Options

Could You Kill a Baby Hitler?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015

I always say where I am coming from. The fact that I feel awkward saying "I am proud to be German" does not mean that I am ashamed of where I come from. I am just aware of things and maybe a bit more sensitive when it comes to stuff like that. Because of where I am from :)

Well I would certainly bet that the hitler guy has no bearing on who you are.
    In fact I am willingly to bet he has nothing on you.
    Hi Leezestarr, nice to meet you.
    Germany is on my list of places to visit.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761

I always say where I am coming from. The fact that I feel awkward saying "I am proud to be German" does not mean that I am ashamed of where I come from. I am just aware of things and maybe a bit more sensitive when it comes to stuff like that. Because of where I am from :)

I just think its cool that you're from Germany, Leezestarr, because for one thing you are cool in my book and most of what I know about Germany today also sounds great. I have few friends from Germany and one who is a close friend who is from/lives in Muenster. I've gotten to understand some about that country through him and others and it seems like a fine place to me.

A far as how all this ties in to the subject, I don't know anybody who would defend Hitler but I also don't know anybody who has a problem with Germany. If I could travel that far, I would definitely want to check out some of the German countryside and cities there. And then I really would learn more of the language beside Guten Tag, Auf Wiedersehen and my favorite word, ausgezeichnet !
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I felt this way when I was in Europe, it's painful to imagine the Trump supporting, classless yokel that people may assume you to be when they find out you are American.
    Didn't make it to Germany, but Austria was beyond amazing, it really put Italy to shame!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Why just Hitler? How about the tool who ordered the bombs dropped on Japan? The Khans? Hell why not every person who thought their power was good enough to encroached others land and kill the natives their. The population of the world would be much better and all the tools would be bye-bye.

"Could you spare a dime
    Well I'm sick of it, it's a load of shit
    We could stop the world and let of all the fools"

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    It is good to read how much you all like Germany, it is a fine country and if you can, you should go and visit :)

Just to clarify because I think maybe somehow I feel it might have gotten lost... All I was trying to say, I guess, was that I personally cannot bring myself to say, "Ich bin stolz, Deutscher zu sein." And I wrote this in German because that is where my problem lies. This phrase has been abused in the past, and to me it has very negative connotations, so I'd rather use other words to express my love for my homecountry.
    Germans love their country, but nationalism leaves a bad taste in our mouth. And maybe there is development in that. At the soccer championships in recent years, Germans have started to fly the German flag again, connected with rooting for the German team, singing and celebrating the sports heros. Whole cities can be covered in German flags at that time. But it is only for the time of the championships. After that, they are gone. After that, only the nazi shrinkbrains shout DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND! Maybe Germans do feel a sense of nationalism, but nowadays, it is very subtle, and we go about it carefully :)

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Was reading about the fall of the Berlin wall a few days ago on its anniversary. Pretty crazy that some east german dude didn't get the right info, went on TV and when pressed by reporters basically said, "I guess the border is open right now", and poof .... doors open! A bloodless revolution ...
  • Options
    Yup, pretty amazing :)
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    My family lived in Berlin during the war and mom grew up amongst the rubble. Needless to say you can't get another food item into fridge or pantry. Opa never talked about the war but he and my American GPa that fought him became great friends.

Have had a D on back of my old chevy for 20 years. Appreciate my German influences yet also very critical of blind allegiance.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

Appreciate my German influences yet also very critical of blind allegiance.

Right on.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    callen said:

My family lived in Berlin during the war and mom grew up amongst the rubble. Needless to say you can't get another food item into fridge or pantry. Opa never talked about the war but he and my American GPa that fought him became great friends.

Have had a D on back of my old chevy for 20 years. Appreciate my German influences yet also very critical of blind allegiance.

To the bolded part, because of that fucking war - such hunger during battle or in foxholes - my dad, in all of my memories, never left a scrap of food on any plate from which he was eating. Or from which we were eating and didn't finish =)

Agree with Leeze's right-on to your last sentence.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,282
    I would cause a Paradox. My family (both sides) have their history in the Netherlands. Both were impacted by the war. My paternal grandfather was taken from Holland to work at farm in Germany. That's where he met my Grandmother.

No Hitler, No WW2, my grandparents would never have met, and I wouldn't be here posting this now. I might destroy the universe by going back in time to do it. Because doing it prevents my existance, so how can I be there to do it... lol.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    Zod said:

I would cause a Paradox. My family (both sides) have their history in the Netherlands. Both were impacted by the war. My paternal grandfather was taken from Holland to work at farm in Germany. That's where he met my Grandmother.

No Hitler, No WW2, my grandparents would never have met, and I wouldn't be here posting this now. I might destroy the universe by going back in time to do it. Because doing it prevents my existance, so how can I be there to do it... lol.

this is exactly how we know time travel (in the hollywood sense) is not possible.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    So I opened this thread for the first time today and read most of the first page and page 9.

Fuck killing baby Hitler. Kidnap the baby and place him in a good foster home in Canada. Canadians never start shit.

I spent a week in Berlin last year and it's honestly the only place on my Euro trip I'd like to do again. I think it's the type of place you need a connection in the city to fully appreciate. I mean I thoroughly enjoyed the walk I took along the wall and I had some great goulash (my dad used to make it and I haven't had it in probably 10 years) but it felt like I was missing something.
    Of course the fact that I'd gotten sick the moment I got there and there was a bunch of events blocking the public spaces i wanted to go see probably contributed lol
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435