Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    I like it the more I listen to it, especially with some good headphones.

With the synth part sounds a little like the beginning of and going into......

"We can dance if you want to, we can leave our friends behind....."

In a good way though. Hopefully not a similar video though
    First video I ever saw on MTV. Jeez you just took me back....
    I remember being fascinated.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,822
    edited January 2020
    thebends9 said:
    For you guys having a hard time with the single, you're going to hate the initial tour rehearsal shots...

:rofl::rofl:

I was thinking a little more this look

but I like how you think
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,503
    AVG75 said:
    tbergs said:
    AVG75 said:
    Ughhh... sounds like a demo written in 20 minutes... Ed's not even singing, just blurting our cliches... is Stone even in the band anymore???
    This sounds like a rough draft...not thought out...put together on a whim.

Do fans even pay attention to who PJ is anymore?
    Well, they sell out every show so i would say yes...
    This is not technically true.  They came close to selling out, but did not actually sell out, any 2018 show for which box office data was made available, according to Billboard Boxscore.

I don't have older data at my fingertips, but they also have not sold out shows in the South and Midwest in recent years, and they have not sold out all shows on some multiple-night stands.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,661

“Falling down, not staying down

Could’ve held me up, brother, tear me down

Drown in the river”

I love this part of the song!

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,105
    Mikes guitar work is sick on this. I can’t wait to see him do this one live during that kick ass guitar lick in the middle!  
  • Options
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    I think we all want to like Pearl Jam and have given the song a chance.  I played it for someone at work who is not a fan and they laughed when Ed started singing.   It sounds forced.   I like it because I gave it a chance, but am curious how the non-fans will take it.  I'll probably have a bunch of coworkers listen and see what they say. 
    All the non-fans who can't stand or like to parody Vedder's vocal delivery are gonna have a great time trashing this song and probably the entire album. Not that I really care what they think.
  • Options
    AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    BF25394 said:
    AVG75 said:
    tbergs said:
    AVG75 said:
    Ughhh... sounds like a demo written in 20 minutes... Ed's not even singing, just blurting our cliches... is Stone even in the band anymore???
    This sounds like a rough draft...not thought out...put together on a whim.

Do fans even pay attention to who PJ is anymore?
    Well, they sell out every show so i would say yes...
    This is not technically true.  They came close to selling out, but did not actually sell out, any 2018 show for which box office data was made available, according to Billboard Boxscore.

I don't have older data at my fingertips, but they also have not sold out shows in the South and Midwest in recent years, and they have not sold out all shows on some multiple-night stands.
    yeah, because nobody buys the 50 seats in the far back corner top row a mile away, so "technically" not a sell out... yet every arena has been packed to the ceiling for 30 years so I'd consider it a "sell-out".  
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    Some of you guys are acting like it sounds like Fatboy Slim or something. Fuckin relax.
  • Options
    Sounded like new RHCP based on the snippet we first received, I did not think of Talking Heads right away until a buddy shared his feedback, maybe a little Townshend growl and then a Peter Gabriel vibe on the 2nd half. (Glancing through the comments, people have all picked up on that and more!)

Jury is still out for me though. Need a bunch more listens.
    1995 - Milwaukee, Night 1 ~~~ 2004 - VFC Toledo ~~~ 2006 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2009 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~
    2011 - PJ 20 East Troy, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2013 - Wrigley ~~~ 2014 - Moline ~~~ 2016 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2018 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2022 - STL~~~ 2023 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2
  • Options
    AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    EarlWelsh said:
    Some of you guys are acting like it sounds like Fatboy Slim or something. Fuckin relax.
    it kinda does...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,565
    edited January 2020
    AlaG said:
    I think we all want to like Pearl Jam and have given the song a chance.  I played it for someone at work who is not a fan and they laughed when Ed started singing.   It sounds forced.   I like it because I gave it a chance, but am curious how the non-fans will take it.  I'll probably have a bunch of coworkers listen and see what they say. 
    All the non-fans who can't stand or like to parody Vedder's vocal delivery are gonna have a great time trashing this song and probably the entire album. Not that I really care what they think.

When I say non-fans, I mean people who may not even know a PJ song.  They could be 23 years old and listening to Ariana Grande.  I'm not talking about 40 year olds who still think Nirvana is the best ever and hate Eddie. 

My first response was "this must be a bad parody" but then got to the chorus and gave it a for more listens.  Love it.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,888
    i'm guessing this tour is going to have really ramped up production; big video screen with tons of visuals of nature and how the world has changed and images of corporate america and stuff like that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2020
    I like it, was stunned when I first heard it and didn’t get it but it’s different and a welcome change. Now I really like it. It’s not a sing along and will piss the old frats boys out of the equation which I like. I like that they did something so new. It’s ok if you don’t like it, it’s their opinion but it’s stuck in my head and I think people’s opinions will change by next week. I’m not sure how they pull this off live, especially the last minute or so of the song. They released this single on purpose, they know what they are doing. For a radio station to play 30 seconds and then stop it is ridiculous and shows that their dj is a dipshit. 
  • Options
    Pretty cool vibe,... Ed sounds damn good.   Reminding me a bit of Peter Gabriel,...practically no cymbals,  just hi-hat 

Gotta see how this matures …
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,105
    I like it, was stunned when I first heard it and didn’t get it but it’s different and a welcome change. Now I really like it. It’s not a sing along and will piss the old frats boys out of the equation which I like. I like that they did something so new. It’s ok if you don’t like it, it’s their opinion but it’s stuck in my head and I think people’s opinions will change by next week. I’m not sure how they pull this off live, especially the last minute or so of the song. They released this single on purpose, they know what they are doing. For a radio station to play 30 seconds and then stop it is ridiculous and shows that their dj is a dipshit. 
    Exactly. And those saying they are trying to hard to be current or gain new fans I don’t think they give a fuck at all. To me it is them exploring their sound and pushing their experimentation. I can pretty pretty confidently say I don’t think these guys give a rats ass about radio play or staying “trendy”. To me it sounds like they wanted to really dive into their creativity and do something totally new and different. 
  • Options
    It’s good, it’s official
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited January 2020
    Well, I love it. It is fresh and experimental (for them). I do particularly like when artists push their traditional formulas, and I loved No Code immediately upon release. I am glad to read that the majority is into it. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

Edit: the vocal layering at the end is awesome! There must be at least like 10 tracks of vocals there. 
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    AlaG said:

When I say non-fans, I mean people who may not even know a PJ song.  They could be 23 years old and listening to Ariana Grande.  I'm not talking about 40 year olds who still think Nirvana is the best ever and hate Eddie. 

My first response was "this must be a bad parody" but then got to the chorus and gave it a for more listens.  Love it.

For what its worth, I'm not much older than that and all my friends both know and like Ariana Grande and could tell you the names of at least 5 Pearl Jam songs despite the fact that I have never even bothered to share with all but one or two of them. They're not as elusive to young folks as you might expect.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    This is a good song, it's fresh, it's got a great groove and it's way more interesting than anything on BS or LB.
    There's some great lyrics here. I  love the music, and Ed's vocals serve the song. These guys are 30 years into their career and for them to still take chances like this....is really cool.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,581
    mvw said:

“Falling down, not staying down

Could’ve held me up, brother, tear me down

Drown in the river”

I love this part of the song!

Stuck with that first too!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    thebends9 said:
    For you guys having a hard time with the single, you're going to hate the initial tour rehearsal shots...

:rofl::rofl:

I was thinking a little more this look

but I like how you think
    It would be so cool to see this, how about Mat on the electric drums. Love they added new stuff to tracks, keeps it fresh!
  • Options
    JmeiiiJmeiii Posts: 103
    Love it and love that it is nothing like I would have expected. I realize that this may fall flat with some people, but I appreciate them taking a chance like this.
    Fenway Park: 8/7/2016
    Fenway Park: 9/2/2018
    Fenway Park: 9/4/2018
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,775
    Kat said:
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

this is the perfect addition to your comment @Kat
    It made me smile

Are you saying we're all not as young as we used to be? Like when Ten was released?  :D I love it too, thanks.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    O_G_DO_G_D Toronto Posts: 542
    it’s difficult for me to be constructive when forming any opinions about anything this band does because I love them so much.  The song is different from anything they have done and I do feel a part of me was craving that - I don’t feel this is a be careful what you wish for situation.  It immediately reminded me of Peter Gabriel’s “Digging In The Dirt” a song I’ve always liked.  Now that I’ve seen the video the similarities and feel are more striking to me.

https://youtu.be/X0C3DHp36zc

1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

• Options
    Imagine what the guys in the band must have been feeling last night, sticking their proverbial dick out like this.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,166
    EarlWelsh said:

If it actually sounded like FS I'd be stoked.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2020
    Listened again this morning, and I still like it. The video is perfect along with it. And while I heard a lot of other influences yesterday, today I heard more PJ out of it. To me, it has a really nice flow from beginning to end, and all the unexpected turns and the complexity make me want to listen another time and another time and another time... None of this I felt particularly with any song from the last two albums. On top of that, they all seem to be excited about it too.