Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by Sea on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    edited January 2020
    Deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    AVG75 said:
    AVG75 said:
    Jason P said:
    You have the drummer that did Jesus Christ Pose.  This is like using Frank Thomas to bunt.
    yeh, and one of the greatest rhythm guitar players ever playing bass, greatest bass players playing keyboards, and greatest lead guitarist playing 3 notes over and over again... I think it was written yesterday, a few hours before release... 1st Take. LOL
    We get it, you don't like the song.  LOL
    I liked it when DEVO wrote it in 1984... LOL
    Literally sounds nothing like DEVO
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    @brianlux you need to give it a chance brother.  I thought I was gonna hate it after the first listen.  It has gotten better and better each listen and Im loving it now.

.brianlux said:
    I made it through about 1/2 minute before moving on.   Sorry guys, but this sounds like a bad imitation of 80's new wave  with David Byrne with a scratchy throat. on vocals.

Also, if you're giving up after 30 seconds ... it's really at about the 2-minute mark where Mike slides in with the Prince-sounding guitar that things really start to get good.

Full disclosure, this really isn't my style of music. I wasn't a huge fan of 80s new wave when it was new. Probably I would have pulled the plug 30 seconds in on any other band. I kept with it and have re-listened because it's these guys. And it's fine. It's not my favorite track they've ever done, but there are definitely things about it I like. I will enjoy hearing it performed live.
    This is dead on for me last night.  I don’t love new wave but with each listen this song really works. It’s great!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited January 2020
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    I guess it only takes one?

I'm liking the song.

HOPE this is a good sign for the rest of the album.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    The internet is fun. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    edited January 2020
    Re-opened

Please see the Posting Guidelines. Personal attacks and name calling are not ok. If you see a problem post, please report it and let a moderator handle it. If you cannot get along with someone please put them on your ignore list.

We all have different opinions, expressing them respectfully and politely is the key…and it’s the rules.

Please be kind and take care of each other.
    Thank you

Posting Guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

4. Please respect topic integrity by not derailing discussions from the original poster’s intent (OP). You can begin a new topic of your own in the appropriate forum.

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    cloudsnmarscloudsnmars Switzerland (for now) But from Aotearoa Posts: 113
    Take a bow Pearl Jam , take a bow... 10 albums in and they could have easily rehashed one of them to release somethig which sounds the same . But they've come up with DotC which is simply phenomenal..have had 2 days with it and simply adore it ... that outro live is going to huuuuge! Will take something special to supplant this as track of the year for me... We as fans are very lucky indeed.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited January 2020
    Take a bow Pearl Jam , take a bow... 10 albums in and they could have easily rehashed one of them to release somethig which sounds the same . But they've come up with DotC which is simply phenomenal..have had 2 days with it and simply adore it ... that outro live is going to huuuuge! Will take something special to supplant this as track of the year for me... We as fans are very lucky indeed.
    Maybe Superblood Wolfmoon will  :D
    with such a crazy title it has to be big
    just listened to DotC again... yep, still awesome 
  • Options
    Thank you very much Sea for dealing with the problem posts made these last few pages!

Getting back to the song itself, the more I get acquainted with it the more I find myself enjoying it more and more.  Listening to the groove and how the band as a whole contributes to the synergy that occurs - of course that is present in all of their songs however with a style such as this which is very groove based both drum-wise and guitar and bass-wise, it is even more evident
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    Really good cover
    https://youtu.be/rRlseVQSJQY
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 146
    Jason P said:
    You have the drummer that did Jesus Christ Pose.  This is like using Frank Thomas to bunt.
    Underrated post.
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited January 2020
    Tjm007 said:
    Jason P said:
    Underrated post.
    Although going back to that idea - wouldn't going all "Jesus Christ Pose" on this song be a bit overkill?  

As a guitar player, I know when it is time to do my Steve Vai impression, and when to hang out on one note and really make that one note count a la BB King.  Matt Cameron is a competent drummer, I find what he is doing to this song is adding music, not simply drum parts.  And that is why it works so well.  

Going "Jesus Chris Pose" on a four on the floor New Wave song with a vibey meditative ostinado jam would be just as out of place as doing a Neil Peart drum fill over a Norah Jones song in my opinion
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    I give them an “A” for trying something different.  I give them a “C” for execution.

I’d prefer the synth sound in the first ~20-25 seconds be removed and then remove the last ~25-30 seconds of the song to shorten/tighten it up so I don’t lose interest.  

It will be interesting to hear how it sounds when performed live.  
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,907
    Only given it 4-5 listens over 24 hours. I like it! It’s different, the bands always evolving, looking forward to the rest of the record. I don’t want to listen to it too much so I listen with fresh ears when the albums released as a whole. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 225
    The music video reminds me of that video Eddie, Jeff, and Cliff were watching in the "Singles" movie. Remember that part when they were watching some bee pollination video or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwuP5wPCLQ

My thoughts too! Make me laugh! THE BEES!

By the way, great video!

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    Would I love this song if played by any other band ? Not sure, but probably not. Played by this band? Damn sure I love it. Haunting track. They wouldn't have released many more albums playing Got Some-like and Let The Record Play-like songs. But I can see then evolving into a new sound for the next decade. So Dance of the Clairvoyants is mostly welcomed. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    KM73780 said:
    I’m kinda digging it but I also kind of can’t stand when he says “burn your assumptions!”
    Love this whole verse 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Sometimes you have to surprise the infielders. They've been playing deep and you need to keep them on their toes.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    Tjm007 said:
    Jason P said:
    Underrated post.
    The goal of every at-bat is to maximize offense. You would take a home run every time if you could.

It is not the goal of every song to be Moby Dick or YYZ.
  • Options
    That song is not about whales at all.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,834
    The music video reminds me of that video Eddie, Jeff, and Cliff were watching in the "Singles" movie. Remember that part when they were watching some bee pollination video or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwuP5wPCLQ

My thoughts too! Make me laugh! THE BEES!

By the way, great video!

Arrested Development Bees GIF
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    That song is not about whales at all.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    The Rolling Stone review said it best that you can tell the band is still trying and its a group effort to write and play this music...these guys arent cashing it in 30 years later and we should be happy about that

Ive had this song on repeat non-stop...love it...can't wait to hear it live in St. Louis 
  • Options
    halshakarchihalshakarchi Toronto Posts: 176
    I listened to it 6 times in a row while getting ready this morning. It’s catchy.
  • Options
    1st time poster :-).
    On first listen to my ears it's got a definite Cure groove.
    New directions and horizons are good, the band needs to keep on evolving.
    Would have liked Ed a bit more up,front and centre in the mix.
    I'm sure rest of album won't disappoint.