The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    I don't get wings. Had them once. It was a lot of skin with a lil meat and a smathering of sauce. Are wings just a delivery agent for some ranch/bleu cheese to chase with some celery? 

Sell me on wings. Maybe I just didn't experience good wings. 

My present stance is that they are squishy and pointless. 

(And just say it now, DK. No matter how I describe wings, it just comes out wrong. :lol:
    It may be that you have a bias towards a chicken wing to begin with?

When eating wings it is a very intimate experience.  It's you, wings and sauce accompanied by bleu cheese, celery and carrots though carrots are the bastards of this meal.

The wing can be crunchy, tender, baked, fried or dry. 

The sauce should be heavy enough so it's remnant is on your fingers to be enjoyed after but not too overpowering or you might as well just drink the sauce.

The wing itself can be nibbled, bit or eaten whole in one fell swoop.  your method always ends in the same result, an empty bone.  Make sure no meat is left on or you will be shunned from the connoisseurs and be dismissed as an amateur, a slur among the wing enthusiasts.

A good sauce with some heat, or not, your choice, paired with the chicken to me is heaven.
    And that may very well be part of my issue. Not realizing until just a few years ago, food texture issues can be an ADD thing and I most definitely have food texture issues. 

Clearly wings need added to the list of foods we must get one evening. Kibbeh and wings! Why not? :smiley: 
    Do you have an air fryer?  It makes the best wings!
    I don't have room for one.

Is it a game changer?  I might have to get rid of something in order to make it work.
    I have no room for a lot of appliances either. Very limited counter space. I was eyeing this thing though. It is a combo air fryer and indoor grill. I have been wanting both of those things. It is a bit pricey, but I think I would use it a lot.

I have read good reviews on the indoor grill function, but it's a bit of a pain to clean.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,952
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    I don't get wings. Had them once. It was a lot of skin with a lil meat and a smathering of sauce. Are wings just a delivery agent for some ranch/bleu cheese to chase with some celery? 

Sell me on wings. Maybe I just didn't experience good wings. 

My present stance is that they are squishy and pointless. 

(And just say it now, DK. No matter how I describe wings, it just comes out wrong. :lol:
    It may be that you have a bias towards a chicken wing to begin with?

When eating wings it is a very intimate experience.  It's you, wings and sauce accompanied by bleu cheese, celery and carrots though carrots are the bastards of this meal.

The wing can be crunchy, tender, baked, fried or dry. 

The sauce should be heavy enough so it's remnant is on your fingers to be enjoyed after but not too overpowering or you might as well just drink the sauce.

The wing itself can be nibbled, bit or eaten whole in one fell swoop.  your method always ends in the same result, an empty bone.  Make sure no meat is left on or you will be shunned from the connoisseurs and be dismissed as an amateur, a slur among the wing enthusiasts.

A good sauce with some heat, or not, your choice, paired with the chicken to me is heaven.
    And that may very well be part of my issue. Not realizing until just a few years ago, food texture issues can be an ADD thing and I most definitely have food texture issues. 

Clearly wings need added to the list of foods we must get one evening. Kibbeh and wings! Why not? :smiley: 
    Do you have an air fryer?  It makes the best wings!
    I don't have room for one.

Is it a game changer?  I might have to get rid of something in order to make it work.
    I have no room for a lot of appliances either. Very limited counter space. I was eyeing this thing though. It is a combo air fryer and indoor grill. I have been wanting both of those things. It is a bit pricey, but I think I would use it a lot.

I have read good reviews on the indoor grill function, but it's a bit of a pain to clean.
    That is a consideration. It did get rave reviews though. I would also have to consider the size. I have no counter space for it. It would have to be something I would be able to put somewhere when I was not using it. Many of the reviews did say it was big. That is also a consideration. But overall, it looks great.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Get_Right said:
    No ranch once in awhile?
    Ranch is for children and people who put ketchup on their hotdogs...

SHOTS FIRED!!!!

Not a fan of ranch.  Just doesn't do it for me.

This man knows what he's talking about.  I'm not a ranch hater on salad, but it has no place with chicken wings.  Blue cheese all the way.  And the ketchup on dogs discussion is a whole separate one that I know has been covered.
  • Options
    Bought a rotisserie chicken today. Decided to use up my tortillas I bought a few weeks ago. Made a chicken fajita with avocado, grilled onions, hot sauce, pico de gallo, sour cream. All the taco talk earlier lit a spark. 

