Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    MozzyMozzy Posts: 154
    Wow. I haven't been this excited about a first single since Given To Fly. I love it. It's fun, it's funky and I'm going to dance my ass off to it every chance I get! And I really dislike new wave music. It's so great to hear a new and adventurous Pearl Jam. Way to go boys!!!
  • Options
    BH87446 said:
    I love it! I’m honestly kinda picking up a little Eminence Front vibe, myself...
    Good call, a great Who song as well! 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    jr251136 said:
    Mike is channeling Jonny Greenwood!

With all due respect to Radiohead, they have evolved with painstaking effort over their entire careers to evolve to an electronica art rock  sound

This song makes me think of Halloween. They are putting on a costume for show. With close to the worst lyrical  chorus of all time.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    I like it. Don’t love it.
    Didnt care for the last minute and half or so, too repetitive. 
    Overall has me intrigued for the new album.
  • Options
    jr251136 said:
    Mike is channeling Jonny Greenwood!

With all due respect to Radiohead, they have evolved with painstaking effort over their entire careers to evolve to an electronica art rock  sound

This song makes me think of Halloween. They are putting on a costume for show. With close to the worst lyrical  chorus of all time.
    I dunno, to me there is something genuine and awesome about how this song evolved and was made per Stone - trying out new things is what being a musician is all about!  No costumes, just instruments and minds

I love the chorus lyrically too but that is just me
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited January 2020
    Awesome - This is better and more interesting than anything from their last two albums IMO - I am very relieved they've tried something so new and different with a new producer. It makes me way more excited about the new album!!!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    I was so anxious about this after hearing the snippet but gosh I love it! Have been listening to it nonstop and it just keeps growing on me! I love Jeff‘s and Stone‘s enthusiasm 
  • Options
    Are we about to get PJ’s Srgt Peppers? Something completely new and has everyone talking about it? I’m pumped!! The 1st 10 seconds I thought I was going to hate it. Then Ed started in and took the song where it needed to go. Absolutely LOVE it. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    On my 4th listen and it is growing on me. Curious how this is going to sound and be received live. Can't wait to listen to more!
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Freshest sound they've had in a long time. Loving it!!
     And agree with others on elements of sounds of Talking Heads/Bowie/Arcade Fire
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    no codeno code Posts: 109
    Been cranking it in the car this morning. Got me moving my head at first listen. That's always a good sign. Loving the new direction, and can't wait to listen to the album. Very excited.

Remember how a lot of fans cringed when Who You Are and No Code came out? That album stands as one of the best in the catalog now. 
    I'm getting that vibe again reading a lot of the negative comments. Give it time to get into your system. 
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I love it.  On board.  I want more.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Looks like some of you never bothered to listen to the bands Ed wears t-shirts of. I'll take anything fresh over rehashed riffs all day every day. 
    100% agree. This actually sounds like music that is current
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 381
    euchrid said:
    I think this could be a real banger live. Reminds me a lot of Bowie, arctic monkeys, new age type sound 
    That would be Jeff, I'm sure
    If you weren't able to hear it on Sirius with Stone intro try to find...interesting story behind what I had expected based on the clip as well. Not what you expect :)
    I recorded the entire stone intro and song. Need only an email that I can send it to those who couldn’t hear it. Pm me an email address and I’ll send you the file. 

Going to bed though now. 
     Like the song!!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    BH87446 said:
    I love it! I’m honestly kinda picking up a little Eminence Front vibe, myself...
    I heard that a bit as well.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 381
    bbiggs said:
    I liked it on first listen, definitely want to listen again now.
    Stone’s intro on XM was great, I love hearing the creative process stuff like that straight from the band members!
    Anyone have the Sirius/XM recording? Would like to hear Stone’s intro. 
    Pm me your email. I will send it to you. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    When Ed sings

confusing it is

i think of Bigfoot on the Stern show

it is

Love the new song 
  • Options
    ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 568
    Really really digging it. Chili peppers esque funky guitar throughout 2nd half. Love how it starts to take off at end with EV’s looped vocals. 
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    Loved the song instantly but I love the Talking Heads so it’s up my alley. Funny enough the 4th time I listened to it, it felt more like Pearl Jam especially with head phones on. 

I bet this is what it felt for U2 fans when The Fly single dropped!
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    Headphones is the  bomb
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Loved the song instantly but I love the Talking Heads so it’s up my alley. Funny enough the 4th time I listened to it, it felt more like Pearl Jam especially with head phones on. 

I bet this is what it felt for U2 fans when The Fly single dropped!
    Headphones is the  bomb
    These two quotes here. exactly 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 337
    Imagine the lights go down, and you just see Matt Cameron walk up to the stage and start playing this drum beat.  Then Stone and Jeff with bass and keys, while blue cascading lights fill the crowd.  Then Mike with the funky guitar part while Ed walks on stage and begins - cue the crowd going crazy
    Your Post got me even more excited about the Song! Can´t wait to experience that soon. The Podcast Teaser got me worried before but now I´m relieved and happy :-) 
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

That's all well and good but who did the vocals???
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 337

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    Are we about to get PJ’s Srgt Peppers? Something completely new and has everyone talking about it? I’m pumped!! The 1st 10 seconds I thought I was going to hate it. Then Ed started in and took the song where it needed to go. Absolutely LOVE it. 

But Sgt Pepper was an evolution and culmination. And Radiohead was an evolution.

This is an interesting experiment, but it sounds like it’s out of the blue and I’m not convinced the vocal feels at home with the style of the music.

if PJ came out and did the opposite, a song in the style of The Necromancer, a style I love, I’d be put off just the same.

its a shame the kids don’t get guitar driven rock. It’s their right and their choice. And their loss. Hopefully this is a one off song and not an ongoing attempt to hang with the Lanas and Posts of the world. In that case it’s into Channel 23 for me for good.

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    LizJ said:

OH it was Eddie. Thanks!!

(previous comment was just a joke but well played)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Hopefully this is a one off song and not an ongoing attempt to hang with the Lanas and Posts of the world. In that case it’s into Channel 23 for me for good.

Lana Del Rey is kickass though, but different style ofc.  I hear more Prince and Talking Heads in this than I do Lana
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    So glad my 12 week old baby had to eat at 1am! Love the song. Hoping for more experimentation on the album. 

But I’m sure there will be backlash from the folks who want Ten all over again. Can’t wait for the lawsuit threats, and people threatening to give up their lottery seats. This will be a fun day on the forum =)
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    So glad my 12 week old baby had to eat at 1am! Love the song. Hoping for more experimentation on the album. 

But I’m sure there will be backlash from the folks who want Ten all over again. Can’t wait for the lawsuit threats, and people threatening to give up their lottery seats. This will be a fun day on the forum =)

Hah. Your baby knew.

But I think the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Not getting it after 2 listens hopefully it will grow on me after a few more. If not then guess it's fine we dont all need to love every song theres 11 more to come