[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• ajflickerajflicker Posts: 166
    I hated it. Not what I was expecting. Hopefully the rest of the album is better. In all fairness though all the other band I love usually have a song or two I dislike. It just took PJ over 20 years to make one...lol
  • thank u Josh Evans so this time we can listen jeff bass 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I like it. It’s so different. 30 years in, ya gotta give them credit for trying something so new. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Unlike anything they've done. I appreciate that they still can push themselves and evolve. I love this damn band. I can't wait for the record.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    thank u Josh Evans so this time we can listen jeff bass 
    except this apparently is Stone on the thumper
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• OjamajoeOjamajoe Posts: 14
    edited January 2020
    Fired up the Marantz, and ran it through the Heresys before heading off to work... everything about this track sounds top notch, and I'm really loving the lyrics, too!

So exciting!
  • Is ed recycling lyrics the devotion/ocean bit makes me think of without you 
    Is ed recycling lyrics the devotion/ocean bit makes me think of without you 
    haven't thought about it, but to be honest he has been doing recycling of snippets and themes since Riot Act.  Some very overt, others slightly more subtle or coincidental 

• vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    Fresh music for the modern word.
    My kids(6&8) are already dancing to the clairvoyants!
    ”Stand back when the spirit comes” 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    IT’S EVOLUTION, BABY!!!!!

I had pretty damn good expectations after hearing the Bill Simmons clip and they did not disappoint! A total departure from the norm that I welcome with open arms. It’s fresh, the groove is funky, and Ed sounds great and you can tell the lyrics are coming from pure emotion. 

Someone mentioned in another thread the clip had a Wesley Willis vibe to it :lol:, well guess what? Rock over London, rock on Chicago because this really whoops the llama’s ass! :rock_on:
  • silvosilvo Posts: 293
    I've not read all the comments in this thread as it would take me the best part of the day, however I felt the need to add my thoughts on this. I absolutely love this tune and everything about it. Love the fact that it is a departure from their more recent output and shows the creativity is still there. Love the 'funk' of the bass and guitar work, almost get a post Vs WMA/Rats/Blood vibe from it. Love the vocal performance, glad Ed has added some grit in there but then the way the layered vocal harmonies come at the end is brilliant. Love the way the song builds, to the vocal harmonies as mentioned but also really like the way the drums seem to get added to, from a simple drum machine type opening to the added kicks, etc as it goes on. Finally I really like the way this has been recorded/produced. All in all, a major thumbs up from me and it's got me really excited for the album. It seems (so far) that everything the fans were asking for post BS/LB is coming to fruition. Bring on the album, bring on the tour. Long live PJ!!
    IT’S EVOLUTION, BABY!!!!!

I had pretty damn good expectations after hearing the Bill Simmons clip and they did not disappoint! A total departure from the norm that I welcome with open arms. It’s fresh, the groove is funky, and Ed sounds great and you can tell the lyrics are coming from pure emotion. 

Someone mentioned in another thread the clip had a Wesley Willis vibe to it :lol:, well guess what? Rock over London, rock on Chicago because this really whoops the llama’s ass! :rock_on:
    it's a magic kiss...

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Its ok, like a Bowie tribute song.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,888
    Y'know how a parent loves their child even when they make poor decisions? That's how I feel right now.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • willnycwillnyc Posts: 131
    Talking Heads type vibe to it.  I dig it.  
  • dadesdades Posts: 322
    Depeche Mode anybody??
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • symptomsfadesymptomsfade Posts: 239
    edited January 2020
    Im sure this has been stated already but hear I go!  Went to bed thinking I was not going like it.  For what ever reason I was hooked at first listen.  The synthesizer is not my thing but the beat is great.  I don’t think this will be a go to song from this record for me, but these damn lyrics have me obsessed.  I picture this is their modem “this is not for you, FUCK YOU!”.  I’m glad the artist has taken back their art and came out with something that has inspired them to return to the fans after confusing dark times (CC) as Mike stated. For me these lyrics are about the break through to getting back to this is art after a great loss to all of them, this is what we want and fuck you!  Love it, love anything that fires this band up enough to keep entertaining us in a time where social media makes everyone a critic and clairvoyant to what is right or what everyone wants!  Let’s go HAMILTON!!!!! Bring it!
    Post edited by symptomsfade on
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,361
    Not sure how I feel about the outro, would love to hear the chorus in there one more time. Overall, positive vibes here....for now.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,466
    I think Stone’s lyrics in ‘I Need Something Different’ sum it up pretty well 

“Right now I’m feeling bold
    I wanna move, I wanna dance yeah
    I stopped trying to control it
    I gotta groove, gotta shake my ass yeah”

=) 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    The comparison that makes the most sense to me so far is Eminence Front. Band late in their career, trying to latch onto current trends and commercial relevance. 
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    I hear Talking Heads + Pearl Jam + David Bowie + Muse. I heard the riff to start and almost cringed. Then I kept listening and 10 seconds later I was hooked. I think Eddie is singing in the right frequency range too, he seems to be getting used to evolving his style as his voice changes and I think it's his best-delivered vocals in ages. Really, I'm incredibly surprised, but in a great way.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    I think this could be a real banger live. Reminds me a lot of Bowie, arctic monkeys, new age type sound 
    Arctic Monkeys came to mind for me too. 
    I really dig it and can’t wait to hear this one love. 
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Love it! Branching out. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • ...chills down my spine. 
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

This is the lovely thing about music. It evolves, you evolve, the times evolve, and some will like it and others won't, and it never matters.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Posts: 763
    edited January 2020
    DewieCox said:
    The comparison that makes the most sense to me so far is Eminence Front. Band late in their career, trying to latch onto current trends and commercial relevance. 
    Pretty cynical take.  They'd have done this 3 albums ago in the early-to-mid 2000s at the height of the indie post punk revival if that was their true motivation for this stylistic divergence.  Nobody outside of the Sheerans and the Swifts of this world shifts records in any great numbers these days and, like most bands of their stature, most of their money is generated from ticket sales these days.  They've never stopped selling out arenas and they just sold out Hyde Park before any new music was released, so the whole commercial relevance theory kinda falls apart there.... 
    Post edited by False_Belief on

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• As someone who loves The Killers, I am digging this song! 
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,361
    benjs said:
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?

This is the lovely thing about music. It evolves, you evolve, the times evolve, and some will like it and others won't, and it never matters.
    well said. its all subjective so fuck it