Options

Americans and Canadians

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    I've never NOT heard a Canadian say aboot.  I mean, perhaps it's not that exaggerated, but it definitely sounds different than any other non-Canadian, western English-speaking person I've ever heard say it.  It's more lilke "abeauwt."
    Absolutely.  Been traveling to Canada for almost 15 years.  Never NOT heard it.....and it still makes me giggle every, single, time.
    As a Canadian from the west coast, where we don't think we have any accent, I agree. No, it is NOT "aboot" for 99% of Canadians. Not even really close. So I think that's why some object to this stereotype - it's just too inaccurate for us to humour. But yeah, Canadians definitely have slight regional accents all across the country, and most of us do have a "softer" pronunciation for some words, "about" being one of them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Well, I and most people I know still say roof, with an oo sound similar to nearly every song on Pink Floyd The Wall.

My family from bumfuck Ohio say ruff; they also say warsh. We should just take 'em out back and shoot 'em, but blud is theeker then warter.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    Do people from Quebec look down on fellow Canadians when you talk English instead of French?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,044
    my gradmother from rural manitoba also said warsh. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    besides all the talking differences, the original question was about cultural differences...I'd say the biggest one is patriotism. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,423
    I've heard Americans say roof, reuf, and ruff.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do people from Quebec look down on fellow Canadians when you talk English instead of French?
    I'm not Canadian, but I've been to Montreal and its surrounding towns enough to say that I think it depends on the person and where his/her loyalties lie. I'd say it's about half and half where I've been.

For example, I'd walk into a store in Longueuil to purchase a two-four, and the clerk would say, "Bonsoir." I'd answer, "Hello." After which the clerk would either speak to me in English or continue speaking to me in French. If the latter, I'd take my business elsewhere, knowing that, by law, that motherfucker knows how to speak English and is just being an asshole.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tha'ts mainly a rural quebec issue, but yes, I have HEARD they can be extreme dicks aboot it. in montreal they are all awesome, probably because many of them are not from there anyway, and those that are, they have such a massive tourism industry they'd be idiotic to turn therir noses up aboot it. 

what's really ironic is that, regarding language skills, I've heard people from France treat Quebecers the same way Quebecers treat English Canada. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mcgruff10 said:
    Quebecois have no room to look down at anyone for language. The French people I know say that it is like nails on a chalkboard listening to them speak French. They basically butcher both English and French. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,921
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    tha'ts mainly a rural quebec issue, but yes, I have HEARD they can be extreme dicks aboot it. in montreal they are all awesome, probably because many of them are not from there anyway, and those that are, they have such a massive tourism industry they'd be idiotic to turn therir noses up aboot it. 

what's really ironic is that, regarding language skills, I've heard people from France treat Quebecers the same way Quebecers treat English Canada. 
    ^^^^^ SEE?!?! You just did it right there! Haha haha :rofl:

Sorry, I could not resist. 
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    tha'ts mainly a rural quebec issue, but yes, I have HEARD they can be extreme dicks aboot it. in montreal they are all awesome, probably because many of them are not from there anyway, and those that are, they have such a massive tourism industry they'd be idiotic to turn therir noses up aboot it. 

Yes, I have personally experienced this. Many French-Canadians are super snobs about it, and they are RUDE. I lived with a French Canadian guy once, and we lived in a town where there were a few others of them from out of town, so he made friends with them. Even though they all were 100% fluent in English, they would all speak in French while I was there even though they knew I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Their attitude was that I was an asshole for not being fluent in French, so fuck me, they'd just speak french anyhow and leave me sitting there like an idiot, staring off into space. So fucking rude, it actually really tainted my opinion of French Canadians in general... I do assume some of them aren't like this, but this happened to me enough times with enough different people that I think I can say it's a fairly common kind of attitude. To be clear, this was in Western Canada, not Quebec or any place that has any French locals or anything.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tha'ts mainly a rural quebec issue, but yes, I have HEARD they can be extreme dicks aboot it. in montreal they are all awesome, probably because many of them are not from there anyway, and those that are, they have such a massive tourism industry they'd be idiotic to turn therir noses up aboot it. 

^^^^^ SEE?!?! You just did it right there! Haha haha :rofl:

Sorry, I could not resist. 
    you missed one. I did it twice. on purpose. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes, I have personally experienced this. Many French-Canadians are super snobs about it, and they are RUDE. I lived with a French Canadian guy once, and we lived in a town where there were a few others of them from out of town, so he made friends with them. Even though they all were 100% fluent in English, they would all speak in French while I was there even though they knew I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Their attitude was that I was an asshole for not being fluent in French, so fuck me, they'd just speak french anyhow and leave me sitting there like an idiot, staring off into space. So fucking rude, it actually really tainted my opinion of French Canadians in general... I do assume some of them aren't like this, but this happened to me enough times with enough different people that I think I can say it's a fairly common kind of attitude. To be clear, this was in Western Canada, not Quebec or any place that has any French locals or anything.
    in winnipeg there is a very large population of french canadians. many in my wife's side of the family. I have experienced this, but not in a "fuck you" type of way. it's more of a "this is my native tongue, and I forget there are non-franco's around me". as soon as they realized I was staring into space, they switched to english. 

I married into French AND Catholic. What the fuck was I thinking...... :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,531
    I did it and got flamed by the northerndragon. Racist. =)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Worst part of Canada is somehow we ended with gun loving eh-holes as neighbours...
    That's gun-loving, woman-hating, racist, greedy, obese, freedom providing eh-holes to you... :wink:
    Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh yeah...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I will never type aboot again. Very sorry
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Most people don't think they have an accent, but most people do have one.
    Canadians say about differently, and South Park has nothing to do with it.  Bob and Doug McKenzie were abootin and hoserin around long before South Park existed.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

in winnipeg there is a very large population of french canadians. many in my wife's side of the family. I have experienced this, but not in a "fuck you" type of way. it's more of a "this is my native tongue, and I forget there are non-franco's around me". as soon as they realized I was staring into space, they switched to english. 

I married into French AND Catholic. What the fuck was I thinking...... :lol:
    Oh, all the ones I've encountered are much worse than that, lol. Of course in these common instances I would ask them repeatedly to speak in English so I could understand and they would either flat out refuse, or switch to English for a few minutes to placate me and then go right back to French. Fucking assholes. :lol: Obviously I eventually avoided the situations when possible, but these people actually included 2 of my roommates, plus my dickhead BF, so I was stuck with it often enough. It really soured by attitude about the Quebecois types.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    I hate my accent.  I was unfortunaely cursed with a bit of a redneck accent.  It comes out a lot more when I'm around family than it does friends. Probably because I concentrate on not doing it around friends lol.
  • Options
    I sound like dick van dyke in mary poppins..not cool. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I think I have a very slight touch of Valley girl in my accent, lol. It's a West Coast thang.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Most people don't think they have an accent, but most people do have one.
    Canadians say about differently, and South Park has nothing to do with it.  Bob and Doug McKenzie were abootin and hoserin around long before South Park existed.
    of course everyone has an accent. we obviously acknowledge that, but we tend to believe that this aboot nonsense is just that, nonsense. and yes, I'm aware that Bob and Doug McKenzie were joking about that years before, but South Park is infinitely more widely known to Americans. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I will never type aboot again. Very sorry
    don't be. it's much ado aboot nothing. 

most of us, from what I'm aware, don't give two shits about our stereotypes. Tim's, friendly, marginallly stupid/naive, moose, beavers, taking dogsleds to school, etc. But for some reason aboot makes me laugh, because I have never ever heard it. I don't know any other person in the world joking aboot "aboot" other than americans. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    However you Canucks say anything, I'll take it over the accent I'm surrounded by every day. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    However you Canucks say anything, I'll take it over the accent I'm surrounded by every day. 
    No doot aboot that!!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My region of Ohio doesn't have a dominant accent, we have a few.  We have the Pennsylvania Dutch accent and we have redneck, and our average non-Amish, non-redneck either has a Cleveland accent or none at all.
    Midwesterners have less accent than most, but way more made up and alternate words.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    My region of Ohio doesn't have a dominant accent, we have a few.  We have the Pennsylvania Dutch accent and we have redneck, and our average non-Amish, non-redneck either has a Cleveland accent or none at all.
    Midwesterners have less accent than most, but way more made up and alternate words.
    Do they say perteneer where you live? My grandmother/mother/uncles/great aunt and all those other dumbass family members of mine from bumfuck Ohio say this, and I want to run my head into a wall every time they do so.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Do they say perteneer where you live? My grandmother/mother/uncles/great aunt and all those other dumbass family members of mine from bumfuck Ohio say this, and I want to run my head into a wall every time they do so.
    I don't even know what "perteneer" is supposed to be. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com