Options

WWII

jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
So over the past few months I've been watching Band of Brothers and the Pacific. Both series were in equal measures captivating and truly horrifying. I struggle to imagine what those soldiers went through or how those who survived coped with what they had seen and done. Men were sent to their deaths in their thousands, giving me a new understanding of the phrase disposable heroes. It's near impossible to comprehend the sheer number of lives lost, now mere figures in black and white in our history books.

We can only hope that we are now in a place where we can be reasonably confident that we will never face such a war again. Yet war still rages around the world and men continue to commit unspeakable acts of cruelty, in the name of what? Their god, their country? Just what is it that they think they're fighting for? I admit to being extremely naive and my simplistic view would be that we all share a common desire, to live a reasonably long and happy life amongst our loved ones. Who are these war-mongerers who spit on this notion and seek instead to force their will on others to satisfy their own twisted aims? Are they born different or what is it that leads them down that path of destruction?

I know I'm foolish to even think for one second that there is any logic or reason behind the acts of such men. I guess I'm just desperate for some explanation, for someone to tell me why all these men had to die such terrible deaths. Watching these recreations it does feel like some terrible fantasy, as such violence and death is quite simply inconceivable to me. In that sense, I know I'm lucky. I have thus far lived in a safe little bubble, untouched by such horror. We should never ever forget it though, nor should we ever stop striving to ensure it never ever happens again.

Must there always be war? Is it that much to hope that some day we could all seek our happiness in peace, rather than at the expense of others?

Forgive the rambling, just needed to vent, guess these dramatisations just really got to me...

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Systematic, ridiculously well-organized killing happened then, horrifyingly so. Still happens now.

Horrifyingly so, again.

Don't have much to add at this point (bit of a sensitive, historical and personal area for me), but I encourage you to continue to question - and vent, in your typical well-spoken way.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    Find a way to get us past tribalism, then we may begin to see progress toward the common desire you describe.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Nothing really to add except that Easy Company were some brave men. Love watching Band of Brothers.
  • Options
    Did this even happen?
  • Options

Did this even happen?

Did what happen?
  • Options

Did this even happen?

Please confirm you're not questioning that WWII happened.

Please.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Did this even happen?

Please confirm you're not questioning that WWII happened.

Please.
    I'm the last person to pick a fight but if somebody is about to disrespect the memory of all those who died WWII, I'm telling you now there is going to be trouble.

Trolling can only be taken so far before it crosses a line into something far more twisted
  • Options
    OP
    Your narrative is great.
    What are you asking though?
  • Options

OP
    Your narrative is great.

Like I said, I'm not even sure myself, think I was just spewing out a jumbled mix of thoughts and emotions. I suppose I'd like to know if we are resigned to the fact that war is an inevitable fact of life and humanity and that there is no hope of a peaceful world? In essence, is mankind indelibly flawed, with certain individuals determined to pursue their own ends at the expense of others, whatever the cost?
  • Options
    ^^^
    So which question is most important to you that you ask?
  • Options

^^^

Well the answer to the second question determines that of the first
  • Options

^^^

Your second question has two questions.
    Which one of all your questions do you want answered first?
  • Options

^^^

It hardly matters. You can answer all or none. I'm simply sharing thoughts and inviting others to do the same
  • Options

^^^

It hardly matters. You can answer all or none. I'm simply sharing thoughts and inviting others to do the same
    Your thoughts are mostly questions.
    That entails a lot of thinking for someone to answer many questions all at once.
  • Options

^^^

Your thoughts are mostly questions.
    That entails a lot of thinking for someone to answer many questions all at once.
    This is actually serious to some.

Worthy.

How about you trot your disrespect and mocking - for what reason, I don't know - out of this particular thread for now? Or come back when you have your big-boy pants on.
  • Options
    The OP who has questions after watching band of brothers and admits they live in a bubble and has been untouched by such horror is subject to big-boy questions.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788

OP
    Your narrative is great.

Like I said, I'm not even sure myself, think I was just spewing out a jumbled mix of thoughts and emotions. I suppose I'd like to know if we are resigned to the fact that war is an inevitable fact of life and humanity and that there is no hope of a peaceful world? In essence, is mankind indelibly flawed, with certain individuals determined to pursue their own ends at the expense of others, whatever the cost?
    I would judge yes to your second question. In total , Human beings are a parasite to the earth and each other. No way around that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Band of brothers is awesome; I show three episodes of it when teaching about ww2. Check out saving private next. A lot of vets say that s the movie that comes closest to the real thing. If you want to see what Vietnam was like, go for we were soldiers. Again vets I ve talked to said that s the closest to the real thing.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

The OP who has questions after watching band of brothers and admits they live in a bubble and has been untouched by such horror is subject to big-boy questions.

So quit trolling and ask some!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Every time I get impatient driving... I make sure I'm not getting impatient with an older gentleman.

For all I know... they were storming the beaches of Normandy.

It's sad that crusty old white haired rich men send young men out to kill and die for pride or profit. It's f**king brutal really.

Don't get me wrong... some hands are forced. But the aggressors are hardly ever on the side of righteousness.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Every time I get impatient driving... I make sure I'm not getting impatient with an older gentleman.

For all I know... they were storming the beaches of Normandy.

It's sad that crusty old white haired rich men send young men out to kill and die for pride or profit. It's f**king brutal really.

Don't get me wrong... some hands are forced. But the aggressors are hardly ever on the side of righteousness.

Right on.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Band of brothers is awesome; I show three episodes of it when teaching about ww2. Check out saving private next. A lot of vets say that s the movie that comes closest to the real thing. If you want to see what Vietnam was like, go for we were soldiers. Again vets I ve talked to said that s the closest to the real thing.

Will do, thanks
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Did this even happen?

The shit that the two of you consistently spew on here baffles me. Why do you have to be such contrarions??
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    My father was a Vietnam vet,enlisted 2 tours.My grandfather was in WW2 and was part of Battle of the Bulge.
    My dad deflected when I used to ask him about it.My grandfather was a bit more vocal and I think he saw some horrible shit.I know he always hated the Nazis and what they did to the Jewish people.He was upfront about some of the violence by his infantry unit and told me some stories of "krauts" they had battled up close.As a Jew And an American I know he felt a responsibility.(I think I respect that more than anything)
    After his death I happened upon his "war stuff" in a box in a storage room.Based on the amount of Nazi stuff I found It appears indeed he was thick in the shit.And he must have stripped the soldiers he personally overtaken of their arm bands ,swastikas and medals.It was quite eye opening and sobering.There is film in there I haven't watched and details of some battles along with certain clippings,news stories and the like.
    When It comes to WW2 I think It really showed the U.S. At its worst before our involvement (Letting Hitler advance and ethnically cleanse) and At its best during the war,with exception of certain internment camps here in the states.We really were one at that time and showed our patriotic best.and like 30 said,I also try to show my respect to the older generations that did serve to keep our freedoms safe.Its the very least we can do.
  • Options
    Damn, rr. What history in your family. I don't blame you for not having (yet?) watched the film.

My dad was pretty open with what he experienced during actual war - so glad we talked about it but wish I'd asked more - yet mouth zipped on the intelligence work he did after.

Still would like JAG to step up to her questioning of this "even happening".

Talk about being a victim - there were way WAY too many victims in that time. True ones.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited September 2015
    Hedo, I am so proud and intrigued that I rummaged the books and treasures to find an inspiration for some new ink.(I think I found some) as tribute to a great man.But more I dig the more questions I have.

It's funny you speak(or don't) of your fathers intelligence connection.My father was reported to be attached to a mechanical outpost near the China Beach Medical Outpost.Everything I could dig up was it was front cover for other activities.Like I said he didn't talk much.But I found a lot of sniper and marksmen stuff ,medals etc in his trinkets.Stuff a heavy jungle clearing mechanical unit shouldn't or wouldn't have.
    I met a vet years ago,when my mom ran a support group who said the area and unit in question was indeed knee deep in the action.And as I've posted previously my dad did eventually die of complications of Agent Orange exposure.
  • Options

Did this even happen?

The shit that the two of you consistently spew on here baffles me. Why do you have to be such contrarions??
    Please don't start with the bullying. I'm not spewing shit, I asked a question.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    War is a terrible waste. I will always risk getting fried on these boards (yes, it's happened) standing up for peace.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Did this even happen?

So (and asked in a very gentle, non-bullying way), what would prompt such a question?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2015

Did this even happen?

Oh for goodness' sake. Get over yourself. No one is bullying you. You made an idiotic remark and you always post combative material. I'm not bullying you, I simply don't like you because you always post stupid crap like this. If anyone is guilty of bullying, it's you. You are ALWAYS combative. I'm just calling you out on it.