The Food Thread

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    I went from spending 2 days in a GA line to this bbq line at Goldees. I will post food photos once I get in there. 

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,966
    What. Line for BBQ! That is wild. 
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    OMG! I can sense the commitment 👏 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,775
    Craziness that is BBQ in Texas. Cannot wait to see the pics.
  • Awesome 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686

I am stuffed. Actually, this was for three of us. A pound of ribs, a pound of brisket, a pound of pork belly, potato salad, coleslaw, cheesy grits, and Texas toast. Apparently, people line up at this place starting in the wee hours of the morning. A friend of @Bentleyspop got there early to hold a spot in line for us while he picked me up at my hotel. There were a lot of people ahead of us but more behind us. It was so good. I am still full hours later. The sauce was delicious so I bought some merch to take home with me. It was well worth the wait. 
  • Wow, looks like it was great!
    Proper Texas BBQ spread!

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,803
    edited September 2023
    That looks great!

We hit up Micklethwait Craft Meats BBQ in Austin. Quite good.

Frito pie in the corner. Chile con carne, brisket, cheese, salsa crema.
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
    Nice!!^^
    lentil green bean Thai chili smoked jalapeño fritter 
  • Looks good
    Frito pie is the Texas secret weapon, it shouldn't be as good as it is. Nice tray!
  • Get_Right said:
    Frito pie is the Texas secret weapon, it shouldn't be as good as it is. Nice tray!
    Yeah! This frito pie was so good. The salsa and brisket were great additions.
  • We went apple picking and pumpkin picking as part of an event yesterday at a local farm.  
    What to do with all of those apples?  Some of them went in here...
    (We'll make pumpkin pie next week)

Applesauce is great too. Enjoy
    Loujoe said:
    Nice!!^^
    lentil green bean Thai chili smoked jalapeño fritter 
    The title alone is juicy.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I bought 5 pounds each of raw cannellini beans, raw black beans, raw garbanzo beans. I'm salivating about all of those beautiful soups in my future 😍 
    When I think of Lima Beans I think of something green-ish and chalky. A fun food to play with your siblings. I don't know why. The lima beans (butter beans) that I bought raw were white. I cooked them to add more protein to a red lentil soup. Lima Beans have a meat-fat flavor. (What?!) It surprised me. I added about 8 oz of cooked lima beans. It ended up as a thinnish soup so I added the remaining 8 oz. 
  • Pan fried blue catfish
    Par boiled, then sautéed, Swiss chard.  Stems tasted almost like candy.

Really good.  Sometimes simple and basic can be amazing

Very nice. Never had Swiss chard and thought of candy. Need to try it again. Great lookin catfish. Mayhaftagotacatchamesome
    My friends I used to fish with would make catfish stew to feed an army. Whiskers and all. Didn't love it...
  • Many people just serve the greens.  The stalks are the best part.
    I've had lots of good catfish, and caught hundreds of them - never eaten the heads, though.
    (Have with other fish, tho.)
    If you ever spent time south of DC, fried catfish is one the best meals you can have (although with the sides you might go right to sleep).  That chard looks like rhubarb.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    yeah, that looks awesome. I need to step my game back up here.
    Get_Right said:
    If you ever spent time south of DC, fried catfish is one the best meals you can have (although with the sides you might go right to sleep).  That chard looks like rhubarb.
    If you eat rhubarb leaves you can get sick so I've heard. 
    Cooked up a most of my tomato crop. Threw a few hot peppers & garlic from garden too. Iron skillet some loose hot sausage. Mix it up. Simmer. Lunch/dinner for the week. Looks yum.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited October 2023
    I made beet "risotto" tonight. I put it in quotes because I used long grain rice. It was super satisfying to work the beets in and I loved the color and taste of the final dish. I added some airfried chicken and veggies. Also dehydrated some more homegrown tomatoes.
    I made beet "risotto" tonight. I put it in quotes because I used long grain rice. It was super satisfying to work the beets in and I loved the color and taste of the final dish. I added some airfried chicken and veggies. Also dehydrated some more homegrown tomatoes.
    Very cool!
    I found a recipe for tomato pie, Yay! It has a lot of oil which I will need to remove or replace with stock. I'm very excited 😊 
  • I'd like to try the beet risotto.  

Put some of those pumpkins we picked last week to use.  Made 2 pies and a "squares" pan.

Pretty darn good.