Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,321
    I cant get over how out there this is for these guys and I fucking love it. Just wow. Over time it wont be a top 20 PJ song or anything but it's fun and I hope the whole album is this exciting. I can live without another cdm or mym. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    Is The Fixer really weird though?
  • Options
    OLE has been dethroned 
    In the "cool endings to Pearl Jam" songs category?
    Ah so you like that minute long end of the song? It's the part I actually am not in love with.  And it comes as a total surprise to me that we would have differing opinions on it since we seem to agree about everything else!
    I think it ends stronger than it starts. That synth that Jeff throws on in the beginning feels a bit out of place and "cheap". But what do I know. I can't sing in tune to save my life. 

But I am very curious to hear the edited down radio version (because this can't be it with it clocking in on over 4 minutes?). If it being tighter will make it work even better. Maybe.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,028
    I can see why CDM was scrapped from inclusion on this record (if this song is indicative of the album sound). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,419
    edited January 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    No. It's really cringey.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mfcbmwmfcbmw baltimore Posts: 41
    So a band that has a massive range of musical influences, looking to be true artists for themselves(not us), took 7 years to make a new record, endured a ton of REAL LIFE shit, got inducted into the hall of fame(which comes with its own mind fuck), lost CC, and then puts out a new song which might actually reflect ALL OF THAT, well then hell, I think they may have accomplished something.  We might not all like the song, but how can anyone deny that the band feels reinvigorated?  Isn't that what we want?  Not victory lap tour after victory lap tour.  C'mon man.  We know a nostalgia band is for failed artists. And DotC also speaks to what the band has always said.  Make the song for the record and then LIVE it can become something more!  One step at a time.  One. Step. At. A. Time.
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 161
    AlaG said:
    TN49724 said:
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
    This song is going to get absolutely destroyed by critics and casual fans. Almost guaranteed. Just because its so different for this band and they're kind of on the outs with the aforementioned crowds anyways. Saying this as someone who likes the song.
    When U2 did Achtung Baby it was a radical departure but was universally accepted because the songs were strong.

Ditto Nirvana unplugged.

PJ could easily release a synth pop album if the songs are killer. This is filler.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,152
    I can see why CDM was scrapped from inclusion on this record (if this song is indicative of the album sound). 
    I would have also loved an angry CDM record.  If they did scrap things, maybe they can send them to me since I seem like one of the only ones that liked it. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,028
    I would have also loved an angry CDM record.  If they did scrap things, maybe they can send them to me since I seem like one of the only ones that liked it. ;)
    I dig CDM. the chorus is a bit weak, but I appreciated the passion. I thought that's where this record was likely going to go. But I suppose not. anything can happen when you have 2 years between single releases. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    I just put on better headphones that play louder and more bass. Sounds awesome. I can't wait for the album. Well done Pearl Jam!
    Yes! Beats Studio3's were killer this morning. I had to turn it down because the bass was so badass.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    Shocked folks are saying this song takes too long to end. I feel like it ends much stronger than it starts. Doesn't really "hook" me til the 3 or 4 minute mark.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    I'm more convinced than ever that when many people say they want Pearl Jam to be experimental, these people really mean they just want Pearl Jam to remake No Code. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    thebends9thebends9 Posts: 514
    edited January 2020
    Its fun sitting back watching Pearl Jam fans dealing with this band's OK Computer ----> Kid A moment (based off of this single). And bravo to the band for stretching out and trying something like this after almost 30 years.
    Post edited by thebends9 on
    '98 - MSG 
    '00 - Jones Beach (x2)
    '03 - Nassau Coliseum/Tweeter Center/ MSG (x2)
    '04 - Reading, PA
    '05 - Wachovia Center
    '06 - Irving Plaza; Continental Airlines Arena (x2)
    '08 - MSG (x2); Beacon Theater
    '09 - Philly Spectrum (x2)
    '10 - XL Center; Prudential Center; MSG (x2)
    '11 - Alpine Valley (x2)
    '12 - Made In America
    '13 - Wrigley Field; DCU Center; Barclay Center (x2); Wells Fargo Center; XL Center
    '15 - Ed Sullivan Theater
    '16 - MSG (x2)
    '17 - Barclay Center (R&RHOF)
    '18 - Fenway Park
    '22 - MSG
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696

Love the whole song. Casio keyboard and all...
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Gets. plural. not possessive.  =)
    high school GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Yes. In that it’s the shittiest first single the band has ever released. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    New performance video coming soon with scantily clad, choreographed dance troupe in the background. 

• Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 161

Love the whole song. Casio keyboard and all...
    These Ross gifs are bang on the money 😂😂😂
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,806
    thebends9 said:
    Its fun sitting back watching Pearl Jam fans dealing with this band's OK Computer ----> Kid A moment (based off of this single). And bravo to the band for stretching out and trying something like this after almost 30 years.
    That's a little unfair.  Radiohead is sui generis, and Pearl Jam has tried to stretch its boundaries going back as far as "W.M.A.," to the loopy songs that litter "Vitalogy," to "Who You Are" and "In My Tree" and so on.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    3 listens.
    I like it. Music bridge between different genres? Feels much deeper with a lot more substance compared to some of the other incredible artists mentioned. Way to early to know, but thankful and happy. ✌👏👍
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,322
    Listened for the second time and it sounds much better. Bass line reminds me of Breeders-Cannonball
    This song will definitely grow on me. I like the band taking chances and not just mailing it in. Hoping the entire album is a sort that flows from one song to the next.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    We hit peak new wave at the "Positive. Positive, Positive!" part.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    BF25394 said:
    thebends9 said:
    That's a little unfair.  Radiohead is sui generis, and Pearl Jam has tried to stretch its boundaries going back as far as "W.M.A.," to the loopy songs that litter "Vitalogy," to "Who You Are" and "In My Tree" and so on.
    Exactly. I remember when No Code came out my freshman year of college and some kid in my history class told me Pearl Jam "sucks now" when he saw that I had my "Freak" t-shirt from 94' on. I also remember our high school 'newspaper' did a piece on Vitalogy calling it "not Pearl Jam".
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,509
    I actually like it.  Really different from Lightning Bolt which is a good thing!  Can't wait to hear more.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    WOW, I really like this new fresh style, its nice to see they did something different than they usually do! Also, both my wife and kids asked who is that? I really like it! So not only does it give the current fans something, but it opens the door for the new generation of fans. I can also see this single played on many different types of radio stations, let's see where this goes my PJ friends.

If you think about it; legend bands like the Beatles and Pink Floyd put out albums that experimented with new stuff all the time. Break the mold man! On Pearl Jam radio Stone talks about how the song was born and how each member eased into it, really interesting and fun to hear. Thank you Pearl Jam! New music is just what we needed.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    I am digging it.  way different but i'd rather have this, at this time, than a regular formula rocker like most of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt. Not sure how it will translate live but it's weird and strange and i can groove to it.

and the beginning beat reminds me of the song 'cannonball' from like the early to mid 90s maybe?
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,833
    edited January 2020
    The best way I can put it is, whenever I hear a new song from an artist, even a band I may not be into, like Coldplay for example, I hear something where I think “I wish PJ would play something that cool” or “try something that different” (I’m thinking that new Arabesque?song). Something different. Especially when I hear bands I do like always pushing their sound: Beck, MMJ, Radiohead, Arcade Fire. With PJ last two albums, and especially the song Lightening Bolt, we got dad rock. I feared we’d get safe Springsteen (sorry don’t mean to slight the man, I do enjoy some of his music) for the rest of their career. Whether you like the song or not this is bold, different, exciting. And, it still makes sense when thinking of their influences. We’ve got a ton of The Who, nice to hear the Talking Heads/Bowie influence 
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,505
    I can’t understand how people would not live this song. 
  • Options
    KralkatlKralkatl Raleigh, NC Posts: 18
    I love it. I'm glad it's "different". Sure, it sounds to me like some other bands, but still sounds like PJ to me. It makes me excited for the rest of the album!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,968
    edited January 2020
    I'm loving this just on one listen and I'm sure I will enjoy even more during further listens. The song and the recording are solid. Talking Heads influence is obvious and appreciated. I hope the whole album veers this way, which will undoubtedly tick some people off, which is a good thing.
    Post edited by lexicondevil on
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA