Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 453
    I think this song slots in right before Even Flow or at the start of Encore 1 ... I hope they don't open the show with it
  • Options
    fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    Discopij said:
    I love this song ... but I'm not sure I want it to be Pearl Jam song ... not sure if that makes sense.  I love pizza and I love chinese food, but I don't want a chinese food pizza.
    Very well said! 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,145
    I don’t know if I love this song yet but This is exactly what I wanted. Experimental PJ.  And honestly I hope this record is like No Code and drops some of the negative, nothing is ever ten/vs/Vitalogy fans. I don’t need the same sounds over and over. I liked Backspace and LB but another record similar to those would’ve been boring I think. I hope Gigaton is all over the place with more stuff like Dance and some weird super spaced out stuff. Anyway, m happy they took their time and are proud of what they created. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,945
    I don’t know if I love this song yet but This is exactly what I wanted. Experimental PJ.  And honestly I hope this record is like No Code and drops some of the negative, nothing is ever ten/vs/Vitalogy fans. I don’t need the same sounds over and over. I liked Backspace and LB but another record similar to those would’ve been boring I think. I hope Gigaton is all over the place with more stuff like Dance and some weird super spaced out stuff. Anyway, m happy they took their time and are proud of what they created. 
    exactly where I'm at. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,217
    1. The first half of the song is what I was trying to imagine from the clips that were released.
    2. The second half I couldn't have imagined in a 100 years.
    3. I need to brush up on my dancing skills.
    4. Stand back when the spirit comes.
  • Options
    moleculemolecule Posts: 611
    RP112579 said:
    Great insight into their creative process. Love hearing how it came together.
    🤙
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,835
    edited January 2020
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

@northerndragon That's no synth, that's a guitar.

star wars GIF

it is?
    @HughFreakingDillon Did I use synth here, or all guitars?

FYI if you listen to the interview with Stone before they dropped the single he literally says Ament came in a laid down that arpeggiating keyboard line. Soooooo totally keyboard synth......

Post edited by northerndragon on
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I love it. I wasn't expecting to. It is great.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,984
    Maybe...just maybe...they want us to dance and have fun at the shows?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    Ughhh... sounds like a demo written in 20 minutes... Ed's not even singing, just blurting our cliches... is Stone even in the band anymore???
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,364
    AVG75 said:
    Ughhh... sounds like a demo written in 20 minutes... Ed's not even singing, just blurting our cliches... is Stone even in the band anymore???
    Stone only plays bass on the song. So, yeah.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    AVG75 said:
    No they threw him out after he wrote and played the bass line. Then brought him back to introduce the song on radio and fired him again right after
  • Options
    I like it the more I listen to it, especially with some good headphones.

With the synth part sounds a little like the beginning of and going into......

"We can dance if you want to, we can leave our friends behind....."

In a good way though. Hopefully not a similar video though
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,312
    AVG75 said:
    This sounds like a rough draft...not thought out...put together on a whim.

Do fans even pay attention to who PJ is anymore?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,945
    edited January 2020
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

@northerndragon That's no synth, that's a guitar.

star wars GIF

it is?
    @HughFreakingDillon Did I use synth here, or all guitars?

as a guy who has never really used effects in any way, I get I can't tell the difference. 

edit: stupid quote function. @2-feign-reluctance
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,985
    JimmyV said:
    Maybe...just maybe...they want us to dance and have fun at the shows?
    You could be right!  I hope I am wrong and it kicks ass live.   I'll  find out in quebec city!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,904
    JPPJ84 said:
    AVG75 said:
    No they threw him out after he wrote and played the bass line. Then brought him back to introduce the song on radio and fired him again right after
    😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    First off....I listened to the song when I was driving my daughter to school this morning and immediately told her that the opening stanza had a David Byrne vibe to it....she said, "it sounds kinda like the band that sings Burning Down the House."...I told her "same thing".  Glad to see I didn't miss the boat on the connection.  After listening on repeat all the way into work I was worried that this song may have not been met with initial support from the fans....I am happy to see that I could not have been more out of line with my concern...reading through this thread I was shocked and pleased to see that the song has been welcomed with big open arms...it seems we are a bunch of grungy 80's influenced hippies  :)
    Obviously there is comfort in hearing what we expect...in this instance I was so pleased to hear this band taking a step in a different direction--paying homage to a whole other set of musical influences that obviously intrigued them.  Ready and willing to take a ride down this road...looking forward to the rest of the album....
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    AVG75 said:
    A damn shame too, he seemed real excited about the song.
  • Options
    thebends9thebends9 Posts: 514
    For you guys having a hard time with the single, you're going to hate the initial tour rehearsal shots...

