Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    dignin said:

Garfield football team takes knee during national anthem prior to game Friday night

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/garfield-football-team-takes-knee-prior-to-game-friday-night/

More victims. Keep the message going. You are all repressed! There is now way one can succeed growing up in one of the most progressive regions on the face of the earth.

Seattle. It's just like the south side of Chicago. Almost.

Give up!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Jason P said:

Are you not obsessed with people playing silly instruments?

Don't try to compare art with sports, you are better than that, I'm sure of it.
    What the f**k kind of statement is this?

Art is superior to sport? According to who? You I guess.

I prefer sport to art tenfold, however I'd never dismiss blowing into a flute or pretending to be some character on stage as silly.

If you don't appreciate sport, then fair enough, but just because you were a spaz and never could fully understand the value of it... don't shit on its significance for others that do. My family is a sporting family: I played college basketball and this year my son accepted a scholarship to play basketball at university as well. Outside of punching the clock and seeing/reading horrible news, sport has offered us- among countless positive other things- a lifestyle where we stay healthy, harm nobody, and escape.

And we dig music too. My kid plays the guitar.
    Participating in sporting activities and watching them from the couch are far from the same thing. It's fandom that I hate, not sports.
    It's not that I think athletic pursuits are not worthwhile, but the obsession my fat, lazy country has with their sporting events is pathetic. If you lived in Columbus, Ohio for awhile you might begin to understand where I come from. The amount of significance we attach to what are essentially kids games is staggering and appalling.
    Hitting a major league fastball is equal to your average baseball fan in the same way that an excellent author is equal to a person reading a newspaper. Not at all.
    Artists inspire us with ideas, feelings, expressions, wisdom, even ignorance.
    Sure, athletes do inspire us, but simple admiration for talent is not in the same league.
    Advertising agencies would disagree. Michael Jordan (an above average basketball player) has inspired more people then The Beatles.
    I think that's insane, and probably pathetic. Why can't we be more inspired by people who sacrifice their lives for the greater good.
    Humans suck.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    The whole thing is hilarious. People are going nuts over a guy's silent nonviolent protest.

Ironically its a guy who was last in the news for losing his job and calling a black player the N word.

"Silly" is how i would describe this entire ordeal to my youngest child.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,845
    edited September 2016

The whole thing is hilarious. People are going nuts over a guy's silent nonviolent protest.

Ironically its a guy who was last in the news for losing his job and calling a black player the N word.

It would be silly if he was protesting that Gummy Bears don't look like real bears.

Edit: It's vaguely disturbing that the guy is protesting the treatment of black people in our society and you would describe that to your daughter as 'silly'.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Jason P said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Jason P said:

Are you not obsessed with people playing silly instruments?

Don't try to compare art with sports, you are better than that, I'm sure of it.
    What the f**k kind of statement is this?

Art is superior to sport? According to who? You I guess.

I prefer sport to art tenfold, however I'd never dismiss blowing into a flute or pretending to be some character on stage as silly.

If you don't appreciate sport, then fair enough, but just because you were a spaz and never could fully understand the value of it... don't shit on its significance for others that do. My family is a sporting family: I played college basketball and this year my son accepted a scholarship to play basketball at university as well. Outside of punching the clock and seeing/reading horrible news, sport has offered us- among countless positive other things- a lifestyle where we stay healthy, harm nobody, and escape.

And we dig music too. My kid plays the guitar.
    Participating in sporting activities and watching them from the couch are far from the same thing. It's fandom that I hate, not sports.
    It's not that I think athletic pursuits are not worthwhile, but the obsession my fat, lazy country has with their sporting events is pathetic. If you lived in Columbus, Ohio for awhile you might begin to understand where I come from. The amount of significance we attach to what are essentially kids games is staggering and appalling.
    Hitting a major league fastball is equal to your average baseball fan in the same way that an excellent author is equal to a person reading a newspaper. Not at all.
    Artists inspire us with ideas, feelings, expressions, wisdom, even ignorance.
    Sure, athletes do inspire us, but simple admiration for talent is not in the same league.
    Advertising agencies would disagree. Michael Jordan (an above average basketball player) has inspired more people then The Beatles.
    I think that's insane, and probably pathetic. Why can't we be more inspired by people who sacrifice their lives for the greater good.
    Humans suck.
    I think it's good if someone can inspire to work hard for goals. Not sure if that is the primary rational for everyone that buys a pair of sneakers, but if he can inspire someone to get up at 5 am and workout, I feel that is pretty good.

