pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

why does my gut tell me this behavior is tied to Kaepernick and others stance on the anthem and flag? i hope the ones that did this get tossed out of school when they are caught.

http://6abc.com/news/flags-crushed-trashed-at-sept-11-memorial-on-college-campus/1508065/

Why would you make such a connection? Are you sure your gut isn't just itching to stir things up here?
    do you believe that these idiots would have had the balls to rip up and take out almost 3000 American flags from a 9/11 Memorial without Kaepernick having started his protest a few weeks ago? no way. if they did this without what Kaepernick started there would be no one defending their actions. no doubt in my mind it's an offshoot of it.

edit: and i don't come to stir things up. that's not something i do. i offer my opinions and if someone wants to disagree that is their prerogative. i happen to have a very strong opinion on what happened at the college 9/11 Memorial. i find their actions utterly deplorable and disgusting.
    Well, yes, probably but Come on man. Personal responsibility. Grow up and hold the actual people responsible for their actions rather than creating a scapegoat. You're fucking grasping at straws hard here...
    a direct quote, albeit a very short passage from a very long original message, from the group that did this. so uhh yea...no straws

"Historically, the American flag and subsequent American nationalist symbols, have been polarizing and marginalizing to people of color living within the United States. This has been most recently exemplified in Colin Kaepernick's protest of the American national anthem."

Got it...so it's not actually the fault/responsibility of the people who carry out the act, it's the fault/responsibility of someone they have never met, spoken to or have anything remotely associated or to do with aside from a sentence they wrote...

oh no those aholes should be prosecuted for the vandalism but to say they weren't inspired by what kaepernick started is just foolish. kaepernick opened this can of worms and now idiots are running with it. not sure how you can deny that.
    Kaepernick opened a can of worms that this country has racial issues? I had never heard of this issue before him.
    no he opened the can of worms of idiots doing meaningless 'look at me' protests that does absolutely nothing to help the problem. do you really think disrespecting others and/or vandalism is a way to achieve a goal?
    Aside from the fact that Kaepernick hasn't disrespected anyone. If people are upset, that's their own problem. He has very clearly stated why he is doing it and there is absolutely zero disrespect in any of it. Why would anyone take a thought out position and peaceful and silent protest as a motivation to vandalize anything?

People are going to be butt hurt at any type of protest. That's kind of the point of a protest.
    seems like some people are butt hurt by my thoughts on Kaepernick.

most protests are meaningless attention grabbing does nothing to help the problem except get people on tv deals. let's see what all these NFL players actually do to help the issue. call me in a year and show me one thing any of these guys have done to help the problem. my guess is it will be very little to none.

Aside from the fact that Kaepernick has already pledged a million dollars?

In what why do I seem butt hurt? Because I disagree with you? Grow up dude...
    anyone can pledge (like Trump did with veterans groups). let's see the check when it clears. again let's see what has been done in about a year from now.

lighten up Cliffy. it was sarcasm on the butt hurt comment. i guess it didn't come across that way.
    Not sure how you can really compare the two. One just sounds off and the other seems have put a lot of thought into this. Even you agreed with that.

All good.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

I support his right to do as he chooses during the national anthem ... free country.

But protesting yesterday 15 years after 911, on the weekend when the NFL would obviously be commemorating that day was a punk ass move. Any other day no problem. Certain events in our history need to be respected and 911 is one of those. Maybe they should just remove the national anthem from the opening ceremonies at all sporting events.

Kaepernick protested on 9/11? News to me.
    Monday night football is an extension of the Sunday games and are typically included in all ceremonies that would have taken place before the Sunday games. Sorry I was specific enough for you.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

why does my gut tell me this behavior is tied to Kaepernick and others stance on the anthem and flag? i hope the ones that did this get tossed out of school when they are caught.

http://6abc.com/news/flags-crushed-trashed-at-sept-11-memorial-on-college-campus/1508065/

Why would you make such a connection? Are you sure your gut isn't just itching to stir things up here?
    do you believe that these idiots would have had the balls to rip up and take out almost 3000 American flags from a 9/11 Memorial without Kaepernick having started his protest a few weeks ago? no way. if they did this without what Kaepernick started there would be no one defending their actions. no doubt in my mind it's an offshoot of it.

edit: and i don't come to stir things up. that's not something i do. i offer my opinions and if someone wants to disagree that is their prerogative. i happen to have a very strong opinion on what happened at the college 9/11 Memorial. i find their actions utterly deplorable and disgusting.
    Well, yes, probably but Come on man. Personal responsibility. Grow up and hold the actual people responsible for their actions rather than creating a scapegoat. You're fucking grasping at straws hard here...
    a direct quote, albeit a very short passage from a very long original message, from the group that did this. so uhh yea...no straws

"Historically, the American flag and subsequent American nationalist symbols, have been polarizing and marginalizing to people of color living within the United States. This has been most recently exemplified in Colin Kaepernick's protest of the American national anthem."

Got it...so it's not actually the fault/responsibility of the people who carry out the act, it's the fault/responsibility of someone they have never met, spoken to or have anything remotely associated or to do with aside from a sentence they wrote...

oh no those aholes should be prosecuted for the vandalism but to say they weren't inspired by what kaepernick started is just foolish. kaepernick opened this can of worms and now idiots are running with it. not sure how you can deny that.
    Kaepernick opened a can of worms that this country has racial issues? I had never heard of this issue before him.
    no he opened the can of worms of idiots doing meaningless 'look at me' protests that does absolutely nothing to help the problem. do you really think disrespecting others and/or vandalism is a way to achieve a goal?
    In what way did Kaepernick engage in vandalism?

No, seriously, you keep trying to tie these two disparate issues together. That just doesn't hold up.
    Things are connected. It's not just lightning in a bottle. It's not Kapernick's fault for other events happening but his actions may have contributed to it.

One black person is upset about race issues in the US and engages in a peaceful protest on a national scale

Other black people are upset about race issues in the US and engage in awful behavior because they are idiots

These things are connected issues, but not connected protests...
    Good way to put it.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

In what way did Kaepernick engage in vandalism?

No, seriously, you keep trying to tie these two disparate issues together. That just doesn't hold up.
    Things are connected. It's not just lightning in a bottle. It's not Kapernick's fault for other events happening but his actions may have contributed to it.

Things are connected, sure. Eddie Vedder is probably the cousin of mine 12 times removed. I think I'll call him up and have him over for a beer or two tonight.
    You wish.
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

It's not a meaningless "look at me" protest. Kaep is not doing this for publicity. Is he using his celebrity status to bring attention to the issue? Absoutely, and that's a good thing. But it's not a cash grab.
    Now, if others misinterpret his intentions and vandalize property, that is on them and them ONLY. Kaep is not actively encouraging people to destroy property and be hateful. In fact, the intentions of his protest are the exact opposite - to stop fear and hatred.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,339
    pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

I support his right to do as he chooses during the national anthem ... free country.

But protesting yesterday 15 years after 911, on the weekend when the NFL would obviously be commemorating that day was a punk ass move. Any other day no problem. Certain events in our history need to be respected and 911 is one of those. Maybe they should just remove the national anthem from the opening ceremonies at all sporting events.

Kaepernick protested on 9/11? News to me.
    no but only because they played on 9/12 and not 9/11. he did kneel as they did a 9/11 tribute for the Anthem before the game last night though. some other players on other teams did kneel on 9/11.
    huh. i heard he was standing for the tribute then took a knee.
    in case you were unaware, the military exists to serve the Constitution.not be placed above it. that was my take during my induction.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,936
    Let me get this straight: Kaeprnick knelt during a 9/11 ceremony and someone has a problem with that? Did I read that correctly?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Regardless of whether his protests are in poor taste, he has the right to do it. I'm not sure why it's still an issue.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

On a side note, how many of you while about to watch a sporting event stand at home for the National Anthem being played? Hand over heart? Even pay attention to it being played? (playing devil's advocate here).

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Regardless of whether his protests are in poor taste, he has the right to do it. I'm not sure why it's still an issue.

right. HOW he did it is more important than WHY. Which really says , no, all lives DONT matter, despite some counter statements to black lives matter movement.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I got bad news for Kap. This is as good as it's going to get. Whitey is taking back over the white house. Consider yourself fucked.

Give up. Lose all hope. Beats are overpriced. Woe is you.
  • Options
    Antonio Brown humped the air after scoring a touchdown... where is the uproar?!! What a disgrace! There are children watching this game!
  • Options

Antonio Brown humped the air after scoring a touchdown... where is the uproar?!! What a disgrace! There are children watching this game!

Lol.

You're just mad because you were cheering for the skins! He was penalized wasn't he?

To the topic, I'm waiting to see funds delivered by Kap to the agencies he promised them to. Once he does this... I'll have some respect for him. Until that time, I'll continue to think what I have come to understand of him even prior to his attention seeking stunt- he's one of the most unliked players in the NFL for his poor character and his move was not one borne from deep rooted sentiments on the matter... it was one borne from a need to be relevant.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Can you imagine if Tebow was still in the NFL and did this... Holy shit the backlash... :get_outta_here:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options

Lol.

You're just mad because you were cheering for the skins! He was penalized wasn't he?

To the topic, I'm waiting to see funds delivered by Kap to the agencies he promised them to. Once he does this... I'll have some respect for him. Until that time, I'll continue to think what I have come to understand of him even prior to his attention seeking stunt- he's one of the most unliked players in the NFL for his poor character and his move was not one borne from deep rooted sentiments on the matter... it was one borne from a need to be relevant.
    to be fair, he just did it. it was after the fact that a reporter noticed the film. wasnt anything flashy or attention drawing that I saw initially. he was then interveiwed and stated very succinctly why he did so. media, like 5 yr olds on a soccer field went after it.

nor is he the first black athlete to have staged some form of protest on a national and international stage..

so all of the backlash is really saying all lives matter, EXCEPT YOU AND YOURS.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here but it wasn't until 2009 that NFL players were on the sidelines during the national anthem.
    They were in the locker room and came on the field after playing of the national anthem.

They were moved to the sideline during the anthem as part of the NFL marketing for the military.

Not saying this was good or bad. Just pointing it out.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,653

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but it wasn't until 2009 that NFL players were on the sidelines during the national anthem.
    They were in the locker room and came on the field after playing of the national anthem.

They were moved to the sideline during the anthem as part of the NFL marketing for the military.

PAID marketing for the military that was paid for by the military and your tax dollars...

• Options

Lol.

Just being facetious. I didn't even watch the game. :tongue:
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

PAID marketing for the military that was paid for by the military and your tax dollars...

exactly ... it's part of the machine to keep americans blind to what is really happening ...

the racism in america is institutionalized and it goes well beyond cops shooting unarmed black men ... having said that - I do believe it's shifting slightly to be an oppression of class more and more ... specifically economic class ...
  • Options

Lol.

Just being facetious. I didn't even watch the game. :tongue:
    I know. I'm just goofing around with you.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    I just assumed his legs were sore from earning $19 by sitting on a bench 16 Sundays a year.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    edited September 2016

And there is a LOT of military propaganda going on at NFL games btw. They have people in the military specifically assigned to brainwashing sports fans. And they pay the NFL to do it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    You are all missing the issue. Kapernick is doing this because of his new girlfriend. He is pussy whipped. This is a societal issue that needs to be dealt with, and it is always ignored by the mainstream media.
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747

You are all missing the issue. Kapernick is doing this because of his new girlfriend. He is pussy whipped. This is a societal issue that needs to be dealt with, and it is always ignored by the mainstream media.

:lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,936

AKA: PW and HP. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    interesting to hear the stances of other teams ... USWNT, USA Hockey ... i find it weird someone could actually issue a press release that talks about how america is the land of freedom and liberties but at the same time say people do not have the right to wage a silent protest ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

interesting to hear the stances of other teams ... USWNT, USA Hockey ... i find it weird someone could actually issue a press release that talks about how america is the land of freedom and liberties but at the same time say people do not have the right to wage a silent protest ...

yeah, we're quirky that way.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    polaris_x said:

if you are representing your country in an international competition you should stand for the Anthem. if Rapinoe doesn't want to support her country and anthem then she shouldn't be on the National team in my opinion.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

if you are representing your country in an international competition you should stand for the Anthem. if Rapinoe doesn't want to support her country and anthem then she shouldn't be on the National team in my opinion.
    Exactly ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon