Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

interesting to hear the stances of other teams ... USWNT, USA Hockey ... i find it weird someone could actually issue a press release that talks about how america is the land of freedom and liberties but at the same time say people do not have the right to wage a silent protest ...

if you are representing your country in an international competition you should stand for the Anthem. if Rapinoe doesn't want to support her country and anthem then she shouldn't be on the National team in my opinion.
    It seems to me that making use of those vaunted freedoms and liberties is exactly how one might best represent support for the country and its values, but apparently not. I guess she should have just carried a gun instead.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277

pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

interesting to hear the stances of other teams ... USWNT, USA Hockey ... i find it weird someone could actually issue a press release that talks about how america is the land of freedom and liberties but at the same time say people do not have the right to wage a silent protest ...

if you are representing your country in an international competition you should stand for the Anthem. if Rapinoe doesn't want to support her country and anthem then she shouldn't be on the National team in my opinion.
    It seems to me that making use of those vaunted freedoms and liberties is exactly how one might best represent support for the country and its values, but apparently not. I guess she should have just carried a gun instead.
    a bigger protest would be NOT playing on the National team, but that would actually entail making a personal sacrifice.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    edited September 2016
    It might be a big deal for the first game but then people would soon forget about it. Kneeling every game is much more of a significant and lasting protest.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

so ... standing for the anthem is what makes you an american? ... paying tribute to soldiers!? ... fighting for injustice is not being american?

it's interesting that people think standing for an anthem ... an anthem that has the lines land of the free, home of the brave ... is more important than the inequalities and social injustices being done ...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

a bigger protest would be NOT playing on the National team, but that would actually entail making a personal sacrifice.
    How do you protest if you don't show up? Who notices if you're not even there?

She's already making a personal sacrifice. It entails dealing with the sort of crap being posted here.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,911
    Don't be symbol minded.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,422
    lukin2006 said:

pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

Exactly ...
    Who said she isn't supporting her country?
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

so ... standing for the anthem is what makes you an american? ... paying tribute to soldiers!? ... fighting for injustice is not being american?

it's interesting that people think standing for an anthem ... an anthem that has the lines land of the free, home of the brave ... is more important than the inequalities and social injustices being done ...
    Bingo!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,725

pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

Engaging in conformist pre-game rituals is why veterans made all those sacrifices.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    We're are not attending football games to delve into debates on social injustices. We are there to see skulls getting crushed!

Torts gets it!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    for all those above you took offense to my comments on Rapinoe and the national team I re-post John Tortorella's comments regarding this issue. Torts is the coach of the US National Hockey team that begins play in the World Cup of Hockey tomorrow. Comments I agree 100% with but he just said it better.

"Listen," he told reporters. "We're in a great country because we can express ourselves. And I am not against expressing yourselves. That's what's great about our country. We can do that. But when there are men and women that give their lives for their flag, for their anthem, have given their lives, continue to put themselves on the line with our services for our flag, for our anthem, families that have been disrupted, traumatic physical injuries, traumatic mental injuries for these people that give us the opportunity to do the things we want to do, there's no chance an anthem and a flag should come into any type of situation where you're trying to make a point.

"It is probably the most disrespectful thing you can do as a U.S. citizen is to bring that in. Because that's our symbol. All for [expressing] yourself. That's what's so great. Everybody does. But no chance when it comes to the flag and the anthem. No chance."
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

for all those above you took offense to my comments on Rapinoe and the national team I re-post John Tortorella's comments regarding this issue. Torts is the coach of the US National Hockey team that begins play in the World Cup of Hockey tomorrow. Comments I agree 100% with but he just said it better.

"Listen," he told reporters. "We're in a great country because we can express ourselves. And I am not against expressing yourselves. That's what's great about our country. We can do that. But when there are men and women that give their lives for their flag, for their anthem, have given their lives, continue to put themselves on the line with our services for our flag, for our anthem, families that have been disrupted, traumatic physical injuries, traumatic mental injuries for these people that give us the opportunity to do the things we want to do, there's no chance an anthem and a flag should come into any type of situation where you're trying to make a point.

"It is probably the most disrespectful thing you can do as a U.S. citizen is to bring that in. Because that's our symbol. All for [expressing] yourself. That's what's so great. Everybody does. But no chance when it comes to the flag and the anthem. No chance."

So another offended white guy entitled to dictate what's acceptable protest? Sounds like he should go to his safe space. He actually may need that space after telling vets they fought for a song and a fabric symbol.
  • Options
    Why give your life for a symbol or a song? A loved one, yes. The planet, possibly. But for a symbol or a song? No. Would you?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Jason P said:

We're are not attending football games to delve into debates on social injustices. We are there to see skulls getting crushed!

Torts gets it!

Tortorella doesn't get shit. How he continues to have employment is beyond me.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

If any of those service men and women actually gave their lives for a piece of fabric or a song, they were sadly misled. I am guessing, though, that if you could ask them that would not be the answer that they would give.
  • Options
    Geezuz people.

Nobody serves a 'piece of cloth'.

The flag represents the entire spectrum of the country's history and to some degree hope for the future. Of course there are periods of shame and current struggles, but every country is still working on getting it right. Look at the discussions on these forums.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Geezuz people.

Nobody serves a 'piece of cloth'.

The flag represents the entire spectrum of the country's history and to some degree hope for the future. Of course there are periods of shame and current struggles, but every country is still working on getting it right. Look at the discussions on these forums.

I suppose very view have actually served or died for a piece of cloth or a song but from at the very most WWII on, how many North Americans (among others) who fought and died, did so for a justifiable cause? In Korea? Vietnam? Iraq and the middle east? How many of the millions were worth losing, really?

• Options
    Don't get me wrong: I'm not a fan of war.

Among many things... I'm a fan of respect though.
  • Options

I like respect to, which is why vets shouldn't be used as currency in an argument.
  • Options

I like respect to, which is why vets shouldn't be used as currency in an argument.
    And this is why Kap kidnapping their moment to make his stance was wrong.

As I said before... a BLM sticker on his helmet would have been far better.
  • Options

Sticker schmiker. That's no protest. A protest is doing something to disrupt a given routine that people have projected meaning on. It didn't rile my dad, a vet, because he sees what the pre game song is and also has the ability to empathize with the people engaged in the protest and can validate their experience.
  • Options

Sticker schmiker. That's no protest. A protest is doing something to disrupt a given routine that people have projected meaning on. It didn't rile my dad, a vet, because he sees what the pre game song is and also has the ability to empathize with the people engaged in the protest and can validate their experience.
    True!

Besides that, Kaepernick wasn't specifically protesting war or vets.

• Options
    brianlux said:

True!

He wasn't exactly paying respect either.

Sticker shmicker works two ways.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Jason P said:

Torts gets it!

Tortorella doesn't get shit. How he continues to have employment is beyond me.
    He gets it! And now he is Lord Comander of team USA.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    pjhawks said:

Seriously though, Tortorella is a tool. The idiot had to be held back from trying to get into the Flames dressing room to fight a few years back.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Right on, thank you Jesse.

• Options
    brianlux said:

True!

It's amazing how many people don't understand this.