Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,339
    I dont see any questions posed that those would be answers to.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087
    Free said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

team USA hockey coach John Tortorella says if any players sit during National Anthem during World Cup of Hockey they will sit for rest of game. Torts' son is an Army Ranger. Not a fan of Tortorella in general but i agree with his stance here.

http://www.aol.com/article/sports/2016/09/07/team-usa-hockey-coach-you-sit-through-the-national-anthem-you/21467172/

It's ok for you to express an opinion but not the players? Isn't that a double standard?
    yes it's ok for me to express and not the players in this case. i was not chosen to represent my country in an international competition as they are. They are wearing USA on the front of their jerseys. if i was chosen as a representative of this country, no matter what beefs i might have with it, i should stand for that Anthem and Flag in my opinion. in this case if the players want to support the Anthem then don't represent the country in this competition. I don't think for this competition it would be right to wear the USA name but disrespect the Anthem.

If the same players want to not stand for it when playing for their regular NHL teams, while i disagree with it, they should be free to do it. i would find it disrespectful as I do Kaepernick doing it, but wouldn't deny them doing it.
    I didn't notice the international aspect. Still, it's sports. I don't see the connection between sports and state. They're two different things.
    I think it's fair to expect an athlete who plays for his or her country at international competitions to stand for the national anthem ...
    ...unless he's black and speaking out against the immense oppression of what being black in America means. He has every right.
    I'm conflicted on this. they are a representative of the nation they are protesting against. isn't that a tad hypocritical? at least kaepernick has no national ties during his protest.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Free said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

team USA hockey coach John Tortorella says if any players sit during National Anthem during World Cup of Hockey they will sit for rest of game. Torts' son is an Army Ranger. Not a fan of Tortorella in general but i agree with his stance here.

http://www.aol.com/article/sports/2016/09/07/team-usa-hockey-coach-you-sit-through-the-national-anthem-you/21467172/

It's ok for you to express an opinion but not the players? Isn't that a double standard?
    yes it's ok for me to express and not the players in this case. i was not chosen to represent my country in an international competition as they are. They are wearing USA on the front of their jerseys. if i was chosen as a representative of this country, no matter what beefs i might have with it, i should stand for that Anthem and Flag in my opinion. in this case if the players want to support the Anthem then don't represent the country in this competition. I don't think for this competition it would be right to wear the USA name but disrespect the Anthem.

If the same players want to not stand for it when playing for their regular NHL teams, while i disagree with it, they should be free to do it. i would find it disrespectful as I do Kaepernick doing it, but wouldn't deny them doing it.
    I didn't notice the international aspect. Still, it's sports. I don't see the connection between sports and state. They're two different things.
    I think it's fair to expect an athlete who plays for his or her country at international competitions to stand for the national anthem ...
    ...unless he's black and speaking out against the immense oppression of what being black in America means. He has every right.
    Then I would want to know why if feels badly about his country, so badly that you choose not to stand for the national anthem but you want to represent your country internationally....you can't have it both ways.
    didn't see this post before I commented.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    You know what I find disrespectful to our nation? All these fuckers running around like a bunch of dumb hicks shouting "'Merica" every chance they get. Talk about a buzz word I cannot fucking stand. 'Merica. First of all, it starts with an A, not an apostrophe-M. Second of all, there are two American continents, North and South, of which 35 countries belong. You don't hear Peruvians, Argentinians, Canadiens, or Guatemalans shouting "Merica" like a bunch of Pavlovian dogs.
  • Options

You know what I find disrespectful to our nation? All these fuckers running around like a bunch of dumb hicks shouting "'Merica" every chance they get. Talk about a buzz word I cannot fucking stand. 'Merica. First of all, it starts with an A, not an apostrophe-M. Second of all, there are two American continents, North and South, of which 35 countries belong. You don't hear Peruvians, Argentinians, Canadiens, or Guatemalans shouting "Merica" like a bunch of Pavlovian dogs.

I always found it interesting how the US adopted the word america into their own name, like they are the only one. Basically, I live in the United Provinces of America.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I always found it interesting how the US adopted the word america into their own name, like they are the only one. Basically, I live in the United Provinces of America.
    true but Oh Canada is easier to sing. the other way is rather clunky, dont cha think?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,936

Second only in obnoxious to chanting U.S.A. It's as though the world is a football or soccer match. Sometimes I so get why a close friend of mine wants to move to Brazil. Hopefully down there they don't chant, "Bra-zil, Bra-zil, Bra-zil".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,653
    edited September 2016
    Wrong thread
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    brianlux said:

Second only in obnoxious to chanting U.S.A. It's as though the world is a football or soccer match. Sometimes I so get why a close friend of mine wants to move to Brazil. Hopefully down there they don't chant, "Bra-zil, Bra-zil, Bra-zil".
    They have different ways of expressing their loyalties in Brazil at sporting events ...

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    Jason P said:

brianlux said:

They have different ways of expressing their loyalties in Brazil at sporting events ...

and they have shit in their water...
  • Options
    Jason P said:

brianlux said:

Sure that's not just a combination soccer game/ puck concert mosh-pit-in-the-stands?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    So does CK sit tomorrow? 911? I think if he sits tomorrow then he's a punk who should be run out of the league...any other game fine, but not tomorrow...so many people from so many different backgrounds perished that day...so we'll see if.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,271
    lukin2006 said:

So does CK sit tomorrow? 911? I think if he sits tomorrow then he's a punk who should be run out of the league...any other game fine, but not tomorrow...so many people from so many different backgrounds perished that day...so we'll see if.

If he is protesting against police brutality, whigh he is, why should he stand and honor all of the police who died that day?

If we are going to equate the anthem with patriotism on 9/11, he would have to honor the military personnel who died at the Pentagon that day. We were not at war with anyone on the morning of 9/11. He can either stand and honor them, or kneel and pray and honor them. Whatever he does is not for us to decide nor judge.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited September 2016

lukin2006 said:

If he is protesting against police brutality, whigh he is, why should he stand and honor all of the police who died that day?

If we are going to equate the anthem with patriotism on 9/11, he would have to honor the military personnel who died at the Pentagon that day. We were not at war with anyone on the morning of 9/11. He can either stand and honor them, or kneel and pray and honor them. Whatever he does is not for us to decide nor judge.
    Because obviously many other non police perished that day. But in defence of the police that day, they were running towards the World Trade Center as all first responders were, while most everyone else were running away from the building...

Certain days deserve more respect than other days, d-day, pearl harbour, 911 and I'm sure others...

Most Sundays I say feel free to sit or go shit on the flag if he chooses...

I just realized that 911 was on a Sunday at the start of the NFL season, so this is the first I gave thought to signicant days...
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    9-11 being such a solemn day then why the fuck is the NFL even having games? Whats that? To make a shit load of money? Oh yeah , thats right.

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Well.....Kap doesn't play till Monday night.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

Well.....Kap doesn't play till Monday night.

Oooops...didn't check out the NFL schedule, still would think the Monday night games would have 911 event planned...but maybe not.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

9-11 being such a solemn day then why the fuck is the NFL even having games? Whats that? To make a shit load of money? Oh yeah , thats right.

Totally agree with where you're going with this, Mickey.

Besides, 911 is a separate subject. We probably talk about that elsewhere later today.

• Options
    Forget games on 9/11. Why are their games on the sabbath, and why are there no official public prayers before or after the games?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    because religion and because it's about showing respect to real living people who either perished, suffered loss or are still suffering. It's not about the invisible man in the sky...not sure how religion got in this.

• Options
    if the nfl and every team as well as the networks donated the profit from this game day , that would be one thing

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

because religion and because it's about showing respect to real living people who either perished, suffered loss or are still suffering. It's not about the invisible man in the sky...not sure how religion got in this.

Have you ever taken a sports sociology course? To many people in the world, sport is religion.

• Options
    No, I don't care if I some people take sports that seriously ... it's only a game.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

No, I don't care if I some people take sports that seriously ... it's only a game.

Is PJ ONLY music then?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited September 2016

Forget games on 9/11. Why are their games on the sabbath, and why are there no official public prayers before or after the games?

They do pray before professional games. At least in OKC for NBA games. Right before the anthem. No one ever complained. New Orleans did it for ten years before that. Not sure if the Pelicans still do but the Thunder definitey still do
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options

They do pray before professional games. At least in OKC for NBA games. Right before the anthem. No one ever complained. New Orleans did it for ten years before that. Not sure if the Pelicans still do but the Thunder definitey still do
    invocation , televised, before every nascar race too.

• Options
    The ritual should match the game.

Football is a form of war (according to Carlin anyway) so maybe cannons and loud and aggressive chanting.

Basketball would definitely need to have a horn section involved.

A soccer match might be preceded by ritualistic chanting while letting a bunch of birds loose.

Boxing already has the barkers.

The Olympics would start with the ritualistic lighting of the flame only with a volunteer from the last country with the most medals tied to the pyre.

Golf tournaments would need to start with random exchanges of car keys. That would provide the most exciting part of the event.

And baseball, oh baseball. Isn't the throwing out of the first pitch kind of a cool religious experience already? Oh well, everybody had a little pre-game smoke or that first beer anyway and the sun is out so fuck it, Play ball!!

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

in my opinion, sports and current events have zero to do with each other. this goes back to why the national anthem is even sung/listened to at sports events except at interrnational events. it's bizarre.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    why does my gut tell me this behavior is tied to Kaepernick and others stance on the anthem and flag? i hope the ones that did this get tossed out of school when they are caught.

http://6abc.com/news/flags-crushed-trashed-at-sept-11-memorial-on-college-campus/1508065/
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

why does my gut tell me this behavior is tied to Kaepernick and others stance on the anthem and flag? i hope the ones that did this get tossed out of school when they are caught.

http://6abc.com/news/flags-crushed-trashed-at-sept-11-memorial-on-college-campus/1508065/

Why would you make such a connection? Are you sure your gut isn't just itching to stir things up here?