Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    for you to close your eyes and not see the entire

no more than you and your source's, it's all the same info with a different presentation so if you don't like the delivery change the channel right ?

I've seen these refugees on various channels marching and at one point stealing from people trying to help them or even throwing rocks at busses and cars, they have been filmed using cell phones most are wearing decent clothing then I've seen refugees on other news sources from other third world countries near naked and so thin and malnourished the ones that haven't died look near death and non of them had cell phones, where's your bleeding heart for them ? you can go into any big city and find a homeless population and homeless who have died of exposer or hunger so like I said maybe it's time to look at the cause and motive and stop watching propaganda television like the one posted earlier...and you guy's thought FOX was bad....it's all the same crap just flavored differently.

Godfather.

So if I understand you GF, you think that because the current refugees are relatively well dressed and have cell phones they aren't real refugees? I wonder what you would do if war broke out in your county or state? If your neighbourhood was being bombed and there were no services? I don't know your personal circumstances but there's a good chance you might try to leave and take your family to safety, and if you did leave you'd probably try to grab some warm traveling clothing. I'm guessing you might want your cell phone so you could try to keep in contact with family and friends, maybe keep up with the news. How different do you think you'd look than some of the people you see on the news? Would you be a real refugee or not? If most of your country was a war zone, you might consider trying to cross the border to Canada for refuge, but by your logic we probably shouldn't take you in.

And for you to presume that those thinking and writing about this refugee crisis aren't also concerned about other conflict zones or the homeless in our communities is absurd.
    not looking and thinking ahead is absurd.

Godfather.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

GF, they used a videos from 2010 implying it was video of current refugees. They used false information to create fear. I get that all news is skewed but this is bad. Really bad.

Fox News does that kind of thing ALL the time. And Fox News watchers just don't seem to care. It's incredible. And amazingly fucking stupid.
    the FOX news watchers ? ? well I don't know about the rest of them but as far as this news watcher see's it the news has become so disappointing (on any station) that it's just easier skim thru the info and wait for the next story, if I said it breaks my heart to see people suffer would it make the pain and suffering of people stop ? I haven't become insensitive to the worlds problems over the years but I have paid a little more attention than I used to and it seems to me that pain and suffering have become quick media sales not just for fox but every news outlet and people have learned to use this, everybody's a victim .....attacked for no reason and all they have to do is bleed for the camera and every kind hearted citizen watching will scream in outrage for the poor bleeding people on T.V creating support for something the viewer knows very little about, train members need to understand that compassion and support have become a marketable commodities for the media outlets and there are people that will and do use that tool...not all victim's of course but way too many for me to pour my warm and fuzzy feelings out on the floor just to see the tables turn in a few short years or even days.

hope that explains it well enough.

Godfather.

GF, your long comment here explains a completely different issue. What is being discussed here is the BLATANT bait and switch FOX made: to instil fear in Americans, they showed a video clip of Syrians in 2015 - the big issue being, it was actually a video clip from 2010. How's that for misrepresenting? Please actually read the words people are spending their energy on conveying to you, as in Callen's original message on this chain. If I'm wasting my time in expecting that, please let me know, and I'll attempt a two-sided conversation with any of the many willing around here instead.

In terms of the content in your long comment - I'm not sure why someone with such disdain for the media's sensationalization opts to buy the sensationalization from one source and not them all. For all the compassion and support that some stations push, FOX then pushes the fear of a Muslim-driven American apocalypse. The problem is, this then leads one down a path to say "okay, then we should just not accept more Syrian immigrants", because this is perceived as inaction - the neutral stance.

You should try to comprehend the fact that inaction is not your right: it is a statement that you deliver loud and clear, that in your opinion, your life means more than someone else's (or, in this case, up to hundreds of thousands of others' lives). Or it is a delusion that the inclusion of others leads to your own eventual exclusion. That because you won the lottery as far as your birthplace goes - that you won't share your winnings (even if they are historically proven to pay back a dividend, as per the John Oliver segment and other stats I've seen around - I'll happily try to dig some up for you).

