Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Rgambs. It must be complete hell for you on Saturdays in the Fall living in Columbus with all those crazy Buckeye fans!!! :lol:
    Go Buckeyes!!! :i_dunno:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PP193448 said:

Rgambs. It must be complete hell for you on Saturdays in the Fall living in Columbus with all those crazy Buckeye fans!!! :lol:

Oh it was, when I lived in Columbus. I didn't have disdain for sports until that period, I was even a Bengals fan before that!
    It wasn't just Saturdays in the fall, the entire city lost it's mind from August through February.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    rgambs said:

PP193448 said:

Oh it was, when I lived in Columbus. I didn't have disdain for sports until that period, I was even a Bengals fan before that!
    It wasn't just Saturdays in the fall, the entire city lost it's mind from August through February.
    So that's why you don't like sports! Now I get it. Ohio State fans were always the worst visiting fans. All the smugness of Notre Dame's fans combined with a large dose of assholes.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706

Is the term "white privilege" racist? If so, would "black privilege" be racist?

Is there a problem? Absolutely yes. But there are plenty of homeless whites. There are white dudes being shot by the police. Do they not have "white privilege"?

One solution may be to not put a color in front of everything (I'm sure in some minds makes me racist). How about we fix the issues?

The term white privilege is not racist, it's describing a condition that results from racism. In this case, benefits whites have, which means others lose out of the benefit we're gaining.

Minimizing racism may or may not be due to the individual's prejudice. It depends on their reasons for minimizing it. For some, it's just uncomfortable to look at.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Is there a problem? Absolutely yes. But there are plenty of homeless whites. There are white dudes being shot by the police. Do they not have "white privilege"?

One solution may be to not put a color in front of everything (I'm sure in some minds makes me racist). How about we fix the issues?

The term white privilege is not racist, it's describing a condition that results from racism. In this case, benefits whites have, which means others lose out of the benefit we're gaining.

Minimizing racism may or may not be due to the individual's prejudice. It depends on their reasons for minimizing it. For some, it's just uncomfortable to look at.
    Does an African-American co-worker of mine who has a college degree, lives in a pretty damn big house in the suburbs have white privilege? He seems to be benefiting quite well.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    No. a minority doing well doesn't have white privilege, it means the path to that point had more hurdles and barriers than a white person in the same situation.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,621
    edited September 2016

Does an African-American co-worker of mine who has a college degree, lives in a pretty damn big house in the suburbs have white privilege? He seems to be benefiting quite well.
    I don't know why I want to dive into this, but...

Are you really suggesting that white people in general aren't born with more opportunities before them?

Shit, I am a white, straight, Christian (I guess), male born into an upper middle class family. I was born on 3rd base, all I had to do was show up.
  • Options
    So now we know Cliffy fits the stereotypical white privileged person. Not all white people grew up with Cliffy. But aren't there black privileged celebrity kids out there. Do Will Smiths kids have so many hurdles to jump over? Some of these stereotypes do not take any account of personal hardships and work ethic. It is complete falsehood to look at an individual at present socioeconomic status and try to define privilege without knowing the individuals past history... Someone may be well off at present time, but may have worked very hard during life to get there.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    It's not denying an white person's hard work, it's saying they had it easier. You seem to want to emphasize the individual experience over the group, which is reasonable. If you take an individual black person's experience, you'll see discrimination and prejudice in different forms. If you look at a white's experience, you'll see white privilege. Now some whites will deny the privilege, and say it's a result of their hard work exclusively. Personally, I can go through a whole list of white privilege that I've benefitted from. This benefit has come at the expense of others.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,240

It's not denying an white person's hard work, it's saying they had it easier. You seem to want to emphasize the individual experience over the group, which is reasonable. If you take an individual black person's experience, you'll see discrimination and prejudice in different forms. If you look at a white's experience, you'll see white privilege. Now some whites will deny the privilege, and say it's a result of their hard work exclusively. Personally, I can go through a whole list of white privilege that I've benefitted from. This benefit has come at the expense of others.

do your grandparents and parents know you shit on their accomplishments because i can only assume someone in your family came to this country with little or nothing yet you want to dismiss their hard work. they must be so proud of your dismissiveness
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    PP193448 said:

So now we know Cliffy fits the stereotypical white privileged person. Not all white people grew up with Cliffy. But aren't there black privileged celebrity kids out there. Do Will Smiths kids have so many hurdles to jump over? Some of these stereotypes do not take any account of personal hardships and work ethic. It is complete falsehood to look at an individual at present socioeconomic status and try to define privilege without knowing the individuals past history... Someone may be well off at present time, but may have worked very hard during life to get there.

That's why they are stereotypes and generalizations. You cannot group EVERYONE into ANY category. You can't expect there to not be outliers.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    pjhawks said:

do your grandparents and parents know you shit on their accomplishments because i can only assume someone in your family came to this country with little or nothing yet you want to dismiss their hard work. they must be so proud of your dismissiveness
    Reread the first line.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

Wow, well first you have no clue what his family history is. But also, white priviledge was way more of a thing in the old days in America than it is now, even for poor people. I think it's an absolute guarantee that anyone's white great grandparents had white priviledge.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Looks like you took it up a notch, and at the same time, reinforced what I said. I'm not shitting on their accomplishments, I'm stating a truth. My dad agrees with me. You bring up a good example of white privilege and the direct line of opportunity and wealth I can draw from my immigrant ancestors to myself. They came here in the mid 1800s, and because of the color of their skin, they were able to own land and start businesses, while blacks were still enslaved. I still benefit from this wealth and the opportunities it provided my anscestors along the way. They did do the work, and white privilege made it that much easier. Doors were opened to them that were closed to others.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.
    i'd love for him to tell me how my grandparents who came here in 1900 from Ireland with nothing and who were discriminated against in many ways benefited from white privilege. my parents grew up during the depression and my father fought in World War II at age fucking 18 to protect this country - tell me how they benefited from white privilege? fuck if i will sit back and let some blowhard tell me my grandparents and parents got what they ended up with because of white privilege and not their sweat, tears and hard work. i am not going to idly sit by and let someone disrespect those who came before me in that manner.

edit: and if Kaepernick was raised by white parents didn't he benefit from this white privilege?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Agreed. My wife comes from a blue collar neighborhood in Philly, her father died when she was 12 and her mother raised 3 kids on a shitty City Hall administrative salary. She clearly did not have the opportunities I had and we ended up in the same place. Both white. You're talking about celebrity kids talking about privilege? Sure, there are about 2 dozen of them...

That said, there are is a significantly more white folks who grew up with my circumstances than minorities, which is largely the point.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

Agreed. My wife comes from a blue collar neighborhood in Philly, her father died when she was 12 and her mother raised 3 kids on a shitty City Hall administrative salary. She clearly did not have the opportunities I had and we ended up in the same place. Both white. You're talking about celebrity kids talking about privilege? Sure, there are about 2 dozen of them...

That said, there are is a significantly more white folks who grew up with my circumstances than minorities, which is largely the point.
    almost every ethnic group was once a minority here.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.
    i'd love for him to tell me how my grandparents who came here in 1900 from Ireland with nothing and who were discriminated against in many ways benefited from white privilege. my parents grew up during the depression and my father fought in World War II at age fucking 18 to protect this country - tell me how they benefited from white privilege? fuck if i will sit back and let some blowhard tell me my grandparents and parents got what they ended up with because of white privilege and not their sweat, tears and hard work. i am not going to idly sit by and let someone disrespect those who came before me in that manner.

edit: and if Kaepernick was raised by white parents didn't he benefit from this white privilege?
    Oh, so they lived their lives under Jim Crow?
    Interesting.
    I wouldn't have guessed your white grandparents were segregated, paid in scrip, not given due process, and denied the right to vote.
    Go figure.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

What your ancestors did was obviously impressive and there are millions of similar stories, but there is no way you can convince me that the black folks who fought with your father in World War II had the same opportunities when they got home that your father did...
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

Your Irish ancestors probably did face some discrimination but once the first generation was born and spoke without accents they were essentially white Americans. Do you think your Irish ancestors had the same difficulties as freed black slaves or their children in 1900?
    Everybody can work hard, that's not the issue here. It's just that white people tend to get avenues opened up that are much more difficult for minorities.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

People get easily offended in these discussions because they think it's insulting their ancestors. Your parents got what what they got both from their hard work and their white privilege. The Irish were discriminated against, but being white, to a lesser degree over all when compared to racial minorities.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

PP193448 said:

There are significantly more whites in this country.

Listen, I'm not saying there aren't hurdles or whatever but we make it seem like the white baby born on the street to two crackheads is going to become CEO of a Fortune 500 company in 3 easy steps.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

PP193448 said:

There are significantly more whites in this country.

Listen, I'm not saying there aren't hurdles or whatever but we make it seem like the white baby born on the street to two crackheads is going to become CEO of a Fortune 500 company in 3 easy steps.
    Then we can talk percentages, the point remains the same.

No one is saying anything of the sort...
  • Options

pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

People get easily offended in these discussions because they think it's insulting their ancestors. Your parents got what what they got both from their hard work and their white privilege. The Irish were discriminated against, but being white, to a lesser degree over all when compared to racial minorities.
    oh so now it's degrees of discrimination? so some of it is/was ok? can you quantify what amount of it is ok so if i meet my grandparents somewhere in the after life i can tell them the discrimination they faced was ok because of your scale?
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

oh so now it's degrees of discrimination? so some of it is/was ok? can you quantify what amount of it is ok so if i meet my grandparents somewhere in the after life i can tell them the discrimination they faced was ok because of your scale?
    Of course there's going to be degrees of discrimination. Nowhere am I saying any of it's okay, I'm suggesting people not be in denial of white privilege. You're not insulting your family if you acknowledge it.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

Appreciate the response Cliffy. Wasn't really trying to pick on you directly. Guess I would have to agree with you to a degree +/-. :peace:
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

Of course there's going to be degrees of discrimination. Nowhere am I saying any of it's okay, I'm suggesting people not be in denial of white privilege. You're not insulting your family if you acknowledge it.
    so my grandparents were discriminated against but still benefited from white privilege? that is what you are saying. nah that's not insulting to them :smirk:
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

so my grandparents were discriminated against but still benefited from white privilege? that is what you are saying. nah that's not insulting to them :smirk:
    What's insulting about it?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

eddiec said:

pjhawks said:

Reread the first line.

I am betting that if you had been able to talk to your grandparents when they were young (obviously impossible) and asks them if they were treated differently than the black people in the community, they would have looked at you in a puzzled way and told you of course they were. That was plain to everyone, and accepted as the way it was and, in fact, the way it should be. From the big things down to the little things like drinking fountains and where you could sit in a restaurant, it was apparent that white people had more opportunity and choice.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,795
    People of various races, creeds, colors etc. are discriminated against. Each situation deserves consideration. But this is a bout African Americans and the black community. No need to compare apples and oranges here. We'll get to talking about discrimination against Orange Hitlers elsewhere.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.