Options

A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited November 2019
    I just finished my last university exam and have thus finished my Bachelor's degree yet I feel so empty and sad.
    I should feel excited, happy. But I am not. 

Congratulations M!  That is an awesome achievement even though it may not feel like it at the moment.  What you’re feeling is quite normal.  Understandably, you’re tired; you’ve worked hard to achieve this degree.  In addition to the normal challenges and stresses school can bring, you’ve managed to overcome the challenges of anxiety and depression to actually complete this specific goal.  That’s not nothing!  You’re now facing the question of, “what do I do now?”  That can cause additional anxiety and stress.  Try to put that aside for a moment.  Give yourself some time to rest and recuperate.  Maybe go on a mini-break to a beachside cabin or something. An opportunity to get away from your current situation.  Hopefully, you’ll come to appreciate what you’ve accomplished. Again, congratulations.

S xx
    Thank you so much S, you're very kind and beautiful xx
    Yeah there's a bit of anxiety about the next step. I plan on doing Honours next year if I get accepted which I think I will.
    My growing student loan debt is worrying me. Not sure I'll be able afford to do a Master's after Honours. 
    I had 2 poor night's sleep and last night slept okay, my anxiety has been 10/10 because of the exam and beginning art classes next week.
    I didn't do the best I felt on my exam so was a bit pissed off aftwerwards. I ran out of time and had to rush it.
    A bit sad it is all over, no idea why as I'll be back there next year if accepted into Honours.
    I just felt lonely after the exam too, my cohort all went for pizza and drinks after the exam, I went home alone.
    I'm way older than them so it's not the right fit, I've been once before to drinks. I didn't get invited this time probably because I'm not into what they are into or because they guy that organises is upset at my Facebook posts about banning horse racing when he is into that (he came across as a bit cold compared to his usual friendly self).
    As for a get away, does starting art classes next week count haha?
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited November 2019
    I just finished my last university exam and have thus finished my Bachelor's degree yet I feel so empty and sad.
    I should feel excited, happy. But I am not. 

I basically felt the same way when I graduated from university. I LOVED my university years, and my entire life revolved around going to university and all the people I was connected to there. I even worked there, in a position that required you to be a student, so I lost two beloved jobs when I graduated instead of just the one job of being a full time student. I also lost my very active social life on campus, and I saw many very close friends leave and move to distance places to carry on with their own lives. Leaving that rich and happy life so suddenly was a true loss for me, and I grieved it for quite a while. I also had no idea WTF I was going to do. I spent the next 6 months looking for a decent job, and it really really sucked. I was terribly poor while I tried to start a career. To top it off, me and my boyfriend of 2 years broke up at that time just because all those changes for both of us disrupted what we were getting out of each other as students - our relationship didn't survive the life transition. It was a shitty period in life. But I think this is a relatively normal experience to feel empty and sad upon graduation. It's not fucking fun to suddenly enter the "real world" like that and lose what you have known for years, unless maybe if you happen to graduate with some great job offers, which isn't the norm, or unless you plan on immediately going back to school for a masters, and just continue what you've been doing. 
    My point is don't be so hard on yourself. There is no way you "should" feel about this. You feel the way you feel for good reasons. This isn't an easy time for people. Now you just need to find a job. There ARE jobs out there where bullying isn't a thing. I have no clue how you came to work as places full of so many inappropriately mean people.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Thank you PJ_Soul.
    I didn't have an active social life at university being much older than my cohort. They all went for drinks to celebrate, I went home, meh. I wasn't invited anyways. I saw everyone all happy and together and I was going home alone and feeling not that great and it made me feel worse. Last time I graduated from university in 2005 I was so excited I was jumping for joy. 
    I'll be doing Honours at the same university it seems, so it'll just be like a continuation for me. 
    But I still felt a bit flat even though I know that. No idea why. Maybe because Honours is very intense and I need to get first class honours to be able to progress to Master's or PhD. I'm actually waiting on the outcome of a part time job at another university in a tutoring role. So I might have employment whilst studying next year.
    Oh, and there's a conflict with loving art so much. My art teacher told me all the great painters had jobs  on the side and started painting in their 30s. I guess I should not feel too bad.

I still have anxiety though, I just feel on edge. I'll have to mention this to my GP if it does not go away in a week or so.
    I spent the afternoon drawing (see post in the art forum) to take my mind off it but I still do not feel calm.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    It would make me feel a lot better if family and friends asked how I was going with my mental health but they never do.
    It makes me feel alone and that no one cares about me.
    I have an appointment this afternoon with a psychiatrist to review my medication, have not seen one in years. My GP suggested I check with one for an expert opinion. I don't even know what to say. Not sure if this new drug is even working. No drug will cure loneliness, feeling like noone cares, not having a direction in life, not having a purpose, a job, a place of your own, a partner, a decent family etc etc etc.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some of that has to come from you; hopefully the psychiatrist, along with other means, can help you get there.

(I'm surprised this wasn't an option provided / taken before...?)

Rob, how are you doing?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Some of that has to come from you; hopefully the psychiatrist, along with other means, can help you get there.

