[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,073
    edited January 2020
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

That synth is this video rolled into one thing. It sticks out. Haha.

AND THEN WE THROW IN SOME RANDOM JEFF SYNTH

https://youtu.be/MeSXE5np_Tk
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • symptomsfadesymptomsfade Posts: 239
    edited January 2020
    benjs said:
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

And I ran, I ran so far away..........I couldn’t get away!
    Post edited by symptomsfade on
  • JG49071JG49071 Posts: 77
    All the people keep saying they hear Bowie and Talking Heads and whoever else. I can hear a little of those, but I also hear Pearl Jam.
    I hear Pearl Jam not doing the same thing over again with the radio hits the "casual" fans like. I hear Pearl Jam experimenting.
    I hear a song for the true hardcore fans. I hear a song the people who say they haven't done anything good since the 90's will once again bash and hate.
    I love it.
  • GP179117 said:
    I dig it.
    Felt like a talking heads song.    
    Winner.  
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    wow
    i texted a friend before coming here and seems like we are all saying some of the same things
    “sounds like 80s era Pete Townshend trying to sound like talking heads/peter Gabriel/roxy music” was my one listen take. 

I’m not sure if it’s a bad thing or not, and I certainly appreciate the different approach, excited to hear the entire album!
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • It’s weird AF and what they needed to do.  No more “Pearl Jam by numbers” albums please
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Thought this wouldn't be my style, but it's hauntingly gripping.  I like it a lot. With CDM I listened a few times and liked it but just didn't go back to it. I can't stop listening to this song.
    In addition to Pearl Jam, I love the Clash and I wonder if Gigaton is going to be their Sandinista... except not a triple album of course.
  • JG49071 said:
    All the people keep saying they hear Bowie and Talking Heads and whoever else. I can hear a little of those, but I also hear Pearl Jam.
    I hear Pearl Jam not doing the same thing over again with the radio hits the "casual" fans like. I hear Pearl Jam experimenting.
    I hear a song for the true hardcore fans. I hear a song the people who say they haven't done anything good since the 90's will once again bash and hate.
    I love it.
    Not sure what your point is.  Showing influence from those bands is not a slight.  It’s a compliment and says the rest of what you’re arguing. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    It seems, at least for some, that this is not for you ;)

I'm guessing those not so thrilled are either not TH or Bowie fans, or don't like their jam mixed with stardust and heads.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Posts: 312
    edited January 2020
    Listened to it a few times last night and a couple more this morning. It has some elements that I like, but overall, I really don't care for it. Glad most people seem to dig it though.
    Post edited by Jason7192 on
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,062
    Can I just say, it’s nice to have a song that is a little out there and sounds nothing like anything on the last two songs. Really mixed it up with this one. Ed’s vocal delivery is different than most anything ive heard from him. The lyrics are Riot Act era, very different from the last two abums that had very on the nose lyrics 
  • Forgive me if it’s been said... but also reminds me of later who stuff
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • JG49071JG49071 Posts: 77
    JG49071 said:
    I love it.
    Not sure what your point is.  Showing influence from those bands is not a slight.  It’s a compliment and says the rest of what you’re arguing. 
    Never said it was a slight. Also not making an argument. 
    Everyones initial reaction is Talking Heads and Bowie and a few others. Great.
    It's still Pearl Jam
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I like it overall.  Some good lyrics and a catchy little synth rift, along with a cool bridge.  

At times, I feel like I am listening to Eddie Vedder in 1988 playing with his Casio.

Off the bat, not one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs, but enjoyable nonetheless.
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    Forgive me if it’s been said... but also reminds me of later who stuff
    I hope this is their, "Endless Wire," album.  If there's even one track that grabs me like, "In The Ether;" I'll be happy.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Posts: 1,117
    KATE FUCKING BUSH

also, not to be a snob, but it seems like those who are shitting on it just don’t understand it (judging by what they think it sounds like).
  • BumperDBumperD Posts: 40
    I hear Peter Gabriel
    I’d happily take anyone’s tickets that decides they don’t want to go after hearing this ;)
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    I heard Arcade Fire initially.

Loving the drums and Stone's bass is killer!!  

Also love the hook and the line "so save your predictions."  

Love the band growing even now when they easily could have been doing the same things 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • wiscojamwiscojam Posts: 343
    BH87446 said:
    I love it! I’m honestly kinda picking up a little Eminence Front vibe, myself...
    Eminence Front. Good call.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,548
    KN219077 said:
    Can I just say, it’s nice to have a song that is a little out there and sounds nothing like anything on the last two songs. Really mixed it up with this one. Ed’s vocal delivery is different than most anything ive heard from him. The lyrics are Riot Act era, very different from the last two abums that had very on the nose lyrics 
    This 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    edited January 2020
    JG49071 said:
    I love it.
    I hear a band that might expand their fanbase for the first time in a while....30 years in. 

Fucking love them taking chances like this. Riskiest single since Who You Are
    www.myspace.com
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Looks like some of you never bothered to listen to the bands Ed wears t-shirts of. I'll take anything fresh over rehashed riffs all day every day. 
    This!!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • rwrussorwrusso Posts: 17
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,548
    EarlWelsh said:
    KATE FUCKING BUSH

also, not to be a snob, but it seems like those who are shitting on it just don’t understand it (judging by what they think it sounds like).
    Oh wow yeah definitely Kate Bush in there 
  • gatorjamgatorjam Posts: 187
    I jammed this in the car on the way to work.  At first I was like woah, this is a totally different sound, PJ is definitely getting out of their comfort zone.  After listening to it a few times, I like how layered everything is, all the instruments and Ed's voice.  I love it.  It is not your typical Pearl Jam song, but who cares, I can't wait to see how they play it in concert.  
    2003-Tampa
    2006-East Rutherford
    2008-West Palm Beach
    2009- Philadelphia
    2016- Fort Lauderdale and Miami
  • ajflickerajflicker Posts: 166
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.
    this feels like a show opener like pendulum was for the bulk of the start of lb shows
    completely different sounding songs but has an opener moody vibe 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    edited January 2020
    JG49071 said:
    I love it.
    I hear a band that might expand their fanbase for the first time in a while....30 years in. 

Fucking love them taking chances like this. Riskiest single since Who You Are
    Indeed. I was way more impressed with how QOTSA and RHCP experimented with their sound in their last releases than anything on LB, but this to me is a band not content with standing still. Good for them. I think it is awesome, but I also don't mind electronic components to my rock music. This is very slight without losing the sound of Pearl Jam. Matt has done a great job to shine through and keep his sound as the prominent drive. Love it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Jeff had  better play an 80s style  synth guitar live. !!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -