Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    Pendulum with more speed and a drum machine. Will definitely shake up the normal PJ set. Thumbs up
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Well, I fucking love it. I was a bit shocked the first time last night hearing the synth line at the beginning. I listened to it a few more times in a row last night before going to bed. I liked it enough. Today I've had it on repeat for like half the day and I fucking LOVE it, as I said. It seems to me it nods a bit to You Are. I love it and I love that this band is still trying new things in 2020. And this new thing really works well. I think the lyrics are insanely great. I love Ed's vocal, Mike's sick guitar, Stone's crazy good bass. And it blows my fucking mind that Matt is playing all that live (except the hi hat).

As for who plays what live, here's my prediction:
    Ed- Vocals
    Mike - Electric Guitar
    Stone - Bass
    Jeff - Acoustic guitar (there is acoustic guitar in the entire middle section)
    Matt - Drums (duh)
    Boom - Keys
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    This is getting such a positive response. Happy for the band. Even people that aren’t into it seem to appreciate the fact that they’re at least trying something totally new. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    jesselms said:
    Best lead off single since given to fly
    Agree with this 
  • Options
    AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    edited January 2020
    a
    Post edited by AVG75 on
  • Options
    JC8074JC8074 Posts: 127
    JC8074 said:
    Produced by St. Vincent?  I don't like the lines about boys' d***s though.  That's creepy.
    I like it all except that line.  Looking forward to the new album, reminded me of hearing Who You Are for the first time.
    If it helps, my guess is he's referring to grown men acting like boys.
    I dunno where you get that, the line goes "I know the boys want to grow their d***s..."  

I was just joking around though.  The way I understand those lines about girls and boys, is that they're all in a state of denial...ie checking out mentally and occupying themselves with dancing, sex, distraction...and avoiding the problems right in front of us.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Anyone else wondering where in the setlist this song will make sense? Opener? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    bbiggs said:
    Somewhere in the 4-8 spot 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    hopefully on the cutting room floor...
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited January 2020
    Seeing how pretty much everywhere, including Pitchfork, is praising the song, I am finding myself pleasantly surprised at how most people are seemingly open to a veteran rock band straying from their playbook and trying something new for them.  It is really encouraging as a whole, to see that happening
    Pitchfork regularly publishes Pearl Jam news. Just because they're talking about the song doesn't mean they're praising it. Fully expect them to take a giant dump on this song.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    AVG75 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    We get it. You don’t like. I’m sorry. 
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,038
    I’m kinda digging it but I also kind of can’t stand when he says “burn your assumptions!”
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    AVG75 said:
    After a dozen listens I gotta be honest... the lyrics make no sense, no connections to a theme or meaning...
    just chanting nonsense and cliches... I guess it has a cool grove if you just learned how to play your instruments...or your drum machine.
    I detect clear themes about the folly of presuming to know the future, and the trap of failing to learn from the past.

I also hear a commentary on gender politics and differences, with a nod to the #metoo movement.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    PJADED12PJADED12 Quispamsis NB Canada Posts: 8
    I give it a very positive,positive  positive review 
    Expecting perfection leaves a lot to ignore
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    edited January 2020
    I, along with my boy Napoleon Dynamite approve this song. 

https://youtu.be/RzBJ0L-Ujd4
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:
    After a dozen listens I gotta be honest... the lyrics make no sense, no connections to a theme or meaning...
    just chanting nonsense and cliches... I guess it has a cool grove if you just learned how to play your instruments...or your drum machine.
    I detect clear themes about the folly of presuming to know the future, and the trap of failing to learn from the past.

I also hear a commentary on gender politics and differences, with a nod to the #metoo movement.
    Lyrics are very cliche and Ham Fisted like everything on Lightning Bolt... 
    Post edited by AVG75 on
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited January 2020
    AVG75 said:
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:

yeh cause Ed's spent the last 7 years wearing a Pussy Hat, protesting with his wife and Watching Baseball...lol 
    Seems like you detest them more on principle than on their delivery. Also very weak of you to criticize someone for standing up for what they believe in.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    AlaG said:
    AVG75 said:
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:

yeh cause Ed's spent the last 7 years wearing a Pussy Hat, protesting with his wife and Watching Baseball...lol 
    Seems like you detest them more on principle than on their delivery.
    They're my favorite band of all time but they've phoned in the last couple albums at the last minute, piecing together bits and pieces of demos that they all work on seperately and try to work into songs, and it comes off sounding like unfinished demos and b-sides. 
    Post edited by AVG75 on
  • Options
    TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 535
    edited January 2020
    I liked it first listen because I expected different and it is.  The more I listen to it the more I am grooving to it... it’s different, Bowie like and great lyrics.  Well done.  It’s evolution baby.
  • Options
    BTW Jeremy was way ahead of it’s time and so is this.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 561
    PJ/Ramones lyrics and Talking Heads sound about our current cultural issues. 
    Fuckin beautiful. 
  • Options
    when HYPE meets HYPE...i fucking LOVE when that happens !
    bravo PJ bravo !!
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 582
    AVG75 said:
    AlaG said:
    AVG75 said:
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:

They're my favorite band of all time but they've phoned in the last couple albums at the last minute, piecing together bits and pieces of demos that they all work on seperately and try to work into songs, and it comes off sounding like unfinished demos and b-sides. 
    What's weak is that Ed's preaching the same shit that we hear all day and night on TV, Movies, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... I don't need to wait 7 years to hear what's being said every day, every where you look... maybe Lizzo will open up for them...lol
    Oh yeah, no proud boy brainwashed voices on any of those platforms. Where ever do you true original thinkers get your info from?
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 582
    Great song. Musically lyrically performance production - can’t wait for album.
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    AVG75 said:
    AlaG said:
    AVG75 said:
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:

What's weak is that Ed's preaching the same shit that we hear all day and night on TV, Movies, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... I don't need to wait 7 years to hear what's being said every day, every where you look... maybe Lizzo will open up for them...lol
    EV has been preaching since he wrote "Pro Choice" on his arm during MTV unplugged in 1992.  They have always been a political band. If you don't like it, don't listen to them.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited January 2020
    AVG75 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hopefully not, I already know this song can be a banger in a live setting just based on the groove and ambience and general badassness of the track
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    CC55781CC55781 Posts: 26
    I love when bands take stands or sing about current events or fight for what’s right etc... In the 1960s political music was everywhere and it still holds up today. We need musicians to speak truth to power. Too many entertainers are just out to please everyone and make money. Not my thing. I hope this album is full of protest, rage, and clever lyrics. 

I dislike the sound of this first track. It doesn’t sound real to me. Synth and drum machines aren’t my thing and have no true space around the instruments like a real drum in a real environment. This sounds like a plastic song to me. 

I would’ve loved to hear more of Ed’s vocal range as well. 

With respect to lyrics, it’s pretty cryptic. I think I can glean something from them but then again I don’t really know. It’s like reading tea leaves. 

It’s art. I get it. Looking forward to the rest of the album and the show at MSG. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    This is getting such a positive response. Happy for the band. Even people that aren’t into it seem to appreciate the fact that they’re at least trying something totally new. 
    when i first heard it, i was nervous coming here. i figured there'd be about 14 closed threads about how the band is done and the song is utter garbage. you're right, it's a very positive response, and i'm glad my assumption was incorrect.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 561
    This will be a great shout out  to culture, environment and politics. If that's not your thing, you still get the classics. 
  • Options
    I didn’t like it the first time I listened to it. Then I listened a few more times and I love it. 

I feel a real Television influence to the song. Marquee Moon?