[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Absoutely Horrible...  It's no "Yellow Ledbetter"!!!!   Very dissapointed....
  • nickny said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.

Based on what they've said, the whole album is a departure.

I'm very hesitant to work very much to fight to get MSG tix. So good news for the fanbase.
    Lol 
    Yep, the live shows are ruined now that they're going to play...... 3 songs (?) from the new album on top of the other 20something classic songs.
    Fuckin insane. This dude spends every minute on this forum , arguing with people , paragraphs at a time. Posting definitions ,  now doesn’t want to try fir an msg ticket because of the new single. 
    http://youtu.be/LwE4LNP8zsI

Thought it was gonna be Might Be Wrong, that woulda been more fitting.
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,281
    edited January 2020
    fzoglma said:
    Absoutely Horrible...  It's no "Yellow Ledbetter"!!!!   Very dissapointed....
    I mean I get if the style isn't for everyone. But they are clearly going for a different sound - this will be like hearing Nothing As It Seems and going "it is no "Why Go", what is this Pink Floyd crap" lol, in the sense that they are not trying to recreate sounds they have already done with these tunes

So of course a Talking Heads inspired song is not going to sound like a Hendrix inspired guitar jam
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Hold OnHold On Posts: 80
    Wow!  Total Talking Heads influence.  This song could have easily been on the “Remain in Light” album.  Certainly a different sound for Pearl Jam, but since I’m a huge Talking Heads fan, I like it.  
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,591
    Seems to be getting much more of an initial reaction and response in general than Cant Deny Me or Mind Your Manners.  Or perhaps I am just excited and seeking out everyone's opinion on this.    
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    I like it, different, but in a good way.  the shock of the new sound was hard to grasp at first.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    nickny said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.

I'm very hesitant to work very much to fight to get MSG tix. So good news for the fanbase.
    Lol 
    Yep, the live shows are ruined now that they're going to play...... 3 songs (?) from the new album on top of the other 20something classic songs.
    Fuckin insane. This dude spends every minute on this forum , arguing with people , paragraphs at a time. Posting definitions ,  now doesn’t want to try fir an msg ticket because of the new single. 

Yea. Ok. 
  • gundagunda Posts: 97
    After a few listens and much thought, I really like this song. Its a new direction for the band I hope the rest of the album holds up. In any event this just got me more pumped the tour. 
    8-23-00 jones beach 10-21-01 cal 7-14_03 pnc 5-18_10 nj msg1 5-20-10
  • LOVE IT! BRILLIANT! 
  • Thumbs up for the new song. I honestly thought they were done making albums--guess they were just taking some time to carve out a new path. Hope the new song is not just an anomaly but rather part of a whole new sonic canvas. Love almost all the previous albums (though Lightning Bolt was kind of eh), but they definitely need to mix it up. Good job!
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    nickny said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:

Lol 

Thought it was gonna be Might Be Wrong, that woulda been more fitting.
    Taste is subjective
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    nicknyr15 said:
    nickny said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:

Lol 

Yea. Ok. 

It's a joke. Enjoy the new tune man.
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 975
    Thumbs up for the new song. I honestly thought they were done making albums--guess they were just taking some time to carve out a new path. Hope the new song is not just an anomaly but rather part of a whole new sonic canvas. Love almost all the previous albums (though Lightning Bolt was kind of eh), but they definitely need to mix it up. Good job!
    Feel like this was definitely a case of them attempting to find a sound that they were excited about for the past several years. Record probably came together quite easily once they figured that out.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    nicknyr15 said:
    nickny said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:

Lol 

Yea. Ok. 

It's a joke. Enjoy the new tune man.
    Ok. Sorry. Didn’t mean to jump on you before.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited January 2020
    The music video reminds me of that video Eddie, Jeff, and Cliff were watching in the "Singles" movie. Remember that part when they were watching some bee pollination video or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwuP5wPCLQ
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Kat said:
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

lol, this song has potential for some great parody videos. Like that Radiohead video (Lotus Flower I think?) where people started setting Thom Yorke's dancing to Beyoncé songs and stuff like that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • lolobugg said:
    Nonplussed. Sounds like they hung out too long with Niles Rodgers at the RNR HOF
    Nonplussed....?  That is funny--as I am totally plussed.  
  • Kat said:
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

Actively have to stop myself from dancing every time I hear it  :)

Love it. You can hear every band members influence on this one. Instantly heard Bowie. Now I'm hearing more complexities each listen. Love that they took a risk and put out something suprising.  All in all it has me very excited for the rest of the album. Love hearing the journey that this band is on through new music.
  • fzoglma said:
    Absoutely Horrible...  It's no "Yellow Ledbetter"!!!!   Very dissapointed....
    Ten 2 or GTFO  ;)
  • I have played his probably 20 times today...more psyched than even earlier.  This is gonna be awesome to hear live, see y’all in 10 weeks!!
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yes yes yes yes!!! Love it! So pumped for the new album now!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Best lead off single since given to fly
  • Holymarymotherofgod I love this song. Absolutely love it. This is gonna slay live.
  • I love every second of it. So different, new shades of paint on an old canvas. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. And count me in with the crowd that thinks this song is going to be fuckin rad live
  • The song will be amazing live I bet! Imagine hearing that bassline and feeling it rattling your bones in person
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,280
    AVG75 said:
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:
    tbergs said:
    AVG75 said:
    Ughhh... sounds like a demo written in 20 minutes... Ed's not even singing, just blurting our cliches... is Stone even in the band anymore???
    This sounds like a rough draft...not thought out...put together on a whim.

Do fans even pay attention to who PJ is anymore?
    Well, they sell out every show so i would say yes...
    This is not technically true.  They came close to selling out, but did not actually sell out, any 2018 show for which box office data was made available, according to Billboard Boxscore.

I don't have older data at my fingertips, but they also have not sold out shows in the South and Midwest in recent years, and they have not sold out all shows on some multiple-night stands.
    yeah, because nobody buys the 50 seats in the far back corner top row a mile away, so "technically" not a sell out... yet every arena has been packed to the ceiling for 30 years so I'd consider it a "sell-out".  
    Actually, no.  Thousands of unsold seats for some of these shows.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    Showed the song to two colleagues who know basically just Jeremy. One of them will be at the Berlin show. Both really like DofC!
  • AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    edited January 2020
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:
    tbergs said:
    AVG75 said:
    Ughhh... sounds like a demo written in 20 minutes... Ed's not even singing, just blurting our cliches... is Stone even in the band anymore???
    This sounds like a rough draft...not thought out...put together on a whim.

Do fans even pay attention to who PJ is anymore?
    Well, they sell out every show so i would say yes...
    This is not technically true.  They came close to selling out, but did not actually sell out, any 2018 show for which box office data was made available, according to Billboard Boxscore.

I don't have older data at my fingertips, but they also have not sold out shows in the South and Midwest in recent years, and they have not sold out all shows on some multiple-night stands.
    yeah, because nobody buys the 50 seats in the far back corner top row a mile away, so "technically" not a sell out... yet every arena has been packed to the ceiling for 30 years so I'd consider it a "sell-out".  
    Actually, no.  Thousands of unsold seats for some of these shows.

Post edited by AVG75 on
  • ajflickerajflicker Posts: 166
    Better than most Songs on "Lost Dogs"
    Lost Dogs was a great CD. One of my favourites.
  • The more I listen the more my dick grows  :D