[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• TremormanTremorman Posts: 385
    Pretty cool vibe,... Ed sounds damn good.   Reminding me a bit of Peter Gabriel,...practically no cymbals,  just hi-hat 

Gotta see how this matures …
    Gabriel, great Ed vocals and no big cymbals, my thoughts too!
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Do I like it, or do I like it because it’s Pearl Jam.  That’s all I keep asking myself.  
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235
    Just watched the video. It’s awesome. I’m digging this more and more each listen. (On about listen number 6)
    https://youtu.be/xJwuP5wPCLQ
  • I can’t imagine the entire lp will be in this vein. But good for PJ for stretching themselves. Not my cup of tea but as long as it keeps them interested it’s ok by me. 

Vocals approach Lydon’s PIL vocals. First thing I thought was Talking Heads. 
    I got id
  • Kat said:
    Kat said:
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

this is the perfect addition to your comment @Kat
    It made me smile

Are you saying we're all not as young as we used to be? Like when Ten was released?  :D I love it too, thanks.
    Nah @Kat my thought was it's such a great song that all the older folks had to get up and dance but your thought applies too! ;)
  • For the first time ever I've decided to change my profile picture . . . that says something, doesn't it ;)
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,392
    Upon further review.

Be glad if you got tickets in 10 club. I have friends who barely like PJ hitting me up to ask if I have spares from fanclub presale.

This will hit a larger market than any the last 3 or 4 albums and be really successful I think. Be prepared for it.
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

It made me smile

Are you saying we're all not as young as we used to be? Like when Ten was released?  :D I love it too, thanks.
    Nah @Kat my thought was it's such a great song that all the older folks had to get up and dance but your thought applies too! ;)
    Love the enthusiasm of the gentleman with two canes. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Alt Nation just played it.  DJ was praising it
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    When can’t deny me came out, I listened to it 3-4 times.  Never went back to it.  

Clairvoyants is now on my 20th listen. 

Really digging it.  Cheers to Pearl Jam for putting  out a song that’s fresh and exciting.   Wasn’t expecting to be this pleasantly surprised.  I’ve been fan since ‘92

• Also played six times at alternative radiostation KINK in the netherlands. If you're a PJ fan and want to hear the new tune as often as possible, that's definitely the radio station for you. 
  • clk019clk019 Posts: 88
    edited January 2020

I like this a lot... A lot. It's a hint toward what six or more years of growth can allow for ... while giving a nod toward past and future sounds and experiments. It's Sleight of Hand sped up on the record player with an incredible drum track and funky little riff. Remember You Are off of Riot Act...? Calls to my mind.

A friend mentioned The Police and I'm thinking of Synchronicity II though earlier albums are probably a closer comp. 

Is it a departure from the early albums? Yes. Does it sound like the last two? Not really. Is it indicative of the entire album? History says not likely.

And this lyric... this lyric just hits a spot right now in the world we've got at in this year of our creator 2020...

I know the girls wanna dance
    Clairvoyants in a trance
    I know the boys wanna grow
    Their dicks and fix and file things

I'm excited for what is to come.

Post edited by clk019 on
    So held by these thoughts
    They refuse to slip away
    Hangman in dreamland
    About to call your name
    Much to be done
    Much to be

07/26/98, 10/08/00, 06/21/03, 09/09/05, 05/16/06, 05/17/06 – (WOW), 05/19/06 – (DOUBLE WOW), 05/20/06, 08/05/07, 06/17/08, 05/07/10, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 10/20/14 – (THE MOST MAGICAL THING EVER), 11/14/16 – (Temple of the Dog), 05/09/22. Coming Soon: 08/29/24 and 08/31/24.

• Kat said:
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

It made me smile

Love the enthusiasm of the gentleman with two canes. :)

Me too! Then he throws them down and just starts FEELING IT!!
    I hope I can move like that at that age cuz damn....he's still got it.
  • Great tune, love it 
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • I like it.  And I think it has the legs to be a real radio hit with the not traditional PJ fan Millenials and ladies (I am forcing my wife to listen to it before she gets to go to a show with me).  Lukin it is not...but that's okay.  I'm sure we'll get some bangers on the album.  
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • The video makes the song better...
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Nonplussed. Sounds like they hung out too long with Niles Rodgers at the RNR HOF

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited January 2020
    Hope is is as good live as I think it will be.....studio....meh.  Ed sounds meh,  where is MFC.....nice groove though

Edit MFC is playing  the drums as per Stone on Sirius.  Just one high hat symbol spind is electronic, rest is MFC, damn that man is good 
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    hrd2imgn said:
    Hope is is as good live as I think it will be.....studio....meh.  Ed sounds meh,  where is MFC.....nice groove though 
    Playing the drum sound you hear throughout.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PapPap Posts: 28,733
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,548
    Kat said:

Yes!
  • ...an 80s New Wave song from a 90s grunge band takes balls
    I'm so excited about the direction they're taking with this song. Totally within my comfort zone. I am enamored. 
    I carried a watermelon
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    tbergs said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    Playing the drum sound you hear throughout.
    It’s amazing how many people think MC isn’t playing the drums. 
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,548
    I can’t understand how people would not live this song. 
    You've spent more than a few days on this forum, right?   =)   People knew they were going to hate this song when they got denied GA tickets last week.  
    Hahaha yes my bad 
  • moleculemolecule Posts: 622
    Where does the "Mach 1" come in with the video title? What does it mean?

🤙
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 155
    It's You Are, with a splash of Know you Rights, followed by a W.M.A style ending. Yep, its good.
  • Tjm007 said:
    AlaG said:
    TN49724 said:
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
    This song is going to get absolutely destroyed by critics and casual fans. Almost guaranteed. Just because its so different for this band and they're kind of on the outs with the aforementioned crowds anyways. Saying this as someone who likes the song.
    When U2 did Achtung Baby it was a radical departure but was universally accepted because the songs were strong.

Ditto Nirvana unplugged.

PJ could easily release a synth pop album if the songs are killer. This is filler.
    I don't know if I would call this filler on the slightest!  It is a very memorable melody and definitely single material
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    nickny said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.

Based on what they've said, the whole album is a departure.

I'm very hesitant to work very much to fight to get MSG tix. So good news for the fanbase.
    Lol 
    Yep, the live shows are ruined now that they're going to play...... 3 songs (?) from the new album on top of the other 20something classic songs.
    Fuckin insane. This dude spends every minute on this forum , arguing with people , paragraphs at a time. Posting definitions ,  now doesn’t want to try fir an msg ticket because of the new single. 
    http://youtu.be/LwE4LNP8zsI

• I heard it three times this morning in my car and twice on my headphones. 

Just awesome! 
    rustedsigns
  • TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    Although honestly I find that speaks more about that specific radio station and DJs than it does the new PJ song

A radio station that writes off a brand new song in 30 secs to go back to songs in their musical comfort zone is not a radio station I am interested in checking out at all lol