• Options
    MF117973 said:
    Bought a rotisserie chicken today. Decided to use up my tortillas I bought a few weeks ago. Made a chicken fajita with avocado, grilled onions, hot sauce, pico de gallo, sour cream. All the taco talk earlier lit a spark. 

We quit using sour cream altogether and swapped it for Greek yogurt (all protein) or cream cheese.  The cream cheese swap is just ridiculously decadent and we can't go back.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

We quit using sour cream altogether and swapped it for Greek yogurt (all protein) or cream cheese.  The cream cheese swap is just ridiculously decadent and we can't go back.
    I have subbed Greek yogurt for sour cream, but haven’t tried cream cheese. That does sound decadent. 
  • Options
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/farmers-euthanize-millions-pigs-meat-plants-close-coronavirus/

Pork is a bit unique, hogs go to market well before they reach full adult size, and at the time when they go they are still growing rapidly.  Beef grow slower and hold at a market weight longer, chicken are still growing very fast when they get to market, but they are only 8-10 weeks old, so the turnover is fast.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    What happens if they continue to grow...is the meat no longer good?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    What happens if they continue to grow...is the meat no longer good?
    It does get tougher, but it's still edible.  It all becomes roasting pork.  The small problem is that they eat and eat and eat and it's expensive to feed them with diminishing returns, most of the growth is in fat rather than muscle.
    The biggest problem, and the reason they euthanize, is that pork slaughter/processing machinery isn't designed to handle swine larger than 300lbs.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Awful to hear of this waste....
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    No waste here. Still using up that bacon. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:

But...you put a tomato with it. :frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

That's why it's called a BLT.

Sheesh. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    It could be a BL-T for those of us who don't care for raw tomatoes. :smiley:
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    Um, no.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    deadendp said:
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    Beat it with that not liking raw tomato hog wash, you snarky, two timin', jingle janglin', horseradishy dingbat. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    deadendp said:
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    Beat it with that not liking raw tomato hog wash, you snarky, two timin', jingle janglin', horseradishy dingbat. 

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    Speaking of horseradish... :nuh_uh:
  • Options
    Horseradish is a must. How else would one enjoy a leftover prime rib sandwich? Baguette. Thick slice of prime rib. Slather of horseradish. Fuck me!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    BLT is the only time I eat raw tomato. It is also the only time I like anything from New Jersey.  
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Horseradish is a must. How else would one enjoy a leftover prime rib sandwich? Baguette. Thick slice of prime rib. Slather of horseradish. Fuck me!
    Whoa, Tiger!  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    The World's Most Nutritious Foods
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180126-the-100-most-nutritious-foods

Pretty interesting list. Big surprise...bacon fat.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    Speaking of horseradish... :nuh_uh:
    I love horseradish. I put it on so many different things. There is company called Ish that makes a really good horseradish with ginger.

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,926
    Leftovers are used up and I don’t feel like cooking tonight, so takeout sushi it is.  All the taco talk has got me hungry though, so that dinner for tomorrow sorted.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Tomatoes are amazing, that's a fact beyond debate.

Horseradish, that's up for debate.  Prime rib is delicious, horseradish ruins it.  It's worse than ketchup on a steak, at least you could still taste the steak!  Horseradish is too heavy-handed for prime cut, it should be reserved for tough, flavorless cuts like round. 
  • Options
    🍅 = awesome, especially the Jersey ones in season.  Holy amazing.

Horseradish is great.  Prime rib leftover baguette...not sure I have ever enjoyed....but I sure want one now!
  • Options
    Tomatoes are fantastic for me...when they are cooked. Raw just ain't my gig. 

Baked chicken tonight. Threw in the end of a bag of carrots. Roasted a butternut squash for me and the kid while my husband had a baked potato. Orange veggie night for me and K, but using up what we have. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Leftover chili tonight. I have to say, diced raw onion on chili is an absolute must. Takes it to the next level. 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    deadendp said:
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

Sheesh. 
    +1, don't like raw tomatoes. My wife now always looked at me funny when we were dating and I would order a BLT w/o tomatoes.  She thought I was weird and she was correct 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    What’s left of dinner (shrimp and gus on the barbie)

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM