Options

Americans and Canadians

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    brianlux said:
    I have a question for our Canadian friends here.  Having been born in California but also having lived in Western New York State for two years and Washington State for 4 years and having spend some time or traveled through 45 of the states, I've noticed that the US has a number of subcultures that can vary a good bit. 

Some very general observations: Mid to southern west coast people are generally very culture oriented, easy to meet but don't bond tightly and are often fast-lane people.  East coast people are more traditional, stand-offish when first met but once  a bond is made it is solid.  Midwest people are generally friendly but a bit stubborn and often set in their ways.  Northwest people listen to bands like Pearl Jam and are stoned 90% of the time. :wink:

So my question, Canadians, is, do you find the same to be true about Canada?  Are there varying general characteristics of people throughout your country?

There is no 'uniform' Canadian persona.

It's a combination of many factors, but people on the Atlantic coast are different from people on the Pacific coast who are different from people on the prairies who are different from...

I'd surmise that- among many things- geography is significant towards shaping the regional characteristics of the people there. But having said that, I don't feel Canadians are divided or polarized as significantly as our southern neighbours. Outside of an individual here or there and for better or worse, we tend to believe in and support social programs. We place priorities on health and education. We are comfortable with social assistance.

We have legitimate problems too, but they just seem smaller than some of the significant problems Americans are facing right now.

* The one difference I have seen over and over again is the service industry in the US is much friendlier and warm than in Canada. Businesses and the servers within these businesses in the US seem to genuinely appreciate your patronage. I'm not saying Canada is brutal, but I am saying that US workers tend to be more enthusiastic within their jobs serving you.

I say this with countless experiences throughout Washington State, many in Las Vegas, many in Hawaii, several in Boston, some in Los Angeles, and a few in Arizona. I'm relatively well-travelled within Canada. 
    Thank you, Thirty, for an excellent response. 

I envy Canadians being less polarized.  Americans are fiercely polarized and have become even more divided lately. I think that is due in part to our aggressive nature and tendency to fight first, be diplomatic later, if at all.  You can see that in anything from the way we drive to the way we make war. 

I've only been to Canada a few times (three, actually) but I did noticed people in the service industry there seemed a little cooler, more aloof. Here, they are mostly friendly but sometimes (not frequently) they can be down right nasty.  But those people often don't keep their jobs long.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A buddy of mine couldn't enter Canada due to a DUI when he was a young dumbass.  I had my luggage searched in front of everyone when I vacationed there in my early 20s, I guess because I was young and traveling alone and that seemed...iffy?  It was embarrassing at the time, but overall not a big deal.  And they were quite thorough yet professional.

So their security is pretty good, I'd say :)

My time in Vancouver was a fantastic experience in terms of people (and location, and food! and overall vibe).  The one Canadian I've met and come to know from these boards is someone whom I'm blessed to consider a dear friend.  Hope to make my way up there again at some point.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    hedonist said:
    A buddy of mine couldn't enter Canada due to a DUI when he was a young dumbass.  I had my luggage searched in front of everyone when I vacationed there in my early 20s, I guess because I was young and traveling alone and that seemed...iffy?  It was embarrassing at the time, but overall not a big deal.  And they were quite thorough yet professional.

My time in Vancouver was a fantastic experience in terms of people (and location, and food! and overall vibe).  The one Canadian I've met and come to know from these boards is someone whom I'm blessed to consider a dear friend.  Hope to make my way up there again at some point.
    He should never be allowed in ... until the US drops their fucking pathetic policy of turning back Canadians and banning them from entering the US for 5 years for many silly things ... I believe in this case it should be tick for tack... and believe the list of things people can get banned for just because of a power happy customs officer.  Nothing against anyone personal...if the crime is committed, stay out of Canada.  Unfortunately our customs officers are not nearly as vigilante and will let people slide in that shouldn’t...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonist said:

He should never be allowed in ... until the US drops their fucking pathetic policy of turning back Canadians and banning them from entering the US for 5 years for many silly things ... I believe in this case it should be tick for tack... and believe the list of things people can get banned for just because of a power happy customs officer.  Nothing against anyone personal...if the crime is committed, stay out of Canada.  Unfortunately our customs officers are not nearly as vigilante and will let people slide in that shouldn’t...
    *tit for tat ;)

And why should it be a quid pro quo thing?  Fairness is fairness and as with charity or kindness, shouldn't be based on reciprocity; it should just be - at least, to me.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I have a question for our Canadian friends here.  Having been born in California but also having lived in Western New York State for two years and Washington State for 4 years and having spend some time or traveled through 45 of the states, I've noticed that the US has a number of subcultures that can vary a good bit. 

Some very general observations: Mid to southern west coast people are generally very culture oriented, easy to meet but don't bond tightly and are often fast-lane people.  East coast people are more traditional, stand-offish when first met but once  a bond is made it is solid.  Midwest people are generally friendly but a bit stubborn and often set in their ways.  Northwest people listen to bands like Pearl Jam and are stoned 90% of the time. :wink:

So my question, Canadians, is, do you find the same to be true about Canada?  Are there varying general characteristics of people throughout your country?

