A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

1242526272830»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 17,488
    Yes I've seen some
     And they have said I've had all the service can offer. I.e counselling. Therapy and groups
    That's not right that you are being brushed off.  That kind of attitude by health care professionals is what discourages people from seeking help.  I hope you find someone that can help you, but it sounds like they are not LISTENING to you and your concerns, and that is problematic.  I encourage you to continue to try to get help and never give up.  Just curious, are these older health care professionals you are seeing?  
    it's not necessarily being brushed off. the medical community can only do so much. I can't speak for lastexit, but in my situation, unfortunately the medical community is pretty much grasping at straws trying to help people with these conditions as it is not like taking antibiotics. every single situation is unique, and they simply do not have the time nor the manpower to get to the bottom of it all. that's why they throw pills at people, which works for some, so they justify it. if not, they tell you to seek psychological help, which helps some people. but your average GP can only run tests and do what he/she is medically trained to do. for lastexit, all of those tests have come up negative, so what more can they do? refer him for psych help. 

I have done an immense amount of reading on this because of my own struggles, and I am convinced all of my physical pains/discomforts/etc have everything to do with my mental state. why? because it's not constant. And, when my brain is not able to deal with the trauma, i.e: my wife was out of town for 5 days, and one of my kids fell ill, all of my issues magically disappeared because I simply did not have the time to be lying in bed with symptoms, and my brain knew it. 

at least that's the conclusion I came to yesterday. Because all of my symptoms came back the second I was about to pick up my wife from the airport. and as tempting as a "marriage will do that to you" joke may be here, it's not applicable. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 5,296
    Yes I've seen some
     And they have said I've had all the service can offer. I.e counselling. Therapy and groups
    That's not right that you are being brushed off.  That kind of attitude by health care professionals is what discourages people from seeking help.  I hope you find someone that can help you, but it sounds like they are not LISTENING to you and your concerns, and that is problematic.  I encourage you to continue to try to get help and never give up.  Just curious, are these older health care professionals you are seeing?  
    it's not necessarily being brushed off. the medical community can only do so much. I can't speak for lastexit, but in my situation, unfortunately the medical community is pretty much grasping at straws trying to help people with these conditions as it is not like taking antibiotics. every single situation is unique, and they simply do not have the time nor the manpower to get to the bottom of it all. that's why they throw pills at people, which works for some, so they justify it. if not, they tell you to seek psychological help, which helps some people. but your average GP can only run tests and do what he/she is medically trained to do. for lastexit, all of those tests have come up negative, so what more can they do? refer him for psych help. 

I have done an immense amount of reading on this because of my own struggles, and I am convinced all of my physical pains/discomforts/etc have everything to do with my mental state. why? because it's not constant. And, when my brain is not able to deal with the trauma, i.e: my wife was out of town for 5 days, and one of my kids fell ill, all of my issues magically disappeared because I simply did not have the time to be lying in bed with symptoms, and my brain knew it. 

at least that's the conclusion I came to yesterday. Because all of my symptoms came back the second I was about to pick up my wife from the airport. and as tempting as a "marriage will do that to you" joke may be here, it's not applicable. 
    I cannot disagree with you there.  From my own experience, GP's are not the best equipped to deal with mental health issues, they are not councillors and in Ontario, a GP is not allowed to diagnose mental health issues, only psychologist and psychiatrist can ... and about the only tool in a GP's tool belt are pills.  I know from my experience, navigating the mental health system is an exercise in frustration at times, and people at the height of anxiety do not always cope well with frustrating situations, I know I didn't.  That's why I encourage him to not give up.

In my case, a local hospital has excellent 3-week anxiety/depression program that teaches wonderful coping skills.  When I say brush off, I mean it more in terms like his GP needs to get him into a mental health program.

I suffered from anxiety for years, it sucks.  Any uncontrolled anxiety is terrible.  I feel for anyone suffering from anxiety.  

I feel governments need to create a ministry of mental health, to focus on mental health issues by experts in mental health.

I have no idea how other provinces work but in Ontario Counselling is not covered, it should be covered...
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 348
    Sorry to hear you're having a dark time Rob. Since you haven't posted in this thread in a long time I assumed things were going okay for you. I don't have anything to add other than what's already posted above, please don't give up and you have good people here who really care. You're a kind and thoughtful person we all want to see get well. Hang in there.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 46,351
    Not for anxiety, but for depression that no treatment work against... I thought some here might find this interesting.

In biggest advance for depression in years, FDA approves novel treatment for hardest cases

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 20,846
    Sorry to hear lastexit that things haven’t gotten any better anxiety totally sucks my daughter suffers from it as I do , these last two yrs it has gotten really bad for me I’m cutting out all caffeine and sugars from my diet ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....