Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    It’s definitely different!  Has me VERY intrigued about the new record. This could be a huge change in PJ history. 

Very talking heads/Bowie like. Moody, spacey and uh just different. I think I like it?  Or love it?  Wait maybe I’m gonna hate it?  I genuinely can’t tell yet
    I agree. Pretty sure I hate the drums though. :lol:
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I love the fact that this started off as a drum loop, and then played with real drums that sounds like a drum machine

Like, to me it is mixing the "play live and in the moment" with the wonderful world of electronic music and it pays off wonderfully
  • Options
    Damn so different but I love it.  Can’t wait to see how they do this live.  
    It's a festivus miracle!
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    I was doing the Beavis and Butthead dance
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Well looks like we have our new standard opening song to replace Pendulum. Dance into a standard opener like Of the Girl or Release or Long Road? Yes please!
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    JC29866 said:
    JM44800 said:
    Someone posted Sirius intro with Stone on YouTube. It’s pretty awesome. Started with Matt drum loop, then Stone adding bass. Jeff comes in later and adds keys. Mike comes in later adds guitar riff. Ed adds vocals and they put it all together. Matt went back and added real drums with exception of high hat loop. 
    Isn’t this how the Beatles recorded at the end?
    I don’t think they did it this way because they can’t stand to be in the same room together if that’s what you’re getting at. I think it was just a cool way of making a song. Imagine the surprise/excitement when Matt/Stone came back in and they were like, oh shit, Jeff added a sweet fucking synth. And, no way, Mike just killed it on this guitar part, so bad ass. I thinks it more that kind of vibe. At least that’s what I am going with! 
  • Options
    pulling69 said:
    Well looks like we have our new standard opening song to replace Pendulum. Dance into a standard opener like Of the Girl or Release or Long Road? Yes please!
    I like the way you think!

Imagine the lights go down, and you just see Matt Cameron walk up to the stage and start playing this drum beat.  Then Stone and Jeff with bass and keys, while blue cascading lights fill the crowd.  Then Mike with the funky guitar part while Ed walks on stage and begins - cue the crowd going crazy
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    pulling69 said:
    These dude made a recording of the song including Stone's intro from SiriusXM, worth a watch if you didn't here the Stone part:

Thanks for posting this!!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Man this has made my excitement for this album skyrocket. So stoked right now!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    CO278952 said:
    pulling69 said:
    These dude made a recording of the song including Stone's intro from SiriusXM, worth a watch if you didn't here the Stone part:

Thanks for posting this!!
    Thank you 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,548
    edited January 2020
    My attempt at "transcribing" Stone, looks like there's a video that was posted since.  In short, he's pumped and I dont remember him speaking this much other than at the Rock Hall induction

"This song started out with a Matt Cameron electronic drum beat.  Matt had been working with some drum machines and stuff and I came down and was messing around with bass so I was messing around and think I started busy and trying to do to much and both of us were sitting around saying 'well this is less than great'  at some point I just started giving up and saying ah crap whatever, and then I just started hammering on the bass and we both looked at each and said that sounds better than anything so far we just started kinda throwing it down and we came up with this a and b section for the song. A few weeks later, unbeknownst to me, Jeff Ament came in and uh threw on that arpeggiating keyboard line and I was like "oh my god thats great" and I think even a few weeks after that Mike McCready came in and put that guitar part over the top of it which was completely ...its an unbelievable guitar part in terms of the variety and melody he gets out of 3 notes and it was really at that point striking us as something that was exciting and really ... it wasnt much later than that that Ed put on the first rough vocal that had almost all of the elements that the final vocal...some of the words changed...but all the phrasing and alot of the energy was all there.  I guess thats the last element that kinda went down was in the end Matt uh decided and I think with the band's approval that he was gonna play his drum machine part so the drums that you hear on the track are real drums.  I think theres an electronic high hat still mixed in there, but all the beat thats a live Matt Cameron track with very dry drums so the fact that he was able to go back in and play that beat that was you know completely created in a drum machine and play it so convincingly to almost sound like a drum machine was really a tribute to how great he is.  Matt sort of inspired and wrote the initial part of the song and then we all individually came in and put an element on there and those elements lasted and survived  um intact is a little bit of why I think we're so excited about the song and sort of the magic of how that song couldnt have really been written by any individual in any other band and I think the words theyre just so compelling to me I listen to them and I have a different reaction to them each time.  So its a real exciting time for the band and Im really proud of it."
    Post edited by Father Hubbard on
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,429
    This song is awesome.  Seriously. Eddie's vocals are not only vintage Eddie, they are also perfectly "now" Eddie.  But that funky vibe is pretty fresh sounding.  Originally I was expecting MYM. Or CDM. I like both, but they can write those songs in their sleep. This is great.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
    Haven't read anything in this thread yet, will at work tomorrow. I LOVE this song. VERY Bowie. I get the New Wave vibes they were talking about. 
  • Options
    rider10rider10 Posts: 41
    The verses are full on talking heads. The chorus and outro are full on Bowie. I know this song won't vibe well with some people and that's totally fair but this shit is right up my musical alley.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This song is awesome.  Seriously. Eddie's vocals are not only vintage Eddie, they are also perfectly "now" Eddie.  But that funky vibe is pretty fresh sounding.  Originally I was expecting MYM. Or CDM. I like both, but they can write those songs in their sleep. This is great.

Yeah I am loving it and super excited. CDM sounded like lazy song writing and lacked the creativity and lightning in a bottle captured here. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    JM18725JM18725 Posts: 46
    Catchy beat, hooky guitar, Eddie’s aged salty voice ripping through with some rejuvenated aggression... overall refreshing sound, I like it!
    already in love
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

Well said!  Totally agree on Ed's voice, he sounds fantastic here and his "angry" projections are spot on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I love this song so much right now. Been listening non stop for past 56 minutes. Totally different sound, not what I was expecting at all which is great. Now to hear/read what Stone says about it and what Jeff said about it has me even more pumped if that’s possible! 

