• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,587
    edited November 2015
    dignin said:
    I understand your point. Assimilation is easier in the USA. I went through the last four years of data and it looks like roughly half of the refugees come from the Middle East, and of those half from Bhutan. So you can probably take that 750,000 refugee stat and change it to about 190,000 refugees since 911 from basically Iraq. We've let only a few hundred in from Syria. Of that 190,000 how many were women and young children? The number keeps getting smaller.

Now, compare that to several million looking to enter Europe just from Syria and there is a different story. Assimilation isn't working well in Europe. ISIS is just a few years old so who knows what they have planned.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576

dignin said:
    I understand your point. Assimilation is easier in the USA. I went through the last four years of data and it looks like roughly half of the refugees come from the Middle East, and of those half from Bhutan. So you can probably take that 750,000 refugee stat and change it to about 190,000 refugees since 911 from basically Iraq. We've let only a few hundred in from Syria. Of that 190,000 how many were women and young children? The number keeps getting smaller.

Now, compare that to several million looking to enter Europe just from Syria and there is a different story. Assimilation isn't working well in Europe. ISIS is just a few years old so who knows what they have planned.
    Bhutan?
    That has to be some sort of spell check generated mistake.

• Options
    edited November 2015

dignin said:

Bhutan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutan

I had not heard of it either. Near Nepal.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited November 2015

dignin said:

Bhutan?

I really hope you're joking, otherwise you'll be confirming a couple of stereotypes about the geographical knowledge of Americans ;)
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

Bhutan?

I really hope you're joking, otherwise you'll be confirming a couple of stereotypes about the geographical knowledge of Americans ;)
    Can it be considered a stereotype at this point?

;)
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Bhutan?

;)
    I was attempting to be diplomatic ;)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840

dignin said:

dignin said:

Bhutan?

;)
    My parents were there last year if that helps.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Bhutan?

;)
    What brought them there? Interesting choice for a holiday destination!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840

eddiec said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Bhutan?

;)
    This:

• Options
    eddiec said:

eddiec said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Bhutan?

;)
    This:

Ok, I can see the attraction alright :)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,018
    http://www.idsnews.com/article/2015/11/pence-syrian-refugees?_h=851bab94-ab5c-432f-81d5-28fe2cbf6bb4

They are fleeing ISIS yet Indiana Gov Mike Pence won't help....what a douche
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    edited November 2015

dignin said:

Bhutan?

HaH
    No i know all about Bhutan. It's a beautiful place whose govt. measures the GNH of its populace (gross national happiness). In fact I'm working on a trip to Bhutan/Nepal/Tibet hopefully next year.

Based on what was written above, America supposedly took in 175, 000 refugees from Bhutan since 9/11. I did a little research and found that as of 2013 the population of Bhutan was 774, 000 and that there have been 73,000 Bhutanese who have immigrated to the U.S. over the years. So the number above can't apply to Bhutan.

Todays geography lesson is concluded
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options

dignin said:

Bhutan?

dignin said:

Bhutan?

HaH
    No i know all about Bhutan. It's a beautiful place whose govt. measures the GNH of its populace (gross national happiness). In fact I'm working on a trip to Bhutan/Nepal/Tibet hopefully next year.

Based on what was written above, America supposedly took in 175, 000 refugees from Bhutan since 9/11. I did a little research and found that as of 2013 the population of Bhutan was 774, 000 and that there have been 73,000 Bhutanese who have immigrated to the U.S. over the years. So the number above can't apply to Bhutan.

Todays geography lesson is concluded
    I had only looked at the last four years or so. I didn't review all 14 years.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Has anyone else noted that the core of anti-refugee sentiment is the notion that American lives are inherently more valuable than Syrian lives? It's insane, and it's so widespread I am starting to feel as embarassed to be an American as I was in '01 to '08.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,241
    rgambs said:

Has anyone else noted that the core of anti-refugee sentiment is the notion that American lives are inherently more valuable than Syrian lives? It's insane, and it's so widespread I am starting to feel as embarassed to be an American as I was in '01 to '08.

i'm not sure i would characterize it exactly as that but it does feel a lot like the end of 2001. The 'drilling for fear' sentiment is just crazy by these so-called leaders. they make it seem like ISIS is going to be on every corner in America if we take refugees in. Pretty sad and frightening from so called leaders.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

i'm not sure i would characterize it exactly as that but it does feel a lot like the end of 2001. The 'drilling for fear' sentiment is just crazy by these so-called leaders. they make it seem like ISIS is going to be on every corner in America if we take refugees in. Pretty sad and frightening from so called leaders.
    I'm seeing hundreds of comments that go "if even 1 of the refugees is a terrorist we shouldn't let any in, it isn't worth the risk to America lives"
    That's pretty clear to me.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

The sad point of this sentiment is that most of the refugees suffered more from ISIS than any American or European, ever will do in his or her life.... Most of them are just fleeing from the terror ISIS and Assad are creating in Syria, it's shameful, how we are being lead by fear... By the way most terrorists in Europe are home breed second or third generation Muslims, no import... But I suppose it's easier to sell, for politicians that the enemy is from outside because then we don't have any responsibility in raising them...
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,410
    pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

As someone who works with young adult refugees, all this fear mongering and xenophobic ranting in this country at this moment disgusts me to no end.
    These young people I work with are the most amazing, resilient, and thankful people I've ever met.

When I hear these loons spouting shit like "would you take these people into your home," I gladly reply "Yes. Yes I would."

I could go on, but I'll just get more pissed than I already am.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,350

pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

As someone who works with young adult refugees, all this fear mongering and xenophobic ranting in this country at this moment disgusts me to no end.
    These young people I work with are the most amazing, resilient, and thankful people I've ever met.

When I hear these loons spouting shit like "would you take these people into your home," I gladly reply "Yes. Yes I would."

I could go on, but I'll just get more pissed than I already am.
    Well of course they are!
    They have been fully vetted and screened.
    The ones that are coming here have you numbskull they are been screened stringently at the camps that they are in as far as I know they are not washing up on our shores , man you are a fear monger of the highest level ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,350
    It takes approximately 12 to 24 months to process a refugee before they are granted access to this country ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,018
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/jeb-bush-gets-stumped-gop-candidate-cant-explain-how-refugees-will-prove-theyre-christian/

you know...if you take a position like that shouldn't you expect a question like this?

Total dumbass
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/jeb-bush-gets-stumped-gop-candidate-cant-explain-how-refugees-will-prove-theyre-christian/

you know...if you take a position like that shouldn't you expect a question like this?

Total dumbass

No Christians have never been on the side of terrorism... Wasn't the pope during WWII not pro Germany? And how about all those Crusades, all peaceful weren't they? Just an other walk in the park...
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    What about this:
    “Is there just one in a million Syrians willing to fight for Syria? Is that the deal? Is it?” Matthews asked. “Would just one in a million Americans be willing to fight for our country?”

Matthews continued his pondering over the two numbers by implying that the Islamic State could be taking Syria “from people who would rather leave for the West.”

“Some said here last night that we can’t ask Syrians to fight for their country because they have families,” Matthews said. “Well, tell that to the American families, those we care most about, who have a member of their family on their fourth-deployment right now.”

“Is it too much to ask that the Syrians lead the fight to retake Syria?” Matthew continued. “It is their country. Unless they’re willing to abandon it. And what do we think of people who do that? And besides, even if we, the United States and other European countries overthrew ISIS, we’d still have to turn Syria over to somebody. If we had Syrians playing the rightful part in the liberation of their country, they would be the ones taking it over.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/18/chris-matthews-briefly-breaks-with-left-highlights-two-numbers-on-syrian-refugee-crisis-that-dont-make-sense/
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    While some Americans and Canadians cower in fear and give in to terrorists, the French do the opposite.

After Attacks, France Increases Its Commitment To Refugees

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/11/18/3723440/france-refugees/

Paris restaurants defy terrorism in the most French way possible
    Parisians dine and drink amid the chaos

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/18/9753906/paris-attacks-restaurant-bar-tous-au-bistrot-campaign