Options

Lost in the Lottery - I AM PISSED!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    gmonet said:

Turd means piece of shit, right?. I'll stay with it. Referencing your niece means you have no kids of your own so you get to be a selfish.turd.

Did I mention I got all of my requests? Again, people getting no tix is wrong - period.

Saltzy - you paid $225 for Pearl Jam's 10 song debacle in Central Park? You're a turd too. I get it, this is all new to you. Probably came on in 2011. Your posts are cute.

I have a son and he will be road tripping with us to the shows we picked and won, I didn't reference him because he is not as spoiled and whiney as you, but my niece is.
    Your deal where you try to be the smart guy and guess at who I am is as sad as your bitter rantings about sellouts.
    I am going to leave you to your personal insults and bitter beans, I shouldn't be sinking to your level.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    wres96wres96 Posts: 9
    edited January 2016
    Gmonet cry cry cry... You sound like a rich kid who didn't get what they wanted at Christmas... Grow up!!
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,032
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by GirlLovesPJ on
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    wres96 said:

Gmonet cry cry cry... You sound like a rich kid who didn't get what they wanted at Christmas... Grow up!!

Yep.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

jmug23 said:

jmug23 said:

jmug23 said:

PP193448 said:

The only thing that can be done with the lottery to make it more "fair" is to limit the number of shows you can win to like 2-3. That way more people have opportunities to go to shows instead of getting shut out, especially considering that the band continues to limit the number of venues they play. I would agree that it sucks that there are some people that score tics to 4-5 shows while others get completely shut out. That's the lottery, with random drawing... There is room for improvement. Just try to score tickets from TM or from another fan club member. Still good possibilities for tickets.

But the reason people are getting 4 or 5 shows is because they are choosing wisely and no one else wanted shows 2-5 as a priority. It's pretty simple. If you absolutely have to have 10 club tickets or GA, go for the low priority shows. People who gambled on NY, Pa and whatever other shows that had a 10% chance took a huge risk. It's easy to get "shut out" when your picking 4 shows that all have 10% odds. Conversely, it's easy to win 4-5 shows when you choose wisely for the shows that are in lesser demand. I would have loved to have seen them in NY. However I wasn't willing to gamble on those odds, so I chose a show with much better odds and won.
    again, "choosing wisely" assumes a certain level of disposable cash and the ability to travel. This isn't possible for a lot of people. It doesn't make them choosing poorly. It means they can't travel 5-10 hours away for a show.
    I totally get that in your situation. Unfortunately you appear to live close to one of the most densly populated areas in the country. I'm more referring to the people who stated they missed out on 10 shows. If you put in for 6-10 shows, then you were planning on doing some serious traveling. So my point is, if you put in for 10 shows, you didn't make smart decisions. You may have gone for shows that were in the cities you wanted to visit the most, but you didn't choose the shows that gave you great odds. Multiple venues were almost guaranteed for reserve seating.
    Right, but there are a lot of folks on here that did just what you suggested and came up empty, where as others got 3 tickets in the most concentrated markets. I don't blame anyone for not being super thrilled about that.
    People did what? I think I got a little confused with my last post. My point was, if you were able to put in 10 picks, and didn't get one ticket, it's because you didn't pick wisely. You took too big of a gamble picking both NY and both Philly shows and putting GA first. Yeah, some people got tickets that way because they were the lucky 10-20%,but most didn't. When your putting all those high demand shows as your first four picks, you are taking a huge gamble. If some of these people that had the travel means to choose 10 shows would have picked the shows down south, they would have walked away with tickets to 4 or 5 shows.
    People put in for 8-10 shows, some were not the high demand areas, and got nothing.

Again, there are a lot of us that can't travel because of the cost, the time off, etc. Being limited in that sense doesn't have anything to do with picking wisely. If I can't physically go, I can't go.

I'm really troubled by this continued idea that it's no big deal to travel and drop tons of money on multiple shows that are hours away. This is not the reality for many fans.
    Give us an example of one person who put in a request for a reserved ticket for the Raleigh, Columbia or Jacksonville show as their first, second or even third choice and didn't get it.

I got Raleigh & Columbia as my 5th & 6th choices because I looked at the odds of getting tickets for these shows and knew they were pretty much a sure thing.

I even went for Toronto tickets...these had pretty low odds...not Philly or MSG numbers, but almost.
    I knew if I had any chance of scoring this show, it had to be my #1 choice, because there would probably be no tickets left for a second round.
    I got these too!!
    I will admit I'm pretty fortunate and that I can afford to travel pretty much anywhere I like to see my favorite band perform...and while I'd love to see them play at MSG, I've been to enough shows to know that when the lights go down, I'll have just as much fun seeing them in Raleigh NC or Ottawa ON or Missoula MT or Moline, IL as I would at MSG!!
    :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    there were several members in this thread, and several other trending threads that have this issue. I'm pretty sure this is a thing that is happening and they're not making it up.
  • Options

there were several members in this thread, and several other trending threads that have this issue. I'm pretty sure this is a thing that is happening and they're not making it up.

Find us one example of someone going for a reserved ticket for one of these low demand shows as their 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice and quote it in the thread!!
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited January 2016
    derbydave said:

Find us one example of someone going for a reserved ticket for one of these low demand shows as their 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice and quote it in the thread!!
    In addition, find us an example of someone prioritizing MSG or Philly Reserved and losing to post to the thread.
  • Options
    I indicated where they were.

I find it incredibly disappointing that this forum has become so aggressive and mean when someone posts a dissenting comment.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,614
    edited January 2016

CW55354 said:

"That being said I have been a U2 fan club member for 10+ years and during their fan club draws I have ALWAYS managed to get GA tickets. So saying that venues limit it etc etc is excuses. I have seen U2 10+ times have had GA 8 times and front row 8 times. I have NEVER been able to get Pearl Jam tickets so joined the fan club a couple years ago in hopes of finally seeing the band that recorded the first CD I ever purchased yet I can't even get tickets being a member of the fan club. "

I am asking because I don't really know, but isn't the GA at U2 concerts much larger since they play 60-80,000 seat arenas instead of 20,000 seat arenas? Plus aren't their tours much larger, playing more venues each tour? I'm not a fan club member for U2, but have gone to a few of their concerts, so I don't know, but it would seem that way to me.

Also, do people travel to see multiple U2 shows to the same extent as they do PJ? Seeing a U2 show is pretty much the same set list and show (albeit an awesome spectacle, I'll admit) no matter which city.

No disrespect, I'd just be interested to know if the comparison is valid.

They absolutely do. It's just an astronomical amount of money.
    The GA tix on U2's tour were very reasonable actually. And they always have the entire floor GA, whihc means thousands more GA TX available to fans at each show, and that was their arena show. They have full floor GA for their stadium tours too. Plus, U2 usually does monster tours compared to PJ. So yeah, PJ and U2 aren't comparable here.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcrok said:

PJ_Soul said:

I imagine that the logistics of making sure locals get dibs on tix is totally unmanageable these days, and it's also a big fuck you to everyone who live in places the band never goes. To limit ticket sales to local addresses is discriminatory. That said, it blows to not get hometown tix. THAT said, people can still go. Just not with 10C tix (or maybe if the find a ticket buddy).

Yea dude, it would violate the constitution. Interstate commerce clause, lol. It is one thing to be frustrated as I'm sure it sucks to get shut out of your hometown show. It is another thing to bitch about your ten club membership and cast blame at a "lottery" system.

How about we do this----- have no fan club tix at all? Front seats go to the folks willing to pay the price on stub hub. I did that during the vote for change tour...and i liked it.

Maybe there are other members out there that have an extra ticket? Maybe, you could get one of those as there are a lot of generous folk here (i gave away 2 Memphis GAs to complete strangers with far away seats in 2014)? Then, because of the same system you are complaining about you would have a ticket. There are alot of solutions and crying about it is not one of them.
    I think you must be misinterpreting what I am saying. I am not complaining at all. Or perhaps I am misinterpreting what you are saying and we are actually in agreement, lol.

