Options

Lost in the Lottery - I AM PISSED!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Shit happens. Deal with it. Some of you people sound so entitled in here it's crazy.

Entitled? No, just expecting tickets to the one and only show I can attend which is why I'm in the Club in the first place. The fact that they've changed the rules to a lottery system is what I can't swallow. The last time I had a chance to see PJ was three years ago and I won the fucking lottery, however, my point is I've now paid $150 since then and have gotten nothing. Does no one on this forum get this? Even the fact that they now renew our memberships without us having to actually do anything should've been a sign that this so called Club has clearly lost its way (i.e. if I forget to cancel my membership, they keep getting my money). Wake up people. Seniority now means jack shit and that is the ONLY reason any of us are in the fucking Club in the first place. DEEP and Christmas single (which doesn't even show up until mid-summer and usually fucking broken) ain't worth $50 a year.
    "Does no-one on this forum get this"?

Theres a reason why you cant see that others aren't getting it. Its called fairness and equality.

When demand is greater than supply the only fair way to give everyone a chance to win tickets is to have no hierarchy just because of age of membership.

Ive been going to live shows, since 1980 and never will that give me any more right to receive tickets to any show that I want to attend.
    Ive chosen to join 10c but it doesn't give me anymore right to a ticket than others that have joined since then.,

Did you care about others when you luckily got tickets for PJ shows? When you fully understand that you'll be able to answer you own question.
    "Demand is greater than supply"? If that was the case, all tickets would go to fan club members and never be offered to the general public. The band, the venue and promoters still get their money. And I've only been to one show since the lottery was implemented. I don't consider myself "lucky" to have won as there shouldn't have been any "luck" involved. When I saw how many people didn't luck out the last time they toured, I was pissed for them as well.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I understand that they try to be as fair as possible. Applied for both MSG only and lost. Was going to travel from South Africa to NYC for the shows. Saddened....

Just for future reference, America is a big place...Atlanta has a huge international airport, and it is a few short hours drive or ride from 3 or 4 of the shows that you would have been guaranteed tickets.
    Foreigners tend to think NYC is a place that represents America and has to be visited, but (no offense new Yorkers) that just isn't true.
    Hitting Greenville, Columbia, Hampton, Raleigh, and Jax would give you a much better idea of what America is actually like for most people living here.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

" I disagree with you, so I'm going to call you stupid and a fucking idiot"

Looks like a great fan base. Truthfully, the argument has been made that the club is good for the community aspect. The nastiness on here suggests otherwise.

right, again though, you can disagree with me, and I have provided arguments with support, and have done so in a way that doesn't insult other participants. They have forum rules for a reason. Suggesting otherwise really doesn't say much good about the community here.
  • Options

My favorite part of this thread was when the person who thinks he/she should be able to get tickets to "any show anywhere" called someone else a selfish turd.

"Any time I want" as well lol
    :rofl:

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    We thought of traveling south but so many shows are during the week, That was a big decision to just go for Philly, then Fenway, We totally bagged NYC all together and it's 25 miles from my house.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    I like the idea that since TC turned to lottery, which can b argued for and against all day, and HAS been argued all day, TC should make the distribution to winners at the box office a lottery as well. Then this lottery system would just turn into win/lose, pick up tix, u could b GA u could b last row of venue. All the people that defend the lottery system should b on board with this
  • Options
    Maybe I am a dick, but if I had tickets to bestow on a 10club member, I would come to this and the other thread first and write down the folks who are pissing and moaning and make sure I gave to someone who was more gracious in defeat.
    I am a dick lol
  • Options

I like the idea that since TC turned to lottery, which can b argued for and against all day, and HAS been argued all day, TC should make the distribution to winners at the box office a lottery as well. Then this lottery system would just turn into win/lose, pick up tix, u could b GA u could b last row of venue. All the people that defend the lottery system should b on board with this

what and have seniority totally be worth nothing....uh, no.
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778

jmug23 said:

jmug23 said:

jmug23 said:

PP193448 said:

The only thing that can be done with the lottery to make it more "fair" is to limit the number of shows you can win to like 2-3. That way more people have opportunities to go to shows instead of getting shut out, especially considering that the band continues to limit the number of venues they play. I would agree that it sucks that there are some people that score tics to 4-5 shows while others get completely shut out. That's the lottery, with random drawing... There is room for improvement. Just try to score tickets from TM or from another fan club member. Still good possibilities for tickets.

But the reason people are getting 4 or 5 shows is because they are choosing wisely and no one else wanted shows 2-5 as a priority. It's pretty simple. If you absolutely have to have 10 club tickets or GA, go for the low priority shows. People who gambled on NY, Pa and whatever other shows that had a 10% chance took a huge risk. It's easy to get "shut out" when your picking 4 shows that all have 10% odds. Conversely, it's easy to win 4-5 shows when you choose wisely for the shows that are in lesser demand. I would have loved to have seen them in NY. However I wasn't willing to gamble on those odds, so I chose a show with much better odds and won.
    again, "choosing wisely" assumes a certain level of disposable cash and the ability to travel. This isn't possible for a lot of people. It doesn't make them choosing poorly. It means they can't travel 5-10 hours away for a show.
    I totally get that in your situation. Unfortunately you appear to live close to one of the most densly populated areas in the country. I'm more referring to the people who stated they missed out on 10 shows. If you put in for 6-10 shows, then you were planning on doing some serious traveling. So my point is, if you put in for 10 shows, you didn't make smart decisions. You may have gone for shows that were in the cities you wanted to visit the most, but you didn't choose the shows that gave you great odds. Multiple venues were almost guaranteed for reserve seating.
    Right, but there are a lot of folks on here that did just what you suggested and came up empty, where as others got 3 tickets in the most concentrated markets. I don't blame anyone for not being super thrilled about that.
    People did what? I think I got a little confused with my last post. My point was, if you were able to put in 10 picks, and didn't get one ticket, it's because you didn't pick wisely. You took too big of a gamble picking both NY and both Philly shows and putting GA first. Yeah, some people got tickets that way because they were the lucky 10-20%,but most didn't. When your putting all those high demand shows as your first four picks, you are taking a huge gamble. If some of these people that had the travel means to choose 10 shows would have picked the shows down south, they would have walked away with tickets to 4 or 5 shows.
    People put in for 8-10 shows, some were not the high demand areas, and got nothing.

Again, there are a lot of us that can't travel because of the cost, the time off, etc. Being limited in that sense doesn't have anything to do with picking wisely. If I can't physically go, I can't go.

I'm really troubled by this continued idea that it's no big deal to travel and drop tons of money on multiple shows that are hours away. This is not the reality for many fans.
    Again, I'm referring to the people you stated picked 8-10 shows. If you picked 8-10 shows, then obviously those people are willing to travel. And again if you picked 8-10 shows and got nothing, then you chose to take a big gamble and go for the high demand shows. If you are willing to travel and must have 10club tickets, why not pick the shows that were guaranteed? There were multiple venues that had 99% before the drawing. The way some of the people put their priorities down,I'm not surprised they didn't win anything. And as far as the people who can't travel and live in the high demand areas and only picked one show, I get that it sucks to lose. I have been shut out of my hometown before. But the reality is, everyone knew it was an extreme long shot before the drawing started.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

what and have seniority totally be worth nothing....uh, no.
    this is kind of what I'm getting at. People look down on seniority, until it matters for them and they end up with less desirable seats.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    I don't look down on seniority at all. I look down on the sense of entitlement that sometimes goes along with it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

I don't look down on seniority at all. I look down on the sense of entitlement that sometimes goes along with it.

and yet, how is it different when it comes to seat assignments? I'm actually not arguing about where I sit for a show based on seniority, but we're talking tickets vs. no tickets. Seems like a big difference.
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    rgambs said:

Maybe I am a dick, but if I had tickets to bestow on a 10club member, I would come to this and the other thread first and write down the folks who are pissing and moaning and make sure I gave to someone who was more gracious in defeat.
    I am a dick lol

Having not posted a great deal on the forums since I became a member, the last few days has left me wondering if the people here are the kind of people I want to be at shows with and then I see a post like this and it leads me to rethink and that there are decent people on here.
    rgambs you're certainly not a dick.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560
    Some people need seats tho. So random GA tickets wont work for some people. Thats why there is a need to differentiate between the two sections.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Even having seniority we have "worse" seats than the beginning....If the rows 1-2 rule and the 9-10 rule is still in effect that puts you 4 rows back from where you would have been...just pointing it out.
    But I have mostly gotten great seats with 10 club. mostly...and that is based on my number.

There was a lottery for those 4 rows. Always hoped to win...never did. Having a lottery for all the tickets when you pick them up is insane.
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
  • Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    Fact of the matter is that even with the old system you would not be guaranteed tickets anymore. There are too many fans and not as many shows. Be happy that the band is still touring at all and that you even have the chance to 10C tickets. I missed out on a show 20 minutes from my house last tour, but got lucky and got Wrigley tix. That's how a lottery works, its been this way for years now and it has no sign of changing, if you don't like it then drop your membership, no harm no foul. You can still love the band and listen to the music and just pocket the $20-$40 and take your chances with the public sales. The end.
    This could be the day
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    only read the first couple pages, but it's amazing how grown adults don't understand what a lottery is, contracts where fan club only get "X" amount of seats, seniority only matters when reserved seats are assigned, etc...
  • Options
    VillagePJ said:

rgambs said:

I am a dick lol

Having not posted a great deal on the forums since I became a member, the last few days has left me wondering if the people here are the kind of people I want to be at shows with and then I see a post like this and it leads me to rethink and that there are decent people on here.
    rgambs you're certainly not a dick.
    it cuts both ways. I don't really want to be attending shows with fans who will call me fucking stupid for disagreeing with them on a ticketing policy.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622
    I understand the frustration and people should be allowed to vent.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995

JimmyV said:

and yet, how is it different when it comes to seat assignments? I'm actually not arguing about where I sit for a show based on seniority, but we're talking tickets vs. no tickets. Seems like a big difference.
    I'm not really arguing either way. Personally, I think a system where seat location on night #1 in major market city would be based on seniority and then randomized on night #2 might be interesting. I think DMB does something like this currently.

Also, the lead singer of this band we love has completely gone away from seniority at his solo shows. All seating there is randomized.

But that said...no one has a god given right to tickets to any show they want anywhere they want whenever they want. (Realize it wasn't you that made that statement.) That is the attitude I have a problem with.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Even having seniority we have "worse" seats than the beginning....If the rows 1-2 rule and the 9-10 rule is still in effect that puts you 4 rows back from where you would have been...just pointing it out.
    But I have mostly gotten great seats with 10 club. mostly...and that is based on my number.

There was a lottery for those 4 rows. Always hoped to win...never did. Having a lottery for all the tickets when you pick them up is insane.

They wouldn't draw names at the venue, that's not what I'm implying. They randomly assign tickets pre-show and you pick up the assigned tickets.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I understand the frustration as well, but people get very childish whenever this lottery happens. They act like they are owed something because they have been a fan for X amount of years and their member number is 1XXXX or whatever. Then they threaten leaving 10C all together like that will change something. It just makes you look childish. When I get shut out, which has happened more often than not, I get over it and take my chances with the public sale like a grown adult. Don't hold it against the band that you didn't get seats that were not promised to you.
    This could be the day
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited January 2016
    I have won reserved seats in the last 3 drawings.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002
    Trixie said:

Anyone paying 10c dues with the expectation of guaranteed tickets isn't very bright.

It clearly says tickets are not guaranteed. Read the fine print before you buy. It's not hard, and it's also a smart thing to do.

Who cares what the fine print NOW says. Tickets used to be guaranteed. All I'm saying is that with the policy change, membership in Ten Club doesn't actually mean anything. At least, not anymore
    I have no problem with your argument, I have major problem with your timing. A change from five years ago didn't affect you until now. Because it only affected others, and not you, you had no concern. Now, it affects you, and you have great resentment over this policy change. What are you looking for? Empathy? To start a riot? To be given a pair of tickets for this great injustice?

Of course - this is in addition to the fact (yes, fact) that you were never guaranteed tickets. Had demand been greater and the process and policies been identical to how they used to be - you'd still risk being shit out of luck.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

Trixie said:

Anyone paying 10c dues with the expectation of guaranteed tickets isn't very bright.

It clearly says tickets are not guaranteed. Read the fine print before you buy. It's not hard, and it's also a smart thing to do.

