Options

Americans and Canadians

Comments

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    mickeyrat said:
    yes canada gave us Uncle Neil, Rush, Triumph, even Alanis and Avril (I guess)

however , the unforgiveable is they also forced Nickelback and Justin Beiber on us. So, really, they should be wiped off the face of the earth......

Creed= Nickelback

Backstreet Boys, N Sync, New Kid> Beiber

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    The only things I know about Canada I learned from watching Degrassi. Good show.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No Coder said:
    mickeyrat said:

however , the unforgiveable is they also forced Nickelback and Justin Beiber on us. So, really, they should be wiped off the face of the earth......
    Shall I list some of the shit music the US has given the world???  :):)
    feel free. still wont equate......
    The Captain and Tennille. 
    really? the were big in canada and forced on you?
    Yes 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I hated buying gas in Canada.  Two conversions at once. I have a degree in math and I can't do that shit in my head.
    Why did you need to do the conversion? Just buy the gas. It’s not like you can get by without it. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I hated buying gas in Canada.  Two conversions at once. I have a degree in math and I can't do that shit in my head.
    Why did you need to do the conversion? Just buy the gas. It’s not like you can get by without it. 
    I like knowing how much money I'm spending. Especially when I was 25 and on a budget.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,844
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No Coder said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yes 
    well, if its any consolation at all, love didnt keep them together.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No Coder said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yes 
    well, if its any consolation at all, love didnt keep them together.....
    As long as no muskrats were harmed, I’m okay with that. 

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,991
    Do moose roam free like into the road in Canada. We get deer some places just wondering abooot. See what i did there....u.s.a vs Canada banter. Haha. Im learning
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    Do moose roam free like into the road in Canada. We get deer some places just wondering abooot. See what i did there....u.s.a vs Canada banter. Haha. Im learning
    Yes they do.  There are, on average, two human fatalities per year due to collisions with moose.  
    These stats are from 2003.  I imagine the fatality rate has gone up since then.  Serious injuries are common with moose collisions, as most vehicles undercut the moose legs so the body tends to come crashing into the cab of the vehicle crushing the occupant(s).  The son of our landlord when we lived in New Brunswick was killed in a collision with a moose.
    https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/tp-tp14798-1289.htm
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,741
    Yes moose roam free and will wander onto roads sometimes. So do bears, deer, elk, mountain sheep, lynx, etc.

The "aboot" thing is not funny or cute, it's annoying. Maybe 1% of Canadians may say it that way. I just take it as a sign you might be an idiot if you say it to me. 

As for Bieber and Nickleback, they may have originated in Canada(we're sorry) but we didn't force them on the US. The US glamourized them and taught their masses to love them. You are just as responsible. And you gave the world the Kardashians, so glass houses people.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    I’ll add, they are incredibly awesome to see “up close” and very, very fast.

Baby moose facts:
    https://www.all-about-moose.com/baby-moose.html
    sadly, the majority of calves do not survive their first year :(

more moose facts:
    http://www.cutemoose.net/moose_facts.htm

if you are able to access this episode of The Naturr of Thing, Moose:  A Year in the Life of a Twig Eater, I highly recommend it.  It’s beautiful, elucidating and devastating.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/m/episodes/moose-a-year-in-the-life-of-a-twig-eater

It may be found in your region on: CBC The Nature of Things, PBS Nature and the BBC’s Natural World.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    I will check that out. Moose look majestic creatures. Plus they must weigh tonnes . The thought of it crashing on a car is horrible. I would love to experience the wildlife in Canada.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Yes moose roam free and will wander onto roads sometimes. So do bears, deer, elk, mountain sheep, lynx, etc.

The "aboot" thing is not funny or cute, it's annoying. Maybe 1% of Canadians may say it that way. I just take it as a sign you might be an idiot if you say it to me. 

As for Bieber and Nickleback, they may have originated in Canada(we're sorry) but we didn't force them on the US. The US glamourized them and taught their masses to love them. You are just as responsible. And you gave the world the Kardashians, so glass houses people.
    No offence meant. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Questions for my Canadian friends:
    Molson or labatt?
    What is the province that no Canadian wants to visit unless you have relatives living there?
    What Canadian city is most like Las Vegas?
    Have you ever stayed in an ice hotel?

Yuck, neither. But with a gun to my head, Labatt?
    Saskatchewan (Manitoba works too)
    Niagara Falls
    No... I think there is one in Quebec City though.
    what is wrong with saskatchewan and manitoba?  just flat and boring?

Wanna see something hilarious?

Look at Saskatchewan's borders. There's not a squarer defined geographical area on the planet.

I was born there and have lots of family there. Saskatoon is a great city. My vote is Manitoba (sorry Hugh).

Labatts or Molsons? Come on, Scruffy. We have better tastes than that (we drink craft beer as well ya dork). Having said that... Canadians for sure (Molsons).

Vancouver is the best city in our country. I don't live there anymore, but it's awesome (outside of the traffic). Halifax is pretty damn special as well. Ontario people are likely going to start pulling their hair out and demanding I mention Toronto... and Quebec people are going to insist on Montreal or Quebec City... but there not personal favourites of mine (and I say this with limited experience in any of those three).
    my vote would also be Manitoba if I didn't live here. Winnipeg is a dump. Seriously. I take no offense to people dissing where I live as I had no hand in creating it. 

the thing is, the city is not what I'd recommend people visit. we don't have amazing architecture. some of our areas are a time warp back to the 1970's. and our reputation as a hub of murder and aboriginal poverty/violence doesn't serve us well. I'd recommend our vast options of outdoor attractions. the lakes, camping, beaches, even our northern attractions like Churchill, etc, not to mention more hidden gems of culture that we have, and that you'd really only know about if you lived here or visited here often, are what makes manitoba an awesome place. 

Saskatoon is very nice. Went there to see Velvet Revolver in 2005. Very new, clean city. 

labatt or molson? both are bottled urine. 

I love Vancouver, but also Montreal (except for one glaring issue: no back lanes = front street garbage collection-it's fucking disgusting). I haven't been further east than Montreal, but would love to visit the maritimes. 

and the music that has come out of Winnipeg. second only to Kingston in terms of per capita comparisons. amazing music scene. especially in the 90's. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Molson or labatt?
    What is the province that no Canadian wants to visit unless you have relatives living there?

Niagara Falls

Look at Saskatchewan's borders. There's not a squarer defined geographical area on the planet.

I was born there and have lots of family there. Saskatoon is a great city. My vote is Manitoba (sorry Hugh).

Labatts or Molsons? Come on, Scruffy. We have better tastes than that (we drink craft beer as well ya dork). Having said that... Canadians for sure (Molsons).

Vancouver is the best city in our country. I don't live there anymore, but it's awesome (outside of the traffic). Halifax is pretty damn special as well. Ontario people are likely going to start pulling their hair out and demanding I mention Toronto... and Quebec people are going to insist on Montreal or Quebec City... but there not personal favourites of mine (and I say this with limited experience in any of those three).
    my vote would also be Manitoba if I didn't live here. Winnipeg is a dump. Seriously. I take no offense to people dissing where I live as I had no hand in creating it. 

the thing is, the city is not what I'd recommend people visit. we don't have amazing architecture. some of our areas are a time warp back to the 1970's. and our reputation as a hub of murder and aboriginal poverty/violence doesn't serve us well. I'd recommend our vast options of outdoor attractions. the lakes, camping, beaches, even our northern attractions like Churchill, etc, not to mention more hidden gems of culture that we have, and that you'd really only know about if you lived here or visited here often, are what makes manitoba an awesome place. 

Saskatoon is very nice. Went there to see Velvet Revolver in 2005. Very new, clean city. 

I love Vancouver, but also Montreal (except for one glaring issue: no back lanes = front street garbage collection-it's fucking disgusting). I haven't been further east than Montreal, but would love to visit the maritimes. 

That's one of the two things I don't like about New York, too. Every evening, if you're out walking somewhere, you're dodging and dancing around overflowing piles of garbage bags on the sidewalks. That and the noise.

Re: the wildlife, cougars are still sometimes found in and around Victoria, where I live. Generally in the suburbs but a couple of years back there was a well publicized incident of a cougar in the underground parking garage of a downtown hotel. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Molson or labatt?

Niagara Falls

That's one of the two things I don't like about New York, too. Every evening, if you're out walking somewhere, you're dodging and dancing around overflowing piles of garbage bags on the sidewalks. That and the noise.

Re: the wildlife, cougars are still sometimes found in and around Victoria, where I live. Generally in the suburbs but a couple of years back there was a well publicized incident of a cougar in the underground parking garage of a downtown hotel. 
    Cougars, eh? I think I know a fella I should send up that way.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,793
    dankind said:

Cougars, eh? I think I know a fella I should send up that way.
    Confession time: Cougars are my favorite!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Canada is full of eh-holes.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

In ol newfie we have fences on the highway, well certain portions, to keep the meese off the roads.  Man they are good eatin.  

(I know its moose)

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hobbes said:
    :lol:
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,793
    Hobbes said:
    That made me lol...like a Canadian getting upset abooot the use of abooot. :rofl:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I've never NOT heard a Canadian say aboot.  I mean, perhaps it's not that exaggerated, but it definitely sounds different than any other non-Canadian, western English-speaking person I've ever heard say it.  It's more lilke "abeauwt."
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,241
    I've never NOT heard a Canadian say aboot.  I mean, perhaps it's not that exaggerated, but it definitely sounds different than any other non-Canadian, western English-speaking person I've ever heard say it.  It's more lilke "abeauwt."
    Absolutely.  Been traveling to Canada for almost 15 years.  Never NOT heard it.....and it still makes me giggle every, single, time.
  • Options
    while I acknowledge that we have some linguistic difference, we do NOT say ABOOT. If we did, I'd hear a difference in how you folks say it. and I don't. We say "roof", and you guys bark when you say it "ruff". But our abouts are the same. I think you guys are hearing something you want to hear. too much southpark maybe. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Worst part of Canada is somehow we ended with gun loving eh-holes as neighbours...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    No Coder said:
    mickeyrat said:

USA - Jimmy Buffett
    Canada - Celine Dion
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    while I acknowledge that we have some linguistic difference, we do NOT say ABOOT. If we did, I'd hear a difference in how you folks say it. and I don't. We say "roof", and you guys bark when you say it "ruff". But our abouts are the same. I think you guys are hearing something you want to hear. too much southpark maybe. 
    Like I said, "aboot" is a bit exaggerated, most likely due to the likes of South Park.  It's not like putting a boot on your foot. But there IS a difference and I've heard EVERY Canadian ever say it.  It's not an "ow" sound like ouch or owl. It's almost like a french -eaux but with a very minor tweak.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I say roof, not ruff. I think that's a regional thing. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Worst part of Canada is somehow we ended with gun loving eh-holes as neighbours...
    That's gun-loving, woman-hating, racist, greedy, obese, freedom providing eh-holes to you... :wink:
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I say roof, not ruff. I think that's a regional thing. 
    ruff was actually not the correct way for me to spell it phoneticaly. more like "reuf". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com