Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to being one of the first to hear it live in Toronto!!!
  • Options
    JV275432JV275432 Posts: 137
    First listen. A little U2/Achtung Baby meets a little bit of Muse. Or is it just me.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,180
    JV275432 said:
    First listen. A little U2/Achtung Baby meets a little bit of Muse. Or is it just me.
    I could see it. 

Where did they say Stone is playing bass?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    TN49724 said:
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
    This song is going to get absolutely destroyed by critics and casual fans. Almost guaranteed. Just because its so different for this band and they're kind of on the outs with the aforementioned crowds anyways. Saying this as someone who likes the song.
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 349
    It's not so good, Al.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,420
    Need a few more listens before passing judgement. Also would like to hear the rest of the album to see how it fits in the overall context.

its different from past material. I’m always ok with different and being surprised.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    JT167846 said:
    The first time hearing the intro I was half expecting Jemaine Clement to start singing about too many dicks or the humans are dead or whatever.

It's new wavy and we all know Ed is massively influenced by Split Enz but it's still so new wavy that on first listen it throws you off that that voice (Ed's) is singing on a song like that. The synthy background tones also remind me of The Getaway album by the Chilis. Love Mike's guitar on it.

Only two listens so far, I don't know if I like it but I'm pretty sure I don't dislike it. Admire their balls putting out such a different song-which reminds me of Who You Are in the No Code era, having said that we already know it's just not the same band as the guys from the early 90s.

It's evolution, baby.

Sorry, to me it sounds like it is not:

/ˌevəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/

Learno pronounce
    noun

the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form.

• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,180
    AlaG said:
    TN49724 said:
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
    This song is going to get absolutely destroyed by critics and casual fans. Almost guaranteed. Just because its so different for this band and they're kind of on the outs with the aforementioned crowds anyways. Saying this as someone who likes the song.
    Luckily that doesn't really matter at all. The radio stations are still never gonna play anything post-Vitalogy. I'm looking forward to some experimental stuff.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    JV275432 said:
    I could see it. 

pearljam.com

• Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    JV275432 said:
    I could see it. 

Jeff Ament had this to say about the single:

"I can’t tell you how proud I am about this group of songs. As you know, we took our time and that benefited us taking more chances. 'Dance' was a perfect storm of experimentation and real collaboration, mixing up the instrumentation and building a great song, and Ed writing some of my favorite words yet, around Matt’s killer drum pattern. Did I mention Mike’s insane guitar part and that Stone is playing bass on this one? We’ve opened some new doors creatively and that’s exciting."

Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    Right off the back, I thought David Byrne/Talking Heads

It’s catchy... I’d like for it to stay in my head for a long time.
    Came in here to say this. First thought the second I heard Eddie's voice kick in. A departure, for sure.
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    God that is dire - MOR elevator muzak.

If  rest of the album is in this vein then it will be getting used as a coffee mug coaster.
    If the rest of the album is in this vein then please feel free to send me your copy so instead of being used as a coaster, the amazing jams in it will be cherished and enjoyed ;)

Sorry - but sometimes the emperor is just naked.
    Well in that case, maybe the emperor is naked because he is busy showing off his abs in 2020 by dancing with the clairvoyants 

Pearl Jam ringing in the New Year in a big and strong way, this is the most stoked I have been for a new PJ album in a long while, I am loving this single so far
    I can see why tickets went on sale before this was released ..

I've shared that thought about a zillion times this morning 
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 349
    At least it’s  better than “can’t deny me”. See - I can say nice things, mom.
  • Options
    Everyone entitled to their opinion but the people complaining I think are still expecting Ten-Vitalogy Pearl Jam or were the same people who complained the Lightning Bolt was too by the numbers with no effort. For the former, the band is 30 years in, they aren't and SHOULDN'T still have the same sound as the early 90s, and for the latter, you're probably never gonna be pleased with new music. 

I love it. I am beyond excited that they are on studio album 11 and putting out something so different. Easily the most experimental they have gotten since Binaural and probably the biggest twist in direction since they put out No Code. The bass in this is so goood, Matt's drums really complete the sound, and I love the Eddie Vedder in this song. I feel like this is Eddie recognizing where his vocals are at this point in his career and instead of trying to sound like his old self he's adjusting the way he sings to what he can pull off now and it sounds beautiful. Such amazing lyrics too.

More of this please PJ!!!!
  • Options
    ComatosedComatosed Sydney, Australia Posts: 93
    I'm still a little confused. I think I like it. 
    Pearl Jam                                                         Eddie Vedder  
    Sydney - 11/3/1995                                           Sydney - 18/3/2011  
     Sydney - 9/3/1998                                            Sydney - 19/3/2011
     Sydney - 11/3/1998                                          Sydney - 13/2/2014
     Sydney - 12/3/1998
     Sydney - 11/2/2003
     Sydney - 13/2/2003
     Sydney - 14/2/2003
     Sydney - 7/11/2006
     Sydney - 8/11/2006
     Sydney - 18/11/2006
     Sydney - 22/11/2009
     Sydney - 26/1/2014

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    The comparison that makes the most sense to me so far is Eminence Front. Band late in their career, trying to latch onto current trends and commercial relevance. 

Please dont put this in the same light as Eminence Front, which has one of the greatest intro solos in music history

That just sounds like a put on.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    Lerxst1992 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    God that is dire - MOR elevator muzak.

If  rest of the album is in this vein then it will be getting used as a coffee mug coaster.
    If the rest of the album is in this vein then please feel free to send me your copy so instead of being used as a coaster, the amazing jams in it will be cherished and enjoyed ;)

Sorry - but sometimes the emperor is just naked.
    Well in that case, maybe the emperor is naked because he is busy showing off his abs in 2020 by dancing with the clairvoyants 

Pearl Jam ringing in the New Year in a big and strong way, this is the most stoked I have been for a new PJ album in a long while, I am loving this single so far
    I can see why tickets went on sale before this was released ..

I've shared that thought about a zillion times this morning 
    That's about the stupidest statement to make. What does this one song have to do with ticket sales? Half of the fans on this forum don't want to hear anything post Yield anyway when they go to a concert. They'll play 27 other songs besides this one. You don't have to like it, but making asinine comments isn't necessary either.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    Getting a mid 80s Who vibe.
    The track caught me off guard, as its so different. But I'm giving multiple listens.

98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    So many thoughts.
    First Listen - ummm...this is different.  Like the groove, like the 1 guitar part...love Vedder's voice.  Feeling uneasy but that's ok, sometimes the best songs take time to digest.

After probably 8 listens - this is different.  The lyrics are mostly amazing, love Vedder's voice, still love the groove and the 1 guitar part.  Overall I really like it.  Reminded my daughter a bit of Cage and me a bit of Muse.  I do not want a full album of this, but I like the song on it's own.  I personally would have stopped the song about the 3:18 mark as the end kinda drags on a bit for me.  But that's a small thing.  Less talk of boys growing their dicks would be terrific.  Just can't wait to hear my daughter singing that part once she learns it.  Thanks Ed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjs said:
    How is everyone creaming their pants over this Flock of Seagulls shit?
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

This is the lovely thing about music. It evolves, you evolve, the times evolve, and some will like it and others won't, and it never matters.

Can we agree to stop using "evolution"  with DotC?

Evolution is gradual. This is not.
  • Options
    I’ve been on this train since 91 

this track only makes me happy. 

Its light, poppy, crisp, snappy, you wanna move, the opening bass groove could go on forever in my head. 

🎵expecting perfection leaves a lot to ignore🎵

• Options
    After about twenty listens (I have a long drive today), I really like it. I’d chop about 30 seconds off the end. Gets repetitive. But it’s so drastically different than everything else they’ve done and I love that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    It seems, at least for some, that this is not for you ;)

I'm guessing those not so thrilled are either not TH or Bowie fans, or don't like their jam mixed with stardust and heads.

I love Bowie, TH and Radiohead is one of my absolute favorites.

In all those cases, the vocal fits perfect with the style. IMO the grizzly baritone we've come to love simply does not.

The guitar work at the beginning of DotC is very good. Other than that, the tune seems forced, the chorus is one  of the worst lyrics I have ever read and the last minute is total filler.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    benjs said:
    It has shades of You Are and Bushleaguer that I like, but that fucking synthesizer fucking ruins it.

This is the lovely thing about music. It evolves, you evolve, the times evolve, and some will like it and others won't, and it never matters.

It’s been 7 years since their last album so if there’s been an evolution, it’s safe to say it’s been gradual.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    benjs said:

It’s been 7 years since their last album so if there’s been an evolution, it’s safe to say it’s been gradual.
    I was just going to write the same thing.  It may not seem gradual to those listening to just the released music.  But it may have been gradual over the 7 years.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ajflicker said:
    rwrusso said:
    I'm really not liking this sound.  I get what they are going for, but for me, this is one of the few styles of music I truly detest.  This belongs in the 80's prog rock discount bin.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of the overall record.  Maybe they can salvage this one with an extended jam or something live.
    I didn't care for it either. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I think this will be the type of album where you either love it or you hate it.

Based on what they've said, the whole album is a departure.

I'm very hesitant to work very much to fight to get MSG tix. So good news for the fanbase.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,013
    Idlewild said:
    Love the song. Has a great Groove. First time I heard it, it sounded interesting but after 5 listens it clicks. Very impressed. Had no idea Stone is on bass and not Jeff.

"I know the girls wanna dance
    Fall away their circumstance
    I know the boys wanna grow
    Their dicks, and fix and file things"

Great lyrics 
    Pretty sure it's FIRE things, not file things
  • Options
    I'm very thankful for some new PJ.  No idea where this album is going and how much staying power it will have, but it's great to have right now.  Can't wait for the rest.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Love it. 

If they would of came out with another LB or Backspacer they would officially be an old classic rock band. This shows they still have much to give and aren't just mailing it in.
  • Options
    symptomsfadesymptomsfade Posts: 237
    edited January 2020
    Anyone have a feel of what song would be a good follow to this live?  

Post edited by symptomsfade on