Who cares what the fine print NOW says. Tickets used to be guaranteed. All I'm saying is that with the policy change, membership in Ten Club doesn't actually mean anything. At least, not anymore
    I have no problem with your argument, I have major problem with your timing. A change from five years ago didn't affect you until now. Because it only affected others, and not you, you had no concern. Now, it affects you, and you have great resentment over this policy change. What are you looking for? Empathy? To start a riot? To be given a pair of tickets for this great injustice?

Of course - this is in addition to the fact (yes, fact) that you were never guaranteed tickets. Had demand been greater and the process and policies been identical to how they used to be - you'd still risk being shit out of luck.
    This. Well said. You've known the new policy for years, so don't act like this is a sudden and grave injustice
    This could be the day
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

I understand the frustration as well, but people get very childish whenever this lottery happens. They act like they are owed something because they have been a fan for X amount of years and their member number is 1XXXX or whatever. Then they threaten leaving 10C all together like that will change something. It just makes you look childish. When I get shut out, which has happened more often than not, I get over it and take my chances with the public sale like a grown adult. Don't hold it against the band that you didn't get seats that were not promised to you.

there's a difference between the band and the fan club. and I guarantee the same people critical of this thread will be complaining about their seats, or how they didn't get tickets the next tour around.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002
    Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Shit happens. Deal with it. Some of you people sound so entitled in here it's crazy.

Entitled? No, just expecting tickets to the one and only show I can attend which is why I'm in the Club in the first place. The fact that they've changed the rules to a lottery system is what I can't swallow. The last time I had a chance to see PJ was three years ago and I won the fucking lottery, however, my point is I've now paid $150 since then and have gotten nothing. Does no one on this forum get this? Even the fact that they now renew our memberships without us having to actually do anything should've been a sign that this so called Club has clearly lost its way (i.e. if I forget to cancel my membership, they keep getting my money). Wake up people. Seniority now means jack shit and that is the ONLY reason any of us are in the fucking Club in the first place. DEEP and Christmas single (which doesn't even show up until mid-summer and usually fucking broken) ain't worth $50 a year.

Theres a reason why you cant see that others aren't getting it. Its called fairness and equality.

When demand is greater than supply the only fair way to give everyone a chance to win tickets is to have no hierarchy just because of age of membership.

Ive been going to live shows, since 1980 and never will that give me any more right to receive tickets to any show that I want to attend.
    Ive chosen to join 10c but it doesn't give me anymore right to a ticket than others that have joined since then.,

Did you care about others when you luckily got tickets for PJ shows? When you fully understand that you'll be able to answer you own question.
    "Demand is greater than supply"? If that was the case, all tickets would go to fan club members and never be offered to the general public. The band, the venue and promoters still get their money. And I've only been to one show since the lottery was implemented. I don't consider myself "lucky" to have won as there shouldn't have been any "luck" involved. When I saw how many people didn't luck out the last time they toured, I was pissed for them as well.
    This is not physically possible in today's market: Live Nation and Ticketmaster are mandatory ticketing partners for the vast majority of large venues in Canada and the US. They mandate that a certain percentage of tickets issued be sold by them, and not a filtered fan club subset. From my understanding, this is a substantial percentage of venues, and is incredibly difficult to negotiate. The lottery, and the Ten Club offerings, are two different issues. Maybe your anger would be best directed at TM/LN, who limit the good that Ten Club can afford its members.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

there's a difference between the band and the fan club. and I guarantee the same people critical of this thread will be complaining about their seats, or how they didn't get tickets the next tour around.
    Well then those people are childish too. What ever happened to being grateful? Maybe the 10C members as a whole need to step back and re-assess what pisses them off. There are bigger issues than not being in GA at MSG
    This could be the day
  • Options
    how is this any more entitled than the folks bragging about how many tickets they got and how they just signed up, or a buddy of their who doesn't care much for the band scored them tickets? If you want to police bad behavior, it cuts both ways.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

This is not physically possible in today's market: Live Nation and Ticketmaster are mandatory ticketing partners for the vast majority of large venues in Canada and the US. They mandate that a certain percentage of tickets issued be sold by them, and not a filtered fan club subset. From my understanding, this is a substantial percentage of venues, and is incredibly difficult to negotiate. The lottery, and the Ten Club offerings, are two different issues. Maybe your anger would be best directed at TM/LN, who limit the good that Ten Club can afford its members.
    well put!
This discussion has been closed.