The Food Thread

Comments

• All the fish Xmas eve, though getting a good portion of it catered by Anastasis in the Italian market. Take some of the stress off.

Then beef tenderloin, gravy, baked ziti on Christmas Day. 

Should be glorious. Christmas rules 
    Both sound amazing.
    My Mother In Law is hosting Christmas Eve and is doing....Seafood Lasagna.
    It sounds pretty disgusting, to me, but I will show up with my fork and see for myself.  :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    If lobster and shrimp are in there...could be good. Never heard of it. Enjoy
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    edited December 2023
    I'm going to my twin's family for Christmas eve and we will have a few fish-centric meals. I think we will have salmon, shrimp and lobster. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    What are y'all cooking up for Christmas, if you celebrate?

We do the full turkey meal on Thanksgiving.   Christmas is a wild card meal....and generally just the 3 of us (wife son and I) or the in-laws.

This year we are making Christmas lunch.  Having 3 of us, plus 5 in-laws.  Everyone is so picky and likes so many different things.  Last year I went crazy on a sushi making feast.
    This year I am making 4 pizzas.
    1 cheese sheet pan.
    1 half pepp, half mushroom sheet pan
    1 meat and jalapeño detroit style
    1 gluten free - think a white

We travel the day after, so pizza is perfect for leftovers.  Pop in freezer and enjoy at random times in the future for any pieces the guests don't take with them when they leave.  (And, hopefully they leave relatively early so we can watch the last two football games and kid can play with his toys.)

What you cooking up?

I will be breaking the smoker out to make pork loin chops. Sides are probably going to be roasted potatoes and whatever the kids bring with them. It will be us, 2 of our three kids and 4 of our 6 grandkids. 
  • What are y'all cooking up for Christmas, if you celebrate?

We do the full turkey meal on Thanksgiving.   Christmas is a wild card meal....and generally just the 3 of us (wife son and I) or the in-laws.

This year we are making Christmas lunch.  Having 3 of us, plus 5 in-laws.  Everyone is so picky and likes so many different things.  Last year I went crazy on a sushi making feast.
    This year I am making 4 pizzas.
    1 cheese sheet pan.
    1 half pepp, half mushroom sheet pan
    1 meat and jalapeño detroit style
    1 gluten free - think a white

We travel the day after, so pizza is perfect for leftovers.  Pop in freezer and enjoy at random times in the future for any pieces the guests don't take with them when they leave.  (And, hopefully they leave relatively early so we can watch the last two football games and kid can play with his toys.)

What you cooking up?

I will be breaking the smoker out to make pork loin chops. Sides are probably going to be roasted potatoes and whatever the kids bring with them. It will be us, 2 of our three kids and 4 of our 6 grandkids. 
    Awesome- I've not done that before.  Sounds great!

• Loujoe said:
    If lobster and shrimp are in there...could be good. Never heard of it. Enjoy
    I think skrimps and scallops?  I would have though crab or lobster bug either way, sounds off.  Hope it'll be good.

Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm going to my twin's family for Christmas eve and we will have a few fish-centric meals. I think we will have salmon, shrimp and lobster. 
    Christmas Eve fishes are always a hit!
    Growing up it was linguini with clam sauce, and another with red lobster sauce. Italian fish tradition I guess. 
  • Loujoe said:
    Growing up it was linguini with clam sauce, and another with red lobster sauce. Italian fish tradition I guess. 
    Linguine with clams is one of the greatest things a person can eat!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Baked or Fried?
    I love eggplant parm.  My wife and son do not.  I miss it!
    Fried
    www.myspace.com
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Christmas Eve:
    Wife is doing a French toast bake for bunch. The main event will be: baked ham, wild rice with mushrooms, a baked squash casserole (my brother gave me over 50lbs of squash got to do something with it), the classic green bean casserole for the brother-in-laws, a salad, and a couple loaves of sourdough.

Christmas Day: 
    We’re fairly hellbent on getting everyone out of our house by noon. Will likely grab some takeout from the Chinese place down the street and call it good.
  • Baked or Fried?
    I love eggplant parm.  My wife and son do not.  I miss it!
    Fried
    This is the way

Christmas Eve:
    Wife is doing a French toast bake for bunch. The main event will be: baked ham, wild rice with mushrooms, a baked squash casserole (my brother gave me over 50lbs of squash got to do something with it), the classic green bean casserole for the brother-in-laws, a salad, and a couple loaves of sourdough.

Christmas Day: 
    We’re fairly hellbent on getting everyone out of our house by noon. Will likely grab some takeout from the Chinese place down the street and call it good.
    Sounds brilliant!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Bourdain no reservations in Mexico City was on last night so was walking by south Philly barbacoa and had to stop. Just the absolute best 

• So frigging good!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Paella Xmas eve & pineapple ham for Xmas day with appetizers! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Paella Xmas eve & pineapple ham for Xmas day with appetizers! 
    Pics of paella please.  You eat well, brother!
    Paella Xmas eve & pineapple ham for Xmas day with appetizers! 
    Pics of paella please.  You eat well, brother!
    Will do! Everyone in the thread eats really good from all the dishes and places folks visit for meals. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    edited December 2023
    We cook. We eat. Spoiled rotten by a Japanese wife.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
    Get_Right said:
    I bet you are Adam I can just imagine all the great authentic Japanese cuisine she makes! Enjoy 
    Get_Right said:
    I bet you are Adam I can just imagine all the great authentic Japanese cuisine she makes! Enjoy 

Dude her fried chicken out of this world. So is her ramen, fish, noodles etc.
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Dude her fried chicken out of this world. So is her ramen, fish, noodles etc.
    Uhmm yummy all in my ballpark! 
    Did get this for a nice little treat here 

• Boom!
    edited December 2023

So what do you do with it? We eat a lot of tobiko and ikura in our house. I like the wasabi flavored eggs but I some grief from the family. Green eggs and ham. Good caviar needs some Dom or a Moet rose.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
    Get_Right said:

So what do you do with it? We eat a lot of tobiko and ikura in our house. I like the wasabi flavored eggs but I some grief from the family. Green eggs and ham. Good caviar needs some Dom or a Moet rose.
    We usually have a jar of Tobiko and the wasabi ones in our fridge too. 

For this will do it right…fresh blini, crème fraiche and chives. And yeah, champagne  
    Get_Right said:

We usually have a jar of Tobiko and the wasabi ones in our fridge too. 

For this will do it right…fresh blini, crème fraiche and chives. And yeah, champagne  

Love it blinis are tough to get right for take out.

• Homemade salsa verde and chili! Roasted some tomatoes and poblanos for the chili, a mix of ground beef and pork.
    Awesome. Ground pork?

Homemade salsa verde and chili! Roasted some tomatoes and poblanos for the chili, a mix of ground beef and pork.
    Yesssss 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,804
    edited December 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome. Ground pork?
    Yes, ground pork.
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
    Love that