'98 - MSG 
    '00 - Jones Beach (x2)
    '03 - Nassau Coliseum/Tweeter Center/ MSG (x2)
    '04 - Reading, PA
    '05 - Wachovia Center
    '06 - Irving Plaza; Continental Airlines Arena (x2)
    '08 - MSG (x2); Beacon Theater
    '09 - Philly Spectrum (x2)
    '10 - XL Center; Prudential Center; MSG (x2)
    '11 - Alpine Valley (x2)
    '12 - Made In America
    '13 - Wrigley Field; DCU Center; Barclay Center (x2); Wells Fargo Center; XL Center
    '15 - Ed Sullivan Theater
    '16 - MSG (x2)
    '17 - Barclay Center (R&RHOF)
    '18 - Fenway Park
    '22 - MSG
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,012
    Kat said:
    I can see the venue dancing and having fun. :)

this is the perfect addition to your comment @Kat
    It made me smile

• Options
    thebends9 said:
    For you guys having a hard time with the single, you're going to hate the initial tour rehearsal shots...

yeah... and Boom is going to be playing the Harp...
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,735
    TN49724 said:
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
    Radio?  What’s that?  The days of radio defining popular music is in the distant past. I would say they may be doing this to cater to their aging audience. 

My daughter is 16 and she’s blown away by it. Now granted she’s a PJ fan. Her first show was Fenway night 1 2016. But she’s going to expose her friends to it. 

My personal theory is that if you like an artist (musical or otherwise) buckle up and take the ride. They are still a group of artists that want to stretch themselves and create. That’s what I hear on this first single and I dig it. 
    Radio still has the largest audience of any music delivery platform.  By way of example, the most-streamed song in the U.S. last week ("The Box" by Roddy Ricch) was streamed 77 million times (which is actually an unusually high total; the No. 2 song at streaming was streamed 50 million times).  The most-played song at radio ("Circles" by Post Malone) had an audience of over 100 million.  In a typical week, the top song at radio usually has at least a 2-to-1 edge over the top song at streaming.

You have to remember: radio is free, and it is accessible everywhere.  People listen to it in their cars, in their offices, in their homes.  Radio, in addition to drawing large audiences in cities, reaches huge swaths of the country where wi-fi is spotty and streaming is challenging.  Streaming is big, and it's growing fast, but radio is still a very big medium.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    I am digging it.  way different but i'd rather have this, at this time, than a regular formula rocker like most of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt. Not sure how it will translate live but it's weird and strange and i can groove to it.

and the beginning beat reminds me of the song 'cannonball' from like the early to mid 90s maybe?
    Agree. The band has often relied on the same formula in recent years......these tired “classic rock” riffs/songs. I mean, Life Wasted was fine, but I feel like I’ve just heard different variations of that song for the past couple albums, maybe even before.

Back in the day, every song seemed to have its own identity, it’s own unique riff, it’s own seemingly well-thought-out musical piece that was easily recognizable, even without the vocals. They seemed to utilize and intermingle the two guitars more back then, to create a piece of music that vocals could be draped upon, as opposed to just basic “classic rock” guitar patterns that seem to serve no purpose other than to accompany the basic classic rock vocal. Life Wasted, The Fixer, Gonna See My Friend, Getaway, Lightning Bolt, etc. These songs, or types of songs, would’ve had no business being on the first 5 albums. They probably would’ve never even seen the light of day.

I’m very grateful that the band decided to switch it up and take a different approach to what they’ve done recently. DOTC is definitely a change of pace for the band, but I really hope they continue it for the rest of the record. PJ is definitely in need of a refocused energy

• Options
    tbergs said:
    AVG75 said:

Well, they sell out every show so i would say yes...
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,904
    tbergs said:
    AVG75 said:

Maybe 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    I am curious how they are going to do this live. Bring out some keys just for jeff, let Boom do it. Jeff on keys seems like my first guess, but if this is his only song on them seems like a lot of production for 1 song when they already have someone else on tour who could do it
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,970
    Why would this be the only new song with Jeff on the keys?
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    Spags said:
    Why would this be the only new song with Jeff on the keys?
    I dont know. Havent heard anything else. No idea if it is or isn't. But does he play keys live on any song yet?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,606
    I think we all want to like Pearl Jam and have given the song a chance.  I played it for someone at work who is not a fan and they laughed when Ed started singing.   It sounds forced.   I like it because I gave it a chance, but am curious how the non-fans will take it.  I'll probably have a bunch of coworkers listen and see what they say.