CW55354 said:

"That being said I have been a U2 fan club member for 10+ years and during their fan club draws I have ALWAYS managed to get GA tickets. So saying that venues limit it etc etc is excuses. I have seen U2 10+ times have had GA 8 times and front row 8 times. I have NEVER been able to get Pearl Jam tickets so joined the fan club a couple years ago in hopes of finally seeing the band that recorded the first CD I ever purchased yet I can't even get tickets being a member of the fan club. "

I am asking because I don't really know, but isn't the GA at U2 concerts much larger since they play 60-80,000 seat arenas instead of 20,000 seat arenas? Plus aren't their tours much larger, playing more venues each tour? I'm not a fan club member for U2, but have gone to a few of their concerts, so I don't know, but it would seem that way to me.

Also, do people travel to see multiple U2 shows to the same extent as they do PJ? Seeing a U2 show is pretty much the same set list and show (albeit an awesome spectacle, I'll admit) no matter which city.

The GA tix on U2's tour were very reasonable actually. And they always have the entire floor GA, whihc means thousands more GA TX available to fans at each show, and that was their arena show. They have full floor GA for their stadium tours too. Plus, U2 usually does monster tours compared to PJ. So yeah, PJ and U2 aren't comparable here.
    Interesting. I was under the impression from people who attended that they were pretty costly. This seems to confirm it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawrence/2015/04/28/u2-has-more-shows-and-higher-ticket-prices-at-msg-than-any-other-venue-on-upcoming-tour/#7d8f11b761de
    Anyway, apples and oranges.
  • Options
    cwjacwja Posts: 132
    EVERYONE who chose Philly Reserved as their #1 priority got tickets. I have several friends who chose MSG Reserved as their #1 and they all got tickets. I chose MSG GA as my #1. I lost. Oh well, I'm a gambler and I knew the risk. Had friends who won them. It's a lotto and that's what happens. Couldn't be happier for them. I still got tickets to four shows, including one GA. My 2,3,5 and 10th choices. They give you the odds. Whether or not you choose to figure out how it works is up to you.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

mcrok said:

PJ_Soul said:

I imagine that the logistics of making sure locals get dibs on tix is totally unmanageable these days, and it's also a big fuck you to everyone who live in places the band never goes. To limit ticket sales to local addresses is discriminatory. That said, it blows to not get hometown tix. THAT said, people can still go. Just not with 10C tix (or maybe if the find a ticket buddy).

Yea dude, it would violate the constitution. Interstate commerce clause, lol. It is one thing to be frustrated as I'm sure it sucks to get shut out of your hometown show. It is another thing to bitch about your ten club membership and cast blame at a "lottery" system.

How about we do this----- have no fan club tix at all? Front seats go to the folks willing to pay the price on stub hub. I did that during the vote for change tour...and i liked it.

Maybe there are other members out there that have an extra ticket? Maybe, you could get one of those as there are a lot of generous folk here (i gave away 2 Memphis GAs to complete strangers with far away seats in 2014)? Then, because of the same system you are complaining about you would have a ticket. There are alot of solutions and crying about it is not one of them.
    I think you must be misinterpreting what I am saying. I am not complaining at all. Or perhaps I am misinterpreting what you are saying and we are actually in agreement, lol.

CW55354 said:

Interesting. I was under the impression from people who attended that they were pretty costly. This seems to confirm it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawrence/2015/04/28/u2-has-more-shows-and-higher-ticket-prices-at-msg-than-any-other-venue-on-upcoming-tour/#7d8f11b761de
    I participated in the Ticketmaster sale for their last tour. All of their GA tix were something like $70. I swear, lol. The lower bowl seats were absolutely outrageous. But GA was cheap.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcrok said:

PJ_Soul said:

CW55354 said:

I participated in the Ticketmaster sale for their last tour. All of their GA tix were something like $70. I swear, lol. The lower bowl seats were absolutely outrageous. But GA was cheap.
    don't doubt it, but that's a huge range of prices.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcrok said:

PJ_Soul said:

CW55354 said:

Yes, the range was stupid. But i thought we were just talking GA comparison here.
  • Options
    cwja said:

EVERYONE who chose Philly Reserved as their #1 priority got tickets. I have several friends who chose MSG Reserved as their #1 and they all got tickets. I chose MSG GA as my #1. I lost. Oh well, I'm a gambler and I knew the risk. Had friends who won them. It's a lotto and that's what happens. Couldn't be happier for them. I still got tickets to four shows, including one GA. My 2,3,5 and 10th choices. They give you the odds. Whether or not you choose to figure out how it works is up to you.

EXACTLY RIGHT...
    The odds are a tool to help you decide which shows to pick and how to prioritize them!!
    They REALLY do work...
    if you know how to use them:

• Options
    ajflickerajflicker Canada Posts: 166
    mcrok said:

this is funny. nowhere does it say that you are guaranteed tickets with a membership. you want guaranteed tix put a less popular location as your first choice and travel. based on your logic I'm surprised you aren't blaming the lottery on Obama, lol.

I had to do what you just suggested. I joined TC two weeks ago so my wife could see PJ for the first time. I live 2 hours from T.O. but chose to pick Ottawa which is 7 hours away cause odds were better. I won seats through the draw so now I have to drop cash for a hotel and tons of gas money.
  • Options
    P-Town-P-Jam-FanP-Town-P-Jam-Fan Posts: 917
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by P-Town-P-Jam-Fan on
    Gorge
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcrok said:

PJ_Soul said:

CW55354 said:

Yes, the range was stupid. But i thought we were just talking GA comparison here.
    fair enough. I was looking at averages but I get what you're saying, even if their GA is configured differently.
  • Options

I think the system is similar to a virtual waiting room when buying general tickets. Everyone goes into the waiting room and you randomly get selected to enter the ticketing page. Those who are selected first get the best seats, or in this instance they get choices 1-4 or 1-5 like some have. Those why are unlucky soak in the waiting room while other orders are being filled. Once you have been selected to enter the ticketing page, you get what is left, based on how you arranged your priority. PS - all you Philly people know what a virtual waiting room is, or will...

Gorge
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    derbydave said:

cwja said:

EXACTLY RIGHT...
    The odds are a tool to help you decide which shows to pick and how to prioritize them!!
    They REALLY do work...
    if you know how to use them:

Ok, I got tix to my #1 show in a high demand market, but the above 2 posts and sentiments like it are bugging the crap out of me.

For once and for all, NOT EVERYONE CAN TRAVEL ANYWHERE ANYTIME TO SEE SHOWS!!!

PLEASE STOP talking about this as if everyone can just put Florida or SC on their list because NOT EVERYONE CAN.

Not everyone can afford to travel, not everyone can afford hotels, not everyone can afford to be on the road for days at a time.

That said, it is still a lottery and I'm in favor of a lottery. But what I'm NOT in favor of is some members getting tix for multiple shows while others who do put down multiple shows get shut out. Seems fair to have an algorithm that looks at who has had 1 choice fulfilled and tries to fill as many members having one choice before it allows any one member to have 2+ ticket orders filled. Why is that so hard to do?

I also think that since this is all done according to membership number (not seniority, but the 10Club keeps track of us by membership number), then the 10 Club knows from lottery to lottery who may have entered many lotteries and never won. Why can't they be weighted to get at least their first picks chosen first, before others, so their losing streaks end? And that's regardless of seniority: if you've entered and always or almost always lost, your odds should be better of winning in the next lottery than everyone else's. How can anyone argue against that being fair?
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I've really been trying not to be a dick on here for the last several years...but shit man, you're making it tough.
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    Trixie said:

Since joining TenClub back in 2000, I've never NOT gotten great tickets to their shows.

And when you were feeling happy there were others that were the opposite at having missed out.
    Yes its a shitty feeling but that's what losing out feels like, for 15 years you've been lucky, be grateful for that. You'll get in somehow :)
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Current lottery system is simple. Philly, NYC and Toronto were pure luck, these are always tough. The rest were fairly easy to get tix as far as I can tell. It is really not that complicated. I'm sorry if the only show that fits your schedule is in high demand.
    I dont get all these people that had Philly, NYC and Toronto as their first 10 picks and complain when someone got four shows in VA, NC, SC and FL. It is really just simple math.
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    gmonet said:

I agree with the original post here. I've been a fan club member since 94 and I'm sorry that everybody's late to the party but after this much time I should get tickets to any show I want anytime I want.

Incredible.
    Maybe you could wear a badge declaring your superiority and us newbies could fetch you refreshments during the gig to save your superior butt from moving from the rail.
    We're all equal here, Ive only been a member for 2 years and I don't care if someone who joined a month ago got tickets, a fan is a fan and if they've bothered to pay to join the fan club then they are as entitled to tickets as someone who joined in 1994.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    I understand that they try to be as fair as possible. Applied for both MSG only and lost. Was going to travel from South Africa to NYC for the shows. Saddened....
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179

I indicated where they were.

I find it incredibly disappointing that this forum has become so aggressive and mean when someone posts a dissenting comment.

Thanks Sub for your message ... What I find incredibly sad is that everyone is missing the point. The fact that the lottery system was implemented in the first place is what pisses me off. What was wrong with the old system (i.e. pay your yearly membership fee and get two tickets to the show closest to your hometown)?Yeah, yeah, I know that changed to you could get tickets to any show, but the point is, we pay and now potentially get nothing. I joined the Club for one reason and one reason only. I now question what I'm paying for. I also am in no position to travel all over North America to the lower demand shows, this is what I consider bullshit.
  • Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    wall05 said:

Shit happens. Deal with it. Some of you people sound so entitled in here it's crazy.

Entitled? No, just expecting tickets to the one and only show I can attend which is why I'm in the Club in the first place. The fact that they've changed the rules to a lottery system is what I can't swallow. The last time I had a chance to see PJ was three years ago and I won the fucking lottery, however, my point is I've now paid $150 since then and have gotten nothing. Does no one on this forum get this? Even the fact that they now renew our memberships without us having to actually do anything should've been a sign that this so called Club has clearly lost its way (i.e. if I forget to cancel my membership, they keep getting my money). Wake up people. Seniority now means jack shit and that is the ONLY reason any of us are in the fucking Club in the first place. DEEP and Christmas single (which doesn't even show up until mid-summer and usually fucking broken) ain't worth $50 a year.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    edited January 2016
    Well it was bound to happen, the seniority argument returns. The rules of the lottery made it clear that it was random, and a L O T T E R Y. There was no seniority. Why bring it up? Because one member has been in a FANCLUB for 15-20 years makes them no more deserving than a fan who wasn't born 20 years ago. To me that whole notion is bullshit.

We knew what we were getting into here. it was a random draw, supply couldn't feed demand - for some shows the demand was immense, so what are tenclub supposed to do? give the tickets to fanclub veterans? or those who knew the skills to beat the F5 days? no they opted to make it fair for all, everyone had the same chance to win. I don't really understand the objections to this, other than those who didn't win in the lottery who are pissed because they have paid to have fanclub perks (and benefitted from those perks along the journey) and are clearly 'bigger fans'. Its a strange mentality, and one that is hard to reconcile. No one is more deserving than anyone else, and it was a purely pot luck system with overwhelming odds against winning.

I tried my hand, I lost my selections. Life goes on. But I don't see how the tenclub could have done this any better, and they were always going to get the shit storm that has become common place here when people just don't get their own way. Sad times.
    Post edited by pdalowsky on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Trixie - why are you paying $50 a year for membership if you couldn't give a fuck about the vinyl single? just wondering why you didn't select the $20 option?
This discussion has been closed.