Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited January 2020
    pulling69 said:
    Well looks like we have our new standard opening song to replace Pendulum. Dance into a standard opener like Of the Girl or Release or Long Road? Yes please!
    I like the way you think!

Imagine the lights go down, and you just see Matt Cameron walk up to the stage and start playing this drum beat.  Then Stone and Jeff with bass and keys, while blue cascading lights fill the crowd.  Then Mike with the funky guitar part while Ed walks on stage and begins - cue the crowd going crazy
    I’m imagining that scenario. And it would be flat as a tack. 
    I think it would kick some serious ass, this would make a great intro, very vibey and groovy at the same time.  Not unlike Prince starting a show with "Joy In Repetition" or "Around the World In A Day", just a cool ambience with more greatness to follow
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    First listen was shock.

On repeated listens, I like it...definitely some Talking Heads in there, who I love.

Its obviously different which I think they need to do here and there at this point in their career. I wouldn’t expect the entire album to sound like this...think the album will be a little bit of everything like Lightning Bolt
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    God that is dire - MOR elevator muzak.

If  rest of the album is in this vein then it will be getting used as a coffee mug coaster.
    If the rest of the album is in this vein then please feel free to send me your copy so instead of being used as a coaster, the amazing jams in it will be cherished and enjoyed ;)

Sorry - but sometimes the emperor is just naked.
    Well in that case, maybe the emperor is naked because he is busy showing off his abs in 2020 by dancing with the clairvoyants 

Pearl Jam ringing in the New Year in a big and strong way, this is the most stoked I have been for a new PJ album in a long while, I am loving this single so far
    I can see why tickets went on sale before this was released ..
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited January 2020
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:

If  rest of the album is in this vein then it will be getting used as a coffee mug coaster.
    If the rest of the album is in this vein then please feel free to send me your copy so instead of being used as a coaster, the amazing jams in it will be cherished and enjoyed ;)

Well in that case, maybe the emperor is naked because he is busy showing off his abs in 2020 by dancing with the clairvoyants 

Pearl Jam ringing in the New Year in a big and strong way, this is the most stoked I have been for a new PJ album in a long while, I am loving this single so far
    Because their entire back catalogue suddenly sucks now that they've released one new song? which, luckily, the majority seems to like
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:

What do you mean?  The response so far online not just on here but every forum I am on discussing this has been really positive so far

I think you are confusing "I personally do not like this song" with "this is a bad song and everyone else besides me is wrong" - with all due respect
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750
    This thing is even getting some positive replies in the comments section on Pitchfork's Facebook page.  Think about that for a second. 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    Having listened to it on repeat for the last hour or so, I think I can safely say I'm loving it.  To my ears, this is the most inspired they've sounded in a decade or so.  It's been a long time since they've put out a really cohesive album where the songs sound like they fit together, as opposed to just cobbling together random songs - I can't wait to hear how this fits on the album.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,556
    IMO - as with ALL PJ albums - they are just blue prints of the songs which are then perfected over yrs of playing them live.. 
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    jp307677 said:

Its obviously different which I think they need to do here and there at this point in their career. I wouldn’t expect the entire album to sound like this...think the album will be a little bit of everything like Lightning Bolt
    I hope not. I hope it has a distinct identity. And is not a hodgepodge of "whatever we can scrape together throw it in" like LB was.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
     Uneed to have huge balls as band to go and put this as first single out there with they type of music u play all those years.. Brilliant muthafuckas
    The song has everything. Epic... Live will blow out minds

I adore it.. 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    Upon first listen, I dig it. Its something different, and as most have said, I can see this being bad ass live.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771
    Heads, Bowie, Devo, A/Amnesiac era Radiohead, Spoon...

I am envisioning the two gentlemen in front of me who came to Fenay 2 in 2018 only to hear Jeremy, Animal and Yellow Ledbetter softly weeping as they head to the exits in 2020 and I MUTHAFUCKINGLOVEIT
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    edited January 2020
    In the 21st century—-Experimental PJ is the best PJ. 
    Speaking of 21st century - there is a touch of cousin here and it is not surprising why Stone is digging this new track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRpI4sscc

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    I love that it didn't sound at all like I expected, that it isn't a 3 minute punk song, and that it sounds finished in a way Can't Deny Me never did.

