The Food Thread

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,778
    Looks good F. My daughter ordered pumpkin spice at starbucks and i said no. First time I felt like a dad. 

• No spice for you!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,966
    Nice pie. Never tried to cook pumpkin. Always used canned in the past 
  • As simple as cooking a squash.   Tasty...I'd not done it before, either.
    Great job. Have a good day!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Chilean corn bow ties! Closest I can compare would be with a tamales 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I want 2!
    I want 2!
    You got it I’d recommend hot sauces with it! They are delicious I have mine with a pinch of sugar just the way I ate them
    in Chile as a kid 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Been a minute since I popped in here…

I opened my mouth over the summer and told the wife I’d start handling the majority of the cooking around here. Been knocking out some tasty things and finally feeling comfortable in the kitchen and loving it!

anyways, knocked out a chicken cacciatore tonight. Used a recipe I got years ago from an old timer I used to work with. It was his grandmother’s from the “old country.” Turned out great!

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466

I opened my mouth over the summer and told the wife I’d start handling the majority of the cooking around here. Been knocking out some tasty things and finally feeling comfortable in the kitchen and loving it!

anyways, knocked out a chicken cacciatore tonight. Used a recipe I got years ago from an old timer I used to work with. It was his grandmother’s from the “old country.” Turned out great!

Wow that looks good. Loved my grandmother's cacciatore growing up
    www.myspace.com
    Got crafty with a more Bolognese style sauce than what I normally make yesterday. We got some carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ground beef/pork and bacon in this concoction. I also used some milk and heavy cream to thicken it further. Very tasty....but oh so filling

www.myspace.com
  • Both look great!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Looks good!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Our tomatoes did not start ripening until after Labor Day this year for some reason....but they have been sooo juicy.

This was from our last harvest. BLT's on the menu this evening. Go Phils!

www.myspace.com
    Looks perfect. Cool. I have a few still green. Don't know if they'll ripen. May fry em up. 
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352

Yum! I got myself a pasta maker a while ago and have been making pasta like crazy, so much that I needed a break lol I made a bread this weekend, and I used pulverized dehydrated homegrown tomatoes and nasturtium for the green and brownish layer. Yellow was with turmeric. You couldn't really taste the nasturtium but the tomato powder is quite amazing. I plan on using it also for extra oomph in tomato sauces.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Didn’t talk a photo but had an Oklahoma onion smash burger for the first time today at a local bbq place.   I loved it!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    mcgruff10 said:
    Didn’t talk a photo but had an Oklahoma onion smash burger for the first time today at a local bbq place.   I loved it!!
    Excellent! Love a good onion smash!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Yum! I got myself a pasta maker a while ago and have been making pasta like crazy, so much that I needed a break lol I made a bread this weekend, and I used pulverized dehydrated homegrown tomatoes and nasturtium for the green and brownish layer. Yellow was with turmeric. You couldn't really taste the nasturtium but the tomato powder is quite amazing. I plan on using it also for extra oomph in tomato sauces.

Mmmm bread! That looks amazing!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686

That bread looks amazing and so pretty. I am a decent cook but have no baking skills at all. The only time I ever tried to make bread it was so dense and heavy it could have been used as a doorstop. Completely inedible. I never tried to make bread again except for cornbread (which actually did come out ok). 
    jerparker20 could you post the recipe for the multi-swirl bread? 

I made a split pea soup. I should do that more often. I used the cooking water, the aquafaba, from cooking black beans and the soup was darker, oops, but it was very good. I added vegan sausage. I was looking to make the soup have different textures, but it was an ok addition. If I liked sweet potatoes that would be an option, but I'm not there, yet. Maybe russet potatoes? I'm still working on options. I should cook split pea soup more often. It's comforting.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    jerparker20 could you post the recipe for the multi-swirl bread? 

I made a split pea soup. I should do that more often. I used the cooking water, the aquafaba, from cooking black beans and the soup was darker, oops, but it was very good. I added vegan sausage. I was looking to make the soup have different textures, but it was an ok addition. If I liked sweet potatoes that would be an option, but I'm not there, yet. Maybe russet potatoes? I'm still working on options. I should cook split pea soup more often. It's comforting.
    Ma'am, do you happen to possess a picture of said split pea soup that you would like to share with the group?
    www.myspace.com
  • OK,

looking for a pea soup/lentil soup recipe.  I've been doing this one so need a new one.  I even did an Indian type w the coconut that was great but need one wout the fat.

Here it is

1 med onion yellow or white
    3" grated fresh ginger
    6 garlic cloves minced
    2 tablespoons turmeric
    red pepper flakes pinch or more depending on your spice level
    10 stalks of celery chopped
    6-8 good sized carrots chopped and peeled
    bag of red lentils
    better than bullion
    cilantro for garnish
    lime or lemon squeeze on top

Rinse and strain Lentils. keep aside.

chop up veggies, onion, celery, carrots and spray pot or use dash of oil to sautee.  About 8 min. Pinch of salt to bring out the flavors in veggies.

Add garlic, turmeric, ginger and pepper for an additional minute.

Add water.  I use a 2 gal pot or so and fill water up 7/8 of the way. Turn on high.

Add better than bullion to taste.  Add lentils and stir to separate lentils.

Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.

You can place in a blender if u like but I like the consistency as is.

Pour in a bowl, place chopped cilantro on top and squeeze some fresh citrus on it and enjoy.

Reminder that Turmeric stains...
    OK,

looking for a pea soup/lentil soup recipe.  I've been doing this one so need a new one.  I even did an Indian type w the coconut that was great but need one wout the fat.

Here it is

3" grated fresh ginger
    6 garlic cloves minced
    2 tablespoons turmeric
    bag of red lentils
    better than bullion
    cilantro for garnish

chop up veggies, onion, celery, carrots and spray pot or use dash of oil to sautee.  About 8 min. Pinch of salt to bring out the flavors in veggies.

Add water.  I use a 2 gal pot or so and fill water up 7/8 of the way. Turn on high.

Pour in a bowl, place chopped cilantro on top and squeeze some fresh citrus on it and enjoy.

Must have a ham hock! 
  • OK,

Here it is

3" grated fresh ginger
    6 garlic cloves minced
    2 tablespoons turmeric
    bag of red lentils
    better than bullion
    cilantro for garnish

Must have a ham hock! 
    lol u can but my GF doesn't do red meat or pork... So consider this the vegetarian version.
    OK,

Here it is

3" grated fresh ginger
    6 garlic cloves minced
    2 tablespoons turmeric
    bag of red lentils
    better than bullion
    cilantro for garnish

Must have a ham hock! 
    lol u can but my GF doesn't do red meat or pork... So consider this the vegetarian version.
    Yes I don’t mind vegetarian soups! But split pea with ham hock is on another level 
    Ma'am, do you happen to possess a picture of said split pea soup that you would like to share with the group?
    The soup I made is not photogenic, but I'll figure something out.
  • Ms. Haiku said:
    The soup I made is not photogenic, but I'll figure something out.
    Agreed.  Split pea and lentil does not photograph well

edited October 2023
    ol pot roast and perogies
  • Holy hell.  All from scratch?