Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,044
    edited January 2020
    I have no issue with people vocalizing their distaste for a song, but just remember, this was created by someone. that someone may read this. try to be respectful. I had no problem with people saying they didn't like my music, but it was also HOW they said it that probably helped in not bothering me. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MervBatMervBat Posts: 4
    edited January 2020
    BK221359 said:
    I simply appreciate  that it is nothing I have ever heard before from them or anyone really...we will see where it goes album wise...is it representative of the entire Gigaton or not?  We wait and see...with great anticipation, which is much more positive than any other musical act that exists today...thank you PJ 
    Agree. “Who you are” was no representation of No Code,” But they  came put of their comfortzone which is good. Art should progress.
    I disagree about Who You Are. I think that song was a perfect representation of the No Code album. That single caught me off guard too, when it came out, but it is SO much a part of the sound and “feel” of that album. Honestly, Who You Are into In My Tree is the sound I think of when I think of No Code. Who You Are was a great transition for PJ fans to enter a new “era” of the band’s music. It may have alienated many of the surface fans, but solidified the fandom for probably most of the people here. 

For the 3 albums prior, it was easy to say why you liked them. All three were packed with great (radio-friendly) songs. No Code really has no typical radio single. No song stands out more than the album does itself, as a whole.
    And for whatever reason....this album doesn’t need singles. It doesn’t need a hit. No Code, as a whole, just resonates. The sound and feeling from this album was/IS definitely tangible to fans, but never was to critics or radio stations. Who You Are deserves just as much credit for creating that feeling as any song off the album. It was the first thing we heard after Vitalogy, and I’ll never forget how odd it seemed at first, but ultimately became
    a part of my favorite album of all time.

Post edited by MervBat on
  • Options

So wow.....

My initial listen made me think... This is not good.. where is the wall of guitars i want. I initially thought "The Fixer".. After another few listens.. I thought, "yup this is a Matt C. song aka "The Fixer". I love the synth lines... love the guitars and love Ed, lyrics... melody and delivery. I was thinking Bowie as well. I am not the guy that wants dance beats in his music... But really like the song.. Surprisingly so..

I am actively surprised and relieved that I like it. I would much rather this.. this route.. this path, this honesty than the alternative (which is what I think Tool did.. It appears to me that Tool labored over Fear Inoculum and its stiff and boring with no surprises or spontaneity and it makes me disappointed and mad quite frankly).

Pearl Jam slays. I mean they put THAT out as the first single!?!?!? and its completely infectious with an awesome, awesome bass line. Its sounds nothing like them and exactly like them at the same time. Ying and Yang. fckn perfect.

Then add to that the description by Stone. I'm having so much fun. Thanks guys.

The drum sound is not my cup of tea.. and right now I’m wondering about its longevity.. Fresh and exciting it is… but will it feel this good 5 years from now… and maybe 5 years from now I really like Fear Inoculum… Anyhow.. I’m stoked about a new album… and somehow proud that I like this song.

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    Idlewild said:
    Love the song. Has a great Groove. First time I heard it, it sounded interesting but after 5 listens it clicks. Very impressed. Had no idea Stone is on bass and not Jeff.

"I know the girls wanna dance
    Fall away their circumstance
    I know the boys wanna grow
    Their dicks, and fix and file things"

Great lyrics 
    Pretty sure it's FIRE things, not file things

I thought it was finer things.
    I thought it was "fire things" too but all the lyric sites seem to disagree with me
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    I didn't know that there were Even Bros on the forum. Going to be a lot of piss breaks and beer runs for some on here. Can't wait for the stories of the new and improved Boston puker. Buckle up!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    moleculemolecule Posts: 611
    If they play it live there’s a great chance Stone keeps the bass on and Smile comes next...
    Yesssss
    🤙
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    People asked for the band to get weird, haha! Here's to hoping the entire record follows suit! PS - Vs is still my favorite LP by any band, of all time. Love that 93-95 era always. Super excited for change, how lucky are we?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Any new single that isn’t “The Fixer”, will always be great, by comparison. That said, after about 13 listens, I have to say......this song is pretty awesome! Definitely a grower, not a show-er
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    OLE has been dethroned 
    Lol.  You are is still the winner. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,941
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.

Based on what they've said, the whole album is a departure.

I'm very hesitant to work very much to fight to get MSG tix. So good news for the fanbase.
    You'e going to skip a live show because of one song? LOL
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Idlewild said:
    Love the song. Has a great Groove. First time I heard it, it sounded interesting but after 5 listens it clicks. Very impressed. Had no idea Stone is on bass and not Jeff.

