The Food Thread

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    eddiec said:
    My wife did a short term private nursing gig on an estate in northern Scotland. They hunt the deer on their land and the estate chef gave her a few pieces of venison to fly back with as well as some Haggis.

I made a red wine and blueberry sauce for it.
    Haggis is at top of venison. I've never had it before, it was top notch 
    I always love looking at your food photos. They are stellar. Keep them coming. 
  • Amazing.

I miss venison.  Growing up a deer hunter, it was a regular part of diet until I moved away

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,966
    inspired by josevolution. from someone's garden. Bacon and smoked habenero cheese. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Loujoe said:
    inspired by josevolution. from someone's garden. Bacon and smoked habenero cheese. 
    Whoa I’m totally flattered! You and others here are really good cooks, those look very tasty 😋 enjoy the cooking/grilling 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:
    My wife did a short term private nursing gig on an estate in northern Scotland. They hunt the deer on their land and the estate chef gave her a few pieces of venison to fly back with as well as some Haggis.

I made a red wine and blueberry sauce for it.
    Haggis is at top of venison. I've never had it before, it was top notch 
    I always love looking at your food photos. They are stellar. Keep them coming. 
    What she said^^^^
  • Loujoe said:
    Very nice!
  • Southeast Asain Food Market, FDR Park, Philly
    About time I checked this out....ton of vendor stalls.  Could go there over and over.  Wow!

Walking around - Chicken gizzards, chicken hearts, pork, Sesame balls, Stuffed chicken wing, sugar cane drink

Brought home for later - Pork Bun, Mango sticky rice, Papaya Salad

• Fuck yeah, the best.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,775
    I heard Chicken hearts are good for man.   :open_mouth:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Hell yeah. Thought I responded and posted all this. Did all the same stuff. You get the papaya salad spicy? It had some legit kick. Hearts were much better than the gizzard 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited September 2023
    Hell yeah. Thought I responded and posted all this. Did all the same stuff. You get the papaya salad spicy? It had some legit kick. Hearts were much better than the gizzard 
    I brought it home to share at our gathering tomorrow....so unfortunately I didn't.  
    I'll get that spicy next time.
    Agree on the the heart, and that is not what I think when we get them at yakitori
    The stunner was the stuffed wing.  Really, Really, good.
    Looks like a fun culinary adventure.
    Grilled a burger and put some grilled peaches on it. Sounds odd,  but was great.
  • Loujoe said:
    Grilled a burger and put some grilled peaches on it. Sounds odd,  but was great.
    I bet it was good! Always good to venture into new pairings of food, I grilled turkey burgers yesterday have a new technique called Mash burger I’ll never make patties again and I’ll never grilled them on just the grill! Flat iron is the way to go 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Fried up some long hots yesterday. Looking forward to kicking sandwiches up a couple notches this week. Started with breakfast this morning

www.myspace.com
  • Looks great!

Also, I love the idea of peaches on a grilled burger.

Should be sweet but not super ripe peach. I think it's similar to grilled pineapple on a burger. 
    Also grilled up some corn. Soaked it a bit. Pulled off the silk and rewraped husks. Very yummy. Summer flavors. Butter and salt or Cajun spice. 
    Peppers look great too
  • I grilled some local corn yesterday and one of them I went nuts with spices on
      It was fucking awesome.  Wished I made 5 of them and that would have been my whole meal.
    Awesome. It's so good. Will grab some more today. Happy cooking.
    beans, garlic & hot chili peppers. All from my garden. Giddy up.
  • Yessir!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I cooked a lentil recipe from NYT Cooking that directed me to put a clove into a bayleaf into a half-onion and include it with the cooking lentils. As a result I include two half-onions with cloves/bayleafs in all of my bean cooking.

I usually brine the beans overnight with salt. I try to rinse most of the salt off, but there will be some salt in the beans. The water I use to cook the beans transforms into a very nice broth with the onion/clove/bayleafs.

I cooked some black beans, and the broth will be my "vegetable stock" for a black bean soup. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Loujoe said:
    And you are cooking it outside? It's beautiful! Do you use any other spices, or only salt/pepper?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I grilled some local corn yesterday and one of them I went nuts with spices on
      It was fucking awesome.  Wished I made 5 of them and that would have been my whole meal.
    That sounds awesome. I have always like corn, but this year my appreciation went up a couple notches probably because I cooked a few corn chowders. Yum Yum Yum.
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Loujoe said:
    And you are cooking it outside? It's beautiful! Do you use any other spices, or only salt/pepper?
    Hi. Outside. I didn't add anything else. A little butter/ olive oil.  That chili pepper packs a punch. Sure you could hit it with anything you like. Very pretty! I planted a pack of seeds with 3 different beans. Nice to have a variety. 
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I cooked a lentil recipe from NYT Cooking that directed me to put a clove into a bayleaf into a half-onion and include it with the cooking lentils. As a result I include two half-onions with cloves/bayleafs in all of my bean cooking.

I usually brine the beans overnight with salt. I try to rinse most of the salt off, but there will be some salt in the beans. The water I use to cook the beans transforms into a very nice broth with the onion/clove/bayleafs.

I cooked some black beans, and the broth will be my "vegetable stock" for a black bean soup. 
    I can learn from your style. I have a pack of lentils waiting to cook. 2 bags of quinoa too.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,775
    If you are in Chicago tonight, have a Vienna dog dragged through the garden, have a beef, have a deep dish or a cracker crust.  Maybe a chocolate shake late night. Enjoy :)

wow. Marble rye bagel, a little cream cheese, mountain gold tomato, basil, coarse 'sal Mexicana' 

Found this salt at a south American food market. Inexpensive and great flakey texture.

You really taste  it all. Fantastic way to enjoy the summer harvest. Get to it.. 
  • Awesome