Rob, how are you doing?
    What option? Seeing the psychiatrist? 
    What about noone asking how I'm going?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?
    they say we train others how to treat us.

perhaps, just maybe , folks are afraid of the answer. when given honestly , instead of the I'm ok surface pleasanties.

So, they ask. You answer honestly. Then what? Isnt that an awkward position to be put in?

Most often, what you are experiencing, is about them and their fear of uncomfortability.
    Does that make sense?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?

perhaps, just maybe , folks are afraid of the answer. when given honestly , instead of the I'm ok surface pleasanties.

So, they ask. You answer honestly. Then what? Isnt that an awkward position to be put in?

Most often, what you are experiencing, is about them and their fear of uncomfortability.
    Does that make sense?
    I was going to say just this. 

There are so many times people are so worried about saying the wrong thing that they say nothing at all believing that causes less damage. And...honestly, that sometimes is the better option, particularly when speaking to people who lack a filter. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?

Does that make sense?

There are so many times people are so worried about saying the wrong thing that they say nothing at all believing that causes less damage. And...honestly, that sometimes is the better option, particularly when speaking to people who lack a filter. 
    although that leads to feelings of being unloved or unworthy of caring.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited November 2019
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?
    The psychiatrist option.  Did you not seek it out or wasn't it available before now?

As for the other question, see below!

*edit - technically, above
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?

Does that make sense?
    Yeah.
    The thing is there is RUOK day here and all these other mental health awareness campaigns yet noone asks.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?
    The psychiatrist option.  Did you not seek it out or wasn't it available before now?

As for the other question, see below!

*edit - technically, above
    I've seen one a few times before.
    Last time about 2 years ago.
    I can only get one or two sessions without charge. Today is the earliest I could get for free.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?

Does that make sense?

Exactly
  • Options
    To add,
    I know one girl from university who suffers depression. I've checked in on her a number of times to see how she is. She's never reciprocated. You'd think that someone who understands would ask in return.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,644
    edited November 2019
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?
    Thank you for asking. You are kind.
    But the answer is getting worse. I dont  post as often as i want because its all very the same and i dont want to worry others  . I spoke on the phone to the best dr I've  spoken to. He listened and was kind. He told me i do not have the illness i think i do. He even  sent me a txt with the words do NOT have in it so could read it over and over but sadly i cant seem to believe anyone only myself. He says what i do have is ocd. Health anxiety. Which is a fact.  But as you all who know me a bit  that doesn't  answer my symptoms.  I live in a black dark hell. 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I do believe there  will just  come  a day that will be the end. That s all i can think
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    And as this is an anxiety thread. 
    Something  that makes me so upset is the upcoming  tour and its making me so sad. 
    I used to be that person getting excited making plans and its gone for me and it breaks my heart. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?

Does that make sense?

Exactly
    Unfortunately, I absolutely agree. Just saying that they may not realize the damage they do. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I do believe there  will just  come  a day that will be the end. That s all i can think
    which is true for every one on the planet.....

• Options
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?
    But the answer is getting worse. I dont  post as often as i want because its all very the same and i dont want to worry others  . I spoke on the phone to the best dr I've  spoken to. He listened and was kind. He told me i do not have the illness i think i do. He even  sent me a txt with the words do NOT have in it so could read it over and over but sadly i cant seem to believe anyone only myself. He says what i do have is ocd. Health anxiety. Which is a fact.  But as you all who know me a bit  that doesn't  answer my symptoms.  I live in a black dark hell. 
    At least you know what you have which many find comforting.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?

Does that make sense?

Exactly
    Unfortunately, I absolutely agree. Just saying that they may not realize the damage they do. 
    How do I (or should I even) bring this up with family and friends? I fear losing my friends if I tell them how sad it makes me.
    My best friend only asks how I am with physical ailments. Like recently he asked how my back is as I had pain.

My psychiatrist upped my dose.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    which is true for every one on the planet.....
    Yes a fact
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    hedonist said:

Rob, how are you doing?
    At least you know what you have which many find comforting.
    I don't  believe  what they say as i know  what ive lost thats the problem. Daily life is not recognisable  to how  it was
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    What have you lost?

• Options
    I feel like my friends don't really like me.
    Anything I share on Facebook is ignored, noone interacts with me on there anymore.
    I see them liking and commenting on other people's posts but mine are just ignored.
    Why am I so unlovable?
  • Options
    Leave social media its fake
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,644
    edited November 2019
    What have you lost?

Memory and confusion is ridiculous. 
    All the  drs say the same. Its from anxiety. Not anything  else. I dont buy it.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I feel like my friends don't really like me.
    Anything I share on Facebook is ignored, noone interacts with me on there anymore.
    I see them liking and commenting on other people's posts but mine are just ignored.
    Why am I so unlovable?
    do you love yourself?

• Options
    I don't know what to say. Have you had a neuropsychological assessment done? 
  • Options
    I am in this fucked up place where I don't want to live anymore but I am terrified of dying and death.
    It is like being stuck in a nightmare. I want to die but I don't want to die.