And I think it’s interesting that this is the last song on the album. Not that it means anything for the rest of the album, but think back to some of their other final tracks and again way different from what we’ve heard as an album closer.
    Post edited by JM44800 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    pulling69 said:

Thank you for posting this. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    My attempt at "transcribing" Stone, looks like there's a video that was posted since.  In short, he's pumped and I dont remember him speaking this much other than at the Rock Hall induction

"This song started out with a Matt Cameron electronic drum beat.  Matt had been working with some drum machines and stuff and I came down and was messing around with bass so I was messing around and think I started busy and trying to do to much and both of us were sitting around saying 'well this is less than great'  at some point I just started giving up and saying ah crap whatever, and then I just started hammering on the bass and we both looked at each and said that sounds better than anything so far we just started kinda throwing it down and we came up with this a and b section for the song. A few weeks later, unbeknownst to me, Jeff Ament came in and uh threw on that arpeggiating keyboard line and I was like "oh my god thats great" and I think even a few weeks after that Mike McCready came in and put that guitar part over the top of it which was completely ...its an unbelievable guitar part in terms of the variety and melody he gets out of 3 notes and it was really at that point striking us as something that was exciting and really ... it wasnt much later than that that Ed put on the first rough vocal that had almost all of the elements that the final vocal...some of the words changed...but all the phrasing and alot of the energy was all there.  I guess thats the last element that kinda went down was in the end Matt uh decided and I think with the band's approval that he was gonna play his drum machine part so the drums that you hear on the track are real drums.  I think theres an electronic high hat still mixed in there, but all the beat thats a live Matt Cameron track with very dry drums so the fact that he was able to go back in and play that beat that was you know completely created in a drum machine and play it so convincingly to almost sound like a drum machine was really a tribute to how great he is.  Matt sort of inspired and wrote the initial part of the song and then we all individually came in and put an element on there and those elements lasted and survived  um intact is a little bit of why I think we're so excited about the song and sort of the magic of how that song couldve have really been written by any individual in any other band and I think the words theyre just so compelling to me I listen to them and I have a different reaction to them each time.  So its a real exciting time for the band and Im really proud of it."
    Thanks for transcribing!
  • Options
    JM44800 said:
    I love this song so much right now. Been listening non stop for past 56 minutes. Totally different sound, not what I was expecting at all which is great. Now to hear/read what Stone says about it and what Jeff said about it has me even more pumped if that’s possible! 

And I think it’s interesting that this is the last song on the album. Not that it means anything for the rest of the album, but think back to some of their other final tracks and again way different from what we’ve heard as an album closer.
    Track order has this third pretty sure 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    JM44800 said:

I dont think it is. I believe it's #3.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Mike is channeling Jonny Greenwood!
  • Options
    JM44800 said:

JM44800 said:

Well shit you’re right, my bad. Then forget everything I said and I fucking hate this song now, lol.
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,548

"This song started out with a Matt Cameron electronic drum beat.  Matt had been working with some drum machines and stuff and I came down and was messing around with bass so I was messing around and think I started busy and trying to do to much and both of us were sitting around saying 'well this is less than great'  at some point I just started giving up and saying ah crap whatever, and then I just started hammering on the bass and we both looked at each and said that sounds better than anything so far we just started kinda throwing it down and we came up with this a and b section for the song. A few weeks later, unbeknownst to me, Jeff Ament came in and uh threw on that arpeggiating keyboard line and I was like "oh my god thats great" and I think even a few weeks after that Mike McCready came in and put that guitar part over the top of it which was completely ...its an unbelievable guitar part in terms of the variety and melody he gets out of 3 notes and it was really at that point striking us as something that was exciting and really ... it wasnt much later than that that Ed put on the first rough vocal that had almost all of the elements that the final vocal...some of the words changed...but all the phrasing and alot of the energy was all there.  I guess thats the last element that kinda went down was in the end Matt uh decided and I think with the band's approval that he was gonna play his drum machine part so the drums that you hear on the track are real drums.  I think theres an electronic high hat still mixed in there, but all the beat thats a live Matt Cameron track with very dry drums so the fact that he was able to go back in and play that beat that was you know completely created in a drum machine and play it so convincingly to almost sound like a drum machine was really a tribute to how great he is.  Matt sort of inspired and wrote the initial part of the song and then we all individually came in and put an element on there and those elements lasted and survived  um intact is a little bit of why I think we're so excited about the song and sort of the magic of how that song couldve have really been written by any individual in any other band and I think the words theyre just so compelling to me I listen to them and I have a different reaction to them each time.  So its a real exciting time for the band and Im really proud of it."
    Thanks for transcribing!
    It was a bit rushed as I was trying to get to listen to the track again ha
  • Options
    CO278952 said:
    JM44800 said:

Track order has this third pretty sure 
    Yeah you’re right, thought I saw somewhere that it was last. Got a little too excited I guess and posted before getting my facts straight! 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Been listening to it on repeat now, now playing for the 6th time  =)
    It`s so different indeed. A bit funky, dancable and more rock as the song progresses. Eddie`s voice is great on it and I love the guitar parts.
    Excellent song although I can imagine it might take some getting used to for people. Can`t wait for the other songs and the release of Gigaton! *does a happy dance!
  • Options
    BH87446BH87446 Posts: 113
    edited January 2020
    I love it! I’m honestly kinda picking up a little Eminence Front vibe, myself...
  • Options
    If it has Stone as a big part of it, you know it is bound to be badass