tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    edited May 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Eggplant looks amazing. You need some wire cooling racks to make sure the oil drains properly and the food stays crispy.
    Tortillas? Corn for tacos, flour for burritos and any tex mex (i.e. fajitas or breakfast tacos). And always two corn tortillas for each taco- that is the measure of a good taco joint. Fresh salsa, onions, cilantro and two tortillas.
    Any self respecting taco stand/joint serves you a taco w two tortillas.  Before the shutdown I visited a brand new taco place and my tacos come out in a single so of course I eat half of it then eat the rest with a fork that fell on my plate.

When the server came over and asked how it was I told them that corn tortillas should always be in 2's because they fall apart.  It's like they never even heard of this.  I forget that I am in NY and they no dick about making proper tacos here.  They try though.
    Fellow New Yorker here as well.  Amazed at how long it took for decent tacos to show up on our food scene. And then disappointed at how expensive they are. I still love Bar Taco though!
    I'm not sure what you call a decent taco joint?  A Kung Pao taco is not my idea of a good taco...

If they don't have a traditional taco of meat, cilantro and onion, I usually won't bother.  It reminds me of pizza places out west, the more toppings they have on them the more palatable it is.

When the East coast Taco joints try to reinvent the taco is when they start costing so much.  There is beauty in a simple taco and most places lose sight of that.
    100% agree with you.  Less is more. I live in the suburbs and it is a food desert. Bar taco will never replace a simple tacqueria, but it works when the alternative is mediocre fusion restaurants, which seem to be a plague where I live. We do have some authentic places in Port Chester, but nothing like Texas or Cali.
    I've noticed that most "Mexican" authentic restaurants are not that.  They take wayyyy too much south American cuisine into it.  I have yet to find an east coast Mexican spot that serves Albondigas.  When I do that will be my forever go to!
    It really amazes me that people think $100 duck carnitas is the best Mexican food in NYC. Damn shame really. Not sure why Danny Meyer has not taken a shot at authentic Mexican food.
    Duck on a taco is like pineapple on a pizza.  Neither is what it was originally intended for when you add those ingredients...

Would Mr Meyer would put Gold Flake on the carne?
    So you'd pass up something delicious just because it doesn't fit some kind of rule?  Duck on a taco sounds great.  Better suited for a taco than chicken...
    If I was to seek out a General Tsao's taco and that is what I wanted I would go to one of these places but I'm not.  I go to a Chinese food place for that.

When I want a taco, I want a taco.  Same for Pizza.  If I want buffalo chicken and blue cheese I seek that out and not on a damn pizza.

The optics on some of these things just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm up for trying anything and I will eat anything but I don't care to try your caramelized onion and beef stroganoff on a corn tortilla with chipotle coleslaw and calling it a taco.  Stop it.
    On the one hand, I see where you are coming from, a Rueben taco doesn't make any sense because the rye is essential to it's Rueben-ness.  On the other hand, people take all the fun out of food with this attitude, and then it gets out of hand and nobody's allowed to put toppings on their pizza or condiments on their hotdog.
    Buffalo chicken and Bleu cheese happens to be a perfect example.  It doesn't work very well on it's own, it needs paired with a grain.  Buns and regular bread soak up the sauce and need to be toasted or a ciabatta type bread, but then the texture is not ideal for everyone.  The best pairing with buffalo chicken and blue cheese is definitely a flat bread.  If you roll that up it's a wrap and nobody cries, but if you just fold it and call it a taco, someone's going to salt it with tears of inauthenticity.  Likewise, it's great on a thick flatbread, wherein the flavors remain a little more separate and are able to get a bit of char on top.  Delicious, but don't call it a pizza (though it clearly is one lol) or someone from NY or NJ is going to have a hemorrhage.

Put general Tso's chicken in a fried wonton with some Asian slaw and call it a taco, I'll eat that shit all day.  Delicious.
    Sometimes the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented and take it for what it is, perfection.

I don't understand of wanting the General on a taco, it's not peanut butter and chocolate.  Nothing amazing is going to happen when it meets the corn tortilla, find me the magic pairing, that is when food get's fun.

Lemon juice on pancakes?  Yep.
    Chili in chocolate?  Sure.
    Mint on lamb? Please.

Put any of these 3 in a corn tortilla and call it a taco?  GFY...

I've had fun with this discussion!

EDIT:  How the hell does Buffalo chicken not work with blue cheese alone?  I'm not looking to dip my wings in anything other than blue cheese, no bread needed!
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Food is fun.  Cooking cool shit is fun.  Delicious is delicious.  There is a place for authentic and there is a place for fusion.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    LOL the duck carnitas are actually amazing.  So are pastrami egg rolls.  Same with tacos that have shrimp tempura and cabbage slaw in them. There is a time and a place for that type of food for sure. While I have a love for all things authentic, there is always room for other tasty bits. That said I do think some of the things put in sushi rolls is downright criminal. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Eggplant looks amazing. You need some wire cooling racks to make sure the oil drains properly and the food stays crispy.
    Tortillas? Corn for tacos, flour for burritos and any tex mex (i.e. fajitas or breakfast tacos). And always two corn tortillas for each taco- that is the measure of a good taco joint. Fresh salsa, onions, cilantro and two tortillas.
    Any self respecting taco stand/joint serves you a taco w two tortillas.  Before the shutdown I visited a brand new taco place and my tacos come out in a single so of course I eat half of it then eat the rest with a fork that fell on my plate.

When the server came over and asked how it was I told them that corn tortillas should always be in 2's because they fall apart.  It's like they never even heard of this.  I forget that I am in NY and they no dick about making proper tacos here.  They try though.
    Fellow New Yorker here as well.  Amazed at how long it took for decent tacos to show up on our food scene. And then disappointed at how expensive they are. I still love Bar Taco though!
    I'm not sure what you call a decent taco joint?  A Kung Pao taco is not my idea of a good taco...

If they don't have a traditional taco of meat, cilantro and onion, I usually won't bother.  It reminds me of pizza places out west, the more toppings they have on them the more palatable it is.

When the East coast Taco joints try to reinvent the taco is when they start costing so much.  There is beauty in a simple taco and most places lose sight of that.
    100% agree with you.  Less is more. I live in the suburbs and it is a food desert. Bar taco will never replace a simple tacqueria, but it works when the alternative is mediocre fusion restaurants, which seem to be a plague where I live. We do have some authentic places in Port Chester, but nothing like Texas or Cali.
    I've noticed that most "Mexican" authentic restaurants are not that.  They take wayyyy too much south American cuisine into it.  I have yet to find an east coast Mexican spot that serves Albondigas.  When I do that will be my forever go to!
    It really amazes me that people think $100 duck carnitas is the best Mexican food in NYC. Damn shame really. Not sure why Danny Meyer has not taken a shot at authentic Mexican food.
    Duck on a taco is like pineapple on a pizza.  Neither is what it was originally intended for when you add those ingredients...

Would Mr Meyer would put Gold Flake on the carne?
    So you'd pass up something delicious just because it doesn't fit some kind of rule?  Duck on a taco sounds great.  Better suited for a taco than chicken...
    If I was to seek out a General Tsao's taco and that is what I wanted I would go to one of these places but I'm not.  I go to a Chinese food place for that.

When I want a taco, I want a taco.  Same for Pizza.  If I want buffalo chicken and blue cheese I seek that out and not on a damn pizza.

The optics on some of these things just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm up for trying anything and I will eat anything but I don't care to try your caramelized onion and beef stroganoff on a corn tortilla with chipotle coleslaw and calling it a taco.  Stop it.
    On the one hand, I see where you are coming from, a Rueben taco doesn't make any sense because the rye is essential to it's Rueben-ness.  On the other hand, people take all the fun out of food with this attitude, and then it gets out of hand and nobody's allowed to put toppings on their pizza or condiments on their hotdog.
    Buffalo chicken and Bleu cheese happens to be a perfect example.  It doesn't work very well on it's own, it needs paired with a grain.  Buns and regular bread soak up the sauce and need to be toasted or a ciabatta type bread, but then the texture is not ideal for everyone.  The best pairing with buffalo chicken and blue cheese is definitely a flat bread.  If you roll that up it's a wrap and nobody cries, but if you just fold it and call it a taco, someone's going to salt it with tears of inauthenticity.  Likewise, it's great on a thick flatbread, wherein the flavors remain a little more separate and are able to get a bit of char on top.  Delicious, but don't call it a pizza (though it clearly is one lol) or someone from NY or NJ is going to have a hemorrhage.

Put general Tso's chicken in a fried wonton with some Asian slaw and call it a taco, I'll eat that shit all day.  Delicious.
    Sometimes the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented and take it for what it is, perfection.

I don't understand of wanting the General on a taco, it's not peanut butter and chocolate.  Nothing amazing is going to happen when it meets the corn tortilla, find me the magic pairing, that is when food get's fun.

Lemon juice on pancakes?  Yep.
    Chili in chocolate?  Sure.
    Mint on lamb? Please.

Put any of these 3 in a corn tortilla and call it a taco?  GFY...

I've had fun with this discussion!

EDIT:  How the hell does Buffalo chicken not work with blue cheese alone?  I'm not looking to dip my wings in anything other than blue cheese, no bread needed!
    Oh yeah, I meant other than wings.  Wings are great, but sometimes you don't want wing fingers.  Enter the delicious buffalo chicken wrap/taco flatbread/pizza.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    And what is the deal with pizza toppings these days?  My 12 year daughter love the BBQ and buffalo chicken pizza slices my local joint serves. Awful!

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    LOL the duck carnitas are actually amazing.  So are pastrami egg rolls.  Same with tacos that have shrimp tempura and cabbage slaw in them. There is a time and a place for that type of food for sure. While I have a love for all things authentic, there is always room for other tasty bits. That said I do think some of the things put in sushi rolls is downright criminal. 
    See now a pastrami eggroll I can get behind, why?  Fried anything tastes good.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I don't get wings. Had them once. It was a lot of skin with a lil meat and a smathering of sauce. Are wings just a delivery agent for some ranch/bleu cheese to chase with some celery? 

Sell me on wings. Maybe I just didn't experience good wings. 

My present stance is that they are squishy and pointless. 

(And just say it now, DK. No matter how I describe wings, it just comes out wrong. :lol:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ You have not had good wings.  Good wings are one of the finest food creations on Earth! 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    I don't get wings. Had them once. It was a lot of skin with a lil meat and a smathering of sauce. Are wings just a delivery agent for some ranch/bleu cheese to chase with some celery? 

(And just say it now, DK. No matter how I describe wings, it just comes out wrong. :lol:
    It may be that you have a bias towards a chicken wing to begin with?

When eating wings it is a very intimate experience.  It's you, wings and sauce accompanied by bleu cheese, celery and carrots though carrots are the bastards of this meal.

The wing can be crunchy, tender, baked, fried or dry. 

The sauce should be heavy enough so it's remnant is on your fingers to be enjoyed after but not too overpowering or you might as well just drink the sauce.

The wing itself can be nibbled, bit or eaten whole in one fell swoop.  your method always ends in the same result, an empty bone.  Make sure no meat is left on or you will be shunned from the connoisseurs and be dismissed as an amateur, a slur among the wing enthusiasts.

A good sauce with some heat, or not, your choice, paired with the chicken to me is heaven.

• Options
    deadendp said:

If the skin isn't crispy then they aren't worth eating.  
  • Options
    deadendp said:

When eating wings it is a very intimate experience.  It's you, wings and sauce accompanied by bleu cheese, celery and carrots though carrots are the bastards of this meal.

The sauce should be heavy enough so it's remnant is on your fingers to be enjoyed after but not too overpowering or you might as well just drink the sauce.

The wing itself can be nibbled, bit or eaten whole in one fell swoop.  your method always ends in the same result, an empty bone.  Make sure no meat is left on or you will be shunned from the connoisseurs and be dismissed as an amateur, a slur among the wing enthusiasts.

A good sauce with some heat, or not, your choice, paired with the chicken to me is heaven.
    And that may very well be part of my issue. Not realizing until just a few years ago, food texture issues can be an ADD thing and I most definitely have food texture issues. 

Clearly wings need added to the list of foods we must get one evening. Kibbeh and wings! Why not? :smiley: 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:

I second this.  I will also add that in addition to the standard array of sauces, there are a ton of dry rubs that are equally delicious.  So many variations of delectable wings.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:

bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:

I second this.  I will also add that in addition to the standard array of sauces, there are a ton of dry rubs that are equally delicious.  So many variations of delectable wings.

I started to bake my wings at home because I didn't want to eat fried all the time.  I then put the broiler on to give the skin a little crisp.

When not having the crisp people that have tried them were enamored by the sauce, it's homemade, so maybe that was winning them over?

I prefer crisp too but a nice plump wing is fine, a crunchy, no meat wing in unacceptable!
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

And that may very well be part of my issue. Not realizing until just a few years ago, food texture issues can be an ADD thing and I most definitely have food texture issues. 

Clearly wings need added to the list of foods we must get one evening. Kibbeh and wings! Why not? :smiley: 
    You had me at Kibbeh!
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

Do you have an air fryer?  It makes the best wings!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

I don't have room for one.

Is it a game changer?  I might have to get rid of something in order to make it work.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

Is it a game changer?  I might have to get rid of something in order to make it work.
    No, not a game changer.  We got ours as a gift and we only use it for wings and reheating fried chicken.  It does make great crispy skinned wings.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

I do not. Looking to make an eventual move to the non-specific NW, I have been working on getting rid of kitchen things I do not use. I'm sure they are lovely, but I might not be able to defend the space. 

Tell me more though. 
  • Options
    Question regarding the Gringo Bandito hot sauce.  I just went to order a variety 4-pack for $15 online.  The cheapest shipping option was Fed Ex "home delivery" for $15.77.  More than the cost of the sauce.  The other options were overnight or 2nd day for a few dollars more.  I'm unwilling to pay that shipping price out of principle, so I'm wondering if any of you folks that have ordered this before found a cheaper way to ship or if you just paid it.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,957
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

I have no room for a lot of appliances either. Very limited counter space. I was eyeing this thing though. It is a combo air fryer and indoor grill. I have been wanting both of those things. It is a bit pricey, but I think I would use it a lot.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,663
    edited May 2020
    bbiggs said:
    Question regarding the Gringo Bandito hot sauce.  I just went to order a variety 4-pack for $15 online.  The cheapest shipping option was Fed Ex "home delivery" for $15.77.  More than the cost of the sauce.  The other options were overnight or 2nd day for a few dollars more.  I'm unwilling to pay that shipping price out of principle, so I'm wondering if any of you folks that have ordered this before found a cheaper way to ship or if you just paid it.
    On items under $100 I usually don't look too closely when it comes to something I want.  If I paid $15 for shipping of a $15 box, that should have stuck out to me, because it is indeed lame.

Wings....don't have to be crispy, but I like crispy.
    They are fun to eat, especially if you like different hot sauces.  I almost never use blue cheese or any ranch....just the wing and hot sauce.
    Also, it is fun to develop a technique to eating wings, specifically with flats.  
    Great wings are a heavenly food stuff.... brings me to thoughts of beer volcanos and stripper factories - Holy FSM!
    Good wings are good.
    Some poor wings are even pretty good if the sauce is good.

Also an excuse to hammer some celery down the pipe and I do like celery.

Wings!!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Camp wings do not have to be crispy too.  My two favorite spots in Philly, one crispy, one not.

Minimal blue cheese.
  • Options
    I have heard great things about air fryers but also agree that there are too many kitchen gadgets.  I went to school in upstate New York and wings are a thing.  One of life's greatest pleasures when done right - these days I bake or grill (Im old and limit my intake of fried foods) them and they are a blank canvas that can be prepared to almost any flavor profile.
  • Options
    I should be specific when I mention the use of blue cheese.  I will only use this and I do so sparingly unless I made the wings.
    Marzetti Ultimate Blue Cheese Dressing 15 oz - Walmartcom
  • Options
    No ranch once in awhile?
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    No ranch once in awhile?
    Ranch is for children and people who put ketchup on their hotdogs...

SHOTS FIRED!!!!

Not a fan of ranch.  Just doesn't do it for me.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Look at what y’all done made me do. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Look at what y’all done made me do. 

I know. This thread is brutal in terms of sparking a craving. Mango-Habanero glaze sounds yummy. The wings place I go to has a really good sweet chili glaze that get really caramelized on the wings. I always order mine extra well done. I am in the crispy camp. I don't like the texture of a non-crispy wing. Enjoy!!!

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    No ranch once in awhile?

SHOTS FIRED!!!!

Oh you are one of those types sheesh.  ;)  Ranch is a beautiful thing and a fine alternative.  Ketchup is perfectly acceptable for hot dogs. Ketchup yellow mustard and relish. Onions optional. Yum! Childhood on a bun!
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    No ranch once in awhile?

SHOTS FIRED!!!!

I don't mind ranch on certain things. But for me it is blue cheese dressing all the way for wings. I like the really chunky blue cheese dressing as well.

But, ketchup on hotdogs - yes please.