It's a combination of many factors, but people on the Atlantic coast are different from people on the Pacific coast who are different from people on the prairies who are different from...

I'd surmise that- among many things- geography is significant towards shaping the regional characteristics of the people there. But having said that, I don't feel Canadians are divided or polarized as significantly as our southern neighbours. Outside of an individual here or there and for better or worse, we tend to believe in and support social programs. We place priorities on health and education. We are comfortable with social assistance.

We have legitimate problems too, but they just seem smaller than some of the significant problems Americans are facing right now.

* The one difference I have seen over and over again is the service industry in the US is much friendlier and warm than in Canada. Businesses and the servers within these businesses in the US seem to genuinely appreciate your patronage. I'm not saying Canada is brutal, but I am saying that US workers tend to be more enthusiastic within their jobs serving you.

I say this with countless experiences throughout Washington State, many in Las Vegas, many in Hawaii, several in Boston, some in Los Angeles, and a few in Arizona. I'm relatively well-travelled within Canada. 
    Thank you, Thirty, for an excellent response. 

I envy Canadians being less polarized.  Americans are fiercely polarized and have become even more divided lately. I think that is due in part to our aggressive nature and tendency to fight first, be diplomatic later, if at all.  You can see that in anything from the way we drive to the way we make war. 

I've only been to Canada a few times (three, actually) but I did noticed people in the service industry there seemed a little cooler, more aloof. Here, they are mostly friendly but sometimes (not frequently) they can be down right nasty.  But those people often don't keep their jobs long.
    Most people in the service industry in Canada make minimum ... even, waitress’s and waiters ... here in Ontario, minimum wage is 14/hour, the servers are not as worried about tips.  In many places in the US the server wages are quite low, makes you work a little harder for tips.

At 14 an hour and rising food prices the tips are drying up, that’s according to the waitress who served me yesterday ... and she said if she was consulted, she rather have a lower minimum and her tips pre 14/hr.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,743
    Longueuil said:j
    I dont' think the fastfood compagnies in Canada offer the "super size" option and it's a good thing. Who need a bucket of Coca-Cola?
    Also,what is this piece of clothing?

That is a toque. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    A bobble hat. U.k
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    How do you pronounce toque
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    How do you pronounce toque
    Like Duke.

Midwesterners in US call it a toboggan, short for toboggan hat, because it's appropriate for tobogganing.  Sledding is what that means.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

*tit for tat ;)

And why should it be a quid pro quo thing?  Fairness is fairness and as with charity or kindness, shouldn't be based on reciprocity; it should just be - at least, to me.
    DUI is a very serious crime that governments do not take seriously...yes tit for tat.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Tat for tit?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    dankind said:
    Tat for tit?
    If you really want one, I say go for it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Or just get a tat of a tit. 
  • Options
    Another difference between Americans and Canadians: we say 'tat'... Yankees say 'tit'.

They always want us to say 'tit' for 'tat'. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    brianlux said:

I found the service in the US, for the most part, far better than anywhere else I've travelled. I'm from Australia, and as a general rule, we do not tip, as the service staff are paid a fair wage, and in the nicer restaurants, some waiters etc make very good money. In the last few years, restaurants have tried to implement tips in various methods to guilt you into paying a tip. I have no problem tipping when service if worthy, but I will not tip in Australia on most occasions as the service has not been worthy, rather just going through the motions and the prices a nice restaurants charge for food is shocking

I spent 4 weeks in the US a few years ago for work and happily tipped at every place for food/drinks as I found the service far more friendly and on most occasions the waiters remembered your drink and regularly check on your experience. Loved that part of the US and loved leaving very nice tips for those really starred. Even  in those places where service may not have been "great" but if was fine, I was happy to tip as I know that's the expectation due to the wage supplementation.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Tipping is not comment in the u.k either but i guess if thats the norm or culture then cool . Its good to know.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    No Coder said:
    brianlux said:

I found the service in the US, for the most part, far better than anywhere else I've travelled. I'm from Australia, and as a general rule, we do not tip, as the service staff are paid a fair wage, and in the nicer restaurants, some waiters etc make very good money. In the last few years, restaurants have tried to implement tips in various methods to guilt you into paying a tip. I have no problem tipping when service if worthy, but I will not tip in Australia on most occasions as the service has not been worthy, rather just going through the motions and the prices a nice restaurants charge for food is shocking

I spent 4 weeks in the US a few years ago for work and happily tipped at every place for food/drinks as I found the service far more friendly and on most occasions the waiters remembered your drink and regularly check on your experience. Loved that part of the US and loved leaving very nice tips for those really starred. Even  in those places where service may not have been "great" but if was fine, I was happy to tip as I know that's the expectation due to the wage supplementation.
    It's getting to the point where, in the US, you're expected to tip for just about everything.  Tip expectations and tip jars are all over the place.  I n some cases I don't mind if I thought the underpaid service workers were making enough in wages plus tips to make a living wage but even with tips, service jobs are hard to get by on.  But how do you know how much that woman busing tables or the guy loading the commercial dishwasher is getting and is it a fair shake?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I look at tipping as a very unusual act that i would reserve for exceptional acts of kindness or something very special. The thing is many jobs are underpaid so the person tipping may be on low wage so cannot afford to tip anf wants a treat of going out with his /her family once in a while. And tipping is reserved for restaurant staff but plenty other jobs earn low wages don't get tipped so its a mine field for me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I look at tipping as a very unusual act that i would reserve for exceptional acts of kindness or something very special. The thing is many jobs are underpaid so the person tipping may be on low wage so cannot afford to tip anf wants a treat of going out with his /her family once in a while. And tipping is reserved for restaurant staff but plenty other jobs earn low wages don't get tipped so its a mine field for me.
    Very good point, last exit! 

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    brianlux said:
    No Coder said:
    brianlux said:

It's getting to the point where, in the US, you're expected to tip for just about everything.  Tip expectations and tip jars are all over the place.  I n some cases I don't mind if I thought the underpaid service workers were making enough in wages plus tips to make a living wage but even with tips, service jobs are hard to get by on.  But how do you know how much that woman busing tables or the guy loading the commercial dishwasher is getting and is it a fair shake?
    In Australia, there is minimum wages applied to all industries, so it is pretty easy to find out a rough guide to pays etc. There are plenty of jobs that are paid similar amounts to the restaurant service industry in Oz, so that's party of the reason that I don't tip and also, I'm not loaded either and a meal out for my family at a standard restaurant would easily come to $100-$150, for nothing fancy, so that is definitely not something I can afford to do very often, and I'm not adding to that cost by tipping for average service, which is the case for the majority of my experiences eating out in Oz. Certainly not bad, but nothing that makes you feel looked after, like the service I have experienced in the US.

I was lucky enough, when I was in the US for work, that I was getting paid a travel allowance for meals etc, so I was happy to part with that money to give good tips to the staff. We were in a small town for the majority of the 4 weeks I was there,so there was not a lot of places to eat. We ate and drank at one place probably 3-4 nights a week and there was at least 20 of us, so the staff were sad when were were leaving, because they'd had a great run of good tips and happy customers.We loved it, because they looked after us so well and remembered what we liked to drink etc, and often had good chats to them about our country and theirs.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Another difference between Americans and Canadians: we say 'tat'... Yankees say 'tit'.

So, then, is this a tufted tatmouse?

And what, praytell, do you call a blue-footed booby?

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I love boobies
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ :rofl:
  • Options
    dankind said:

So, then, is this a tufted tatmouse?

And what, praytell, do you call a blue-footed booby?

lol

We hate that boob bird. And that tater-mouse bird is a wanker.

Our geese put the run on these wussies when they try and enter Canadian air space. And if they try and sneak in on the ground level... our mooses charge them back to the US.

Our PM promised to build a net to keep these damn birds out of our country, but so far... nothing. Fake promises.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    dankind said:
    The potato chip aisle at a Canadian supermarket is truly a wonder to behold.
    What is that one flavour they have? "All Dressed" or something like that?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    The potato chip aisle at a Canadian supermarket is truly a wonder to behold.
    What is that one flavour they have? "All Dressed" or something like that?
    Nom!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    No Coder said:
    brianlux said:
    No Coder said:
    brianlux said:

In Australia, there is minimum wages applied to all industries, so it is pretty easy to find out a rough guide to pays etc. There are plenty of jobs that are paid similar amounts to the restaurant service industry in Oz, so that's party of the reason that I don't tip and also, I'm not loaded either and a meal out for my family at a standard restaurant would easily come to $100-$150, for nothing fancy, so that is definitely not something I can afford to do very often, and I'm not adding to that cost by tipping for average service, which is the case for the majority of my experiences eating out in Oz. Certainly not bad, but nothing that makes you feel looked after, like the service I have experienced in the US.

I was lucky enough, when I was in the US for work, that I was getting paid a travel allowance for meals etc, so I was happy to part with that money to give good tips to the staff. We were in a small town for the majority of the 4 weeks I was there,so there was not a lot of places to eat. We ate and drank at one place probably 3-4 nights a week and there was at least 20 of us, so the staff were sad when were were leaving, because they'd had a great run of good tips and happy customers.We loved it, because they looked after us so well and remembered what we liked to drink etc, and often had good chats to them about our country and theirs.
    That's about $80 to $118, US.  Unless you have a large family, this is rather costly!

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    All I know is that Montreal is one of my favorite places in the world to visit. Poutine and hot chicks LOL.  Yes I am that simple.
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I'll be going to both Canada and the U.S for the first time next months so I'll have a fully formed opinion come the end of March. Time's up, Americans.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited February 2018

Bagged Milk is something i’ve never seen stateside...
    I’m from western Canada.  I’d never seen bagged milk until I moved out east.
    We did used to have it. I remember it from my childhood. But the west did away with it and switch to cartons and jugs in the 80s? or so (ND says 90s - I don't recall having them that late in life). I have very clear memories of those plastic jug things that you put the bag of milk in for pouring. Back then they were all in ugly colours for some reason, lol. Everyone also used them for pouring water over little kids' heads in the bath, to rinse off the shampoo, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata