Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    Finished product. Turned out really tasty. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,687
    Looks great!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Bravo to you all.  Well done!

And yes - ALWAYS cheese on a burger in our house =)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,687
    edited April 2020
    Have we talked hard boiled eggs?

Long a disciple of the "Boill Water, Add Eggs, Remove From Heat" methodology, I recently converted to a new method which shines a light on my dark/caveman former tactics and makes a perfectly consistent hard boiled egg even easier.

Was rolling through YouTube a while back and saw in my feed some videos from Alton Brown....his Good Eats show "reloaded" for the Cooking Channel.  Interested I clicked on the eggs episode 
    When he covered the change over the years in how he prepared a Hard Cooked Egg, I wanted to try it.
    Never going back again......

Boil a small amount of water in a sauce pan
    Put 6 eggs in your steam basket, pop it in the sauce pan.
    Steam for 11 mins (13 if you like the more firm yoke)
    Dunk the basket in cool water only for as long as it takes to cool to touch.  (A minute or two)
    Peel underwater, in that bowl of cool water.
    Ready to eat
    Store submerged in water what you want to eat later.

Easier to peel.  Made probably a half dozen times and don't take away more than shell.  (The pieces on the bowl are the only pieces left from a half dozen eggs minus the very large pieces of she'll I tossed to the side as peeling.)
    Doesn't smell up the fridge
    Like the taste better a few days later vs. other method
    I didn't peel right away (nor underwater, also always shocked my eggs in an ice bath) previously and I prefer the ease of having them already peeled 

Recommend a try if you like your eggs hard boiled....hard steamed!

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Have we talked hard boiled eggs?

Long a disciple of the "Boill Water, Add Eggs, Remove From Heat" methodology, I recently converted to a new method which shines a light on my dark/caveman former tactics and makes a perfectly consistent hard boiled egg even easier.

Was rolling through YouTube a while back and saw in my feed some videos from Alton Brown....his Good Eats show "reloaded" for the Cooking Channel.  Interested I clicked on the eggs episode 
    When he covered the change over the years in how he prepared a Hard Cooked Egg, I wanted to try it.
    Never going back again......

Boil a small amount of water in a sauce pan
    Put 6 eggs in your steam basket, pop it in the sauce pan.
    Steam for 11 mins (13 if you like the more firm yoke)
    Dunk the basket in cool water only for as long as it takes to cool to touch.  (A minute or two)
    Peel underwater, in that bowl of cool water.
    Ready to eat
    Store submerged in water what you want to eat later.

Easier to peel.  Made probably a half dozen times and don't take away more than shell.  (The pieces on the bowl are the only pieces left from a half dozen eggs minus the very large pieces of she'll I tossed to the side as peeling.)
    Doesn't smell up the fridge
    Like the taste better a few days later vs. other method
    I didn't peel right away (nor underwater, also always shocked my eggs in an ice bath) previously and I prefer the ease of having them already peeled 

Recommend a try if you like your eggs hard boiled....hard steamed!

I grew up the victim of a mother who boiled the hell out of eggs. I thought the middle were supposed to have green.

Um, no. 

Interesting to steam. I will gave to try that next time. 

I am a hard boil from the beginning kinda girl. I put the eggs in at the start, boil hard for 11 - 12 minutes then cool quickly and peel under running water. Yellow middles, no green and sometimes with a lil cooked golden yellow in the deep middle. 

Rare, but I can have egg shell stickage. 

Growing up and here at my own home, I am the only one capable of peeling eggs without leaving shell behind or peeling away 3/4 of the egg. Is it because everyone else doesn't want to peel eggs? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2020
    I probably post about it years ago, back when I first got chickens, but for anyone who eats boiled eggs regularly, I highly recommend buying an egg cooker!
    They aren't expensive and they are very small.  They work by steam as well, which is necessary for peeling when you are using very fresh eggs.  As eggs age, the white shrinks and pulls away from the shell, so day fresh eggs are practically impossible to peal if boiled, but the steam pushes in and creates some space in that first membrane.
    The level of doneness is determined by how much water you put in, and there are lines on the measuring cup to guide you.  I like just past halfway between medium and hard boiled, so there's no fussing with a timer or anything, just measure out the water and turn it on.  Never over or under done.  The first time I had a day fresh egg boiled to medium-hard I was flat out amazed at how fluffy and flavorful the yolk was compared to the bone dry, bland eggs I grew up avoiding.
    It's a game changer on the same scale as a rice cooker!
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Could be!
    Interested to hear what you think.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,391
    +1 for steaming eggs.

Never peeled underwater like Alton suggested, but I do store in water.

Steam, shock, crack and roll. Shell falls right off.
  • Options
    Y'all will not be sorry if you get an egg cooker, I promise you that!  Perfect steamed eggs every time, no timing, no muss, no fuss.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,136
    rgambs said:
    Y'all will not be sorry if you get an egg cooker, I promise you that!  Perfect steamed eggs every time, no timing, no muss, no fuss.
    Googles egg cooker...
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    rgambs said:

Damn, that looks great.
  • Options
    Streaming gets some nods, I like it.

Will look at egg cooker....I have so many gadgets but this could be a small one, which could match well

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,058
    I was thinking of making fajitas tonight and for the first time I want to try to make my own flour tortillas. It doesn’t seem that difficult. I have all the ingredients except baking powder. Does anyone know if I can make them without it or should I mask and glove up and go to the grocery store.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,623
    Love this thread. Never steamed eggs. The wife usually takes in the egg boiling but will have to give it a go. Also don’t store in water so new thing there too. 

And hell yes to a pot luck 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    I was thinking of making fajitas tonight and for the first time I want to try to make my own flour tortillas. It doesn’t seem that difficult. I have all the ingredients except baking powder. Does anyone know if I can make them without it or should I mask and glove up and go to the grocery store.
    https://www.foodsharkmarfa.com/baking-powder-substitutes/
  • Options
    I wouldn't brave the store just for baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar...there's other alternatives there that I haven't tried...for tortilla to match with fajitas, lemon juice would be a good choice, cilantro and lime sort of action.  I would cut some of the liquid portion of the recipe though to keep it from being too soppy.
  • Options
    Streaming gets some nods, I like it.

Will look at egg cooker....I have so many gadgets but this could be a small one, which could match well

I have the small Cuisinart one and it's petite and cute, but I get the abundance of gadgets thing. They can get out of hand.  I have enough cupboard space so I say, bring on the gadgets.
    I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas, but I haven't used it yet.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,365
    Gambs I love the intent with which you approach food.  

Juggs...five guys is ruined by their junk fries.
    I do like their burgers.
    Ever Red Robin?
    I'm a fan.  Casual sit-down chain usually means slop.  I feel like their burger game is pretty strong.
    (Especially if you communicate just how you like them done )

Shake shack is pretty damn good.  

My wife and friends would stab a fool over in n out but I found them to be average.  (Great fries, though)
    Crazy talk. Their fries are great. 

Red Robin's okay for that kind of place.

Shake Shack is good. I would put them second behind Five Guys. Their chicken sandwich is better than their burgers. Not a fan of their fries.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I wouldn't brave the store just for baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar...there's other alternatives there that I haven't tried...for tortilla to match with fajitas, lemon juice would be a good choice, cilantro and lime sort of action.  I would cut some of the liquid portion of the recipe though to keep it from being too soppy.
    Thanks. That is really helpful. But my fajitas have to be on hold for today. I went to defrost the steak strips I was going to use and turns out I didn’t have any. I thought I had a package left. I guess I used them. My whole shopping/cooking schedule is so thrown off. I do have a package of chicken breast but am using them for something else this week. I hate going to the store on the weekends now. So, tomorrow I will go and get the beef, baking powder and other things and make the fajitas later this week. I sure miss the days when I could just quickly run to the store to grab something. And I do mean quickly- Whole Foods is two blocks from my apartment. I also miss going to the farmers market. 

Have you thought of making fajitas with that beautiful pork you smoked. Carnitas or Al Pastor (love that pork and pineapple combo)

Nobody make fun of my love for Hawaiian pizza 😜
  • Options
    A buddy on college used to insist on Hawaiian being part of the pizza orders when we were broke and pooled money to buy a few pizzas.  He later admitted that he knew he would get more pizza that way because some didn't like.  ;)

The extra pork has so many uses.  Tacos/fajitas are a great idea

MF - did you ever make your own tortilla chips?
    Many of us here have gone on and on about this in the past...it is very easy and unbeatable as a killer accompanying dish to pretty much anything.

Juggler - we are clearly french fry style enemies.  :lol:
  • Options
    I'm probably going to freeze half that pork, I pulled slightly less than half the butt, and we only ate half of what I pulled. We will eat more today, but still only what's already pulled. 
    Pork soft tacos will probably happen soon with the leftovers. 

Yes, the fry your own chips thing was a revolution for us.  I believe it was Cliffy who first mentioned it here, but maybe it was F Me.
    Either way, the home fried chips are now the central point of our Mexican dinners, which have (d)evolved into what we call MexiDips.
    We make a pile of chips, a pouch of Vigo Cuban Black Beans and Rice, melt a block of Cream Cheese, and make some guac.  Put it all on a plate, nice and cozy, and top it all with salsa and fresh shredded Jack and dip, dip, dipadelphia!
  • Options
    A buddy on college used to insist on Hawaiian being part of the pizza orders when we were broke and pooled money to buy a few pizzas.  He later admitted that he knew he would get more pizza that way because some didn't like.  ;)

Many of us here have gone on and on about this in the past...it is very easy and unbeatable as a killer accompanying dish to pretty much anything.

I have not made my own tortilla chips but will definitely look into that. 

It is funny how Hawaiian pizza can cause such heated debate. I have seen this argument for years. I just love that sweet and salty combo. I get shit from my friends about it all the time. It’s not my usual go to pizza - but if a slice place has it I am getting it. 
  • Options
    I think cliffy was the one to bring up the chips
    They are as easy as it gets and amazing!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hobbes said:
    +1 for steaming eggs.

Never peeled underwater like Alton suggested, but I do store in water.

Steam, shock, crack and roll. Shell falls right off.
    :giggle:

I love a hard-boiled egg with a semisoft yolk. Soft-boiled the same. 

• Options
    Pretty sure Cliffy founded this thread and pretty sure he dominates it as well lol.
    His presentation is always superb and his photos are quality.  I don't bother with presentation...I live in a damn double-wide lol
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:

I have not made my own tortilla chips but will definitely look into that. 

It is funny how Hawaiian pizza can cause such heated debate. I have seen this argument for years. I just love that sweet and salty combo. I get shit from my friends about it all the time. It’s not my usual go to pizza - but if a slice place has it I am getting it. 
    I'll get a slice of Hawaiian with you. Agreed. Definitely not an entire pizza thing, but a slice will do. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Pretty sure Cliffy founded this thread and pretty sure he dominates it as well lol.
    His presentation is always superb and his photos are quality.  I don't bother with presentation...I live in a damn double-wide lol
    Nothing better than frying your own tortilla chips. So easy. 

Haha Well thanks but eddiec is the presentation master. He just swoops in and post something that looks like it’s from a restaurant. Everyone contributes so much to this thread.
  • Options
    And hoping to have a good post this evening. Giving something a go for the first time 
  • Options
    Yeah eddiec is on it for sure.  I don't even know what bun cha or his other Asian dishes are but I want them.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    All the food on here is seriously impressive. 
    We could have one hell of a party. Whenever that is allowed again.