and relishing in the overall positive vibes on here about the song that I wish everyone can get the same enjoyment from it as well, but alas the subjective nature of music
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    I love it.... for me this is the most interesting and inspired thing they've done in the past 17 years. Having not particularly liked the last two albums I was going into Gigaton cautiously, now I am very excited!
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 926
    I think for any band together almost 30 years then to release something this relevant and fresh sounding speaks volumes for the incredible musicians they all are. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I was reminded of Rush at some point. Very different for them. Stone on bass is interesting... Need to crank this in the car and listen a few times. 

Will be difficult to replicate live with the vocal layering 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    They moved the needle with this one.  I’m interested to see how it flows within the album. 
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750
    I like it after a handful of listens.    Give me an album full of this stuff over an album with two strong singles and 10x Let The Records Play, any day of the week.  Welcome back, felllas.  

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 234
    pulling69 said:

pulling69 said:

Hell yeah🤘🤘🤘

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    First listen: WTF?

Second listen: Verses are brilliant. So is the ending. Not sure about the way it jars into the chorus, particularly the first time. Kills the feel a bit.

Third listen: Same as second listen thoughts but even better. Still iffy on transition into chorus. But small criticism only. 

Fourth listen: Coming soon...

Agree with the influences mentioned previously. And the fact it's different after the last 2-3 albums, which weren't terrible but seemed to be treading water, is great. More time on their hands now the kids have grown up and it seems (judging by this effort) that we're the beneficiaries!

Now, I just want them to play this thing live in Melbourne - preferably no later than December. TIA 
    Why do I love Pearl Jam? The answer is here
  • Options
    CJ206326 said:
    pulling69 said:

Glad you dug that idea!  The first thing I thought of when I heard this single was how perfect this would be as an opener, and as a way to set the overall vibe to the show - especially considering how PJ always picks amazing vibey tunes as their openers which I find really unique and awesome about how they do things
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    Verse melody was awesome, Has a tinge of Army Reserve. Drums felt too sterilized or something.  Very interesting choice for a lead single, love the boldness of it.  Can’t wait for the rest!
  • Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    pulling69 said:

I’m imagining that scenario. And it would be flat as a tack. 
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    Had a fair few listens and can confirm that this is a CHOON!
    Nature drunk and High