Just think of all the good inspiration that Lance Armstrong provided before we found out he was Cheaty McCheatypants. That dude accomplished a lot of great stuff even though he was ruled for cheating in an event where humans use a MACHINE to compete.

Put those fuckers on a one-speed cruiser bike and I won't judge, but when you are on a machine that costs more then the car I drive to work, by all means ROID UP!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,272
    rgambs said:

Geez RG. You abstain from the boards for weeks it seems and then you come on here to spew something like that?

Is everything okay? If you need to chat about anything pm me.

I was on vacation engaging in athletic pursuits (hiking) and I came home to be surrounded by Cleveland Browns talk from couch-welded sports fans... Quite annoying!

My batteries are recharged and life is looking good, which is precisely why my gears are grinding with such force lol
    it makes sense now.

cleveland browns fans. dont judge all of fandom by those folks.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,901
    edited September 2016
    OK, since we've veered far afield again on this thread, I'll throw in my two cents.

I'm sure some people are inspired by sports but I don't understand that. I can understand (particularly with baseball) the interest, excitement and entertainment but from my perspective, I don't understand how some are inspired by sports.

Art and music are about the creative spirit, something far less tangible than making contact with a body or a ball. Art and music pull magic out of thin air and, at its best, creates works that touche the deepest part of our soul and psyche. Speaking for myself, few things inspire to that level.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited September 2016
    eddiec said:

It would be silly if he was protesting that Gummy Bears don't look like real bears.

Edit: It's vaguely disturbing that the guy is protesting the treatment of black people in our society and you would describe that to your daughter as 'silly'.
    :lol: no its "silly" that hes doing it by kneeling and wearing cartoon socks and equally silly that people are debating it for weeks everywhere and getting so offended.

its an entertaining world.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options

I've mentioned his racial slur earlier in the thread . I've also contributed the fact that before this event and likely still... he is one of the most despised players in the NFL.

He's an idiot. And some are trying to annoint him Che Guevara.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,421
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

We're are not attending football games to delve into debates on social injustices. We are there to see skulls getting crushed!

Torts gets it!

Tortorella doesn't get shit. How he continues to have employment is beyond me.
    He gets it! And now he is Lord Comander of team USA.
    What exactly does he get? He doesn't understand the position of protest. He is basically saying if you're on my team, your rights granted under the First Amendment are taken away. He is saying if you're on my team and you try to express your rights, you will be kicked off the team because I don't agree with you. He's a complete fucktard and always has been. It's a fucking disgrace that HE is representing our country.
    That is exactly what he is saying. He is the coach. It is his team. There are RULES.

What? I can't take selfies during O.T? What about my FEELINGS???

If you don't like the rules, then there is the door and don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out.

Dumbest shit I've read from you so far. Rules are one thing. Don't go out drinking the night before a game. Show up to practice on time. Don't tweet during games. Check your equipment. Those are rules that affect the team and the game. Exercising your right to protest does not, in any way, shape, or form, affect anything on the ice. Torts is a fucking douchebag. He is now, always has been, always will be. PLain and simple.
    I'm sure if you search there is some stuff that is more dumb! I've almost 15K posts!

At least I'm not forced to root for Patrick Rapist Kane!
    I don't need to search your posts, I'm not that vindictive. And no one is forcing me to root for anyone, much less anyone that had absolutely zero evidence against them.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Haha! So you think that we think it's okay to kneel over a pre-recorded MP3 of the anthem but when Mike plays it we're all supposed to stand?
    Ben Franklin could rise from the dead, learn guitar, and play at some event and I'd still be okay with someone partaking in a peaceful protest.
    The anthem means different things to different people. I don't get butt hurt if someone doesn't lose their minds when Pearl Jam plays Breath. We just have different views of the song. A song...which is, at it's core, all the anthem is. I stand for my reasons. You stand for yours. They kneel for theirs. It doesn't mean any of us are wrong or right.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

We're are not attending football games to delve into debates on social injustices. We are there to see skulls getting crushed!

Torts gets it!

What exactly does he get? He doesn't understand the position of protest. He is basically saying if you're on my team, your rights granted under the First Amendment are taken away. He is saying if you're on my team and you try to express your rights, you will be kicked off the team because I don't agree with you. He's a complete fucktard and always has been. It's a fucking disgrace that HE is representing our country.
    That is exactly what he is saying. He is the coach. It is his team. There are RULES.

If you don't like the rules, then there is the door and don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out.

Dumbest shit I've read from you so far. Rules are one thing. Don't go out drinking the night before a game. Show up to practice on time. Don't tweet during games. Check your equipment. Those are rules that affect the team and the game. Exercising your right to protest does not, in any way, shape, or form, affect anything on the ice. Torts is a fucking douchebag. He is now, always has been, always will be. PLain and simple.
    I'm sure if you search there is some stuff that is more dumb! I've almost 15K posts!

Flyers fan?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,735
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

interesting to hear the stances of other teams ... USWNT, USA Hockey ... i find it weird someone could actually issue a press release that talks about how america is the land of freedom and liberties but at the same time say people do not have the right to wage a silent protest ...

if you are representing your country in an international competition you should stand for the Anthem. if Rapinoe doesn't want to support her country and anthem then she shouldn't be on the National team in my opinion.
    I had no idea that public displays of patriotism was a requisite for playing on the team.
    Wow, America, home of the ..... oppressed?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Torts gets it!

Flyers fan?
    Come on, man, I'm not that racist
  • Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Torts gets it!

I don't need to search your posts, I'm not that vindictive. And no one is forcing me to root for anyone, much less anyone that had absolutely zero evidence against them.
    Damn straight there isn't any evidence.

KANE IS A SAINT!
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Jason P said:

JC29856 said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Torts gets it!

Flyers fan?
    Come on, man, I'm not that racist
    Uncalled for

And even more uncalled for
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Psh. Obviously they didn't hear about 9/11 and how you can hide your racism in our flag and military support.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Torts gets it!

Damn straight there isn't any evidence.

KANE IS A SAINT!
    Wow, really? What the fuck does OJ have to do with Kane? OJ had plenty of evidence against him. Kane had zero. I never claimed he was a saint. Jesus, dude. Fucking comical.
  • Options

brianlux said:

Psh. Obviously they didn't hear about 9/11 and how you can hide your racism in our flag and military support.
    ? Not sure I follow your there, vedderman. :smile:

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,735
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Not that you asked me, but I believe he's using sarcasm to say that people hide their racism behind the guise of patriotism (the kind of "patriotism" that makes people think you HAVE to stand for the anthem or pledge), especially since 9/11. That's what I took from the post anyway. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Not that you asked me, but I believe he's using sarcasm to say that people hide their racism behind the guise of patriotism (the kind of "patriotism" that makes people think you HAVE to stand for the anthem or pledge), especially since 9/11. That's what I took from the post anyway. :)
    I see- yes, that's probably what was meant. Thanks!

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    edited September 2016
    Damn. You guys are good. That's what I was getting at. Thought maybe I wasn't reading something correctly for a second there.
    Post edited by ledvedderman on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    If your first thought after a suspect is arrested is "How am I gonna stick it to Kaepernick?"
    -You're doing life wrong.
    I like that one!
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Good for this young man for finding the strength to (literally) stand for what he believes in! Just as CK7 (figuratively) stands for a cause he believes in as well.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    67 people shot by police in last 3 weeks