Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    The more I listen the more my dick grows  :D
    "Grows your dick" stickered on the cover of every LP might sell a few extra copies.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    I like this song.  It's interesting and different, but not in a way that makes listening to it feel like homework.

That said, here are a couple of predictions:

1) This song will not be representative of the overall sound of the album.  It is more likely that it will be as "Who You Are" was to "No Code," an outlier.  ("No Code" took some chances, but nothing else on it sounded like "Who You Are," the rhythms of "In My Tree" notwithstanding.)

2) This song will not grow the Pearl Jam audience.  That's less a function of the quality of the song than it is the world we live in.  There is almost no room for rock music in the pop world today, which is dominated by EDM-flavored pop and trap-flavored rap, and what room there is certainly doesn't get filled by a "legacy" act like Pearl Jam.  As far as the rock audience is concerned, the sad reality is that there is a limited number of people who want to hear new or challenging music even from bands they love.  Rock stations will play this song for a week or two, and then it will disappear like "Mind Your Manners" and "The Fixer" did shortly after their releases, even as "Jeremy" and "Better Man" keep getting regular spins.  KROQ in Los Angeles, one of the most influential "alternative" rock stations, is running ads today to win tickets to Pearl Jam shows in L.A. and London.  The ad features a half-dozen PJ songs; none of them was released after 1994.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I wish the video had little cuts of them recording this in the studio
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    Loving this song.

- ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 737
    PJ-Cubs said:
    JR86440 said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Better than Let the Records Play
    Worse than Given to Fly

I need a few more listens to develop a stronger opinion.  I did not love it on first listen but that may be because it is so different than what they have done in the past. 
    At this point in their careers, I don't expect them to write another Given to Fly, RVM, Corduroy etc.. This song is cool and that works for me
    Do you mean that you don't expect them to write something as good as those songs or do you mean that you do not expect them to write that type of song again?

As good.
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    BF25394 said:
    It is more likely that it will be as "Who You Are" was to "No Code," an outlier. 

Listening to it for the first few times this morning, I got the same feeling when I listened to the Who You Are single before No Code was released - something unexpected, but awesome, was being blasted into my ears.

I can't wait to listen to it thru a real stereo system.

- ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    Makes me realize how awful Can’t Deny Me is. This is great. Full album now please.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    The guitar riff is total bad ass.  Anybody tab this out yet?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    just listened twice. Had to come here to comment right away. I had low expectations. I THINK I LOVE IT! obviously very Talking Heads, who I love. I'm so impressed with them for growing. THIS IS MUSIC TO DANCE TO! I'm actually shocked by this song. 
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I listened 4 times consecutively on my drive into work today. Last song I heard. It has literally been on repeat in my brain since 8:00 a.m.  “POSITIVE, POSITIVE, POSITIVE!!!” 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    thank u Josh Evans so this time we can listen jeff bass 
    Stone plays bass on this ✌🏼
    It doesn't matter.. Thing is we gonna listen the bass. 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    edited January 2020
    Surprising, loving it, I wonder how it will translate live.  Didn’t expect such a renewal but glad to hear it. Now I need this in cd FLAC and vinyl. Very exciting to hear your favorite band sounding that different. Unlike a previous poster I think the album is gonna be pretty atmospheric and I’m curious to hear the band members talking about the process.
    Enjoying what seems to be a warm welcome here so far and that video is just what I needed tonight..

Post edited by Tristelune on
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    It’s just a reflektor, it’s just a reflektor, it’s just a reflektor...
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    I'm into the new Pearl Jam sound!
  • Options
    ten zten z Posts: 55
    I like this new track.  Getting some David Bowie vibes.  I love that the band is shaking things up and going for a different sound.  Looking forward to the new album even more than I was before.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    Seeing how pretty much everywhere, including Pitchfork, is praising the song, I am finding myself pleasantly surprised at how most people are seemingly open to a veteran rock band straying from their playbook and trying something new for them.  It is really encouraging as a whole, to see that happening
  • Options
    GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 586
    AlaG said:
    The more I listen the more my dick grows  :D
    "Grows your dick" stickered on the cover of every LP might sell a few extra copies.
    hahaha... eddie know the boys wanna grow
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • Options
    This song is deadly.
    No need to be void,... or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all.....

PJ
    Toronto 2003 · Boston I, 2004 · Kitchener 2005 · London 2005 · Hamilton 2005 · Toronto 2005 · Toronto I, 2006 · Toronto II, 2006 · Mansfield I, 2008 · Mansfield II, 2008 · Philadelphia III, 2009 · Philadelphia IV, 2009 · Cleveland 2010 · *Buffalo 2010* · PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY 2011 · Toronto I, 2011 · Toronto II, 2011 · Hamilton 2011 · London (ON) 2013 · Buffalo 2013 · Toronto I, 2016 · Toronto II, 2016 · Chicago I, 2018 · Chicago II, 2018

EV
    Montreal I, 2008 · Montreal II, 2008 · Albany 2009 · Philadelphia 2011 · Fort Lauderdale I, 2012 · Orlando I, 2012 · Orlando II, 2012
  • Options
    JC8074JC8074 Posts: 127
    Produced by St. Vincent?  I don't like the lines about boys' d***s though.  That's creepy.
    I like it all except that line.  Looking forward to the new album, reminded me of hearing Who You Are for the first time.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    @lastexitlondon this song could be growing on me.  Damn what is wrong with me?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've listened to the song a few times throughout the day and it's really grown on me already. I'm very excited to hear the rest of the record now.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    I like it. 
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    @lastexitlondon this song could be growing on me.  Damn what is wrong with me?!
    It’s good. I’m convinced after a few listens. I was not sure that first listen last night. I think I love it. 
  • Options
    fookiefookie Posts: 251
    Maybe the most melodic and groovy song they ever wrote. This band does not get lazy - ever

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    BS44325 said:
    That is a good call right there.  Can't believe I didn't make that connection.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    BS44325 said:

Absolutely reminds me of AF.
  • Options
    Best first single in 20 years  Love it 
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    JC8074 said:
    Produced by St. Vincent?  I don't like the lines about boys' d***s though.  That's creepy.
    I like it all except that line.  Looking forward to the new album, reminded me of hearing Who You Are for the first time.
    If it helps, my guess is he's referring to grown men acting like boys.
  • Options
    The first couple verses Ed channeled some David Byrne. Very cool.
    I like it can’t wait to hear it live...