Options

Could You Kill a Baby Hitler?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    mickeyrat said:

Round and round we go, over a bullshit premise based in illogical fantasy.

Need to rename the subforum to a moving merry-go-round. It seems we have movement but we never get anywhere.

what's wrong with discussing the hypothetical? I find it very interesting.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,906

mickeyrat said:

Need to rename the subforum to a moving merry-go-round. It seems we have movement but we never get anywhere.

I would prefer plausibility.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    mickeyrat said:

Who cares? It's an interesting hypothetical to discuss. I think it's fun to talk about the philosophical and practical aspects of altering history! There are movies and books about it, it brings up interesting points about history and how events affected the world, etc. The point of discussing shit isn't always just to change minds.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

I would prefer plausibility.
    I guess you're in the wrong thread then?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    Let's discuss how you are all going to hypothetically make me a millionaire. LOL... sorry! It's that kind of morning!

OK but seriously, what is there to be gained from discussing the (as far as we know) impossible? I'm still sincerely not sure what the purpose of this is.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    brianlux said:

Let's discuss how you are all going to hypothetically make me a millionaire. LOL... sorry! It's that kind of morning!

OK but seriously, what is there to be gained from discussing the (as far as we know) impossible? I'm still sincerely not sure what the purpose of this is.

For me, I just think it's fun to think about the possibilities. I also think it's fun to be challenged to answer difficult questions of morality. The way I see it, why wouldn't you want to discuss the impossible?? I love the "what would you do if..." games.
    Also, obviously people do have something to say about this. Just that right there shows that it is worthwhile to talk about it. The only useless thread is the one where no one has anything to say.
    This thread discusses history, Hitler's role in history, tells us something about the people answering, lets us use our imagination, discusses the possible ramifications of changing history, etc. All worthwhile!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

For me, I just think it's fun to think about the possibilities. I also think it's fun to be challenged to answer difficult questions of morality. The way I see it, why wouldn't you want to discuss the impossible?? I love the "what would you do if..." games.
    Also, obviously people do have something to say about this. Just that right there shows that it is worthwhile to talk about it. The only useless thread is the one where no one has anything to say.
    This thread discusses history, Hitler's role in history, tells us something about the people answering, lets us use our imagination, discusses the possible ramifications of changing history, etc. All worthwhile!
    exactly, and it's also educated me a bit on the history of how WW2 came about (I don't recall it being heavily covered in my grade 11 history class). how could education ever be a bad thing?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For me, it's interesting to simply imagine what-ifs. No different than pondering other impossible or implausible scenarios. Makes me think about ripples and gets my brain muscle grinding.

No Hitler -

Dad would've grown up as he should have with his parents, probably always a German citizen, denizen, a happy kid with a childhood not cut short at 14. His mom wouldn't have died in a fucking camp, my grandpa would've continued practicing science.

And, I'd not be here.

Not my place to say either are "shoulds", just from here, worth the contemplation.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nice wavelengths this morning :)
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,538
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    :)
    I guess we should also remember that, if we did decide to kill Hitler, chances are none of us would exist, assuming you think that our existence just relies on the dumb luck of the right sperm reaching the right egg. I figure that if any of our parents or grandparents had done the deed a minute earlier or a minute later when we or our parents were conceived, a different person would have been born. And I assume that if Hitler had never existed, perhaps our Grandmothers might have still given birth to our parents IF they were born before WWII (unless they were German - if they were, then probably not), but there is almost no possibility that our parents would have been born if they were conceived after 1938 or so. The world would now mostly be populated by completely different people, and our entire world would therefore likely be quite different than it is now in many ways. Maybe better. Maybe worse. I personally am okay with this idea, since none of us would ever have known the difference anyway. Of course, if you believe that each of us were born for a larger reason than the fact that our dad happened to blow his load at the right moment with the right woman, well, that's another story. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Lets go back further. And prevent the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. Would WW1 have transpired? Or let that all play out but changes be made to the Treaty of Versailles that allowed for some national dignity of Germany in the aftermath..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    While you good people are deciding on whether to kill baby Hitler or not, I'm off to my favorite records store today on my day off. Talk about good wavelengths! :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Lets go back further. And prevent the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. Would WW1 have transpired? Or let that all play out but changes be made to the Treaty of Versailles that allowed for some national dignity of Germany in the aftermath..

Maybe we need a thread for all possible actions we may or may not take during time travel....
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Ha! Without the war, my Grandpa would not have made the trek from Poland to my hometown as a soldier and would never have laid eyes on my beautiful grandmother who helped my great grandma out at the soldier kitchen.

Anyways, Nazis still suck (my grandparents weren't nazis), and I hope they never gain power ever again.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    trippy. the whole idea of time travel to me makes no sense anyway. if it already happened, then it already happened. so going back and "changing it" already happened as well, as this episode explored.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

Maybe we need a thread for all possible actions we may or may not take during time travel....
    If the stated end result of holocaust prevention is the goal the this thread works just fine.

• Options
    as I was trying to say, but this says it better: The Hitler Murder Paradox

A variant of the grandfather paradox is the Hitler paradox or Hitler's murder paradox,[5] a fairly frequent trope in science fiction, in which the protagonist travels back in time to murder Adolf Hitler before he can instigate World War II. Rather than necessarily physically preventing time travel, the action removes any reason for the travel, along with any knowledge that the reason ever existed, thus removing any point in travelling in time in the first place.[6] Additionally, the consequences of Hitler's existence are so monumental and all-encompassing that for anyone born after the war, it is likely that their birth was influenced in some way by its effects, and thus the grandfather paradox would directly apply in some way.[7]
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    brianlux said:

Bri,were making progress.I love when we get you talking about wanting more money.it brings out your sexy capitolistic side.lol
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940
    This time-traveling hipster dude was totally looking for baby Hitler.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I love the what ifs. If there hadn't been WWII, my blue collar dad wouldn't have had the GI bill to pay for graduate school, get a degree in journalism, get a job at a paper where he met my mom, etc.

What if. I said it before, this great book, Fatherland. Hitler wins the war. Who's the president of the U.S. in 1964? Joe Kennedy. JKK's father.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

Bri,were making progress.I love when we get you talking about wanting more money.it brings out your sexy capitolistic side.lol
    :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JimmyV said:

LOL!! It really does look like that! Is that a photoshop or real??
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

I love the what ifs. If there hadn't been WWII, my blue collar dad wouldn't have had the GI bill to pay for graduate school, get a degree in journalism, get a job at a paper where he met my mom, etc.

What if. I said it before, this great book, Fatherland. Hitler wins the war. Who's the president of the U.S. in 1964? Joe Kennedy. JKK's father.

I'm definitely going to check out that book.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

If the stated end result of holocaust prevention is the goal the this thread works just fine.
    Okay. I just meant a thread where that isn't the only end result being considered.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2015
    Enkidu said:

After reading the KL concentration camp book, I looked up a photo of dead Himmler. He took a cyanide pill (hidden in his tooth) and the picture isn't grisly, he just looks like he's asleep. I like the idea of you, Chadwick, snipering his evil ass.

it made me sad when i found out himmler bit into a cyanide capsule. i mean i was hoping he was going to be hung or had suffered awhile but no, the bastard had to chomp down on a cyanide capsule taking his own life... easy way out for the chicken shit coward

dr. josef mengele, "the angel of death", this prick had a stroke while swimming & drowned at a vacation resort in brazil february 7, 1979. he's buried under the bullshit name "wolfgang gerhard”

this guy's the ultimate piece of shit who shoulda drowned a whole lot sooner
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,538

23scidoo said:
    trippy. the whole idea of time travel to me makes no sense anyway. if it already happened, then it already happened. so going back and "changing it" already happened as well, as this episode explored.
    it was funny..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

LOL!! It really does look like that! Is that a photoshop or real??
    Seen it around the internet a few times and people always claim it is real. I tend to think it is a photoshop but who knows for sure?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Exactly... how... the hell... is RG... without his beard... looking for Baby Hitler in this picture?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Who is RG?