Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,723
    edited January 2020
    Im not saying this is definititively the best song theyve done since then, but its the most impressive single ive heard them put out since 98. At this point in time, i have no expectations of being impressed by a pearl jam album. After hearing this song, i have high expectations for this album. Wow wow wow. Thats my initial reaction.
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 498
    I keep hearing Nine Inch Nails.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024 Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,941
    I can’t understand how people would not live this song. 
    You've spent more than a few days on this forum, right?   =)   People knew they were going to hate this song when they got denied GA tickets last week.  
  • Options
    igotid_8 said:
    Interesting, any songs in particular?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,107
    According to Stone on Sirius....this started as Matt's electronic drum beat.  Stone added a bass line to it, then Jeff added the keyboards.  Mike put guitar on top of it and Ed added lyrics.  Matt then decided to do live drums with a digital hi-hat added.

It's different....but they were just screwing around here.  I'm excited for the new album.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    They should be proud of it, plain and simple.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Better than Let the Records Play
    Worse than Given to Fly

I need a few more listens to develop a stronger opinion.  I did not love it on first listen but that may be because it is so different than what they have done in the past. 
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 382
    edited January 2020
    I hear some Peter Gabriel here.  The vocals grabbed me on first listen, music is starting to grow on me.  The chorus kind of deflates the momentum a bit that Ed built in the verse but overall I'm excited for the return of some weird PJ!
    Post edited by Tremorman on
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I can’t understand how people would not live this song. 
    You've spent more than a few days on this forum, right?   =)   People knew they were going to hate this song when they got denied GA tickets last week.  
    Truer words have never been spoken. 

I dig the song (I also got tickets last week). 
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    i like it!   very talking heads ish!

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,010
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OLE has been dethroned 
    Lol.  You are is still the winner. 
    So do you like this one? Curious ;)
    Not my cup of tea.  @JPPJ84
    I don't feel like the song really goes anywhere.  I was waiting for that mccready or gossard shred and it never apperared.  The pattern of the son kind of reminds me of swallowed whole.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
    TN49724 said:
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
    Radio?  What’s that?  The days of radio defining popular music is in the distant past. I would say they may be doing this to cater to their aging audience. 

My daughter is 16 and she’s blown away by it. Now granted she’s a PJ fan. Her first show was Fenway night 1 2016. But she’s going to expose her friends to it. 

My personal theory is that if you like an artist (musical or otherwise) buckle up and take the ride. They are still a group of artists that want to stretch themselves and create. That’s what I hear on this first single and I dig it. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,317
    igotid_8 said:
    Got that too. Echoplex from The Slip came to mind.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I get the Talking Heads, David Bowie comparisons, but I'm also hearing Queen on this one. 
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Worse than Given to Fly

I need a few more listens to develop a stronger opinion.  I did not love it on first listen but that may be because it is so different than what they have done in the past. 
    At this point in their careers, I don't expect them to write another Given to Fly, RVM, Corduroy etc.. This song is cool and that works for me
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    JR86440 said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Worse than Given to Fly

At this point in their careers, I don't expect them to write another Given to Fly, RVM, Corduroy etc.. This song is cool and that works for me
    Do you mean that you don't expect them to write something as good as those songs or do you mean that you do not expect them to write that type of song again?

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    mcgruff10 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OLE has been dethroned 
    Lol.  You are is still the winner. 
    So do you like this one? Curious ;)
    Not my cup of tea.  @JPPJ84
    I don't feel like the song really goes anywhere.  I was waiting for that mccready or gossard shred and it never apperared.  The pattern of the son kind of reminds me of swallowed whole.
    Fair enough. Tastes are different and so they should be. I’m really happy with it
  • Options
    JR86440 said:
    This song is cool and that works for me
    Well said! I didn't really know what to expect. I like it. I think it's got a cool vibe to it. I am pondering the different influences and it definitely gets me curious to hear the rest of the record. Can't wait!
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • Options
    Digging the shit out of this and agree with everyone referencing Talking Heads.  I get a DFA/The Rapture/LCD Soundsystem vibe off it as well, with the "keep on keepin on" drum loop styled beat.  That crowd is pretty explicitly inspired by Talking Heads as well. Will be interesting to hear how this evovles in live performance.

