The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited September 2023
    Not a long list of things I enjoy more than great hummus and fresh pita.  

The pickles/olives and brisket shawarma were very strong as well.

Lunch @ Suraya in Fishtown.  (Philadelphia)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,775
    It is crazy how condiments have really changed food. Fancy salt, vinegars, pickled veg, yuzu, chili crisp etc. small things make a huge difference. At the moment I am addicted to black vinegar.
  • Not a long list of things I enjoy more than great hummus and fresh pita.  

Nice. I gotta get up there.
  • Get_Right said:
    It is crazy how condiments have really changed food. Fancy salt, vinegars, pickled veg, yuzu, chili crisp etc. small things make a huge difference. At the moment I am addicted to black vinegar.
    Yeah, I for sure go through different things I can't get enough of.  

Not a long list of things I enjoy more than great hummus and fresh pita.  

Nice. I gotta get up there.
    You've been before?
    Very good, if not.  Never anywhere to park although that perhaps you don't drive up there.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I LOVE Suyara…amazing food, beautiful room. All together an awesome experience. The only criticism I have is that you get a solid bill for hummus and more…a lot more but still a good portion of that kind of stuff. 
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Anyone here make their own naan bread? Did it take long to get the culinary "groove" of making it? 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Anyone here make their own naan bread? Did it take long to get the culinary "groove" of making it? 
    I love naan, but have never tried to make it. I did make my own tortillas once. That was fun.

• You've been before?
    Very good, if not.  Never anywhere to park although that perhaps you don't drive up there.
    Unfortunately, not yet, but hopefully correcting that soon. Seems like everything great is parking up in Fishtown, which stinks. Kicking myself in the ass for never getting to Kalaya while it was down here. So now have to get up there for that, too.

And yeah, parking not really a problem for us - we're either bike/SEPTA/Uber.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,966
    Ms. Haiku said:
    My bud does and it's an art with its own language.. He loves it. Plays with the oven temps. Uses an electric oven and I'd swear it comes out like a crusty brick oven bread.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    I don't care if this is fast food, this shit looks amazing. I might give this a go later---chick fil a pimento cheese sammy

www.myspace.com
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 939
    That CFA sandwich was decent.

Spicy Queso Funyuns are the shit. Finally found them today.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    Funyuns Spicy Queso Chips Are Here to Make Snack Time Spicy

For real?

• ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 939
    They're real and they're spectacular.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    ZoSoTim said:
    They're real and they're spectacular.

That is what she said!
  • Every time I come to this thread the only thing that crosses my mind is "At what point in Ten Club's history was culinary school one of the membership perks?"  Did we get a code for it like the bootlegs or...??

Y'all make some damn fine looking (and I'm sure tasting) stuff!!!  I don't think I'll ever be posting a pic here, lol.
  • Fresh made crab cakes on top of toast topped with fried egg and hollandaise sauce, my spin on eggs Benedict with avocado & tomatoes 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Classy. Nice.
  • Damn.  Pics don't do justice

St Elmos.
    Indy.
    Hot Skrimp Cocktail
    Porterhouse
    Aged Ribeye

Spectacular 

• Damn.  Pics don't do justice

St Elmos.
    Indy.
    Hot Skrimp Cocktail
    Porterhouse
    Aged Ribeye

Spectacular 

Are the shrimp underneath the cocktail sauce? 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited September 2023
    Yes, they are buried under the horseradish cocktail sauce.  4 giant shrimps.  (This is something they are known for)
  • Yes, they are buried under the horseradish cocktail sauce.  4 giant shrimps.  (This is something they are known for)
    Uhmm yummy 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Damn.  Pics don't do justice

St Elmos.
    Indy.
    Hot Skrimp Cocktail
    Porterhouse
    Aged Ribeye

Spectacular 

Oh shit! How was it? How was the cocktail sauce everything it was cracked up to be?

• It was great - I've been before and it was as good as remembered.   Cocktail sauce is a horseradish bomb, but really good.
    Bring yet wallet, though.  ;)

Fresh made crab cakes on top of toast topped with fried egg and hollandaise sauce, my spin on eggs Benedict with avocado & tomatoes 
    Looks good!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Damn.  Pics don't do justice

St Elmos.
    Indy.
    Hot Skrimp Cocktail
    Porterhouse
    Aged Ribeye

Spectacular 

That looks yummy. Surf n turf?
  • Not the traditional but I guess it could be considered that.  Certainly worthy of any tag, was great

Not the traditional but I guess it could be considered that.  Certainly worthy of any tag, was great

Founded in 1902, I would say it is very traditional for that restaurant. It looks like exact type of place I love when visiting a new city. I bet they make a great martini as well.  
  • Get_Right said:
    Not the traditional but I guess it could be considered that.  Certainly worthy of any tag, was great

Founded in 1902, I would say it is very traditional for that restaurant. It looks like exact type of place I love when visiting a new city. I bet they make a great martini as well.  
    They do, indeed!  
  • Get_Right said:

They do, indeed!  
    Yeah when ever I go to steakhouse always start with a martini