The Food Thread

Comments

• Great stuff.

Had a 6 pack for Lunch, from Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao. So frigging good.  Soup Dumplings are amazing.

Then for dinner, wings and brocoletti.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    ^^^ Love a good dumpling.

Knocked out a shepherds pie tonight. Made a few adjustments to my regular recipe. Somehow didn’t get a solid seal with the potatoes and ended up with leakage. Looked a bit like shit but was by far the best tasting shepherds pie I’ve ever made.
  • I've thought about making but have not.  Like a good SP.  
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    edited January 3
    I've thought about making but have not.  Like a good SP.  
    My ex is from Dublin. He made an amazing Shepherd’s Pie. That is one of the very few things I miss about him 😁
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome all around. Love whole snapper too. Like the citrus bed. Super cool. Do you carefully flip them over? Or close lid and leave them be.
    I put the lemons on the grate and the fish on top of them so the skin doesn't stick/rip when I flip them. The BBQ was kind of a homemade brick one with a square metal grate with handles. It had grooves in the bricks on the side so you could move the whole grate up or down. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    eddiec said:
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome all around. Love whole snapper too. Like the citrus bed. Super cool. Do you carefully flip them over? Or close lid and leave them be.
    I put the lemons on the grate and the fish on top of them so the skin doesn't stick/rip when I flip them. The BBQ was kind of a homemade brick one with a square metal grate with handles. It had grooves in the bricks on the side so you could move the whole grate up or down. 
    Love Red Snapper on the grill I have a fish holder makes for easy flipping! I need to grill one soon my local fish market gets nice fresh catch of the day delivery. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    This was our new year's day spread.  Crappy photo but you get the idea. Traditional Japanese cuisine.

• That looks great!

Inspired by Loujoe, made Shepherd's Pie tonight.  First time making, technically a Cottage Pie since I used beef vs lamb, but it was darn tasty. 

That looks great!

Inspired by Loujoe, made Shepherd's Pie tonight.  First time making, technically a Cottage Pie since I used beef vs lamb, but it was darn tasty. 

That looks awesome. I may have to give it that a try as well.

edited January 4
    That looks great!

Looks good!

Tonight was deconstructed cabbage rolls aka cabbage roll hot dish. Looks like a hot mess, makes enough to feed a small army, but it’s damn tasty. Even snuck some ground venison into it.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Sounds great.  Cabbage and Venison.  Two favorite foods!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    That looks great!

Maybe GG inspired? I know with us foodies it's all a yummmmy blurrrrI can make a killer sheperds pie too. Looks fantastic!
  • Ah, thought it was you who said you'd just made one!
    Ah, thought it was you who said you'd just made one!
    It was Jerparker20 who just made the Shepherd’s pie. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Get_Right said:
    This was our new year's day spread.  Crappy photo but you get the idea. Traditional Japanese cuisine.

Sweet!
    What's on the bottom left?
  • GlowGirl said:
    Thanks for the fact checking, M!
    GlowGirl said:
    Anytime 😉. Where did you get the recipe for the SP? It looks so good  
  • GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Anytime 😉. Where did you get the recipe for the SP? It looks so good  
    As usual, it was a mash up.  I took 3 or 4 videos I found online and combined methods and ingredients that I liked.  Sometimes I wait to do this until I've made a few times but in this instance I made from things I already had in fridge, freezer, or pantry....so it was by necessity.   :)

edited January 4
    Always like some ideas on sp. Is there gravy involved?
    not much experience with steak. did an iron skillet bone in skirt steak for nye treat. Seasoned it up heavy with salt and pepper the night before. Uncovered in fridge. 
    Bam!
    Each bite fantastic. 

Hacked up the leftovers and mixed in with the rice. Still eating it.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited January 4
    Loujoe said:
    Always like some ideas on sp. Is there gravy involved?
    It was nothing fancy.
    Did use the beef, veg, garlic, a bit of tomato paste, w sauce, beef stock, thyme, rosemary, gf flour, a gf beer (wife is gf)
    Not in that order but worked on it until it was a gravy of its own.  Took its time, which was good.
    Did not add any gravy as a separate thing, though. 
    Gonna have a run at it with some good, crusty, bread tonight.  Might try it cold, to start.  Something tells me this is the way.

The mash was as one usually would make...I did not have heavy cream, or buttermilk, or other suggested items....but I make a lethal mashed potatoes with some butter, milk, and salt.
    I left out the egg yolks I saw many calling for.  Don't think it suffered w/out it.  Some parm on top.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Ahh. Lots of ingredients I wouldn't have thought to use. Thx
    If you all have some patience, I’d be happy share my SP recipe. Like F Me it’s a mashup of a few recipes I’ve tweaked together. Could either put on here or send via PM/email.
  • Share here, easily found at later date and for everyone!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Hell yeah on the steaks. Shepard a pie looks awesome…never made it either. Maybe I will this winter

Got some cod cheeks today. Looks like a caper sauce type thing might be the way to go. Any thoughts? Anyone have them before? I haven’t 
  • Love the cheeks and the collars.  
    Not sure I've had cod.
    Any sauce you like would sound good, to me.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Hell yeah on the steaks. Shepard a pie looks awesome…never made it either. Maybe I will this winter

Got some cod cheeks today. Looks like a caper sauce type thing might be the way to go. Any thoughts? Anyone have them before? I haven’t 

I have had them before and you are in for a treat. I had them out in Montauk and they were served with a light curry cream sauce (very light saucing). I have also had them in Japan and they were served in the black cod style with a miso marinade then broiled. Delicious.
    Interesting in the curry cream. Pretty pumped about them. Fish guy I go to has been getting them pretty regularly so might be a somewhat regular thing.

will update accordingly of course 
    Albacore tuna over baby bok choy with a ponzu/soy/lemon sauce

• Awesome.  Nice presentation, also!
    I had sushi tonight, nothing amazing but not too bad.  First time the 9 year old had actual sushi....he usually has gyoza and Cucumber roll.  He really liked it.  Damn, now it starts to get more expensive!