Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    JAYHBJAYHB Posts: 76
    Knowing that I usually gravitate towards the live versions of songs more than the studio version, I am dying to hear this song live. Cannot wait.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    nicknyr15 said:
    Wow, thats tight!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Spags said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Wow, thats tight!
    Yea! Pretty impressive. 
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    Great preview of a live version too...  =)
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Spags said:
    Great preview of a live version too...  =)
    ha, I thought that too =) sounds good!
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,892
    So does this fit in as a slow burn opener? A first set closer? I can only imagine how it could segue into Of the Girl or Can't Keep or Nothing as it Seems or Infallible. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2020
    nicknyr15 said:

I am confused by this. This is clearly Ed singing. Did they dub the singing and played along?
    Edit. I checked out his Society cover. that guy has Ed nailed down. Wow.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I am confused by this. This is clearly Ed singing. Did they dub the singing and played along?
    Not Ed. 
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    nicknyr15 said:

No, that’s not Ed. The man singing in the video is singing. Sounds like Ed. I assume they are a PJ cover band.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    EarlWelsh said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No, that’s not Ed. The man singing in the video is singing. Sounds like Ed. I assume they are a PJ cover band.

Thanks for the link @nicknyr15!

• Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Thanks for the link @nicknyr15!

No problem!! Glad to share. 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,286
    Had me in mind of The Man by the Killers throughout the entire song. 

this is exactly what my wife said!
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    @lastexitlondon this song could be growing on me.  Damn what is wrong with me?!
    @mcgruff10  So...did it grow more? :3

• Options
    mr bungle said:
    Had me in mind of The Man by the Killers throughout the entire song. 

this is exactly what my wife said!
    ok, I can hear where you're coming from but I've got to say that Killers song is not my cup of tea at all. I'm gonna see PJ and The Killers at Lolla in Stockholm - saw the Killers live once before and wasn't impressed (even though I like lots of their stuff)
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    These are some of my favorite lyrics. Everything about it is so hypnotic. Then we get those killer melody lines with the layered vocals. BRAVO  :)

So save your predictions and burn your assumptions

Expecting perfection leaves a lot to ignore

"Not one man could be greater than the sum. It's not a negative thought - a positive, positive...POSITIVE!"

But this part until the end is just so fun to sing along with:

I know the girls wanna dance away their circumstance
    I know the boys wanna grow their dicks and fix and fire things
    (STAND BACK WHEN THE SPIRIT COMES)
    I know the girls wanna dance, clairvoyants in a trance

Love this song!! It also puts me in mind of RHCP's The Getaway and QOTSA's Villains albums. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    These are some of my favorite lyrics. Everything about it is so hypnotic. Then we get those killer melody lines with the layered vocals. BRAVO  :)

So save your predictions and burn your assumptions

Expecting perfection leaves a lot to ignore

"Not one man could be greater than the sum. It's not a negative thought - a positive, positive...POSITIVE!"

But this part until the end is just so fun to sing along with:

I know the girls wanna dance away their circumstance
    I know the girls wanna dance, clairvoyants in a trance

Love this song!! It also puts me in mind of RHCP's The Getaway and QOTSA's Villains albums. 
    Agree completely. That verse is the highlight of the song. The lyrics are great, Ed's delivery is great.

As for those 2 albums you mentioned, yes, got vibes of the guitar part from The Getaway and the drums from Villains.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Renfield said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @lastexitlondon this song could be growing on me.  Damn what is wrong with me?!
    @mcgruff10  So...did it grow more? :3

lol, that's awesome.  I could be wrong about this song.  Live in quebec city will be the decider.  It has definitely grown on me more.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Roswellite14Roswellite14 Roswell, New Mexico Posts: 30
    Hopefully, right now, some creative genius is editing together clips of David Byrne/Talking Heads to match this song. If not, I'm terribly disappointed in the intorwebs.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Anyone else wondering where in the setlist this song will make sense? Opener? 
    I doubt it will happen, but I could see this being a great song to end the first set. Ride out that ending even longer. Layer more vocals and instruments. Create a wall of sound, then leave the stage. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Listened a few more times. Like the music, just can't get with the vocals. Maybe its just the aging voice, but again... the song is ok.
    Definitely will not become my new go to PJ song on my playlists.
  • Options
    I've heard it about 30 times and it's now triggering ASMR for me.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    Listened a few more times. Like the music, just can't get with the vocals. Maybe its just the aging voice, but again... the song is ok.
    Definitely will not become my new go to PJ song on my playlists.
    Kinda sad how his vocals sound. He got away with it somewhat on LB but when his voice sounds like this in the studio you know it's lost a lot of it's punch. Age and smoking will do that to do. Obviously he still sounds great but it's not what it used to be. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    pjalive21 said:
    The Rolling Stone review said it best that you can tell the band is still trying and its a group effort to write and play this music...these guys arent cashing it in 30 years later and we should be happy about that

Ive had this song on repeat non-stop...love it...can't wait to hear it live in St. Louis 
    Right on!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    smiths24smiths24 Charleston, SC USA Posts: 24
    Uncle Snuffy said: 
    I give them an “A” for trying something different.  I give them a “C” for execution.

I’d prefer the synth sound in the first ~20-25 seconds be removed and then remove the last ~25-30 seconds of the song to shorten/tighten it up so I don’t lose interest.  

It will be interesting to hear how it sounds when performed live.  

I'm wondering the same thing. All I can picture is how smoothly Radiohead makes this sound work in studio and concert. But this is how they have always made music (for most part). I'm just having a hard time seeing how this song will be smoothly played or transitioned to live. Guess I only have a few more months to find out. 
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,897
    eboweddie said:
    “There was a pile of songs and, really, really, in the last two months, mixed and sort of selected the tracks that really were going to be special. And he did such a great job of bringing everybody’s personalities out. It was probably different than any of us would’ve made individually, but it really captures, I think, the spirit of the band.”

Maybe some of the extra tracks will land on a Lost Dogs II. Or maybe they will be put on a 45 for those still screaming about the club singles. Either way, I'm feeling greedy and want them.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Gossard also gave more insight into what fans could expect from the upcoming album, saying the record has “variety”. “There’s definitely some really straight-ahead rock songs,” he said. “There are some very spare and very simple ballads. It’s got it all I think. And it’s really us. We really did it by ourselves. Ed [Eddie Vedder] did a great job.

People nervous that the whole album was going to be different and DotC can breathe easy.  
  • Options
    The way he emphasizes Ed‘s role it sounds like he mixed the record?!
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074
    https://youtu.be/rRlseVQSJQY

Someone posted this in another thread. Seems these guys did a pretty kick ass job of translating live. 

smiths24 said:
    Uncle Snuffy said: 
    I give them an “A” for trying something different.  I give them a “C” for execution.

I’d prefer the synth sound in the first ~20-25 seconds be removed and then remove the last ~25-30 seconds of the song to shorten/tighten it up so I don’t lose interest.  

It will be interesting to hear how it sounds when performed live.  

I'm wondering the same thing. All I can picture is how smoothly Radiohead makes this sound work in studio and concert. But this is how they have always made music (for most part). I'm just having a hard time seeing how this song will be smoothly played or transitioned to live. Guess I only have a few more months to find out.