Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    It's quite good if you're into that kind of music. I'm really struggling with it. People are mentioning Talking Heads and Bowie. That's exactly what I will say when talking to friends as well even if I deep down unfortunately think some of it sounds like Madonna. Overproduced pop/rock albums comes in numbers these days so I'm not particularly happy about my favorite band joining the masses a decade or two after it started. In my opinion the last two albums were not great in Pearl Jams standards and Avocado was really good but a mile away from the first seven. So I guess some form of change was bound to happen. But for me, this is pushing it a little bit too far. I'm assuming the rest of the songs will have the same sound, would be really strange if this dance music would sit next to rock songs on the album. Anyway, it's just music and worst case scenario I'll just have to find another hobby. But hopefully I'll get over these initial feelings.
    Dude it’s one song on one album. Even if the rest of the album is indeed like this, that doesn’t erase their other music. 
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    I did not read through this entire thread, so sorry if this was discussed. Will Boom play the synthesizer parts at a show?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    The fact that Eddie’s singing can still give me chills 28 yrs later is pretty damn cool.  

“Stand back when the spirit comes..”.  Thats incredible
  • Options
    Exceptional evolution in sound. Sounds so clean.  It's fantastic. So many elements of music on this one.  I hope the album follow suit. 
  • Options
    I did not read through this entire thread, so sorry if this was discussed. Will Boom play the synthesizer parts at a show?
    No, he'll just be dancing like Buffalo Bill at the side of the stage during this song.
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    thank u Josh Evans so this time we can listen jeff bass 
    Stone plays bass on this ✌🏼
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    I dig it....but, no hook/lead/face-melting lead??
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,500
    It's interesting.  Different for sure.  Missing some guitar crunch. Like all new PJ it will take time for me to digest it.
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 310
    I think the guitar part sounds the The Kills. I know Mike likes them, feel like there is a clear influence there. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    No, he'll just be dancing like Buffalo Bill at the side of the stage during this song.
    Haha! Hopefully Ed isn't in a pit in need of lotion...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I think this song will be fantastic live. Seems like a great tune for the whole band to really get in to. A serious song, but upbeat. I can just picture Ed doing his thing and leaning back as the song grooves.
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    Gibson said:
    It's Pearl Jam..
    ...but it's not...
    ...but it is...

and I dig it.
    This sums up exactly what I got from this. Cannot wait to hear the whole album...boys are super excited. Excited about sharing their new journey with us. I’m more than happy with that. When the band gets bored we won’t have PJ anymore, so just enjoy this ride!
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    halshakarchihalshakarchi Toronto Posts: 176
    Definitely needs to be listened to on halfway decent headphones or speakers otherwise the drums and hit hat sound too tinny and prounounced
  • Options
    moleculemolecule Posts: 611
    Loving the evolution of their sound. Great start to the new album. Ed aggressive with the lyrics early on, the guitar and drum patterns, that ending! Very cool Stone played bass on this one.
    🤙
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    thank u Josh Evans so this time we can listen jeff bass 
    Stone plays bass on this ✌🏼
    I'm happy that we can hear the bass!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    If they play it live there’s a great chance Stone keeps the bass on and Smile comes next...
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,445
    If they play it live there’s a great chance Stone keeps the bass on and Smile comes next...
    oooh yes please
  • Options
    One interesting note. You can see track list on Apple Music. 3 songs with E next to it for explicit lyrics. Super blood, quick escape, 7 o’clock. Looks like some angry Ed coming !!
  • Options
    I like the way you think!
  • Options
    Excellent song after 5 listens. Love how people will complain about no new music in 7+ years and now we get something the band wanted to do plus enjoys ... and here come the complaints. I'm not one to always get behind everything thing they (for the record) .. However, the fact they are putting out NEW music and touring is great. Sorry to those who wanted it to sound like the hits but come on! 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Next song they played, Yellowledbetter. 

Yikes.
  • Options

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 918
    Not if, when!! Since when has a band nor played their lead single on an album tour!!
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    Love the song. Has a great Groove. First time I heard it, it sounded interesting but after 5 listens it clicks. Very impressed. Had no idea Stone is on bass and not Jeff.

"I know the girls wanna dance
    Fall away their circumstance
    I know the boys wanna grow
    Their dicks, and fix and file things"

Great lyrics 
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,148
    It's different but I like it.  I absolutely didn't like the Fixer/Got Some/Just Breathe/Lightning Bolt when I first heard them so I'm excited to hear the rest.

I can say that I am more excited about DOTC than I was about Mind your Manners when it was teased/released
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,148
    TN49724 said:
    WEBN in Cincinnati premiered the song this morning - stopped the song about 30 seconds in and finished it off w a mix of Cannonball and Talking Heads. 

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    TN49724 said:

Yikes.
    I did get a Cannonball vibe as well when I first heard it.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Definitely needs to be listened to on halfway decent headphones or speakers otherwise the drums and hit hat sound too tinny and prounounced
    Dang, it usually takes longer for this justification to show up.
  • Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    TN49724 said:

Yikes.
    that's what they call a sick burn
    First time I'd ever heard a city's major rock radio station stop a premiere song 30 seconds in (while talking through the first part ripping it up).  Take a phone call from a listener destroying the song.  Then play Yellowledbetter right after. 

That's brutal - especially in drive time after all this PR work the PJ team did.  That's rough.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    edited January 2020
    Surprisingly it is everything I feared but I love it.  This is not old music.  This is the current industry. Dance.  Everyone shifting to get younger people to listen.  I don’t think this will grab the young people but love that it is different for Pearl Jam.

Beck, Killers, QOTSA, Weezer, etc....