"I know the girls wanna dance
    Fall away their circumstance
    I know the boys wanna grow
    Their dicks, and fix and file things"

Great lyrics 
    Pretty sure it's FIRE things, not file things

I thought it was finer things.
    I thought it was "fire things" too but all the lyric sites seem to disagree with me
    Or maybe "vile things"?
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 675
    MervBat said:
    Any new single that isn’t “The Fixer”, will always be great, by comparison. That said, after about 13 listens, I have to say......this song is pretty awesome! Definitely a grower, not a show-er
    I think you may be on to something. 
  • Options
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.

I'm very hesitant to work very much to fight to get MSG tix. So good news for the fanbase.
    pretty sure they're exaggerating. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:

The only lyric I still don't know how to feel about is the "boys wanna grow their dicks and fix and fire things". I think Ed's delivery makes it work though. As for that last lyric, I've heard people say file instead of fire. Upon first listen I thought it was fire. Made more sense with the implication that men in power are all about how big their dick is, what they can fix and shooting things. File things doesn't fit.Do we know for sure if it's file or fire?

My first thought was the same - that this line is about men in power.. after listening a couple of times to it, I came to the thought that it might be about the young generation in general - girls that wanna dance away their circumstances ( = fighting for their rights) and boys growing up and want to fix and file things that were going in the wrong way ( = becoming men that are different from a lot of men that are in power now). 

just a thought..

... se key on. ;-)

Pearl Jam Sept. 23, 2006 Berlin | June 20, 2010 Berlin | July 04 & 05, 2012 Berlin | June 26, 2014 Berlin | June 12 & 13, 2018 Amsterdam | July 05, 2018 Berlin
    EV June 01, 2017 Berlin | June 28, 2019 Berlin | June 30, 2019 Düsseldorf
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:

Hesitant lol.

They did say the album was a departure or experimental? So I'm expecting it's more than just DotC?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    I’ve been on this train since 91 

this track only makes me happy. 

Its light, poppy, crisp, snappy, you wanna move, the opening bass groove could go on forever in my head. 

🎵expecting perfection leaves a lot to ignore🎵

I was hearing "expecting perfection leaves a lot to endure" .  From what I've been reading it seems it's ignore.  Still like endure better.  Vedder - hit me up the next time you are writing.  I can add a word change here or there.
    now I can’t unhear ENDURE 🤣
    Glad I could help make it a better lyric for you ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Fire things for sure. And endure on one verse.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    mcgruff10 said:
    OLE has been dethroned 
    So do you like this one? Curious ;)
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,013
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:

Lol 
    Yep, the live shows are ruined now that they're going to play...... 3 songs (?) from the new album on top of the other 20something classic songs.
    Fuckin insane. This dude spends every minute on this forum , arguing with people , paragraphs at a time. Posting definitions ,  now doesn’t want to try fir an msg ticket because of the new single. Maybe should have saved time complaining about how low east coast odds would be and saying they shouldn’t have toured other places where odds were 99% until he heard the single. 
    Agree. Tiresome negativity constantly. Ignore feature now employed.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,013
    I just put on better headphones that play louder and more bass. Sounds awesome. I can't wait for the album. Well done Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    ed's next solo tour:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OLE has been dethroned 
    So do you like this one? Curious ;)
    I know the  answer... its a massive no from mike.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,449
    edited January 2020

There is a cultural bizarreness where women are allowed to use the d word and men cannot use the c word in America, but not in other English speaking countries. Me too taking over the world. 

You don't know what you are talking about. Classic being against" me too taking over the world" ignorance.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OLE has been dethroned 
    In the "cool endings to Pearl Jam" songs category?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    edited January 2020
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Similar to most of their releases I need to listen to it a few more times which tells me I will end up loving it.   I am extremely interested in hearing the rest of the album now for sure.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    OLE has been dethroned 
    In the "cool endings to Pearl Jam" songs category?
    Ah so you like that minute long end of the song? It's the part I actually am not in love with.  And it comes as a total surprise to me that we would have differing opinions on it since we seem to agree about everything else!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    I have no issue with people vocalizing their distaste for a song, but just remember, this was created by someone. that someone may read this. try to be respectful. I had no problem with people saying they didn't like my music, but it was also HOW they said it that probably helped in not bothering me. 

That's an excellent point (and I do forget that about your experience!)

The challenge here is it its not evolution, it's a bold departure. As artists that is their right.

I've lived thru Gabriel going pop, Rush and many others  going 80s synth and Radiohead going electronica. 

The challenge for PJ is Ten spoke for an entire generation of fans, who were sick of the 80s synth, pop, new wave and hair bands.

Alive hit the radio in the fall of 1991 and it was bold and breathtaking IMO because it got rock back to where it belonged. PJ did that.

Now it seems like they're waving a white flag to all the unattractive music that apple sends to my new music playlist every week 
  • Options
    Gets. plural. not possessive.  =)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I love the ending best. Last 2 mins best for me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07