Options

Lost in the Lottery - I AM PISSED!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    so many people here are members for the tickets only??
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Shit happens. Deal with it. Some of you people sound so entitled in here it's crazy.

Entitled? No, just expecting tickets to the one and only show I can attend which is why I'm in the Club in the first place. The fact that they've changed the rules to a lottery system is what I can't swallow. The last time I had a chance to see PJ was three years ago and I won the fucking lottery, however, my point is I've now paid $150 since then and have gotten nothing. Does no one on this forum get this? Even the fact that they now renew our memberships without us having to actually do anything should've been a sign that this so called Club has clearly lost its way (i.e. if I forget to cancel my membership, they keep getting my money). Wake up people. Seniority now means jack shit and that is the ONLY reason any of us are in the fucking Club in the first place. DEEP and Christmas single (which doesn't even show up until mid-summer and usually fucking broken) ain't worth $50 a year.
    "Does no-one on this forum get this"?

Theres a reason why you cant see that others aren't getting it. Its called fairness and equality.

When demand is greater than supply the only fair way to give everyone a chance to win tickets is to have no hierarchy just because of age of membership.

Ive been going to live shows, since 1980 and never will that give me any more right to receive tickets to any show that I want to attend.
    Ive chosen to join 10c but it doesn't give me anymore right to a ticket than others that have joined since then.,

Did you care about others when you luckily got tickets for PJ shows? When you fully understand that you'll be able to answer you own question.
    "Demand is greater than supply"? If that was the case, all tickets would go to fan club members and never be offered to the general public. The band, the venue and promoters still get their money. And I've only been to one show since the lottery was implemented. I don't consider myself "lucky" to have won as there shouldn't have been any "luck" involved. When I saw how many people didn't luck out the last time they toured, I was pissed for them as well.
    This is not physically possible in today's market: Live Nation and Ticketmaster are mandatory ticketing partners for the vast majority of large venues in Canada and the US. They mandate that a certain percentage of tickets issued be sold by them, and not a filtered fan club subset. From my understanding, this is a substantial percentage of venues, and is incredibly difficult to negotiate. The lottery, and the Ten Club offerings, are two different issues. Maybe your anger would be best directed at TM/LN, who limit the good that Ten Club can afford its members.
    I've actually written extensively on anti-trust laws and touring, and again, I have yet to see that 10% statistic referenced externally.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Trixie said:

Anyone paying 10c dues with the expectation of guaranteed tickets isn't very bright.

It clearly says tickets are not guaranteed. Read the fine print before you buy. It's not hard, and it's also a smart thing to do.

Who cares what the fine print NOW says. Tickets used to be guaranteed.
    you clearly have no clue what you're talking about...

you gambled and went for the hardest tickets to win on the tour... and lost... move on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I'm here for the degenerates (and the veal).
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560
    The early days...when you had to mail in your index cards and money orders.....this is the same system only digitally.
    Back then, they played more shows, and you could only get one show per tour. So people didnt put in for 8 shows. You picked your show, probably got it, and then went to ticketmaster for the rest. (Im talking about 1998-2000 tours).

In 2003, it was changed to where you could get as many shows as possible. Im sure that sucked for the 10c. Imagine the organizational nightmare. And they did what they could.

So now, they play less shows. People are more inclined to request more than 1. People make their picks and hope for the best. Its very much like the old index card days, minus the pain of getting money orders and sending index cards. Only with less shows there is more demand. And more people i know want to see them now, versus 1998-2000.

It has been, and always will be, a lottery.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    hedonist said:

Quote of the day!!! :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

how is this any more entitled than the folks bragging about how many tickets they got and how they just signed up, or a buddy of their who doesn't care much for the band scored them tickets? If you want to police bad behavior, it cuts both ways.

its unfair that someone who doesnt care much for the band scored tickets?

this person has equal rights than anyone for being a tc member...no matter if he/she doesnt heard about lightning bolt.
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Shit happens. Deal with it. Some of you people sound so entitled in here it's crazy.

Entitled? No, just expecting tickets to the one and only show I can attend which is why I'm in the Club in the first place. The fact that they've changed the rules to a lottery system is what I can't swallow. The last time I had a chance to see PJ was three years ago and I won the fucking lottery, however, my point is I've now paid $150 since then and have gotten nothing. Does no one on this forum get this? Even the fact that they now renew our memberships without us having to actually do anything should've been a sign that this so called Club has clearly lost its way (i.e. if I forget to cancel my membership, they keep getting my money). Wake up people. Seniority now means jack shit and that is the ONLY reason any of us are in the fucking Club in the first place. DEEP and Christmas single (which doesn't even show up until mid-summer and usually fucking broken) ain't worth $50 a year.

Theres a reason why you cant see that others aren't getting it. Its called fairness and equality.

When demand is greater than supply the only fair way to give everyone a chance to win tickets is to have no hierarchy just because of age of membership.

Ive been going to live shows, since 1980 and never will that give me any more right to receive tickets to any show that I want to attend.
    Ive chosen to join 10c but it doesn't give me anymore right to a ticket than others that have joined since then.,

Did you care about others when you luckily got tickets for PJ shows? When you fully understand that you'll be able to answer you own question.
    "Demand is greater than supply"? If that was the case, all tickets would go to fan club members and never be offered to the general public. The band, the venue and promoters still get their money. And I've only been to one show since the lottery was implemented. I don't consider myself "lucky" to have won as there shouldn't have been any "luck" involved. When I saw how many people didn't luck out the last time they toured, I was pissed for them as well.
    This is not physically possible in today's market: Live Nation and Ticketmaster are mandatory ticketing partners for the vast majority of large venues in Canada and the US. They mandate that a certain percentage of tickets issued be sold by them, and not a filtered fan club subset. From my understanding, this is a substantial percentage of venues, and is incredibly difficult to negotiate. The lottery, and the Ten Club offerings, are two different issues. Maybe your anger would be best directed at TM/LN, who limit the good that Ten Club can afford its members.
    I've actually written extensively on anti-trust laws and touring, and again, I have yet to see that 10% statistic referenced externally.
    I find it hard to believe in a specific percentage, but I also find it hard to believe that the public could ever see this number. My guess is that this would be heavily NDA'ed, especially if it was variable (which it seems to be from artist to artist or venue to venue) - if TM isn't generating fees profit off of fan club tickets, they would want to minimize their opportunity cost as much as possible.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,838
    The arguments presented in this thread are bordering on sheer lunacy.

we have someone proclaiming they don't give a shit about the perks of membership other than the ticket chance, yet pays for the analogue package.

Baffled.com.

All this over a presale.....the general sale is still days away. Fucking nuts.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    pdalowsky said:

we have someone proclaiming they don't give a shit about the perks of membership other than the ticket chance, yet pays for the analogue package.

Baffled.com.

• Options
    benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

I find it hard to believe in a specific percentage, but I also find it hard to believe that the public could ever see this number. My guess is that this would be heavily NDA'ed, especially if it was variable (which it seems to be from artist to artist or venue to venue) - if TM isn't generating fees profit off of fan club tickets, they would want to minimize their opportunity cost as much as possible.
    pdalowsky said:

Baffled.com.

respectfully, I was on the digital package that's cheaper.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Havent tried for 10c tickets in 13 years. Seriously. Hard for me to go to shows the past decade. I catch them at festivals only when it lines up right.

But in the 90s and the 2000 and 2003 tours i never thought of 10c tix as "guaranteed".
  • Options
    benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Right, so before we claim 10%, we have no way to know for sure. Additionally, the ten club tickets are now the same price as the TM ones, so they are making money with either option.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Right, so before we claim 10%, we have no way to know for sure. Additionally, the ten club tickets are now the same price as the TM ones, so they are making money with either option.
    Ticketmaster still wants the site traffic of a public onsale. And they do have additional fees.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Ticketmaster? How so? The total price is the base ticket price plus either Ten Club fees or Ticketmaster fees - not both. If Ten Club claims fees, Ticketmaster misses out.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Ticketmaster still wants the site traffic of a public onsale. And they do have additional fees.
    I'm looking at historical ticket prices I've paid both with the fan club and with TM, and they are the same post-2000 or so.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    edited January 2016
    benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

ask and ye shall receive

8% quoted in this article

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/business/media/bands-and-ticketmaster-wrangle-over-rules-for-fan-club-sales.html?_r=1
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options

how is this any more entitled than the folks bragging about how many tickets they got and how they just signed up, or a buddy of their who doesn't care much for the band scored them tickets? If you want to police bad behavior, it cuts both ways.

its unfair that someone who doesnt care much for the band scored tickets?

this person has equal rights than anyone for being a tc member...no matter if he/she doesnt heard about lightning bolt.
    if someone is only signing up to give someone else tickets, which is what is being discussed in part here, that's not a matter of how much of a fan they are, because they're not if they're getting tickets for someone else. Has nothing to do with Lightning Bolt, and the casual fan will have never heard of the album.
  • Options
    subpoprockcitysubpoprockcity Posts: 241
    edited January 2016
    pjhawks said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

ask and ye shall receive

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/business/media/bands-and-ticketmaster-wrangle-over-rules-for-fan-club-sales.html?_r=1
    it's says it's currently at "8% or more". that's a huge range. 8% or more doesn't equal less than 10%. Again, I'm not seeing this hard 10% number in the article.
    Post edited by subpoprockcity on
  • Options

pjhawks said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

ask and ye shall receive

it's says it's currently at "8% or more". that's a huge range.

did you read the article? also said they are trying to clamp down even further and this was an article from 2015. also may explain why this site has a chat room
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

ask and ye shall receive

did you read the article? also said they are trying to clamp down even further and this was an article from 2015. also may explain why this site has a chat room
    I read the article, thanks. Hence why I quoted a line from it about 8% or more.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    pdalowsky said:

Well it was bound to happen, the seniority argument returns. The rules of the lottery made it clear that it was random, and a L O T T E R Y. There was no seniority. Why bring it up? Because one member has been in a FANCLUB for 15-20 years makes them no more deserving than a fan who wasn't born 20 years ago. To me that whole notion is bullshit.

We knew what we were getting into here. it was a random draw, supply couldn't feed demand - for some shows the demand was immense, so what are tenclub supposed to do? give the tickets to fanclub veterans? or those who knew the skills to beat the F5 days? no they opted to make it fair for all, everyone had the same chance to win. I don't really understand the objections to this, other than those who didn't win in the lottery who are pissed because they have paid to have fanclub perks (and benefitted from those perks along the journey) and are clearly 'bigger fans'. Its a strange mentality, and one that is hard to reconcile. No one is more deserving than anyone else, and it was a purely pot luck system with overwhelming odds against winning.

I tried my hand, I lost my selections. Life goes on. But I don't see how the tenclub could have done this any better, and they were always going to get the shit storm that has become common place here when people just don't get their own way. Sad times.

EPIC POST!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    hedonist said:

im here only in spirit
  • Options
    eddiec said:

If Led Zeppelin did a reunion tour and only people who saw them in '70's were allowed to get tickets I'd be really pissed off. Really pissed. At least everybody here has the same odds. If you didn't like the lottery system you should have have cancelled your membership when they introduced it. Not when you didn't win tickets. So if you had won tickets you would keep your membership knowing you might get nothing the next time? It doesn't make sense. You either accept the situation or cancel your membership. It's cut and dry. Complaining after the lottery is over accomplishes nothing.

Edit: I loved the F5 days. I always got tickets to the shows I tried for but I do know that the lottery is more fair to the average member. I'm in the position where I make my own work schedule allowing me to take days off whenever the tickets went on sale. I know the majority of people on here are not in that position. BTW, I lost out on this lottery but I'll be at MSG, not even a doubt.

ANOTHER EWPIC POST!!BRAVO
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited January 2016
    hedonist said:

Thanks for the smile on an otherwise tough morning!

As for tickets, it's a lottery. You gambled, you lost. (Not you Hedo) Plenty worse can happen. Suck it up and try for ticketmaster seats. So what if you have to sit with the peasants? You are still in the building.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

ask and ye shall receive

I read the article, thanks. Hence why I quoted a line from it about 8% or more.
    fair but clearly there is a limit that ticketmaster allows. even 10% of an indoor venue is only around 1800 tickets or 900 pairs of can club tickets. not a ton for high demand shows.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

IM HERE FOR THE HOTTIES
  • Options
    benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

+1. You simply don't understand the concert industry.
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6820773/songkick-live-nation-ticketmaster-antitrust
    Ticketmaster doesn't want to give up even 10% of tickets to fan clubs, and you think pj should just sell all the tickets themselves..lol
    Gorge
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    edited January 2016

hedonist said:

IM HERE FOR THE HOTTIES
    You're here for hand warmers?

http://www.littlehottieswarmers.com

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

+1. You simply don't understand the concert industry.
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6820773/songkick-live-nation-ticketmaster-antitrust
    Ticketmaster doesn't want to give up even 10% of tickets to fan clubs, and you think pj should just sell all the tickets themselves..lol

the article says 8% or more. I don't think the band should sell all the tickets themselves; nowhere in this thread is that the case.
This discussion has been closed.