Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    edited September 2016
    rgambs said:

I just can't believe people give a fuck what a back up qb on a horrible team does.

He's got the right to do that. People have the right to be pjssed. Not really too much to discuss. I think Colin was a bit surprised by how his actions were perceived by the public. It came off as anti-military. I know that's not what he meant, but many people are seeing it that way. I think it may be best for him to stay in the locker room I during the national anthem. Let's be honest, is him sitting during the anthem really going to bring one ounce of awareness to black lives?

That's just because your typical American idiot is so indoctrinated in faux patriotism they can't distinguish symbols from soldiers.
    Agreed.
    I think this controversy is ridiculous. It's amazing to me how un-American some Americans who consider themselves patriots can be. And I'm not talking about Kaepernick. To me, it seems like most people who like to spout off about American patriotism are actually the least patriotic people on the face of the planet.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,936
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

I just can't believe people give a fuck what a back up qb on a horrible team does.

He's got the right to do that. People have the right to be pjssed. Not really too much to discuss. I think Colin was a bit surprised by how his actions were perceived by the public. It came off as anti-military. I know that's not what he meant, but many people are seeing it that way. I think it may be best for him to stay in the locker room I during the national anthem. Let's be honest, is him sitting during the anthem really going to bring one ounce of awareness to black lives?

That's just because your typical American idiot is so indoctrinated in faux patriotism they can't distinguish symbols from soldiers.
    Agreed.
    I think this controversy is ridiculous. It's amazing to me how un-American some Americans who consider themselves patriots can be. And I'm not talking about Kaepernick. To me, it seems like most people who like to spout off about American patriotism are actually the least patriotic people on the face of the planet.
    Yes and yes. Totally agree.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

why does my gut tell me this behavior is tied to Kaepernick and others stance on the anthem and flag? i hope the ones that did this get tossed out of school when they are caught.

http://6abc.com/news/flags-crushed-trashed-at-sept-11-memorial-on-college-campus/1508065/

Why would you make such a connection? Are you sure your gut isn't just itching to stir things up here?
    do you believe that these idiots would have had the balls to rip up and take out almost 3000 American flags from a 9/11 Memorial without Kaepernick having started his protest a few weeks ago? no way. if they did this without what Kaepernick started there would be no one defending their actions. no doubt in my mind it's an offshoot of it.

edit: and i don't come to stir things up. that's not something i do. i offer my opinions and if someone wants to disagree that is their prerogative. i happen to have a very strong opinion on what happened at the college 9/11 Memorial. i find their actions utterly deplorable and disgusting.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,653
    pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

why does my gut tell me this behavior is tied to Kaepernick and others stance on the anthem and flag? i hope the ones that did this get tossed out of school when they are caught.

http://6abc.com/news/flags-crushed-trashed-at-sept-11-memorial-on-college-campus/1508065/

Why would you make such a connection? Are you sure your gut isn't just itching to stir things up here?
    do you believe that these idiots would have had the balls to rip up and take out almost 3000 American flags from a 9/11 Memorial without Kaepernick having started his protest a few weeks ago? no way. if they did this without what Kaepernick started there would be no one defending their actions. no doubt in my mind it's an offshoot of it.

edit: and i don't come to stir things up. that's not something i do. i offer my opinions and if someone wants to disagree that is their prerogative. i happen to have a very strong opinion on what happened at the college 9/11 Memorial. i find their actions utterly deplorable and disgusting.
    Well, yes, probably but Come on man. Personal responsibility. Grow up and hold the actual people responsible for their actions rather than creating a scapegoat. You're fucking grasping at straws hard here...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,339
    brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

since a note left included 1.4 million plus Iraqis in the memorium, I'd say no, Brian.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

In these current days of social media and "me, me, me ,me" attitude, yes I do believe these idiots would have the cowardice to rip up American flags from a 9/11 memorial. It's not that far-fetched. People do worse shit on a daily basis.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,229
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

Well, yes, probably but Come on man. Personal responsibility. Grow up and hold the actual people responsible for their actions rather than creating a scapegoat. You're fucking grasping at straws hard here...
    a direct quote, albeit a very short passage from a very long original message, from the group that did this. so uhh yea...no straws

"Historically, the American flag and subsequent American nationalist symbols, have been polarizing and marginalizing to people of color living within the United States. This has been most recently exemplified in Colin Kaepernick's protest of the American national anthem."

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Colin was responsible for 9/11!! Hold the press!!! I was wrong, he is a grade A asshole.

;)
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,778
    The funny thing about this whole situation is the pro-Kaepernick's people get all up in arms when someone disagrees with it. Trent Dilfer is getting killed because he said that it's a distraction to the team. It's pretty simple...Kaepernick has the right to protest and people have the right to not like it.

Also, could ESPN have been any more excited about the anthem last night??? I get that it's a story but jesus christ, they need to take it down a notch.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

a direct quote, albeit a very short passage from a very long original message, from the group that did this. so uhh yea...no straws

"Historically, the American flag and subsequent American nationalist symbols, have been polarizing and marginalizing to people of color living within the United States. This has been most recently exemplified in Colin Kaepernick's protest of the American national anthem."

Got it...so it's not actually the fault/responsibility of the people who carry out the act, it's the fault/responsibility of someone they have never met, spoken to or have anything remotely associated or to do with aside from a sentence they wrote...

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    too much pride to see the truth ...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    edited September 2016
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2016/09/12/adam-jones-orioles-colin-kaepernick-white-mans-sport/90260326/

Adam Jones on MLB's Orioles lack of Kaepernick protest, *baseball is a white man's sport*.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

Got it...so it's not actually the fault/responsibility of the people who carry out the act, it's the fault/responsibility of someone they have never met, spoken to or have anything remotely associated or to do with aside from a sentence they wrote...

oh no those aholes should be prosecuted for the vandalism but to say they weren't inspired by what kaepernick started is just foolish. kaepernick opened this can of worms and now idiots are running with it. not sure how you can deny that.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

oh no those aholes should be prosecuted for the vandalism but to say they weren't inspired by what kaepernick started is just foolish. kaepernick opened this can of worms and now idiots are running with it. not sure how you can deny that.
    Kaepernick opened a can of worms that this country has racial issues? I had never heard of this issue before him.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

Kaepernick opened a can of worms that this country has racial issues? I had never heard of this issue before him.
    no he opened the can of worms of idiots doing meaningless 'look at me' protests that does absolutely nothing to help the problem. do you really think disrespecting others and/or vandalism is a way to achieve a goal?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

no he opened the can of worms of idiots doing meaningless 'look at me' protests that does absolutely nothing to help the problem. do you really think disrespecting others and/or vandalism is a way to achieve a goal?
    Aside from the fact that Kaepernick hasn't disrespected anyone. If people are upset, that's their own problem. He has very clearly stated why he is doing it and there is absolutely zero disrespect in any of it. Why would anyone take a thought out position and peaceful and silent protest as a motivation to vandalize anything?

People are going to be butt hurt at any type of protest. That's kind of the point of a protest.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

In what way did Kaepernick engage in vandalism?

No, seriously, you keep trying to tie these two disparate issues together. That just doesn't hold up.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zJL9JuOLQ</blockquote

South Park is still my favorite show. They just hit the nail on the head everytime. It's my therapy...

Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

No, seriously, you keep trying to tie these two disparate issues together. That just doesn't hold up.
    Things are connected. It's not just lightning in a bottle. It's not Kapernick's fault for other events happening but his actions may have contributed to it.

Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

Things are connected. It's not just lightning in a bottle. It's not Kapernick's fault for other events happening but his actions may have contributed to it.

Things are connected, sure. Eddie Vedder is probably the cousin of mine 12 times removed. I think I'll call him up and have him over for a beer or two tonight.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I support his right to do as he chooses during the national anthem ... free country.

But protesting yesterday 15 years after 911, on the weekend when the NFL would obviously be commemorating that day was a punk ass move. Any other day no problem. Certain events in our history need to be respected and 911 is one of those. Maybe they should just remove the national anthem from the opening ceremonies at all sporting events.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    edited September 2016

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

One black person is upset about race issues in the US and engages in a peaceful protest on a national scale

Other black people are upset about race issues in the US and engage in awful behavior because they are idiots

These things are connected issues, but not connected protests...
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

Aside from the fact that Kaepernick hasn't disrespected anyone. If people are upset, that's their own problem. He has very clearly stated why he is doing it and there is absolutely zero disrespect in any of it. Why would anyone take a thought out position and peaceful and silent protest as a motivation to vandalize anything?

People are going to be butt hurt at any type of protest. That's kind of the point of a protest.
    seems like some people are butt hurt by my thoughts on Kaepernick.

most protests are meaningless attention grabbing does nothing to help the problem except get people on tv deals. let's see what all these NFL players actually do to help the issue. call me in a year and show me one thing any of these guys have done to help the problem. my guess is it will be very little to none.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

I support his right to do as he chooses during the national anthem ... free country.

But protesting yesterday 15 years after 911, on the weekend when the NFL would obviously be commemorating that day was a punk ass move. Any other day no problem. Certain events in our history need to be respected and 911 is one of those. Maybe they should just remove the national anthem from the opening ceremonies at all sporting events.

Kaepernick protested on 9/11? News to me.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

most protests are meaningless attention grabbing does nothing to help the problem except get people on tv deals. let's see what all these NFL players actually do to help the issue. call me in a year and show me one thing any of these guys have done to help the problem. my guess is it will be very little to none.

Aside from the fact that Kaepernick has already pledged a million dollars?

In what why do I seem butt hurt? Because I disagree with you? Grow up dude...
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

Kaepernick protested on 9/11? News to me.
    no but only because they played on 9/12 and not 9/11. he did kneel as they did a 9/11 tribute for the Anthem before the game last night though. some other players on other teams did kneel on 9/11.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

Aside from the fact that Kaepernick has already pledged a million dollars?

In what why do I seem butt hurt? Because I disagree with you? Grow up dude...
    anyone can pledge (like Trump did with veterans groups). let's see the check when it clears. again let's see what has been done in about a year from now.

lighten up Cliffy. it was sarcasm on the butt hurt comment. i guess it didn't come across that way.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Well, he's raised a shitload of awareness. We don't need to be a year removed from now to know that.