Looking forward to hearing this one live. I'm betting Mike's guitar could be a lot of fun.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I love that it didn't sound at all like I expected, that it isn't a 3 minute punk song, and that it sounds finished in a way Can't Deny Me never did.

Looking forward to hearing this one live. I'm betting Mike's guitar could be a lot of fun.
    Yes, yes, yes and also yes.

• Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    My opinion is just like that; a voice like a grain of sand among the voices of many. We always, since, PJ became Independet wanted to have an experimental album. Well, here it is. I love it. I think we are in for a dark rode. (Buckle up - I had to write this in here.) Trying to figure put  who the clairvoyants are: climate deniers?  Believing in a fiuture. Even though science felle us otherwise? There is sarcasm in the voice, anger even. 
  • Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 81
    edited January 2020
    I like it. I might love it in time -- not sure yet. This feels like the ”new wave” people were bracing for with Backspacer. 

Really curious for the rest of the new album now. I don't expect a whole album like this, but hope it's a bit more unified than Lightning Bolt. I'll want to love Gigaton up front so I probably will.

I wish I had something more original to add to the conversation....
    Post edited by crober72 on
  • Options
    Kurt Brutus BaconKurt Brutus Bacon Posts: 78
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by Kurt Brutus Bacon on
    Roskilde 2000, Barcelona 2006, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, London 2010, Arras 2010, Berlin x 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Seattle 2013, Stockholm 2014, Boston x 2 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Budapest 2022
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    mace1229 said:
    I like it. Don’t love it.
    Didnt care for the last minute and half or so, too repetitive. 
    Overall has me intrigued for the new album.
    Im kinda here too. want to love it but the last minute or so is preventing this. Not my favourite track so far but its by no means one I dont like. It seems rare today to find many people in the 'middle', there is a whole host of love and hate on the internet today

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,697
    Have only listened to it once on crappy speakers. To be honest, I dont really like it (yet). Not a fan of the drums at all but there are some cool sounds in there. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    BK221359 said:
    I simply appreciate  that it is nothing I have ever heard before from them or anyone really...we will see where it goes album wise...is it representative of the entire Gigaton or not?  We wait and see...with great anticipation, which is much more positive than any other musical act that exists today...thank you PJ 
    Agree. “Who you are” was no representation of No Code,” But they  came put of their comfortzone which is good. Art should progress.
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    edited January 2020
    I love It. Fresh.  Very Good song.  Look forward to full album.  Cheers
  • Options
    What Madonna songs?!  Seems like a really odd frame of reference when there are loads more obvious comparisons.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,098
    Im kinda super into it. Love the Talking Heads vibe. Refreshing to not have a Mind Your Manners/cant deny me style single again. Looking forward to some experimental shit
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Hmmm, that video is officially gone from Tidal. There wasn't an audio track, just the video when I first listened last night. Pretty sure it will be the official video, but they obviously jumped the gun. Started with a TV screen with the new PJ heartbeat logo and veered in to scenes of the earth, nature, climate change effects and bees. Yes, lots of bees. Matched perfectly with the music though. The northern lights part was awesome. Honestly, it distracted me from hearing the track fully so now I'll put on some headphone and just immerse in the audio track now posted on Tidal.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Hmmm, that video is officially gone from Tidal. There wasn't an audio track, just the video when I first listened last night. Pretty sure it will be the official video, but they obviously jumped the gun. Started with a TV screen with the new PJ heartbeat logo and veered in to scenes of the earth, nature, climate change effects and bees. Yes, lots of bees. Matched perfectly with the music though. The northern lights part was awesome. Honestly, it distracted me from hearing the track fully so now I'll put on some headphone and just immerse in the audio track now posted on Tidal.
    Related image

• Options
    Love it.  Along with Talking Heads I'm getting a Peter Gabriel vibe from it.  Very 80s.
  • Options
    Fired up the Marantz, and ran it through the Heresys at half volume before heading off to work... everything about this track sounds top notch, and I'm really loving the lyrics, too!

So exciting!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    I'm interested how this will sound live. Overall it's different but yeah i'm digging it
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,538
    It's Pearl Jam..
    ...but it's not...
    ...but it is...

and I dig it.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: