Options

WWII

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Enkidu said:

Enkidu said:

dudeman said:

I just started watching Band of Brothers today. So far, I would say it's "must see" programming.

Would you believe I actually started watching it again last night, after only finishing it last month. I read the book it was based on since then and decided I needed to watch it again
    I've watched it over and over. It's amazing how much stuff you catch when you watch it again. Now I want to watch it right now.

The Pacific wasn't nearly as good - I was very disappointed. Not awful, but Band of Brothers really is one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.
    Damien Lewis was a great casting for Band of Brothers, maybe the Pacific lacked that strong central character. I still think it was fairly powerful though
    You know what's funny? I watched The Pacific and I can't remember who was in it. That kid actor who grew up - I can't remember his name. So I agree. Damien Lewis was so great and Ron Livingston and Scott Grimes and Matthew Settle (wow, how do I know this - David Swimmer was a little annoying to me). But I can't tell you a single name from The Pacific. Go figure.
    Ah well I actually knew the actor who played Leckie and I like him but unfortunately he wasn't in it the whole way through. I think the Pacific was a little more disjointed, hopping back and forth between America, the Pacific, Melbourne etc
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    what did you guys think of inglorious bastards? I thought it was terrible but people rave about it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

what did you guys think of inglorious bastards? I thought it was terrible but people rave about it.

It wasn't a classic war flick. It was entertainment of the 'Kill Bill' variety, but that's about it.

Has anyone mentioned The Thin Red Line yet? I thought that was a solid WWII movie.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

It wasn't a classic war flick. It was entertainment of the 'Kill Bill' variety, but that's about it.

Has anyone mentioned The Thin Red Line yet? I thought that was a solid WWII movie.
    agree. The thin red line was slow in parts but I really liked it. If I was fighting in WW2 give me europe over the pacific any day of the week. The Japanese were nuts!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

agree. The thin red line was slow in parts but I really liked it. If I was fighting in WW2 give me europe over the pacific any day of the week. The Japanese were nuts!
    Agreed.

From what I've read... the Pacific was horrific.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    japanese fighters in WWII were ...

put it this way
    you'd be better off fighting germans or being a pow in a german prison camp
    japan's prisoners of war did not do well
    these are actual facts

nazis were kinder to their captives of war than the japanese were to theirs
    fact

you want to check something out? 'bataan death march'
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Agreed with Thirty about the Inglorious film.

Maybe this is out of line, but Mel Brooks' To Be or Not to Be was hilarious. Plus he and Mrs. Robinson seemed like they had a sweet and loving marriage.

And, Mel served in WWII.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

mcgruff10 said:

Thin Red Line is so odd, but I really liked it. One of my favorite soundtracks ever.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah I think the Pacific manages to portray their utter insanity. It was like they were fighting WWI rather than WWII just charging mindlessly into gunfire, all for their beloved emperor. The German soldiers were in essence not much different to the Americans, for the most part fairly reluctant participants in a war not of their making
  • Options
    Heres a tough one: which was worse, fighting the Japanese or being on either side of the German/russian front? I might have to go with the japs in this one. It s close!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    starting in 2010 i started buying signed books/posters from the real Band of Brothers soldiers. #1 they're true legends. #2 it helped supplement their retirements. It was a nice way to say thanks and to get a really cool piece of history.

Most of those guys died in the last five years so im really glad i did. Sad that the WW2 soldiers will all be in the past soon.
  • Options

starting in 2010 i started buying signed books/posters from the real Band of Brothers soldiers. #1 they're true legends. #2 it helped supplement their retirements. It was a nice way to say thanks and to get a really cool piece of history.

Most of those guys died in the last five years so im really glad i did. Sad that the WW2 soldiers will all be in the past soon.

It really is sad, that's a huge chunk of our history passing away with them. At least many of them seem to have committed their recollections to record
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    years ago my boss had his father with us at a salmon hatchery where he helped out every year. this was the first time i met him. i forget his name. he wore a pearl harbor survivor hat. i was in awe of this guy as was everyone there at the hatchery. being near him felt like floating on a cloud & being numb (in a good way). he was a perfect gentleman. people just seemed to change instantly being in his presence. he liked me a lot & complimented me a few times on my tractor/trailer backing skills at this tight spot we had to back down into.

he is a great man
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If you are ever in the Austin / San Antonio region, it's worth making the trip to nearby (by Texas standards) Fredericksburg and go to the National Museum of the Pacific War. It is pretty amazing and I'm not huge on going to museums.

One thing I didn't realize is that after the 2nd H-Bomb, when military leaders learned the emperor was going to surrender, they staged a failed coup.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    There's an interesting book on the Bataan Death March (and what happened after) called Tears in the Darkness by Michael and Elizabeth Norman. It's pretty awful - not the book, what happened.

The Rick Atkinson Liberation Trilogy (about the war in Europe) is also good. Very dense though.

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,984
    The things that happened on Saipan were, IMO some of the most horrible things humans have had to endure. When I saw that on WWII in HD, I wept.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

The things that happened on Saipan were, IMO some of the most horrible things humans have had to endure. When I saw that on WWII in HD, I wept.

Are you talking about when the indieginous people jumped off cliffs en masse as opposed to surrendering to the Americans?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

Are you talking about when the indieginous people jumped off cliffs en masse as opposed to surrendering to the Americans?
    Yeah. After being subject to the shit the Japanese put them through, they were told by the Japanese that the Americans would do horrific things to them. Rather than find out, the people were pitching their children over the cliffs, cutting their throats, drowning them and then jumping off the cliffs themselves. Just sickening..........
  • Options
    dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

Yeah. After being subject to the shit the Japanese put them through, they were told by the Japanese that the Americans would do horrific things to them. Rather than find out, the people were pitching their children over the cliffs, cutting their throats, drowning them and then jumping off the cliffs themselves. Just sickening..........
    Jesus there are so many aspects of WWII that I have yet to learn about. So many terrible events of which I was unaware
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,560
    Was on a plane today with a WWII veteran.
    Made sure to thank him for his service.
    He seemed to be very appreciative.

I am always sure to thank veterans for their service matter which war or wars they have seved in.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

yeah the japanese taught those people to fear the americans. pure craziness.
  • Options
    I thought Enemy at the Gates was a great WWII film. It was interesting for me to see how propaganda was so effective at keeping the Russians in the fight. They faced some truly horrible situations and their leadership was all about the end result, no matter the cost to be paid with soldiers lives.

Great acting, too.
  • Options
    I've been watching a lot of documentaries in the last few weeks (still continually amazed by the incredible footage), last night there was a bit about Hitler executing 200 Germans he decided were complicit in the attempt on his life. There was even footage of the trial, just mad
  • Options
    So I've been reading a brilliant book by Stephen Ambrose called 'Citizen Soldiers'. He gives fantastic accounts from frontline soldiers on both sides and there are some great stories, so I thought I might share a couple with ye that made an impression on me (however small an event)...

Even in the bloody chaos of Falaise, a humane spirit could come over these young men so far from home. Lt. Hans-Heinrich Dibbern, of Panzer Grenadier Regiment 902, set up a roadblock outside Argenten. "From the direction of the American line came an ambulance driving towards us", he remembered. "The driver was obviously lost. When he noticed that he was behind German lines, he slammed on the brakes." Dibbern went to the ambulance. "The driver's face was completely white. He had wounded men he was responsible for. But we told him, 'back out of here and get going - we don't attack the Red Cross'. He quickly disappeared."

An hour or so later, "here comes another Red Cross truck. It pulls up right in front of us. The driver got out, opened the back and took out a crate. He set it down on the street and drove away. We feared a bomb, but nothing happened and we were curious. We opened the box and it was filled with Chesterfield cigarettes."

- Hans-Heinrich Dibbern interview by Hugh Ambrose

• Options

So I've been reading a brilliant book by Stephen Ambrose called 'Citizen Soldiers'. He gives fantastic accounts from frontline soldiers on both sides and there are some great stories, so I thought I might share a couple with ye that made an impression on me (however small an event)...

Even in the bloody chaos of Falaise, a humane spirit could come over these young men so far from home. Lt. Hans-Heinrich Dibbern, of Panzer Grenadier Regiment 902, set up a roadblock outside Argenten. "From the direction of the American line came an ambulance driving towards us", he remembered. "The driver was obviously lost. When he noticed that he was behind German lines, he slammed on the brakes." Dibbern went to the ambulance. "The driver's face was completely white. He had wounded men he was responsible for. But we told him, 'back out of here and get going - we don't attack the Red Cross'. He quickly disappeared."

An hour or so later, "here comes another Red Cross truck. It pulls up right in front of us. The driver got out, opened the back and took out a crate. He set it down on the street and drove away. We feared a bomb, but nothing happened and we were curious. We opened the box and it was filled with Chesterfield cigarettes."

Ambrose is my favorite author. Read the victors next.
  • Options

Take all those young men out of role, place them in a pub in a different context, and they would be laughing and drinking together.

I'll always remember the scene in Private Ryan when the one soldier was dying- wounded trying to take out those German gun fortifications- and beginning to panic, "I don't wanna die. I don't wanna die."

It stopped and made me think that 100,000 killed or 23,000 killed is only a statistic. Every unique and individual contribution to the total was a human life that had experienced joy and pleasure prior to dying on some f**king field or beach. Just brutal.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

It's on my list :) Have Pegasus Bridge and requested D-Day from the library today. Next up for me is Eugene Sledge 'With the Old Breed' though
  • Options

Take all those young men out of role, place them in a pub in a different context, and they would be laughing and drinking together.

I'll always remember the scene in Private Ryan when the one soldier was dying- wounded trying to take out those German gun fortifications- and beginning to panic, "I don't wanna die. I don't wanna die."

It stopped and made me think that 100,000 killed or 23,000 killed is only a statistic. Every unique and individual contribution to the total was a human life that had experienced joy and pleasure prior to dying on some f**king field or beach. Just brutal.
    Absolutely, the most awful thing is how expendable they seemed, just pieces on a chess board. The statistics Ambrose gives for replacements tells the tale
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    "Satan laughing, spreads his wings"... end of War Pigs, Black Sabbath.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

It's on my list :) Have Pegasus Bridge and requested D-Day from the library today. Next up for me is Eugene Sledge 'With the Old Breed' though
    Dude "with the old breed
    " is amazing. You won't be able to
    Put it down. If you want a cool Vietnam read try "the things we carried".