Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,015

What about this:
    “Is there just one in a million Syrians willing to fight for Syria? Is that the deal? Is it?” Matthews asked. “Would just one in a million Americans be willing to fight for our country?”

Matthews continued his pondering over the two numbers by implying that the Islamic State could be taking Syria “from people who would rather leave for the West.”

“Some said here last night that we can’t ask Syrians to fight for their country because they have families,” Matthews said. “Well, tell that to the American families, those we care most about, who have a member of their family on their fourth-deployment right now.”

“Is it too much to ask that the Syrians lead the fight to retake Syria?” Matthew continued. “It is their country. Unless they’re willing to abandon it. And what do we think of people who do that? And besides, even if we, the United States and other European countries overthrew ISIS, we’d still have to turn Syria over to somebody. If we had Syrians playing the rightful part in the liberation of their country, they would be the ones taking it over.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/18/chris-matthews-briefly-breaks-with-left-highlights-two-numbers-on-syrian-refugee-crisis-that-dont-make-sense/

Seems to me thats how it began with little to no outside help. Only outside groups exploiting an opportunity.

Syrians remain there looking to fight for their betterment.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,681
    edited November 2015
    dignin said:

While some Americans and Canadians cower in fear and give in to terrorists, the French do the opposite.

After Attacks, France Increases Its Commitment To Refugees

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/11/18/3723440/france-refugees/

Paris restaurants defy terrorism in the most French way possible
    Parisians dine and drink amid the chaos

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/18/9753906/paris-attacks-restaurant-bar-tous-au-bistrot-campaign

To be fair, it seems to me that most Canadians, along with their government, are not cowering in fear and feel the same way France does. It's just a minority of idiots who are vocal online and a handful of moronic Conservatives who are cowering, and they are pretty much being ignored at this point. :)
    (probably also need to note that there are the same kinds of idiots in France... there is a vocal opposition to the reasoned and human official response over there too)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

While some Americans and Canadians cower in fear and give in to terrorists, the French do the opposite.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/18/9753906/paris-attacks-restaurant-bar-tous-au-bistrot-campaign

To be fair, it seems to me that most Canadians, along with their government, are not cowering in fear and feel the same way France does. It's just a minority of idiots who are vocal online and a handful of moronic Conservatives who are cowering, and they are pretty much being ignored at this point. :)
    (probably also need to note that there are the same kinds of idiots in France... there is a vocal opposition to the reasoned and human official response over there too)
    I did say some.

And a majority of Canadians.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/majority-of-canadians-oppose-trudeaus-plan-to-bring-25000-syrian-refugees-over-in-just-six-weeks-poll

Edit: 29% don't want them here. 53% think not enough time to screen them.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,587
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Why are they idiots? Can't they disagree without being labeled idiots?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Not in this particular case IMO. Has nothing to do with the act of disagreeing. It's got everything to do with their reaction to specific circumstances and their inability to distinguish fact from fiction. Not to mention their apparent inability to realize that their reactions play directly into the hands of the terrorists. Idiots.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Not in this particular case IMO. Has nothing to do with the act of disagreeing. It's got everything to do with their reaction to specific circumstances and their inability to distinguish fact from fiction. Not to mention their apparent inability to realize that their reactions play directly into the hands of the terrorists. Idiots.
    A lot of people on here think they know what the terrorists want and how they think. if that was true we would have defeated them a long time ago.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

A lot of people on here think they know what the terrorists want and how they think. if that was true we would have defeated them a long time ago.
    Riiiiight.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Riiiiight.
    So you know how the terrorists think and what their goals are? For sure? I would think the Islamic extremists would like to see more Muslims moving into Europe. Maybe they just like chaos at the end of the day and don't give a shit about Islam.

I don't think I've called anyone on here an idiot with whom I've disagreed with. I don't think the folks on here I've disagreed with in this thread are idiots. I don't look at conservative message boards but I'm sure there is just as much hate/namecalling there of liberals. I don't care about disagreeing with people but the thing that bugs me about this board is the conceited nature of the liberals toward anyone with an alternative viewpoint.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Riiiiight.
    So you know how the terrorists think and what their goals are? For sure? I would think the Islamic extremists would like to see more Muslims moving into Europe. Maybe they just like chaos at the end of the day and don't give a shit about Islam.

I don't think I've called anyone on here an idiot with whom I've disagreed with. I don't think the folks on here I've disagreed with in this thread are idiots. I don't look at conservative message boards but I'm sure there is just as much hate/namecalling there of liberals. I don't care about disagreeing with people but the thing that bugs me about this board is the conceited nature of the liberals toward anyone with an alternative viewpoint.
    I have read in quite a few places that ISIS wants Syrians to stay in Syria. Hard to have a state without anyone to subjugate or populate.

As far as idiots go, I think that politicians who ignore fact and logic are either assholes or idiots....or both. A different view point is great and healthy, as long as it is based in some kind of fact or reason. The screening process is based on reason, the numbers back that up, by any measure. These certain politicians are making their decisions based on fear or playing politics....either way, they are wrong. I couldn't give a shit if they are Republican or Democrat. Idiocy has no monopoly on any party.

Chris Matthews is scared, and wrong..... and a democrat.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Hahahahahahaha. Touché' eh. Can't stop laughing.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited November 2015
    mickeyrat said:

What about this:
    “Is there just one in a million Syrians willing to fight for Syria? Is that the deal? Is it?” Matthews asked. “Would just one in a million Americans be willing to fight for our country?”