What's required to make this particular decision of inaction: paranoia, apathy, ill logic, selfishness, bigotry, and a poor comprehension of return on investment. I hope you don't play the stock market - your finding out that Steve Jobs was of Syrian ancestry probably would've encouraged you to sell those Apple stocks.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

GF, they used a videos from 2010 implying it was video of current refugees. They used false information to create fear. I get that all news is skewed but this is bad. Really bad.

Fox News does that kind of thing ALL the time. And Fox News watchers just don't seem to care. It's incredible. And amazingly fucking stupid.
    the FOX news watchers ? ? well I don't know about the rest of them but as far as this news watcher see's it the news has become so disappointing (on any station) that it's just easier skim thru the info and wait for the next story, if I said it breaks my heart to see people suffer would it make the pain and suffering of people stop ? I haven't become insensitive to the worlds problems over the years but I have paid a little more attention than I used to and it seems to me that pain and suffering have become quick media sales not just for fox but every news outlet and people have learned to use this, everybody's a victim .....attacked for no reason and all they have to do is bleed for the camera and every kind hearted citizen watching will scream in outrage for the poor bleeding people on T.V creating support for something the viewer knows very little about, train members need to understand that compassion and support have become a marketable commodities for the media outlets and there are people that will and do use that tool...not all victim's of course but way too many for me to pour my warm and fuzzy feelings out on the floor just to see the tables turn in a few short years or even days.

hope that explains it well enough.

Godfather.

GF, your long comment here explains a completely different issue. What is being discussed here is the BLATANT bait and switch FOX made: to instil fear in Americans, they showed a video clip of Syrians in 2015 - the big issue being, it was actually a video clip from 2010. How's that for misrepresenting? Please actually read the words people are spending their energy on conveying to you, as in Callen's original message on this chain. If I'm wasting my time in expecting that, please let me know, and I'll attempt a two-sided conversation with any of the many willing around here instead.

In terms of the content in your long comment - I'm not sure why someone with such disdain for the media's sensationalization opts to buy the sensationalization from one source and not them all. For all the compassion and support that some stations push, FOX then pushes the fear of a Muslim-driven American apocalypse. The problem is, this then leads one down a path to say "okay, then we should just not accept more Syrian immigrants", because this is perceived as inaction - the neutral stance.

You should try to comprehend the fact that inaction is not your right: it is a statement that you deliver loud and clear, that in your opinion, your life means more than someone else's (or, in this case, up to hundreds of thousands of others' lives). Or it is a delusion that the inclusion of others leads to your own eventual exclusion. That because you won the lottery as far as your birthplace goes - that you won't share your winnings (even if they are historically proven to pay back a dividend, as per the John Oliver segment and other stats I've seen around - I'll happily try to dig some up for you).

What's required to make this particular decision of inaction: paranoia, apathy, ill logic, selfishness, bigotry, and a poor comprehension of return on investment. I hope you don't play the stock market - your finding out that Steve Jobs was of Syrian ancestry probably would've encouraged you to sell those Apple stocks.
    you don't understand or don't want to, you have your own idea's about me or what you think I believe or not believe, fair enough, your statement on Steve Jobs is just a another way to send a message to the rest of the train to say that I'm a bigot at any cost, Steve Jobs was an American (imagine that) but you think throwing out the Syrian ancestry comment would discredit my thoughts on this, your a real trooper of intelligent thought, tighten up your belt and think for your self, following the crowd just tells me you don't have the common sense to think without seeking the approval of others. I try not to make personal comments about posters who state an opinion or idea, we are talking about an issue or current event not the poster so please try to leave it at that, those kind of personal comments ( or adding words ) distract from the topic.

Godfather.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    rr165892 said:

Jumping in again late here.But in the U.S. Wouldn't the majority of accepted relocated refugees from Syria seek out communities with other larger populations of similar people.Much like the Iraqis did up in Michigan and someNorth Africans did in Minnesota?

I don't think they get much of a choice. It's been a long time since I saw the documentary about the guys in Minnesota but if memory serves, if they don't have any family already in the US they just get "placed" and that results in communities like the ones you mentioned. I mean it would happen anyway, generally speaking. When people emigrate then tend to form communities, usually based around a place of worship or the availability of cultural items like specific clothing and food. That's how you get those "ethnic enclaves".
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    edited October 2015

no more than you and your source's, it's all the same info with a different presentation so if you don't like the delivery change the channel right ?

I've seen these refugees on various channels marching and at one point stealing from people trying to help them or even throwing rocks at busses and cars, they have been filmed using cell phones most are wearing decent clothing then I've seen refugees on other news sources from other third world countries near naked and so thin and malnourished the ones that haven't died look near death and non of them had cell phones, where's your bleeding heart for them ? you can go into any big city and find a homeless population and homeless who have died of exposer or hunger so like I said maybe it's time to look at the cause and motive and stop watching propaganda television like the one posted earlier...and you guy's thought FOX was bad....it's all the same crap just flavored differently.

Godfather.

So if I understand you GF, you think that because the current refugees are relatively well dressed and have cell phones they aren't real refugees? I wonder what you would do if war broke out in your county or state? If your neighbourhood was being bombed and there were no services? I don't know your personal circumstances but there's a good chance you might try to leave and take your family to safety, and if you did leave you'd probably try to grab some warm traveling clothing. I'm guessing you might want your cell phone so you could try to keep in contact with family and friends, maybe keep up with the news. How different do you think you'd look than some of the people you see on the news? Would you be a real refugee or not? If most of your country was a war zone, you might consider trying to cross the border to Canada for refuge, but by your logic we probably shouldn't take you in.

And for you to presume that those thinking and writing about this refugee crisis aren't also concerned about other conflict zones or the homeless in our communities is absurd.
    Yea, it's fascinating the some people think war refugees can only be poor people, lol. As far as I know, fanatical religious militants and bombs don't discriminate along financial lines, lol. I have NO idea where anyone got the idea that only poor people can be driven from their homes. Is that because they are not poor themselves, and simply cannot imagine it happening to their own ilk???
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    edited October 2015
    rr165892 said:

Jumping in again late here.But in the U.S. Wouldn't the majority of accepted relocated refugees from Syria seek out communities with other larger populations of similar people.Much like the Iraqis did up in Michigan and someNorth Africans did in Minnesota?

Simply many people go to the states that have room left in their quotas and relocate. A state may only have so many spots that their resettlement agencies can handle, for instance Minneapolis MN is a pretty common resettlement location for Somali refugees. Primary refugees come directly to the state. Secondary refugees that we see come from all over the country. Texas is becoming a hot state to go to originally right now. They go to Texas and then simply move to minneapolis almost immediately. The difference for them being that they do not have a resettlement agency to help them through the benefits application process and housing. So if they don't have the resources or ability to move, they are stuck where they are until they do.

I cannot imagine the feeling of utter isolation that comes with being involved in this process and having to go somewhere without an established community. Anyone reading this, if you see a refugee of any kind, if they are in you know they are in your community in anyway, smile and help very little is more gratifying than knowing you can make a difference to someone who has had to abruptly change their entire life...

that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

rr165892 said:

Simply many people go to the states that have room left in their quotas and relocate. A state may only have so many spots that their resettlement agencies can handle, for instance Minneapolis MN is a pretty common resettlement location for Somali refugees. Primary refugees come directly to the state. Secondary refugees that we see come from all over the country. Texas is becoming a hot state to go to originally right now. They go to Texas and then simply move to minneapolis almost immediately. The difference for them being that they do not have a resettlement agency to help them through the benefits application process and housing. So if they don't have the resources or ability to move, they are stuck where they are until they do.

I cannot imagine the feeling of utter isolation that comes with being involved in this process and having to go somewhere without an established community. Anyone reading this, if you see a refugee of any kind, if they are in you know they are in your community in anyway, smile and help very little is more gratifying than knowing you can make a difference to someone who has had to abruptly change their entire life...

Thanks mike, nice thoughtful post. Making them feel welcome I'm sure would make all the difference in the world. I know it would to me.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    the situation here is out of control...
    they come thousands in Greece every day....
    we cant support or feed them,,they are in every street ,every square...
    and so far was ok,,now its getting colder,start raining..its madness..
    need to solve it asap and all europe to be part
    is impossible we solve the problem alone..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Dimi,we are talking about it ,you are living with it.Please keep us updated how this is playing out.Your perspective is quite valuable here.thx
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Well said. It's impossible AND it's wrong.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited October 2015

The world definitely needs to step up.and help them and Greece out, for sure. Everyone (as in national governments) needs to pull their heads out of their asses and actually do something. Get organized. All it takes is the will to get it done and money. Government could get this under control very quickly if they wanted to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2015
    rr165892 said:

Dimi,we are talking about it ,you are living with it.Please keep us updated how this is playing out.Your perspective is quite valuable here.thx

Good thing it's play by ear there right?
    Good thing it's not at your front door.
    Let politics handle it.
    All is well in the USA as long as updates are being provided from the rest of the world.

edit - refugees haven't been the flavour of the press lately just like on the forum.
    So how are all the posters here on AMT wanting to sponsor refugees doing?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

rr165892 said:

Let politics handle it.
    All is well in the USA as long as updates are being provided from the rest of the world.

edit - refugees haven't been the flavour of the press lately just like on the forum.
    How are YOU doing with your sponsoring?

And how many owe someone else an explanation, let alone you?

I've found that the kindest people have no need to blare their horn. It's enough to just do, no megaphones needed.

Way to take a genuinely kind thought and twist it.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175

rr165892 said:

Let politics handle it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Yea, it's fascinating the some people think war refugees can only be poor people, lol. As far as I know, fanatical religious militants and bombs don't discriminate along financial lines, lol. I have NO idea where anyone got the idea that only poor people can be driven from their homes. Is that because they are not poor themselves, and simply cannot imagine it happening to their own ilk???
    just wait kiddies, and we may see what cell phones and nice clothing have to do with being a refugee and needing government assistance from your new country, I think this all will turn ugly sooner of later.

Godfather.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,560

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

just wait kiddies, and we may see what cell phones and nice clothing have to do with being a refugee and needing government assistance from your new country, I think this all will turn ugly sooner of later.

Godfather.

If and when you come out from under your rock you would see that across history not every refugee is poor and or destitute. Ones refugee status is not dependant upon their financial status.

Namaste
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Putin will fix everything. He will bomb and kill the crazies and then everyone can return to their previous dictatorship. Shows how crazy Daesh is when everyone is longing for the bad ol' days.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

If and when you come out from under your rock you would see that across history not every refugee is poor and or destitute. Ones refugee status is not dependant upon their financial status.

Namaste
    there ya go again "If and when you come out from under your rock " it's time to grow up young man, mommy can't baby you for ever.

Godfather.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Thank you for this. Nice to see that in some places in the world, people actually CARE. I seriously can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on the thread about the refugees. How some people sleep at night is baffling to me. But I guess when you have NO HEART, sleep comes easy.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Thank you for this. Nice to see that in some places in the world, people actually CARE. I seriously can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on the thread about the refugees. How some people sleep at night is baffling to me. But I guess when you have NO HEART, sleep comes easy.
    how would it be if all shared the same idea or opinion ?.....no fun at all. LOL !

Godfather.

• Options

badbrains said:

how would it be if all shared the same idea or opinion ?.....no fun at all. LOL !

Godfather.

Yeah, because the refugee crisis is SO fun, right?
    I don't think you're going to have any luck convincing people that supporting not helping people in desperate need and instead criticizing and being paranoid/suspicious about those in need is a valuable contribution to interesting diversity.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

I don't think you're going to have any luck convincing people that supporting not helping people in desperate need and instead criticizing and being paranoid/suspicious about those in need is a valuable contribution to interesting diversity.
    what have you done to help these people ? money, time
    PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

what have you done help these people ? money , time ? or does it make you feel better to say you support them and their struggle, lighten up Francis.

Godfather.

• Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    The madness goes on, as Russia starts bombing a country already devastated , here in the UK most people are conditioned and programmed by right wing media( daily mail/sun) and even some of my friends say things that leave me stunned. If you dig deep you can find the real reason, why now? When people saw that dead Syrian child understandingly they were disgusted but since the 'illegal' bombing of Iraq in 2003 dead children have been heart achingly common place, it's a crime. Order out of chaos, problem , reaction, solution(Hegelian dialectic) , conspiracies aside there is an agenda behind what we see and now with the destabilising of the Middle East , the shadows can build a world which they say is free, Afghanistan , the golden triangle (control of opium distribution) Iraq (oil)...and now why suprised that ordinary people want to flee, we all have a responsibility, imagine seeing your family die and children frightened in shock because of terrorists and western bombing, a solution is hard to see, but if I was there I would leave and walk that long road, where no one cares and everyone's opinions are created by a 'controlled media' . Empathy people.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

what have you done help these people ? money , time ? or does it make you feel better to say you support them and their struggle, lighten up Francis.

Godfather.

First of all, not specifically helping them isn't the same as specifically thinking they should not be helped at all. In fact, one has nothing to do with that other.
    Second, I have absolutely no resources to offer them, I'm sorry to say. But in any case, I wasn't talking about you sending aid (and in general, I am talking about government helping them, not individuals). I was talking about you actually feeling that the refugees don't need help, and shouldn't be helped, for various reasons.
    I must say that I am a bit sick to see those who are "against" the refugees defend their view by trying to accuse those who feel for them of not giving money and time. It is an idiotic attempt to defend an indefensible attitude towards them.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    cydonia said:

The madness goes on, as Russia starts bombing a country already devastated , here in the UK most people are conditioned and programmed by right wing media( daily mail/sun) and even some of my friends say things that leave me stunned. If you dig deep you can find the real reason, why now? When people saw that dead Syrian child understandingly they were disgusted but since the 'illegal' bombing of Iraq in 2003 dead children have been heart achingly common place, it's a crime. Order out of chaos, problem , reaction, solution(Hegelian dialectic) , conspiracies aside there is an agenda behind what we see and now with the destabilising of the Middle East , the shadows can build a world which they say is free, Afghanistan , the golden triangle (control of opium distribution) Iraq (oil)...and now why suprised that ordinary people want to flee, we all have a responsibility, imagine seeing your family die and children frightened in shock because of terrorists and western bombing, a solution is hard to see, but if I was there I would leave and walk that long road, where no one cares and everyone's opinions are created by a 'controlled media' . Empathy people.

Amen
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

You call me Francis... I'll kill 'ya.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

First of all, not specifically helping them isn't the same as specifically thinking they should not be helped at all. In fact, one has nothing to do with that other.
    Second, I have absolutely no resources to offer them, I'm sorry to say. But in any case, I wasn't talking about you sending aid (and in general, I am talking about government helping them, not individuals). I was talking about you actually feeling that the refugees don't need help, and shouldn't be helped, for various reasons.
    I must say that I am a bit sick to see those who are "against" the refugees defend their view by trying to accuse those who feel for them of not giving money and time. It is an idiotic attempt to defend an indefensible attitude towards them.
    if we had ever met you would understand that how I feel in my heart for people that need help is much different than the reality of what I am able to do and what history time and time again shows us.
    people have a habit of biting the hand that feeds them and sometimes one would have to think that they are about to be bit again.

Godfather.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

You call me Francis... I'll kill 'ya.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHHA YEAHHHHH I'm glad someone picked that up ! you rock Thirty !

Godfather.