Related : Would love to hear a James Murphy remix stretch this out another five minutes and really dig deep into that groove.

igotid_8 said:
    I get some of that as well, especially that  "Only/Discipline/Echoplex" vein. 

• Options
    Better than most Songs on "Lost Dogs"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited January 2020
    Kat said:
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

Can definitely see that.   Hope the other guys handle the background vox on the outro live.  That ending is amazing. 
  • Options
    Love it!, very Talking Heads, which is no bad thing, can’t wait to hear more!!
  • Options
    I'll probably share an unpopular opinion here . . . but to me this song is way better than anything the band put out the last couple of years. I would even go as far that for me it's better and more special then anything on Backspacer and Lightningbolt. Sounds new and fresh with Ed's vocals and lyrics being as good as ever. I didn't expect it to be THIS good. Really love it and I hope the rest of the album keeps this sound going and builds further upon it because I truly like this direction.
  • Options
    Love it. Something new. Haven't felt like they went in this kind of new direction since You Are or Sleight of Hand. 
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
    What initially hits is how different it is to previous Pearl Jam tracks, mainly because this 80s new wave sound is so prevalent. Sure they've had plenty of influences in their music over the years, but they've absorbed them into their main sound. This is more like Pearl Jam fitting into a genre, a bit like Gremmie Out Of Control (surf rock) or perhaps Sleeping By Myself (country). It doesn't sound like an 80s track by accident, the instruments used and Ed's delivery are deliberate. I'd argue that it's not influenced by the likes of Talking Heads, Bowie, etc (all the bands that have been thrown around since it dropped), but intentionally evokes them. But why and what is the point being made here?

Expecting perfection, Leaves a lot to ignore
    When the past is the present, And the future's no more
    When every tomorrow, Is the same as before

So we have nostalgia (to the sounds of the 80s), being used to emphasize the cyclical nature of human life. We're back. And you may ask yourself, well how did I get here? We're still dealing with the same questions, same problems, same as it ever was. The song feels like it's treading similar ground to Do The Evolution, but rather than rallying against the notion that we are evolving takes a more measured approach to the situation. Imperceptibly big, As big as the ocean, And equally hard to control. 

I love the marriage of mysticism and the 80s sound on this song, putting the synthetic together with talk of clairvoyants and spirits, the superficial with the supernatural. It speaks to a lost understanding of wonder, while exposing what we do with it as small, tragic and limiting. 

We’re stuck in our boxes, Window’s open no more
    Collecting up the forget-me-nots, Not recalling what they’re for

I also like the journey that the Ed/the positive person goes on, feels like they're rising up and their perspective switches from the mortal to the ethereal, the more distance they get the more scathing towards humanity they become, the more damning as they lose their own sense of self. 

I know the girls want to dance, Away their circumstance
    I know the boys want to grow, Their dicks and fix and file things 

No doubt I'll have a completely different reading on this song as time goes on though.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,009
    Better than most Songs on "Lost Dogs"
    insane
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,622
    edited January 2020
    As some have said I hear a Killers Hot Fuss vibe.
    Post edited by PJammer4life on
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    thebends9thebends9 Posts: 514
    My favorite take thus far...

'98 - MSG 
    '00 - Jones Beach (x2)
    '03 - Nassau Coliseum/Tweeter Center/ MSG (x2)
    '04 - Reading, PA
    '05 - Wachovia Center
    '06 - Irving Plaza; Continental Airlines Arena (x2)
    '08 - MSG (x2); Beacon Theater
    '09 - Philly Spectrum (x2)
    '10 - XL Center; Prudential Center; MSG (x2)
    '11 - Alpine Valley (x2)
    '12 - Made In America
    '13 - Wrigley Field; DCU Center; Barclay Center (x2); Wells Fargo Center; XL Center
    '15 - Ed Sullivan Theater
    '16 - MSG (x2)
    '17 - Barclay Center (R&RHOF)
    '18 - Fenway Park
    '22 - MSG