Matthews continued his pondering over the two numbers by implying that the Islamic State could be taking Syria “from people who would rather leave for the West.”

“Some said here last night that we can’t ask Syrians to fight for their country because they have families,” Matthews said. “Well, tell that to the American families, those we care most about, who have a member of their family on their fourth-deployment right now.”

“Is it too much to ask that the Syrians lead the fight to retake Syria?” Matthew continued. “It is their country. Unless they’re willing to abandon it. And what do we think of people who do that? And besides, even if we, the United States and other European countries overthrew ISIS, we’d still have to turn Syria over to somebody. If we had Syrians playing the rightful part in the liberation of their country, they would be the ones taking it over.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/18/chris-matthews-briefly-breaks-with-left-highlights-two-numbers-on-syrian-refugee-crisis-that-dont-make-sense/

Seems to me thats how it began with little to no outside help. Only outside groups exploiting an opportunity.

Syrians remain there looking to fight for their betterment.
    It also began by allowing the US to take the reigns and arm/train the Iraqi army (then disband them), who fled Mosul and other areas and left the arms to ISIS. Also, by training, arming, and funding the FSA, who defected to join Al Nusra and ISIS, along with the arms and training. So Matthews is, typical for the mainstream, completely whitewashing the folly of the foreign intervention. He doesn't seem to be mentioning that ISIS is working toward the same goal as western allies in Syria, and against western goals in Iraq. When the stated goal of the West and our gulf allies is sectarian balkanization of Syria and regime change (ousting assad), and the whole mess was caused by intervention.....who in Syria is going to sign up? He asks “Is there just one in a million Syrians willing to fight for Syria?".....no, asshole...it's only one in a million Syrians willing to fight for the US. As it should be.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    :no_mouth:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited November 2015
    We haven't much capacity left here now, the refugees have to find a place to stay by themselves, some are sleeping outdoors. It arrives 10 000 refugees per week.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,015
    Annafalk said:

We haven't much capacity left here now, the refugees have to find a place to stay by themselves, some are sleeping outdoors. It arrives 10 000 refugees per week.

And winter is on its way........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    mickeyrat said:

Annafalk said:

And winter is on its way........
    I am worried about this situation.
  • Options
    I really don't understand why so many countries only want to address the effect of the Syrian problem which is refugees fleeing in enormous masses, but don't want to address the cause. You don't want to get involved with conflict, look the other way, let other countries take stand, and then constantly critique the whole process. But I will argue my own point that you can't go in and wipe out a countries government, half ass rebuild/reform it, then back out too fast. The craziness is that no one wants to admit to mistakes. Liberals blame conservatives and vice versa. Stop the fucking blame game. Fix the fucking problems, learn from mistakes, and try to avoid them in the future. Some problems are not politically correct. Too many extreme agendas on any side. Time for all the rational people to come forward and make a stand for what's morally good, not just political.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,350
    PP193448 said:

I really don't understand why so many countries only want to address the effect of the Syrian problem which is refugees fleeing in enormous masses, but don't want to address the cause. You don't want to get involved with conflict, look the other way, let other countries take stand, and then constantly critique the whole process. But I will argue my own point that you can't go in and wipe out a countries government, half ass rebuild/reform it, then back out too fast. The craziness is that no one wants to admit to mistakes. Liberals blame conservatives and vice versa. Stop the fucking blame game. Fix the fucking problems, learn from mistakes, and try to avoid them in the future. Some problems are not politically correct. Too many extreme agendas on any side. Time for all the rational people to come forward and make a stand for what's morally good, not just political.

When will we as a country get it thru our dense minds that we can't impose the western democratic way of life upon them they want all outside influence to go away ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

PP193448 said:

When will we as a country get it thru our dense minds that we can't impose the western democratic way of life upon them they want all outside influence to go away ...
    Agreed
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    edited November 2015
    PP193448 said:

PP193448 said:

Agreed
    All outside influence? Are you referring to politics alone? Because I've personally seen women in burqas walking in groups with all of them carrying expensive designer handbags.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    eddiec said:

PP193448 said:

PP193448 said:

Agreed
    All outside influence? Are you referring to politics alone? Because I've personally seen women in burqas walking in groups with all of them carrying expensive designer handbags.
    I thought that's what he was referring to, politics. Forcing democracy on people that don't want it. But the problem is what to do about those people who are succumbed to extremists regime that commit aggression to their own people and condone terrorism.
  • Options
    Hey look, we have a thread about the refugee crisis. Imagine that.

Canada's plan

Canada's Syrian refugee plan limited to women, children and families
    Unaccompanied men not included because of ongoing security concerns

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-refugee-plan-women-children-families-1.3330185

• Options
    dignin said:

Canada's plan

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-refugee-plan-women-children-families-1.3330185

I'm satisfied.

Let's up the numbers then.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

dignin said:

Canada's plan

I'm satisfied.

It is definitely an interesting solution to a political hot potato.
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Canada's plan

I'm satisfied.

It is definitely an interesting solution to a political hot potato.
    It makes sense. It's what I was hoping for- I heard some crazy stats (unconfirmed of course) that had me concerned.

This balances the need to help with the need to exercise a degree of caution.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Hasn't there been an increase in female suicide bombers recently though?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Holy Christ I never thought of this.

Fak.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

Holy Christ I never thought of this.

Fak.
    My sarcasm detector is broken
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435