Options

Lost in the Lottery - I AM PISSED!!!!!!

Comments

• Options

gmonet said:

I agree with the original post here. I've been a fan club member since 94 and I'm sorry that everybody's late to the party but after this much time I should get tickets to any show I want anytime I want. Philadelphia in 2003 had over 10,010 club tickets. The fact is, Pearl Jam sold out and they don't have the same number of tickets available that they did back then. Live nation sells them now and we happily pay fees when we used to have to travel to East Girish to see these guys. Oh yeah, I think they're rolling out a new South American bootleg tonight. Remember when you could get those all on one day? Sell out!

You want special treatment. Give me a break.
    +1 in a big f'n way!!!!
  • Options
    Trixie said:

Since joining TenClub back in 2000, I've never NOT gotten great tickets to their shows. I was just notified that I was not "selected" for tickets to the Toronto show. Back when this new system was introduced, I must say I was pretty disgusted that our favourite band would even go this route, however, I still got my tickets so I didn't complain. I've just been told that my name wasn't drawn and therefore would have to wait until the public sale happened. I'm sorry but what the fuck am I paying $50 a year for.? Who gives a shit about the Christmas single (I don't own a turntable and it never arrives unbroken or on time), I could care less about DEEP, etc. I pay to get decent seats to their concerts. THAT'S IT!!!!!! No longer will I be a member of this club. I don't throw money away, but apparently I have been for the last three years (last time I got something for my money). I looked for "contact" info so I could tell Ten Club and Pearl Jam that I'm done with throwing money away and found out you can't contact them. Hmmmmm. Congrats to all that are going to a show and if I'm wrong about contacting (not that it'll do any good), this Pearl Jam fan has some serious thinking to do about Ten Club .... so disappointed

hear hear.
  • Options
    AlaG said:

mcrok said:

this is funny. nowhere does it say that you are guaranteed tickets with a membership. you want guaranteed tix put a less popular location as your first choice and travel. based on your logic I'm surprised you aren't blaming the lottery on Obama, lol.

A lot of people have jobs, children, etc that won't permit them to up and leave home for a couple days to go to a rock concert. I'm not one of these people but I'm sympathetic to the people who didn't get their hometown shows for this reason.
    This. There are so many people that also don't have the extra cash to blow or the time off to do this sort of thing.
  • Options
    CW55354 said:

"That being said I have been a U2 fan club member for 10+ years and during their fan club draws I have ALWAYS managed to get GA tickets. So saying that venues limit it etc etc is excuses. I have seen U2 10+ times have had GA 8 times and front row 8 times. I have NEVER been able to get Pearl Jam tickets so joined the fan club a couple years ago in hopes of finally seeing the band that recorded the first CD I ever purchased yet I can't even get tickets being a member of the fan club. "

I am asking because I don't really know, but isn't the GA at U2 concerts much larger since they play 60-80,000 seat arenas instead of 20,000 seat arenas? Plus aren't their tours much larger, playing more venues each tour? I'm not a fan club member for U2, but have gone to a few of their concerts, so I don't know, but it would seem that way to me.

Also, do people travel to see multiple U2 shows to the same extent as they do PJ? Seeing a U2 show is pretty much the same set list and show (albeit an awesome spectacle, I'll admit) no matter which city.

No disrespect, I'd just be interested to know if the comparison is valid.

They absolutely do. It's just an astronomical amount of money.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,456
    gmonet said:

Priority matters but seniority doesn't. Makes sense.

It does make sense when trying for tickets, because seniority doesn't matter.

You do know that seniority doesn't matter when it come to who gets, or doesn't get tickets?

What shows did you choose and what order to you make your choices?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. Just trying to help out a little of what i've experienced with the Lottery.
  • Options
    gmonet said:

If seniority doesn't matter then why have member numbers at all? The only people who think seniority doesn't matter are people with high numbers the only people to think seniority matters are those with low numbers. The bottom line is the lottery system is terrible

this. since the lottery system is so popular for whatever reason, make the seat assignments a lottery too. watch how fast people cling to their seniority when that happens.
  • Options
    gmonet said:

I thought on the 2003 tour that the people bitches about where their seats were I do not remember anybody getting shut out of concerts. There are Pearl Jam fan club members today that got zero tickets to any of their concerts that is unacceptable

this is what i mean. there are huge changes that have happened, and the fact that other fans will not recognize this is troubling.
  • Options
    gmonetgmonet Posts: 37
    cutz said:

gmonet said:

You do know that seniority doesn't matter when it come to who gets, or doesn't get tickets?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. Just trying to help out a little of what i've experienced with the Lottery.
    I got my tickets today. I just hate seeing folks get shut out. The point I'm making is that the way you select shows should not be a factor if how long you've been following the band isn't. When I watch PJ20 do I see a vignette of people saying "this is my first show" or "this is my 3rd show?" No, what makes PJ PJ is the long time fans that are now getting shit on because the band regrets being aloof when there was a ton of cash to be made. I just wish PJ could say, "we'll take the MSG for 2 nights and sell all of the tix to our fans. Why doesn't that happen...ever? All grown up I guess. PJ, Inc.
  • Options

gmonet said:

If seniority doesn't matter then why have member numbers at all? The only people who think seniority doesn't matter are people with high numbers the only people to think seniority matters are those with low numbers. The bottom line is the lottery system is terrible

this. since the lottery system is so popular for whatever reason, make the seat assignments a lottery too. watch how fast people cling to their seniority when that happens.
    At least there's one old timer with some sense.
  • Options
    I gave them 10 different choices and got none of them. very depressing.
  • Options

gmonet said:

I thought on the 2003 tour that the people bitches about where their seats were I do not remember anybody getting shut out of concerts. There are Pearl Jam fan club members today that got zero tickets to any of their concerts that is unacceptable

this is what i mean. there are huge changes that have happened, and the fact that other fans will not recognize this is troubling.
    Was it in 05 when they did the onsale online and the system couldn't handle it? That was a major CF. The changes aren't to make it fair, it's to make it easier for Ten Club and to get new fans into the fold so they can sell more back catalog. The useful idiots that defend it hurt everybody.
  • Options
    gmonet said:

gmonet said:

Was it in 05 when they did the onsale online and the system couldn't handle it? That was a major CF. The changes aren't to make it fair, it's to make it easier for Ten Club and to get new fans into the fold so they can sell more back catalog. The useful idiots that defend it hurt everybody.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    cutz said:

GummiBeer said:

I can't understand how someone can win 6 out of 7 shows and others who apply for one or two are completely shut out. How is that fair?, how does that get more loyal fans to be able to see them?

Supply and demand. It's pretty simple.
    Plus, it depends on how you choose the shows. I've seen examples on here and it's no wonder some did not win, because of the priority in which they chose their shows.
    Exactly. I've seen priority selections posted on here that are just laughable. Then, you get all the posts of how people "believe" the lottery works or their "theory" of how it works. It works one way and it is pretty simple to understand.

One thing that I did think of that would be nice. If you get reserved as your 7th pick and someone picked it as their first. The 7th pick shouldn't have the better seat than the 1st pick no matter what the seniority is. Seat numbers should be assigned based on seniority within each priority selection. That shouldn't be hard to implement...not 100 percent sure of the repercussions but it sounds sensible to me.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    If you want in the building you get there. Fan club tickets are not a guarantee and this is one the biggest bands in the world.

How are they supposed to make sure everyone gets tickets?

All the same complaints happened with all the old systems.

I won this time but I've lost out in the past too. And when I wanted to see Pearl Jam I have and so can/will you.

This isn't directed at the OP or anyone specific. I completely understand the frustration. But you haven't missed anything until the show happened and you weren't there.

Put the positive vibes out an get ready for the on sale Friday. And good luck.
  • Options
    On second thought - some other comments here are pretty laughable. I still stand by what I said. But the band should gua
    gmonet said:

cutz said:

gmonet said:

I got my tickets today. I just hate seeing folks get shut out. The point I'm making is that the way you select shows should not be a factor if how long you've been following the band isn't. When I watch PJ20 do I see a vignette of people saying "this is my first show" or "this is my 3rd show?" No, what makes PJ PJ is the long time fans that are now getting shit on because the band regrets being aloof when there was a ton of cash to be made. I just wish PJ could say, "we'll take the MSG for 2 nights and sell all of the tix to our fans. Why doesn't that happen...ever? All grown up I guess. PJ, Inc.
    It doesn't happen because it can't

• Options
    subpoprockcitysubpoprockcity Posts: 241
    edited January 2016

If you want in the building you get there. Fan club tickets are not a guarantee and this is one the biggest bands in the world.

How are they supposed to make sure everyone gets tickets?

All the same complaints happened with all the old systems.

I won this time but I've lost out in the past too. And when I wanted to see Pearl Jam I have and so can/will you.

This isn't directed at the OP or anyone specific. I completely understand the frustration. But you haven't missed anything until the show happened and you weren't there.

Put the positive vibes out an get ready for the on sale Friday. And good luck.

Right, so if there were complains about other systems, what makes the lottery any better than seniority?

Several recent posts have documented that this is the first time several members have been totally shut out. Not one date, not one city. This was much, much less of an issue in previous tours, and where the frustration comes from. These are big ass arenas, they aren't short on seats even if you include the corporate seats at most stadiums, and this is not the band that was selling a million albums in a week.
    Post edited by subpoprockcity on
  • Options

gmonet said:

I agree with the original post here. I've been a fan club member since 94 and I'm sorry that everybody's late to the party but after this much time I should get tickets to any show I want anytime I want. Philadelphia in 2003 had over 10,010 club tickets. The fact is, Pearl Jam sold out and they don't have the same number of tickets available that they did back then. Live nation sells them now and we happily pay fees when we used to have to travel to East Girish to see these guys. Oh yeah, I think they're rolling out a new South American bootleg tonight. Remember when you could get those all on one day? Sell out!

You want special treatment. Give me a break.
    +1 in a big f'n way!!!!
    This one is pretty hilarious.

• Options

On second thought - some other comments here are pretty laughable. I still stand by what I said. But the band should gua

gmonet said:

cutz said:

gmonet said:

It doesn't happen because it can't

Why can't it? Think they played Randall's Island because of the acoustics? If this is one of the "biggest bands in the world" they can call the shots. They choose not to at early fan club members expense. I get it, everybody grows up and gets in line. This band did.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    gmonet said:

cutz said:

gmonet said:

It cracks me up that there are people who think Pearl Jam has this kind of power to buy MSG (or any major venue) for 2 nights for its fans. Do you even know how much that would cost? Don't you think that if it were really possible, every huge band would be doing it?
  • Options

gmonet said:

cutz said:

gmonet said:

It cracks me up that there are people who think Pearl Jam has this kind of power to buy MSG (or any major venue) for 2 nights for its fans. Do you even know how much that would cost? Don't you think that if it were really possible, every huge band would be doing it?
    I will agree this is a little out of reach, but they would recoup all of that cash with the tickets.

It has been done. I'm not suggesting it's realistic all the time, but it's not w/o precedent. That venue would sell out completely, and with the cut the band is getting, still be lucrative.
  • Options
    Huge band? I bet NC and SC shows aren't sold out. Florida for that matter. That's what cracks me up. You're right, they cant buy out MSG because they are now whores to their corporate masters (a little harsh but...). If this band wanted to be of the people there would me zero people shut out today. Apparently the band wants to do something else.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Trixie said:

Since joining TenClub back in 2000, I've never NOT gotten great tickets to their shows. I was just notified that I was not "selected" for tickets to the Toronto show. Back when this new system was introduced, I must say I was pretty disgusted that our favourite band would even go this route, however, I still got my tickets so I didn't complain. I've just been told that my name wasn't drawn and therefore would have to wait until the public sale happened. I'm sorry but what the fuck am I paying $50 a year for.? Who gives a shit about the Christmas single (I don't own a turntable and it never arrives unbroken or on time), I could care less about DEEP, etc. I pay to get decent seats to their concerts. THAT'S IT!!!!!! No longer will I be a member of this club. I don't throw money away, but apparently I have been for the last three years (last time I got something for my money). I looked for "contact" info so I could tell Ten Club and Pearl Jam that I'm done with throwing money away and found out you can't contact them. Hmmmmm. Congrats to all that are going to a show and if I'm wrong about contacting (not that it'll do any good), this Pearl Jam fan has some serious thinking to do about Ten Club .... so disappointed

So many things wrong with this argument.

1. Economics 101: When Demand is greater than Supply - customers can not all be accommodated. Whether this is Pearl Jam tickets or bananas, the same logic applies.
    2. From the Ten Club membership page: "Priority ticketing: Ten Club holds the best seats in the house for members-only pre-sales and rewards long-time fans for their dedication with seniority-based seating. Ticket allocations and box-office relations are handled in-house to ensure that the best tickets end up in the hands of Ten Club members. Although members are not guaranteed tickets, they are given the best chance at the best seats via a drawing, before the public on-sales." This isn't buried in fine print, it's one of ten sentences about the Ten Club.
    3. With the current number of fans, if it wasn't a lottery, it would be a persistent website crashing (and trying to get tickets from my recollection may as well have been a lottery, albeit one which created more frustration and wasted more time). If, in the event that the website didn't crash, then you'd have 10,000 people pushing refresh to try to get access to 1,000 tickets (just a guess). You know what I call that when 10,000 people do an identical act and only 1,000 actually get through? A lottery. If you've been a member since 2000, surely you remember the days of F5, since I do and I only joined five years after you.
    4. Rather than complaining that once you didn't have luck on your side this one time, why not consider yourself lucky that you DID every other since 2000? Most did not.
    5. When I didn't win the lottery - I found amazing humans on here who helped me find amazing seats every time I needed them, and out of the goodness of their hearts, charged me not a penny more than face value. Reach out on here; there are plenty of great souls!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    gmonet said:

cutz said:

gmonet said:

If you got your tickets, then why did you start a thread that states: I lost in the lottery-I AM PISSED!!!!!!>LOL>(for the ones who didn't score?) I hear what you're saying about people getting shut out. In a perfect world no one would get shut out, but this ain't the perfect world>LOL. I understand your point but with this system the way you select shows, it is a factor. We all wish PJ could have all the tickets for the MSG & Philly shows to sell to the 10C members, buy we know they can't do that (because of Ticketmaster?). So, i guess the new fans should get shit on, like a kid in high school who just discovered PJ? I think what makes PJ PJ is a combination of long time fans and NEW/YOUNGER fans attending the shows.
  • Options
    The best chance at the best seats.... with members getting all five of their choices and others getting squat. sorry, don't buy it.
  • Options
    gmonet said:

cutz said:

gmonet said:

I just wish PJ could say, "we'll take the MSG for 2 nights and sell all of the tix to our fans. Why doesn't that happen...ever? All grown up I guess. PJ, Inc.
    You don't understand the business side of the concert industry. You are living in a fantasy land if you somehow think the band has the option to take all the tickets and sell them directly, and they don't because they are "all grown up".
    Gorge
  • Options
    mcrok said:

cutz said:

GummiBeer said:

I can't understand how someone can win 6 out of 7 shows and others who apply for one or two are completely shut out. How is that fair?, how does that get more loyal fans to be able to see them?

Supply and demand. It's pretty simple.
    Plus, it depends on how you choose the shows. I've seen examples on here and it's no wonder some did not win, because of the priority in which they chose their shows.
    Exactly. I've seen priority selections posted on here that are just laughable. Then, you get all the posts of how people "believe" the lottery works or their "theory" of how it works. It works one way and it is pretty simple to understand.

One thing that I did think of that would be nice. If you get reserved as your 7th pick and someone picked it as their first. The 7th pick shouldn't have the better seat than the 1st pick no matter what the seniority is. Seat numbers should be assigned based on seniority within each priority selection. That shouldn't be hard to implement...not 100 percent sure of the repercussions but it sounds sensible to me.
    I was thinking about that too(base seating on your picks no matter of seniority). But, is it easy to implement that? IDK as i'm low-tech>LOL
  • Options
    gmonet said:

gmonet said:

How does this make sense for the band?
    Gorge
  • Options

gmonet said:

gmonet said:

How does this make sense for the band?
    they've done it before. they will make money either way.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2016

The best chance at the best seats.... with members getting all five of their choices and others getting squat. sorry, don't buy it.

With the lottery it all came down to which cities you wanted and the priority. If your 1,2, and 3 were NY, Philly and Toronto. Your 4th better be a small market reserved seating choice.

And in that scenario, you might get lucky and hit 1 or 2 of those first picks, and prolly get your 4th. But odds are with you to get that 4th pick even if you lose the first 3.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

With the lottery it all came down to which cities you wanted and the priority. If your 1,2, and 3 were NY, Philly and Toronto. Your 4th better be a small market reserved seating choice.

And in that scenario, you might get lucky and hit 1 or 2 of those first picks, and prolly get your 4th. But odds are with you to get that 4th pick even if you lose the first 3.
    right, and yet there are still people in here that did just that, and got nothing.
This discussion has been closed.